PDA

View Full Version : Postcard from Iona

canuck
12-Mar-07, 12:26
Hello Everyone,

Greetings from the Iona Community on the Island of Iona in Argyll.

Life is taking on a new set of challenges as I settle in to the role of "cook's assistant" in my 3 month volunteer involvement in the Community. The weather was our first obstacle. It took the ferry boat three attempts before we were able to dock on our arrival. The cold, the rain and the wind continue. I suppose that it is normal!. Thanks to DrSzin for highly recommending winter clothing and to Chobbersjnr for the idea of a "heavy" fleece. I found one in a shop in Oban "on sale."

Internet access is very limited. I share a dial up connection with 40 people! But I shall try to pop on from time to time.

It was great to meet with so many orgers in my quick dash around Scotland 2 weeks ago. Here's hoping that everyone is well.

And as all post cards end I shall also write "wishing you were here."

canuck

Angela
12-Mar-07, 12:30
lovely to hear from you, canuck :D

I wish I was "there" too! :lol:

Piglet
12-Mar-07, 12:30
Nice to hear from you Canuck. :Razz

Take care

golach
12-Mar-07, 12:31
Nice to see you again, dont work too hard and wrap up warmly, goodness I sound like your grandfather :lol:

Victoria
12-Mar-07, 12:40
Glad to hear all is well Canuck!

I really wish I was there too even if it is windy and rainy!!!

canuck
12-Mar-07, 12:42
Nice to see you again, dont work too hard and wrap up warmly, goodness I sound like your grandfather :lol:

I don't think that I have ever worked so hard in my life! Feeding 65 people is taxing!

As to keeping warm, well I have 4 layers on most of the time. Twice a day we sit in the unheated Abbey watching our breath as we speak or sing. Yesterday there was an island baptism and the steam rose from the baptismal font!

At least I begin to warm up when I am baking the bread! As the only "close to being a Scot" in the kitchen I have to make the scones, shortbread and oatcakes because I am the only one who has not only made them, but eaten them before.

pat
12-Mar-07, 15:26
Enjoy your stay on that beautiful calm peaceful island (even if it is cold) just keep adding the layers until you feel warm, windchill will cut through everything, keep on the move and enjoy your cooking skills.

lin
12-Mar-07, 15:32
It sounds very hard work. Keep warm and try to enjoy. :)

squidge
12-Mar-07, 19:31
Hi Canuk

I am glad you got there safely and its lovely to hear from you. Enjoy your stay and i am sure the people you are feeding will enjoy your cooking

:)

Sporran
12-Mar-07, 20:19
Hello Everyone,

Greetings from the Iona Community on the Island of Iona in Argyll.

Life is taking on a new set of challenges as I settle in to the role of "cook's assistant" in my 3 month volunteer involvement in the Community. The weather was our first obstacle. It took the ferry boat three attempts before we were able to dock on our arrival. The cold, the rain and the wind continue. I suppose that it is normal!. Thanks to DrSzin for highly recommending winter clothing and to Chobbersjnr for the idea of a "heavy" fleece. I found one in a shop in Oban "on sale."

Internet access is very limited. I share a dial up connection with 40 people! But I shall try to pop on from time to time.

It was great to meet with so many orgers in my quick dash around Scotland 2 weeks ago. Here's hoping that everyone is well.

And as all post cards end I shall also write "wishing you were here."

canuck

I don't think that I have ever worked so hard in my life! Feeding 65 people is taxing!

As to keeping warm, well I have 4 layers on most of the time. Twice a day we sit in the unheated Abbey watching our breath as we speak or sing. Yesterday there was an island baptism and the steam rose from the baptismal font!

At least I begin to warm up when I am baking the bread! As the only "close to being a Scot" in the kitchen I have to make the scones, shortbread and oatcakes because I am the only one who has not only made them, but eaten them before.

Great to hear from you again, "Canuck the cook"! That does sound like quite a challenge, cooking for 65 people!! :eek: You will end up being the "hostess with the mostest" after this, and throwing a big house party will be a piece of cake for you! ;)

It sounds amazingly cold and windy on Iona - far worse than a piercing Caithness gale, I assume! I'm glad you bought suitable clothing ahead of time!

I'm pleased you have internet access now, even though it is very limited. We look forward to hearing from you, whenever possible!

