PDA

View Full Version : Scottish companies not getting their fair share of Defence work

Rheghead
04-Jul-14, 10:21
Scottish small to medium size companies are getting just 40% of their population share of defence work. The Union is not working for Scotland.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scotland-s-smes-shortchanged-by-westminster-1-3466154

sids
04-Jul-14, 12:02
Independence would sort that out.

All new Scottish Non-Royal Navy battleships will be built in Aviemore.

Big Gaz
04-Jul-14, 14:00
All new Scottish Non-Royal Navy battleships will be built in Aviemore.

Hmm, i reckon they would all need to be pocket battleships if they have to sail their way up the wee burn to get to the coast from Aviemore......

joxville
04-Jul-14, 14:09
Why do we need a defence force anyway, everyone loves us so who's going to invade us? The money saved on spending on nuclear weapons/army/Air Force/navy will easily pay for better equipped and staffed hospitals, better schools, better roads, and a but 'n' ben as Eck's weekend retreat. :-)

PantsMAN
04-Jul-14, 14:10
#2 and #3 posts above are hilarious. I don't know how you guys come up with such witticisms.

Really, it is just too much. It's guys like you that make the .org a never-ending fun-factory. Pure magic.

Keep up the mediocre comedy....

sids
04-Jul-14, 18:27
#2 and #3 posts above are hilarious. I don't know how you guys come up with such witticisms.

Really, it is just too much. It's guys like you that make the .org a never-ending fun-factory. Pure magic.

Keep up the mediocre comedy....

Your sarcasm is well-founded. The opening post is much funnier.

golach
04-Jul-14, 18:32
Ditto, Sids Rheghead is a pure comedian, I can laugh myself silly reading his pro yes posts.

Rheghead
04-Jul-14, 19:34
Is anyone saying that the findings of the report is false?

sids
04-Jul-14, 20:06

We're not supposed to read something, are we?

Rheghead
04-Jul-14, 21:42
We're not supposed to read something, are we?

We are supposed to be having a debate where we carefully study both sides with open minds.

Tangerine-Dream
04-Jul-14, 21:48
They will be getting ZERO with independence...... 40% is surely better than nothing?

Tangerine-Dream
04-Jul-14, 21:53
You're 100% "bullcrap" counts for nothing other than a laugh ;)

sids
04-Jul-14, 21:55
We are supposed to be having a debate where we carefully study both sides with open minds.

You should have said.

Scottish small to medium size companies are getting just 40% of their population share of defence work. The Union is not working for Scotland.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scotland-s-smes-shortchanged-by-westminster-1-3466154

Tangerine-Dream
04-Jul-14, 21:57
You being "English" will have a very open mind.... fifth columnist I think ;)

Tangerine-Dream
04-Jul-14, 22:00
Have you yet had the balls to admit you are "ENGLISH"?

Rheghead
04-Jul-14, 22:08

Yes, I am a true patriotic Englishman. What of it? Why should my nationality have anything to do with me wanting Scottish independence?

joxville
04-Jul-14, 22:12
You being "English" will have a very open mind.... fifth columnist I think ;)Scotland is Rheghead's adopted country and he believes in independence, his being born in England is a moot point. Anyway, he's not really English, he's from Cumbria, which makes him an honorary Scot, he's not one of those soft Southern poofs. Oops, that's where I live!

squidge
04-Jul-14, 23:32
I'm ENGLISH too TD... Why is our nationality an issue for you?

Kevin Milkins
04-Jul-14, 23:39

Why would Rheghead have any problems with admitting he is English? He is a much respected long term poster on Caithness.org that doesn't spout vitriolic racist crap and often talks sense.

orkneycadian
04-Jul-14, 23:40
They will be getting ZERO with independence...... 40% is surely better than nothing?

Was certainly the view of the defence commentators on Radio Scotland this morning. If Scotland goes independent, then it can kiss goodbye to any further defence orders from the rUK.

What will all the workers on the Clyde and at Rosyth do then?

Kevin Milkins
04-Jul-14, 23:53

They can build warships ready for Alex Salmond's invasion of England.

Oddquine
05-Jul-14, 02:00

Guess they aren't, otherwise they wouldn't be talking crap, but debating ...........oops, sorry, forgot for a minute where I was posting.

O/T I spend a couple of days a week in the YES shop (info centre) in Elgin....and it is hilarious how many definite no voters come in just to abuse us...or alternatively walk past the door shouting NO and cackling as if they are clever. Best one so far was the wifie who said that she was horrified at how ungrateful we were, given that the English taxpayer subsidised all our perks....and into the bargain England gave us our queen! :roll:

Oddquine
05-Jul-14, 02:17
Was certainly the view of the defence commentators on Radio Scotland this morning. If Scotland goes independent, then it can kiss goodbye to any further defence orders from the rUK.

