PDA

View Full Version : Doctors vote for a ban on Cigarette sales to persons born after 2000

Rheghead
24-Jun-14, 11:52
This cannot be a breach on civil liberties as they cannot legally smoke anyway.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jun/24/cigarette-ban-british-medical-association?CMP=twt_gu

scorrie
24-Jun-14, 12:02
This cannot be a breach on civil liberties as they cannot legally smoke anyway.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jun/24/cigarette-ban-british-medical-association?CMP=twt_gu

It will be a breach once they reach an age when they can smoke legally.

I reckon its a load of old bollocks that is going nowhere. Tobacco free society? Childish dreams that will never happen.

Haven't these Doctors got any "Doctoring" to be getting on with instead of wasting time with this pish?

mi16
24-Jun-14, 12:17
It will be a breach once they reach an age when they can smoke legally.

I reckon its a load of old bollocks that is going nowhere. Tobacco free society? Childish dreams that will never happen.

Haven't these Doctors got any "Doctoring" to be getting on with instead of wasting time with this pish?

A blanket ban on cigarettes must be the single best thing that could be made law.

Kodiak
24-Jun-14, 12:21
It is the year 2050 and Big Al unlocks the door of his Shop so he can get ready for another busy day. His shop just looks like any other sweet shop with all the usual Toffee's, Chocolates and Sherberts etc.

But this is no ordinary Sweet Shop for if you are in the Know Al will allow access for the chosen few to his back room. This back room is one of the best Smokeasy's in the town, where you can buy all types of Tobacco Substances, Cigarettes, Cigars and even Pipe Tobacco.

Al is taking a real risk for if the State Police find out then he would be instantly jailed without charge for anything up to life imprisonment.

One possible future if Tobacco Products get completely banned.

mi16
24-Jun-14, 12:34
It is the year 2050 and Big Al unlocks the door of his Shop so he can get ready for another busy day. His shop just looks like any other sweet shop with all the usual Toffee's, Chocolates and Sherberts etc.

But this is no ordinary Sweet Shop for if you are in the Know Al will allow access for the chosen few to his back room. This back room is one of the best Smokeasy's in the town, where you can buy all types of Tobacco Substances, Cigarettes, Cigars and even Pipe Tobacco.

Al is taking a real risk for if the State Police find out then he would be instantly jailed without charge for anything up to life imprisonment.

One possible future if Tobacco Products get completely banned.

Same as for any other illegal drug dealer, yes
I have no problem with that

neilsermk1
24-Jun-14, 12:50
A blanket ban on cigarettes must be the single best thing that could be made law.
And just how will you replace the cash raised by taxation on cigarette products. And dont even think about mentioning the savings on health traetment for smokers because they contribute more in taxation than is spent on treatment.

mi16
24-Jun-14, 13:08
And just how will you replace the cash raised by taxation on cigarette products. And dont even think about mentioning the savings on health traetment for smokers because they contribute more in taxation than is spent on treatment.

Increase income tax by the difference
and extreme financial penalties for drug dealers

theone
24-Jun-14, 14:05
Taxes on tobacco do raise an awful lot of money, actually more than north sea oil and gas.

But I don't think that's a reason to encourage people to smoke.

scorrie
25-Jun-14, 05:09

I agree, let's keep blankets away from cigarettes, too dangerous by far!

Southern-Gal
25-Jun-14, 05:31
Its a nice idea but would create another illegal drug and all the associated problems. Just upping the tax on cigs and all other tobacco products will keep the numbers of new smokers falling and increase the amount of people who want to give up. I think the most effective strategy so far has been the ban on smoking in any work place including pubs.
Of course we should remember that smoking suppresses appetite and that the current worsening obesity epidemic could get worse in the event of a total ban.
Tax booze, cigs, unhealthy food and drinks I say :)

Surferstu85
25-Jun-14, 07:17
Making tobacco illegal is just short sighted. This just drives it underground and away from any sort of control. Just look at drug prohibition, been fighting that war for years and what's the outcome more drugs on our streets than ever before. Education is the way forward and going by most of the young folk I know would not go near a cigarette they cant see the point in it and find it ridiculous. Making things illegal does not solve the problem but I suppose a few politicians will think they're doing a great job