Elenna
12-Mar-07, 21:55
It's great hearing from you, Canuck! It sounds like its all being quite an adventure for you so far, and I hope that very happily continues for the rest of your stay. Take best care, and we all will look forward to hearing more from you, when you can manage.

Errogie
15-Mar-07, 19:47
Cannuck,
Keep a weather eye on the sea for visiting saints and vikings with less charitable ambitions. Was the water preheated to prevent the to be baptised infant from protesting too much or to stop ice from forming?

canuck
16-Mar-07, 18:40
Cannuck,
Keep a weather eye on the sea for visiting saints and vikings with less charitable ambitions. Was the water preheated to prevent the to be baptised infant from protesting too much or to stop ice from forming?

Gosh, is rich actually making his way this far?

Water may have been preheated. I certainly follow that practise, but the point I was making is that the room was so cold that steam was rising from luke warm water.

I taken to knitting socks as I wait in line to get access to the computer.

canuck
21-Mar-07, 13:03
Hello All,

Not much to see today. It is so foggy that Mull is a blur in the distance.

We had a visitor last week who was born in Wick, but now lives in Nova Scotia (Canada). That was very exciting.

We shall have to have a big org gathering once I have finished my term here. I have learned how to cook for 60. Even G2 can come as I am aquiring the skill of veganism.

Everyone take care.

JAWS
21-Mar-07, 14:18
It's nice and clear over here and quite bright, even though the sun isn't out.
I hope they are not teaching you to "stir the pot" whilst you are in the kitchens, that's my job! :lol:

Nice to hear from you, hurry up back, we are all missing you.

weeboyagee
21-Mar-07, 14:50
Sorry canuck - I was over in Mull at the weekend staying in Salen and totally forgot that you were on Iona! Sorry to have missed you - my apologies - I will remember the next time I am down!

WBG :cool:

Angela
21-Mar-07, 17:02
I'm really looking forward to the banquet you're going to cook for us all, canuck! :D can't wait :lol:

canuck
27-Mar-07, 12:59
JAWS, stirring the pot takes on a whole new meaning when it is rice pudding for 60 people. A whole new set of muscles too. The good news, my fitness level is improving daily.

The sun is out today and it is really quite beautiful. It reminds me of the old song we had in North America, "Here I am a Camp (whatever it was)". For those not familiar with it, the boy is writing his parents asking to be taken home, until the rain stops and the sun comes out and all of a sudden it isn't so bad.

We had a ceilidh last night. Okay, not a real one because we used scratchy music recordings, but it was an occasion for several simple Scottish dances (again as the token Scot in the group I get to show the others how to do them.) The highlight though was the young man from Bath or Cardiff or Lancaster (some place south of here) who recited The Jabberwalk. Oh, J4 from Orkney, you would have been proud.

Well, lunch in 10 minutes and I have a mile hike to get there. I am hoping for an Edi chapter meeting on April 10.

Gleber2
27-Mar-07, 13:46
You'll have fun when it stops raining. Watch out for alligators.

MadPict
27-Mar-07, 15:35
How does a simple Scot dance?

Glad you're having a nice time. And rice pudding? Surely that should be a big pot of porridge? With salt...

golach
27-Mar-07, 15:39
Canuck, busy arranging a venue at the moment and will throw open an invitation to all who will be in Auld Reekie on the 10th April to celebrate your escape from Stalag Iona [lol]

percy toboggan
27-Mar-07, 16:36
Last year, an excellent BBC Radio 4 play told the true story of the building of a church hall type thing on Iona. No doubt the people there will know of it. It's well worth a listen but I regret I cannot remember the title of the drama.

Sporran
28-Mar-07, 18:26
Canuck, busy arranging a venue at the moment and will throw open an invitation to all who will be in Auld Reekie on the 10th April to celebrate your escape from Stalag Iona [lol]

I hope you folk will be taking our Canuck out for a nice meal as well. She deserves a treat after cooking for so many at Stalag Iona! I'm sure she won't want any rice pudding for dessert, though! ;)

golach
28-Mar-07, 19:48
I hope you folk will be taking our Canuck out for a nice meal as well. She deserves a treat after cooking for so many at Stalag Iona! I'm sure she won't want any rice pudding for dessert, though! ;)
If you dont come and see, we are not going to tell what the Edin Chapter of the .Org get up to Sporran [lol]

Ricco
29-Mar-07, 07:56
Hi ya, Canuck. It'll be Canuck the bannock soon. ;)

I sneak you some reuseable handwarmers in a Red Cross parcel. They last for a few hours and then you simply boil them for 10 minutes to re-set them.

canuck
16-Apr-07, 15:41

Thank you to the Edi chapter members who were such great hosts while I was in your fair city last week. Sporran, they did indeed wine and dine me to the highest level of civility.