What will BAE do then...because they, like the UK government, say they have no plan B in the event of independence...because the only place they currently have to fulfill UK defence orders is at the Clyde deep water ports..which kinda shafts the UK if they insist, as they have done ad nauseam so far, that they won't build ships outside the UK (unless Korea can do them cheaper, of course, as it has in the past.).

The workers on the Clyde and at Rosyth will always be able to build and maintain ships for the Scottish navy. Doesn't have to be warships, or £6 billion floating carparks like the new aircraft carrier, as we are really hard up for ships to patrol Scottish waters, as has become blatantly obvious over the last year or so since the last lot of miltary cutbacks. Is it just me that thinks that it is a terrific waste of taxpayers' money to have more highly paid admirals in the Uk than functioning boats?

Rheghead
05-Jul-14, 09:53
Scotland needs to build its own ships for coastal defence, ferries, and a substantial number of other types such as offshore oil and wind installations and cruise ships. With independence the capacity is in place for these vessels to be built in Scotland and we should be able to ensure shipyard employment for the foreseeable future. Without independence such orders and opportunities will simply never exist.

The following link explains it.

http://www.academicsforyes.org/defence-and-commercial-shipping-opportunities-afforded-by-independence/

golach
05-Jul-14, 10:18
Scotland needs to build its own ships for coastal defence, ferries, and a substantial number of other types such as offshore oil and wind installations and cruise ships. With independence the capacity is in place for these vessels to be built in Scotland and we should be able to ensure shipyard employment for the foreseeable future. Without independence such orders and opportunities will simply never exist.The following link explains it.http://www.academicsforyes.org/defence-and-commercial-shipping-opportunities-afforded-by-independence/Sad to say ferries, offshore oil vessels, wind installations and cruise ships do not come under the term "Defense work".Can I remind you Rheg, that the Hamnavoe and her sister vessels were built in Finland, why? Simply cost., they also go to Liverpool to be serviced, and sometimes even Denmark, again due to cost.

orkneycadian
05-Jul-14, 10:57
Pentalina constructed in Phillipines.....

What is concerning in the link is the number of vessels that Scotland will have to foot the bill for post independence. 20 coastal defence ships? That will cost a pound or 2....

sids
05-Jul-14, 11:08
You being "English" will have a very open mind.... fifth columnist I think ;)

He's Scottish by choice then, rather than just an accident of birth.

Don't you like English people?

orkneycadian
05-Jul-14, 11:10
O/T I spend a couple of days a week in the YES shop (info centre) in Elgin....and it is hilarious how many definite no voters come in just to abuse us...or alternatively walk past the door shouting NO and cackling as if they are clever. ....

Not quite the levels the Yes camp have stooped to....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-28167744
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-28167744)
The divisivness that Eck, Nic and their supporters are bringing onto Scotland is starting to get quite concerning. Its one thing having banter on a forum. Another thing completely when it degenerates into making bomb threats. How long before this brings us into the situations we saw in Northern Ireland in the 1970's (et al) and places like Crimea and the Ukraine?

Phill
05-Jul-14, 11:57
Scotland needs to build its own ships for coastal defence, ferries, and a substantial number of other types such as offshore oil and wind installations and cruise ships. With independence the capacity is in place for these vessels to be built in Scotland and we should be able to ensure shipyard employment for the foreseeable future. Without independence such orders and opportunities will simply never exist.Isn't there EU competition regs for commercial contacts, i.e. Can't specify Scottish built?

Rheghead
05-Jul-14, 15:41
Isn't there EU competition regs for commercial contacts, i.e. Can't specify Scottish built?

I was quoting an Academics for Yes source. Do you know better?

Chook a demus
05-Jul-14, 15:48
Not quite the levels the Yes camp have stooped to....http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-28167744The divisivness that Eck, Nic and their supporters are bringing onto Scotland is starting to get quite concerning. Its one thing having banter on a forum. Another thing completely when it degenerates into making bomb threats. How long before this brings us into the situations we saw in Northern Ireland in the 1970's (et al) and places like Crimea and the Ukraine?I guess those who've been on tae org a whilee will know aboot the levels a certain yes supporter will stoop to so her voice doesn't get disagreed wit, so much for supporting a better more caring society as long as you don't disagree with her !

sids
05-Jul-14, 15:58
How long before this brings us into the situations we saw in Northern Ireland in the 1970's (et al) and places like Crimea and the Ukraine?

Any country is only a few steps away from such a situation.

squidge
05-Jul-14, 17:43
I guess those who've been on tae org a whilee will know aboot the levels a certain yes supporter will stoop to so her voice doesn't get disagreed wit, so much for supporting a better more caring society as long as you don't disagree with her !Oooooooh another wee dig chook lol, what levels do you think I'm stooping to? Seems like there are plenty to disagree with me and they don't seem to be going anywhere. You are one of them aren't you? It's only you who seems to want to be personal about this. Like I said, get a hobby or start a petition about something YOU care about. Change your socks... Whatever....