Alice in Blunderland
25-Jun-14, 09:40

In direct costs possibly however in indirect costs which cannot be calculated so easily
to quote another orger......

pish?

mi16
25-Jun-14, 12:12
Making tobacco illegal is just short sighted. This just drives it underground and away from any sort of control. Just look at drug prohibition, been fighting that war for years and what's the outcome more drugs on our streets than ever before. Education is the way forward and going by most of the young folk I know would not go near a cigarette they cant see the point in it and find it ridiculous. Making things illegal does not solve the problem but I suppose a few politicians will think they're doing a great job

Yet many are quire happy to snort whatever powder up their nose of a weekend which is completely uncontrolled!
Your point is valid, but smoking does not give the user a high as such, perhaps a very short lived niccotine rush but not a prolonged high as in other drugs.
If banned, would a person risk prision time to get a ciggy (if not already addicted to niccotine)?, I dont think so.

neilsermk1
25-Jun-14, 12:30
Taxes on tobacco do raise an awful lot of money, actually more than north sea oil and gas.

But I don't think that's a reason to encourage people to smoke.
Well the tobacco companies realise the falling market and are pushing like mad advestising of "e" cigarettes just to create another generation of addicts.

mi16
25-Jun-14, 12:36
Well the tobacco companies realise the falling market and are pushing like mad advestising of "e" cigarettes just to create another generation of addicts.

of course they are, it makes good business sense to do so
Electronic cigarettes are another product that is currently unregulated that folk use.

mi16
25-Jun-14, 14:12
A more workable solution would be for the NHS to turn their back on folk with self inflicted smoking, alchohol or unhealthy food related ilnesses

Dog-eared
25-Jun-14, 22:47
Taxing crap food has worked well for Finland.

luskentyre
25-Jun-14, 23:47
A more workable solution would be for the NHS to turn their back on folk with self inflicted smoking, alchohol or unhealthy food related ilnesses

...or drive cars too fast, or take part in extreme sports, or go hillwalking, or listen to loud music, or do DIY, or ..... do you see where this is going yet?

Kevin Milkins
26-Jun-14, 00:05
...or drive cars too fast, or take part in extreme sports, or go hillwalking, or listen to loud music, or do DIY, or ..... do you see where this is going yet?
I know it may sound a little extreme, but I think it would be a good idea to empower people to take responsibility for any chosen risk they take. My late father used to go into a rage whenever someone got themselves into difficulty up a mountain and risked the life of others to safe them. I played rugby for many years and being a contact sport I had to weigh up the risk of getting injured against can I support myself and family should I be unable to work. I also smoked for many years and made the best decision ever to give it up, I really don't know I managed to smoke for as long as I did, because I couldn't afford to do it now.

smithp
26-Jun-14, 21:44
Or we could just ban the self righteous.

scorrie
27-Jun-14, 04:19

And the low fat milk of human kindness runneth over.

mi16
27-Jun-14, 12:16
And the low fat milk of human kindness runneth over.

why should the NHS look after people that will not even do the basics required to look after themselves?

golach
27-Jun-14, 12:30
why should the NHS look after people that will not even do the basics required to look after themselves?Totally agree mi16, smokers are a drain on the NHS.

orkneycadian
27-Jun-14, 22:19

The money will end up in the government coffers however. Nearly everything has tax on it. If you stop smoking, you spend the money you used to spend on fags on something else, which is invariably taxed as well. Doesn't matter if its booze, gambling, motoring, consumer goods, the government gets their hands on your money eventually anyway!

luskentyre
29-Jun-14, 02:37
Totally agree mi16, smokers are a drain on the NHS.

Smoker pay for the NHS, and then some. You'd be first to whinge when taxes stated increasing if revenue from tobacco sales dried up.

golach
29-Jun-14, 08:47
Smoker pay for the NHS, and then some. You'd be first to whinge when taxes stated increasing if revenue from tobacco sales dried up.

Smokers pay, Aye right, there is more bootleg/smuggled tobacco being bought with no duty being paid, and with no thought to the NHS revenue.

joxville
29-Jun-14, 10:33
As a full time worker that pays income tax, tax on my fags, tax on my motoring, tax on my beer and tax on almost anything else that they can screw out of me I believe I have the right to hospital treatment regardless of what may have caused the illness.