The weather has improved greatly here. The days seem almost summer like. We enjoyed ice cream on the lawn on Sunday - totally civilized!

6 more weeks lie ahead. My hope is that things won't be quite so chilly and I can get down to just a few layers of sweaters and coats. I must go. Rice pudding is on the menu tonight! But a bit of pick-up volleyball seems to have strengthened the muscles I need for stirring the pot.

canuck
16-Apr-07, 15:43
Hi ya, Canuck. It'll be Canuck the bannock soon. ;)

I sneak you some reuseable handwarmers in a Red Cross parcel. They last for a few hours and then you simply boil them for 10 minutes to re-set them.

Ricco, you treasure!

Victoria
16-Apr-07, 16:35
It really sounds like your having a fantastic time Canuck.

All the best

Victoria x

sassylass
17-Apr-07, 04:27
snip It reminds me of the old song we had in North America, "Here I am a Camp (whatever it was)". For those not familiar with it, the boy is writing his parents asking to be taken home, until the rain stops and the sun comes out and all of a sudden it isn't so bad. snip

lol Canuck, is that Alan Sherman singing Camp Granada? A most amusing little song. Glad to hear you are getting along so well. I must admit to being a bit envious, even with the 4 layers of clothing and kitchen duties it sounds quite nice.

golach
17-Apr-07, 09:12
lol Canuck, is that Alan Sherman singing Camp Granada? A most amusing little song. Glad to hear you are getting along so well. I must admit to being a bit envious, even with the 4 layers of clothing and kitchen duties it sounds quite nice.
Sassy is this the one you mean? I can just see Canuck sitting at her laptop singing this [lol]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu1Cz5QTU3A

Sporran
17-Apr-07, 17:45
Thank you to the Edi chapter members who were such great hosts while I was in your fair city last week. Sporran, they did indeed wine and dine me to the highest level of civility.

The weather has improved greatly here. The days seem almost summer like. We enjoyed ice cream on the lawn on Sunday - totally civilized!

6 more weeks lie ahead. My hope is that things won't be quite so chilly and I can get down to just a few layers of sweaters and coats. I must go. Rice pudding is on the menu tonight! But a bit of pick-up volleyball seems to have strengthened the muscles I need for stirring the pot.

Canuck, glad to hear the Edi chapter members took good care of you last week, and that the weather has improved greatly in Iona. :)

I remember Allan Sherman's song parody, Camp Granada, from my childhood. Here's my version, Camp Iona, which I have dedicated to you, Canuck. Hope you like it! ;)

Hello Caithness, hello Orgers,
Here I am at Camp Iona,
Camp is very entertaining,
And they say we'll have some fun if it stops raining.

I am cooking for an army,
And at times it drives me barmy,
For dessert, we have rice puddin',
And I stir it with a spoon that's big and wooden.

Went to Edi for some respite,
My pals took me for a nice bite,
Drank a glass of French Beaujolais,
Followed by dessert of scrumptious Creme Brulee.

Six more weeks here, on Iona,
But I don't feel so alone-a,
Weather's warmer than it first was,
Hope to toss my flannels soon and wear some silk gauze!

canuck
19-Apr-07, 12:26
That's it, that's the one! Thank you for the new version.

Rice pudding took a new twist this week. The pudding rice disappeared from the pantry and I was left with something less useful. Ah, well, a bit of cornstarch as fixitive and all was well. John Bell rescued me with sound support for my new dessert which I renamed as "Rocky Mountain Snowtop".

Angela
19-Apr-07, 12:40
That's it, that's the one! Thank you for the new version.

Rice pudding took a new twist this week. The pudding rice disappeared from the pantry and I was left with something less useful. Ah, well, a bit of cornstarch as fixitive and all was well. John Bell rescued me with sound support for my new dessert which I renamed as "Rocky Mountain Snowtop".

