PDA

View Full Version : Moving to caithness

Leagrave.
23-Jun-14, 14:04
HiWe are thinking about moving to Caithness from England.We have visited the area many times in the last 20 years and having family in the area.Having two children age 9 and 5 years was wondering how they would settle into life in Thurso, if anyone got any advisethat would be grate.

Treud na Mara
23-Jun-14, 15:03
We moved last year to about 10 miles south of Wick. Too old to have young children but we have a friend who has, and also moved from England some years ago. I keep thinking what a fantastic place it would be to grow up and the schools seem good. The best aspect of life here is the amount of freedom children can safely have which is quite a contrast from 'down south'. Hopefully you'll get a reply that's more specific to the Thurso area. Good luck if you decide to move.

sids
23-Jun-14, 17:41
Thurso's a fairly civilised town.

Any normal person will get on fine.

squidge
23-Jun-14, 18:45
It's a few years ago but I moved north to Caithness from England with 3 boys aged 7,6 and 2. Best thing we ever did!

Kodiak
23-Jun-14, 20:45
I moved to Thurso in 1983, work related move, my Kids at that time were 8yrs & 3yrs old. I was made redundant in 1991 and I could have moved anywhere in the UK, employer would have paid for the move, but we decided to stay in Thurso.

Never regretted staying here in Thurso one bit and I now have two Tall, Strong and Healthy Sons, both of whom say that Thurso was a great place to grow up in.

Tangerine-Dream
23-Jun-14, 21:04
If they are quite sedentary children who can do without KFC, Big macs, out of town shopping centres, mobile phone shops, gaming centres, restaurants, entertainment venues, 3G / 4G and everything else the modern "town" has then they will love it.

The downsides for the future?

Employment opportunities are dire. Your children will probably end up back in a city (when they grow up) if they want to find a decent paying job (or ANY job).

Dounreay is in the process of being decommissioned and when that's complete most of Thurso will be on the dole so it may be a different place in 10 years.

House prices are cheap for a reason ;)

smithp
23-Jun-14, 22:14
If they are quite sedentary children who can do without KFC, Big macs, out of town shopping centres, mobile phone shops, gaming centres, restaurants, entertainment venues, 3G / 4G and everything else the modern "town" has then they will love it.

The downsides for the future?

Employment opportunities are dire. Your children will probably end up back in a city (when they grow up) if they want to find a decent paying job (or ANY job).

Dounreay is in the process of being decommissioned and when that's complete most of Thurso will be on the dole so it may be a different place in 10 years.

House prices are cheap for a reason ;)

Ever considered a career as a motivational speaker?

Tangerine-Dream
23-Jun-14, 22:22

No, but, I think you may have a chance at doing the occasional one liner type gig ;)

Tangerine-Dream
23-Jun-14, 22:28

I prefer to tell the truth for "free"....... like it or lump it.

Phill
23-Jun-14, 23:24
I prefer Wick side, less Atomics that way.

Kevin Milkins
23-Jun-14, 23:26
It's no bad.

Phill
24-Jun-14, 08:06
And steer clear of the 'incomers'!

budgeJ
24-Jun-14, 14:52
Apparently the High School in Thurso is crap if you listen to some parents who send their kids all the way up to Bettyhill in Sutherland every day to go to secondary school. Although that may say more about the parents that it does about Thurso High School.

bagpuss
26-Jun-14, 17:56
Caithness can be a great place to raise children. They have more freedom than many city kids do. However, if you are planning a move, you either need a job to come up to, or an idea for a business which can contribute to the local economy. Remember that the nearest big town is 100 miles away, so you will either need the patience to sit on a train for 4 hours each way for a day out, or be able to put up with a 3 hour bus ride each way- you NEED wheels, ideally a big car. Petrol might not be that much more expensive now that Tesco dictates the price, but you need a fair bit of it, both for trips south and for getting through either to the shops in Wick or the cinema in Thurso

The local economy is changing rapidly- Thurso is no longer Atomic city- and lots of the people who trained there are now working offshore.

What you are seeing however is a trickle of people retiring south as their families move away, and if this continues, there could be a run down of public services. Maternity services have already been hit, and CGH and the. Dunbar have both seen some services cut. don't just think short term- if you are buying a house, if you move back in ten years time, you might find that coming off the ladder south means you won't afford much when you return there. Caithness is one of the cheapest counties to buy property. Inverness is around 50% higher and a house in Aberdeen will cost three times as much as one in Thurso. There are some private rentals- but these get snapped up quickly. Housing association stock can be tricky to come by

If however you are into long walks, fresh air, fishing, golf, bowls or Rotary, and are willing to be self employed in a trade- or want to work in the NHS or education (where moving so far north can mean some posts take a long time to fill), the county will welcome you with open arms.

sweetpea
27-Jun-14, 16:52
I think it's great that families want to move here or anywhere in the Highlands, we need them as we keep leaking YP, large numbers leaving to go to higher education every year, mind you with the Wood report just out that may change as we are pushing back to vocational pathways. There are plenty jobs in social care, hospitality and ICT being the main skill shortages, yet YP are not shown clear routes into these things and viewed as low paid, also things like distribution, machine and It maintainence, HGV and transport roles are rising. We need to get rid of this attitude that higher education is the way to go and lobby employers to create more apprenticeship routes. Currently 13% of Scottish employers take apprentices yet 25% of jobs remain unfilled and youth unemployment is at 20%.
I think there are worse places you could move to and I don't think it's fair to compare the secondary schools really as they both have their own strengths, I suppose it's like everythign else it's the people that make the service. I do agree however about having something set up for when you get here work wise.