Big Gaz
05-Jul-14, 17:56
sigh, another thread hijack........keep it on one thread please and stop messing up others' threads with your petty squabbles!

squidge
05-Jul-14, 18:06
Sorry .... Sigh :/

Oddquine
05-Jul-14, 18:07
Not quite the levels the Yes camp have stooped to....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-28167744
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-28167744)
The divisivness that Eck, Nic and their supporters are bringing onto Scotland is starting to get quite concerning. Its one thing having banter on a forum. Another thing completely when it degenerates into making bomb threats. How long before this brings us into the situations we saw in Northern Ireland in the 1970's (et al) and places like Crimea and the Ukraine?

If you are the type which believes every word produced in the MSM.....they are already racking up the fear factor among the terminally gullible....but telling us that we will become another Ukraine....not another NI. The divisiveness has nothing to do with the YES Campaign....it is all part of the positive benefits of the Union courtesy of our politicians and the pro-Union media.

Want to get into which sides nutters are nastiest, though? Have a look at https://twitter.com/BritNatAbuseBot.....and as it hasn't been all over the media ad nauseam.......it certainly couldn't possibly have been pro-indy nutters who have been getting physical http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/scottish-independence-campaigner-80-attacked-1-3077094.

The firebomb bloke shouldn't be hard to find, though, given it was mid morning in a shopping centre which is bound to have CCTV cameras...so he'll be caught and end up in court....just like the bloke who threatened, on Twitter, to assassinate Alex Salmond. Serve them both right.....though I do have to say I think Twitter is the worst thing ever to have happened to the internet.....apart from the numpties who have always trawled the internet to find stuff at which to take offence, even if not directly sent to them or even about them. Thank goodness we weren't that precious in the days when I used to joke all over the place about assassinating Maggie Thatcher, if I found I had a terminal illness.

Also have to say that at least the nasty eejits in the yes side are just ordinary punters like me......but too many of the nasty eejits on the Union side are our elected MPs and MSPs....but then they are fighting tooth and nail for their cushy jobs and retirement to the Lords benefits.

Rheghead
05-Jul-14, 20:54
.but too many of the nasty eejits on the Union side are our elected MPs and MSPs....but then they are fighting tooth and nail for their cushy jobs and retirement to the Lords benefits.

Yep, isn't that the truth, a new phrase appeared a couple of years ago, 'snouts in the trough'

squidge
05-Jul-14, 22:43
Yesterday, the defence Secretary said that work on fitting out the Queen Elizabeth and the building of the Prince of Wales - a second carrier - will continue at Rosyth regardless of a Yes vote in September. He said "Contracts are already placed, the seal is set on that whatever happens and the Prince of Wales will be assembled here,"

sids
06-Jul-14, 01:19
a new phrase appeared a couple of years ago, 'snouts in the trough'

That's quite an old phrase.

orkneycadian
06-Jul-14, 01:56
Yesterday, the defence Secretary said that work on fitting out the Queen Elizabeth and the building of the Prince of Wales - a second carrier - will continue at Rosyth regardless of a Yes vote in September. He said "Contracts are already placed, the seal is set on that whatever happens and the Prince of Wales will be assembled here,"

Thats a given, if contracts are in place. They will naturally run their course. Its the tumbleweed that blows through thereafter that is more concerning....

squidge
06-Jul-14, 08:05
But but but warships are NEVER built in foreign countries.... Or is that only when the contracts are signed or only when the only when the rest of the UK does not have facilities to build said warships?

If the aircraft carriers CAN be built in an Independent Scotland when it is convenient to do so then there is no reason to think they can't be built here in the future. Whether they are or not will depend, not on some arbitrary rule, but on the fact that Scotland has the best skills and the best facilities to do so. The Scottish Government has laid out its plans for investing in Scotland's industry if there is a YES vote and has already invested in industry to safeguard jobs and encourage innovation and excellence - look at the investment in oil industry, apprenticeships and renewables. Westminster has it's record of investment in Scottish Industry for us all to see.

Rheghead
06-Jul-14, 10:42
They will do what they did with hms ocean. Build her in Scotland then fit her out with electronics in England.

golach
06-Jul-14, 11:04
They will do what they did with hms ocean. Build her in Scotland then fit her out with electronics in England.That's already on the books Rheg, nothing new in that

orkneycadian
06-Jul-14, 14:53
If.......
....then there is no reason to think......
......Whether they are or not will depend.....

What the Yes campaigners need to grasp if they want to successfully convert the Don't Knows or even some of the Nos is that Scotlands future cannot depend upon Ifs, buts, maybes and coulds. It needs musts, wills, confirmeds and such like.

All too often, the SNP and Yes camp are told by the rUK how it will be post independence, and because the SNP / Yes don't like the answer, they introduce vagueness and uncertainty, rather than fess up to the fact that that didn't work out the way they hoped.

The UK has said that if Scotland goes independent, then they cannot and will not place defence contracts with what will have become a foreign country. Aside from that, its their money, and they will be able to choose how to spend it as they like. By seceding from the UK, we will no longer have any say in the matter.