Hope you've got a dentist there on Iona, canuck, sounds as if that could be a toothbreaker? :eek:

Sporran
19-Apr-07, 18:32
Canuck, I'm delighted that you liked my new version of Camp Granada! :D

Have you had to make pots of porridge as part of your culinary tasks? How about Scotch Broth, or any other kinds of soup?

canuck
25-Apr-07, 17:06

Have you had to make pots of porridge as part of your culinary tasks? How about Scotch Broth, or any other kinds of soup?

Oh, yes, I am the resident expert on porridge, oat cakes and shortbread!
We don't have meat in soup so Scotch Broth will have to wait until I return to Canada.

I went sheep herding yesterday. A local farmer needed some warm bodies to help with getting the animals into a pen, so our head cook volunteered the kitchen staff. It was just like herding buffalo, one of those skills one learns growing up on the Canadian prairie.

Sporran
25-Apr-07, 18:04

Oh, yes, I am the resident expert on porridge, oat cakes and shortbread!
We don't have meat in soup so Scotch Broth will have to wait until I return to Canada.

I went sheep herding yesterday. A local farmer needed some warm bodies to help with getting the animals into a pen, so our head cook volunteered the kitchen staff. It was just like herding buffalo, one of those skills one learns growing up on the Canadian prairie.

Well, there's certainly never a dull moment for you on Iona, Canuck, and I greatly admire your endurance! We are all very proud of you here! :)

I have added some more verses to Camp Iona for you....

Hello Caithness, hello Orgers,
I am still at Camp Iona,
Made some porridge, for our breakfast,
Baking oatcakes and shortbread was then my next task.

Yesterday, a local farmer,
Needed bodies, who were warmer,
To herd his sheep into a pen,
And I said "Yes of course, on me you can depend!"

The woolly sheep were a-bleating,
Even so, I'd not be beaten,
Just like herding the buffalo,
I said '"Come on there chaps, into the pen you go!"

canuck
28-Apr-07, 16:36
The weather is really quite remarkable today. It is warm and sunny!

I had a wonderful experience on Thursday. I took the ferry to Mull and then the bus to Tobermory. What a beautiful little town it is. Of course, all of Scotland is beautiful, but some parts just a wee bit more special.

Now I am back at my Iona tasks. Only 4 more weeks to go, but I'm not really counting!

Greetings to everyone.

MadPict
28-Apr-07, 16:53
The whole point of the ferry and bus is an escape plan - you're not meant to go back!!!

Glad to hear the weather is being kind. While the sun shines, make porridge?...

:D

Moira
29-Apr-07, 00:40
We've had a lot of sun & some warmth here in Wick this week too. It makes all the difference.

Glad to hear you're bearing up & your culinary skills have improved with regard to good old Scottish cooking. Have you tried lasagne on them yet or are they not quite ready for this? ;)

I've marked the 4-week countdown here & will pm you in time for you to catch your flight!

golach
29-Apr-07, 11:45
The whole point of the ferry and bus is an escape plan - you're not meant to go back!!!

Glad to hear the weather is being kind. While the sun shines, make porridge?...

:D

I thought the Tobermory trip was the escape plan, Why did you go back or were you captured Canuck :confused

canuck
03-May-07, 17:01
Gosh, I never thought of the Tobermory trip as an escape plan. You are right, why did I come back? I have no idea other than my passport and airplane ticket being held in the community safe.

Because of good behaviour on my last day away I was given a night pass to see Camus. Now there is one beautiful spot! Yesterday we ate breakfast on the rocks. I even waded around in the Atlantic waters. I am beginning to understand WBG's passion for Mull.

It really is spring here now. The herb garden is producing and I am learning to cook with fresh herbs. What a treat!

No one has figured out how to match my shortbread and I am the only one allowed to make the citrus poppy seed cake.

MadPict
03-May-07, 18:00
Ze shortbread und ze citrus poppy seed kuchen mean zat you can never leave....

canuck
10-May-07, 17:19
Madpict, a stormtropper avatar, how fabulous. I love stormtroppers.

I have taught the Camas crew how to make shortbread. They love me! They may keep me to keep making it for them.

