PDA

View Full Version : AOL what a crock

The_man_from_del_monte
11-Mar-07, 21:20
I don't use AOL but have noticed recently that everytime I send an e-mail to someone with an AOL address I get an instant "Delivery Status Notification (Failure)"

Have tried sending from another computer, same thing, quite a lot of my contacts use this service in the States and bar "phoning" them this renders my replies pretty much useless...... their e-mails are getting in but mine ain't getting out.....

Anyone else noticed this when sending to an AOL address?

MadPict
11-Mar-07, 22:19
No - I often send to AOL users with no problem. Maybe it is either your recipient or an error in the email address?

DarkAngel
11-Mar-07, 22:22
Im an AOL user and ive had no problems at all with my mail delivery!

Cattach
11-Mar-07, 23:07
I don't use AOL but have noticed recently that everytime I send an e-mail to someone with an AOL address I get an instant "Delivery Status Notification (Failure)"

Have tried sending from another computer, same thing, quite a lot of my contacts use this service in the States and bar "phoning" them this renders my replies pretty much useless...... their e-mails are getting in but mine ain't getting out.....

I am involved in an Association sending out up to 350 e-mails on a regular basis throughout the year. I can say I have more failures and returns with AOL than with any other ISP.

Rheghead
11-Mar-07, 23:16
I am involved in an Association sending out up to 350 e-mails on a regular basis throughout the year. I can say I have more failures and returns with AOL than with any other ISP.

Don't take this the wrong way but if you are involved in an Association that regularly sends out 350 emails on a regular basis then you might be classed (rightfully or wrongfully) as a spammer. On AOL, there is a single click-of-the-button report feature for emails which the recipient deems as spam and your emails may be blocked by the ISP on their request. I have done it myself, first I have subscribed to a mailing list then I've got tired of the barrage of emails. It is just easier to report it as spam than go on to the sender's 'unsubscribe' facility, and we all know what 'unsubscribing' will result in...

Geo
11-Mar-07, 23:32
I have had no problems using the unsubscribe option from legitimate email lists I have tried out. Reporting it is spam when you have requested it is just wrong.

Rheghead
11-Mar-07, 23:36
Reporting it is spam when you have requested it is just wrong.

Yes I will agree with you if they just send you what you want, however, when they send you more than what they say they will send you then that is when they have entered the realm of the spammer.

The_man_from_del_monte
11-Mar-07, 23:53

Around 30% of my e-mails go to aol addresses and I can honestly say a good 9% of the e-mails are returned as undeliverable. They get in ok my end but the sender doesn't receive my reply. It's pretty frustrating and definitely an AOL thing.

maidencaithness
12-Mar-07, 01:35

AOHell treat email differently to all other ISPs in that it blocks the final address the spam comes from NOT the one it originates from! We use AOHell at work and ALL BTinternet emails go to spam folder. They also use extreme measures whereby they completely block some IP number blocks (basically if your IP number is close to one they know is a spammer any emails sent to AOHell will go into a big black hole . Plus they do not inform the recipient that emails destined for them are being blocked and since these emails don't make it to their spam folder their none the wiser). They famously sent thousand of emergency emails sent to Florida residents to spam folders, nice.

wifie
12-Mar-07, 11:19
[quote=Rheghead;200733 and we all know what 'unsubscribing' will result in...[/quote]
Sorry to be daft but what will it result in? I have unsubscribed things and they seem to have gone OK. Not being cheeky but I have little pc knowledge and am picking it up as I go along.

The_man_from_del_monte
12-Mar-07, 14:34
I know what it is now, all of the e-mails that have bounced have included a link to my headphone amp forum. Turns out that AOL have blocked the forum provider which hosts over 1.8 million forums worldwide, so that explains it. Probably one or two muppets spamming and the entire network gets penalized as a result :eek: The only workaround is to obfuscate the link so the AOL bots don't get their panties in a twist. It's also dawned on me that AOL users wont be able to sign up to any proboards forums as AOL will not allow the activation email to be delivered to users, possibly the only workaround is for AOL users to put proboards in their buddy list and in their address book.... argh! what a load of unnecessary hassle :eek:

lassieinfife
12-Mar-07, 15:18
I use AOL daily and daily i receive at least 20 spam emails, just log on to 1 site and the world and his wife wants to send u some junk or sign you up for some service............ if i wanted it I would ask for it

Tom Cornwall
12-Mar-07, 20:08
I've had the same type of thing. I send msgs to a few friends about darts etc (not spam), and invariably the ones that get sent back are AOL. I was advised by a 'computer buff' a few years ago, not to get involved with AOL because, once signed up, they fill your machine with rubbish you don't want and would never use.:)

engiebenjy
12-Mar-07, 22:07
My uncle has an AOL address, and I hadn't heard from him in a while, so I emailed him last week. Mail got kicked back with the message that you've been seeing. When Mum spoke to him at the weekend, he said that he;d upgraded his McAfee, and had been having some problems, but he'd added my email to his list, and it should work. Tried again Saturday night - same thing happened. Anyway, looks like the McAfee is causing probs.

Rheghead
12-Mar-07, 22:43
I've had the same type of thing. I send msgs to a few friends about darts etc (not spam), and invariably the ones that get sent back are AOL. I was advised by a 'computer buff' a few years ago, not to get involved with AOL because, once signed up, they fill your machine with rubbish you don't want and would never use.:)

I have been an AOL member for 10 years now and I have never experienced any of the problems that you have described.

George Brims
12-Mar-07, 23:04
Sorry to be daft but what will it result in? I have unsubscribed things and they seem to have gone OK. Not being cheeky but I have little pc knowledge and am picking it up as I go along.
Unfortunately "unsubscribing" from a lot of those spammer lists simply confirms to the spammer that yours is a live, current email address, which they will add to a list and sell to other spammers. If you're consistently getting spam from a particular source, it's much safer to block it via your ISP or your email program than by politely asking them to go away and not bother you again!

lassieinfife
12-Mar-07, 23:56
Like Rheghead I have been with AOL over 10 years and the only problem I get sending emails is when I try to email my son who has recently changed over to BT broadband

The_man_from_del_monte
13-Mar-07, 00:24
Off topic re the e-mail problems I've been experiencing when sending to AOL..... I tried AOL a few years back and it was like installing a virus, AOL "everywhere" the registry invaded by AOL.... pure bloatware. I remember having to format C:/ to get rid of all the crud.

Back on topic.... they provide an explanation of their error codes http://postmaster.aol.com/trouble/mailer.html

Wouldn't touch that outfit with a bargepole :confused