Sporran
15-May-07, 19:39
Well I hope somebody baked a few treats for YOU this past Sunday, Canuck, seeing as it was Mother's Day in Canada, and several other countries around the world!

canuck
18-May-07, 20:58
Well I hope somebody baked a few treats for YOU this past Sunday, Canuck, seeing as it was Mother's Day in Canada, and several other countries around the world!

Sporran, thank you for remembering. My daughter sent a lovely card and my son sent a baseball magazine and a package of Canadian maple leaf cookies.

Next week I am off to the bright lights of Edinburgh for a few days and then home to Canada on May 28th. I have to learn to watch for traffic, there being only a few cars allowed on the island.

Now I am off to my final Friday night worship service in the Abbey.

Sporran
21-May-07, 12:41
Canuck, I'm sure you'll be very much missed when you leave Iona!

Have fun in Auld Reekie, and enjoy being back home in Canada! :)

canuck
21-May-07, 16:29
I have finished my last shift now! I was the only volunteer to make it through the kitchen appointment without burning myself!

I have taught the new German volunteer how to make shortbread and the Swedish gal can make fabulous oatcakes. So I am leaving Iona in good hands.

I will be travelling to Edinburgh on Wednesday. I won't be able to get to Caithness before returning to Canada, but with any luck I'll be back in Scotland permanently by the end of the summer. I now have been received as a minister of the Church of Scotland.

Moira
21-May-07, 18:24
Great news about the Church, Canuck. Congratulations. Hope to see you soon :)

Sporran
22-May-07, 06:35
Congratulations on being received as a minister of the Church of Scotland, Canuck! :)

You and the EdinbOrg. chapter have much to celebrate this week! I hear the first round is on Golach. ;)

Elenna
22-May-07, 10:34
Congratulations, Canuck! That is wonderful news. Have a great time in Edinburgh, and a safe journey back to Canada, and hopefully we will look forward to welcoming you back to Scotland again very soon! :)

golach
23-May-07, 23:05
Great news, Canuck has escaped from Colditz Iona, and is safe and well in a secret location in Edinburgh, she is resting up tonight, and sends her love and regards to all.
Sporran, she will be well looked after, and the Edi Chapter will send you the bill [lol]

MadPict
23-May-07, 23:08
Just don't serve her porridge for breakfast.......

Cedric Farthsbottom III
24-May-07, 00:06
A true gem ye are canuck.Hope ye enjoyed Iona.Let the Edinboro chapter spoil ye,but hope it won't be long afore the Caithness chapter spoil ye once again.:D :D

Lolabelle
24-May-07, 00:59
Lovely to see you about the org again, Canuck. We've missed you. But I am jealous that you are even getting to go there at all. Sigh, oh well one day....:~(

Sporran
24-May-07, 15:09
Great news, Canuck has escaped from Colditz Iona, and is safe and well in a secret location in Edinburgh, she is resting up tonight, and sends her love and regards to all.
Sporran, she will be well looked after, and the Edi Chapter will send you the bill [lol]

Glad to hear that the Great Escape has been successfully accomplished! :-)

Golach, did I no tell ye that I've changed my address recently? ;)

golach
24-May-07, 15:59
Glad to hear that the Great Escape has been successfully accomplished! :-)

Golach, did I no tell ye that I've changed my address recently?
Just met Canuck again, let her loose in Edinburgh, within an hour, she had met HRH Prince Andrew :eek: , then it all went downhill, coffee with DrSzin, then sannies in Princes St Gardens with me...in the rain What a come down .
HRH asked her if she was Canuck from the .Org [lol]

Sporran
24-May-07, 16:13
Just met Canuck again, let her loose in Edinburgh, within an hour, she had met HRH Prince Andrew :eek: , then it all went downhill, coffee with DrSzin, then sannies in Princes St Gardens with me...in the rain What a come down .
HRH asked her if she was Canuck from the .Org [lol]

Oh my goodness! HRH Prince Andrew?!? He's one of my favourite royals!!!

Canuck is a very lucky lady indeed!!! :-)

Ricco
24-May-07, 19:46
I have finished my last shift now! I was the only volunteer to make it through the kitchen appointment without burning myself!

I have taught the new German volunteer how to make shortbread and the Swedish gal can make fabulous oatcakes. So I am leaving Iona in good hands.

I will be travelling to Edinburgh on Wednesday. I won't be able to get to Caithness before returning to Canada, but with any luck I'll be back in Scotland permanently by the end of the summer. I now have been received as a minister of the Church of Scotland.

Wa, hey! Excellent news - congratulations, Canuck. Well done.;)

Moira
24-May-07, 22:53
HRH asked her if she was Canuck from the .Org

Sounds like Canuck is really a lucky lady Golach, having met your good self, the mysterious DrS & HRH Prince Andrew all in the one day. Not many folk would have been able to cope with that ;)

canuck
25-May-07, 16:37
Sounds like Canuck is really a lucky lady Golach, having met your good self, the mysterious DrS & HRH Prince Andrew all in the one day. Not many folk would have been able to cope with that ;)

It is me! Live and well and living in east end Edinburgh. Pepsi Challenge, I can see your digs from here!

I have found a library with a free computer and have a moment to post a note.

The Prince Andrew meeting was indeed an experience. I was calmly (well as calmly as I do anything) having a wee chat with MadPict's sister and her daughter when the royal Andrew entered the room (he was hosting the reception) and walked directly over to us. He shook our hands and just chatted as if it was a normal gathering of friends.

It was straight from there to coffee with the doc and then on to sannies with golach. Unfortunately the ten minute walk between the places of meeting up with those fine orgers took over half an hour. DrSzin will learn that he must not point me down an Edinburgh street and say, 'Go that way', without better directions for what 'that way' really means. Oh, well, at this end of the city the streets are better organized and I had a find explore this morning.

Hugs and kisses to everyone.

Sporran
27-May-07, 04:43
It is me! Live and well and living in east end Edinburgh. Pepsi Challenge, I can see your digs from here!

I have found a library with a free computer and have a moment to post a note.

The Prince Andrew meeting was indeed an experience. I was calmly (well as calmly as I do anything) having a wee chat with MadPict's sister and her daughter when the royal Andrew entered the room (he was hosting the reception) and walked directly over to us. He shook our hands and just chatted as if it was a normal gathering of friends.

It was straight from there to coffee with the doc and then on to sannies with golach. Unfortunately the ten minute walk between the places of meeting up with those fine orgers took over half an hour. DrSzin will learn that he must not point me down an Edinburgh street and say, 'Go that way', without better directions for what 'that way' really means. Oh, well, at this end of the city the streets are better organized and I had a find explore this morning.

Hugs and kisses to everyone.

Canuck, perhaps our doctor friend thought you might enjoy the longer, more scenic route! ;)

Please proceed with caution as you walk around the streets of Edinburgh. You might even want to invest in a safety helmet! I was reading that Prince Andrew escaped injury from a large chunk of falling masonry by a matter of hours, last weekend! :eek: According to "The Scotsman", the problem of falling masonry has dogged Edinburgh over the past few years.....

http://news.scotsman.com/edinburgh.cfm?id=800952007

Sporran
27-May-07, 19:06
That tune from Allan Sherman's "Camp Granada" has been playing in my head again, Canuck, so I'm afraid I just couldn't resist writing another song for you! Hope you enjoy! :)

Here I am now, in Auld Reekie,
And I've had a lovely weekie,
Edi's very entertaining,
Glad I made my Great Escape from Camp Iona!

Met Prince Andrew, this past Thursday,
He was charming, that I must say,
He gave me the Royal handshake,
Had to pinch myself to see if I was awake!

Then met Doc Szin for some coffee,
His directions were bit offie,
I ended up the long way round,
Got rather lost before my way was finally found!

Next met Golach for some sannies,
And he's such a friendly mannie,
Sitting in Princes Street Gardens,
We both got wet, and the rain we had to pardon!

Soon I'll be back in Canada,
With my tales of Camp Iona,
Like Dorothy, I'll be back home,
At end of summer, back to Scotland I will roam! :)

canuck
30-May-07, 21:01
The journey of a lifetime has come to its end. I have returned to my little house in Waterdown. My time in Scotland was truly remarkable. Thanks to everyone who received me so warmly when I visited Caithness in February.

To the Edinburgh orgers, your hospitality is special.

Thank you to everyone who posted during my months at Iona. I really appreciated the connections with the outside world. Sporran your poetry was fabulous!

And now we can bring this thread to a happy close. Good night one and all.