David from Stockport
27-Jun-14, 20:54
Its also been my dream to move to Caithness from England for 30 years but never been in a position to do it - It does have cheap Property compared with the rest of the UK but like said by others esp Tangerine Dream there are down sides and these do need to be considered .

As long as you are a people person there is no reason why it would not be an ideal move - if you are the type who is no prepared to mix and think you are some big City guy and better than the locals then forget it .

leagrave
27-Jun-14, 22:38
My wife - the op - appears to have found a glitch in the software and cannot log in using the original ID so I have created a new account.

Thanks for the input both good and bad.

My father and stepmother have lived in Barrock for 14 years and my stepmother has family from several generations.

I can see why she wants to move to the area and ultimately I'll go where she wants to go.

I run my own business .... ebay oriented .. so we can go where we wish.

My reservations? job opportunities for our 2 youngest, we were late finishers LOL ... 50 this year and we have a 6 year old and a 10 year old - together with a 17 and 19 year old. The eldest I suggest will not move with us, but it's possible.

Whilst I run my own business and have done for 14 years in this activity and 10 years previously running a recruitment business I still have some issues because my supply chains may dry up and one of my money earners is keeping old SAAB's on the road and people may, one day, decide they're not interested in old SAAB's.

Thus I would like to keep a weather eye on the possibility of finding some level of employment and I suspect this would be tough for an office bod like myself with little practical skills. I'm not hopeless but not professionally trained.

Thought the additional information might inspire additional responses

Best wishes Steve Lewis

David from Stockport
27-Jun-14, 22:54
@Steve , same idea as you , am 51 and started an online business ( in my signature) as a way of starting a business I could locate to JOG area unfortuantly as I dont have the silver spoon required to push it to a level it would support me at this time it actualy costs me money each week but at least its a start . Something you could sell from an online website of your own as well as e-bay maybe the income stream you need .

Unfortuantly I dont have a property I can sell to fund the move which is a pity as property in Caithness is 50% cheaper than stockport ( I live in a poky 2 room rented flat that is to small for 2 of us and to buy this is £ 120,000 !!!! , if you own a house in England that could fund your move .

Kevin Milkins
27-Jun-14, 22:56
Sometimes in life you have to jump in feet first . I came to Caithness about eight years ago to take up a job that didn't pan out as well as I'd hoped but the place grew on us and with a few tweaks and turns we have sort of settled. Most folks in these parts are good people with thieving and crime in general lower than that of down South. The weather takes a bit of getting used to, but the good bits can outweigh the bad bits if you let it. My only advice would be is to embrace Caithness and all it has to offer without trying to change it to your preconceived ideas of how a place should be.
I used to own a Saab, nice car.
Good luck Steve.

leagrave
27-Jun-14, 23:04
We do have a house to sell and we've owned it for 24 years and managed to squeeze the mortgage down substantially.

I do have a few concerns and anyone reading should not take my next messages as negative.. because we have a lot of experience of the location.

However I'm a little concerned that there may be some animosity towards incomers, this may not be an issue when you are 60 and retiring like my Dad but we have 2 kids to consider, their schooling (trust me it isn't great here in Luton - so I'm not particularly concerned), how the children might integrate, what their job prospects might be like etc.

I've never had any issues in Caithness and I already know several people up there but when you're merely a holiday maker it isn't quite the same.

Andrea feels she has more in common with the people up there and they embrace her in a way that doesn't seem to be the case in Luton... ironically her best mate currently is from Ayr.

Dadie
27-Jun-14, 23:26
Lil critters make friends easily...better before high school age as the friendship is "matured" before then and cemented into the friend circle .
A few friends kept close are worth treasuring is better than loads of friends that drop you at the 1st sign of trouble...
A little school is better for making lasting relationships as there is no cliques so to speak between the kids..and are more accepting to "outsiders".

leagrave
29-Jun-14, 21:47
Thanks for the comments everyone - appreciated ... and the private messages. Andrea is finding them very useful

We'll be up again in the Summer - perhaps it will be an opportunity to meet up

Steve

David from Stockport
30-Jun-14, 20:20
Dont know why you are worried about fitting in up in Caithness , I would have thought you would feel more at home than in some parts of Luton these days .

Tangerine-Dream
30-Jun-14, 23:30
Dont know why you are worried about fitting in up in Caithness , I would have thought you would feel more at home than in some parts of Luton these days .

Yup, Luton is hoaching with Muslim incomers..... Caithness is almost 100% "white" and bigotry is the only negative up here.... it's totally "black" free though.

squidge
01-Jul-14, 07:34
I think that lack of diversity in a population is a negative thing. It can give a rather insular aspect to the area. As for the children I would be very surprised if they were not teased about being new or being different or being English or having red hair, or glasses, or being tall, short, clever, not clever lol. The point is that children are often mean and your children may find that they are teased on starting a new school but. That would likely happen anywhere you moved to. Get a good relationship with the school and prepare your children for a bit of ribbing and you'll all be fine.

golach
01-Jul-14, 09:43
Yup, Luton is hoaching with Muslim incomers..... Caithness is almost 100% "white" and bigotry is the only negative up here.... it's totally "black" free though.
Totally wrong, get your facts right Tangerine, there was a bookie shop next to the Comm in my young day owned by Wally Mohamed, and the origional owner of the Weigh Inn to my knowledge was Egyptian, there has been a mixed community in Caithness for a long time.

patsy1
01-Jul-14, 18:30
Your best coming and staying if you can for a month to see if the kids get bored, if the area suits yourself for shopping cos anything decent is from on line, there's alot for and against depends on what your looking for. The secondary school is not so good and no other school near to move to, options are very limited, as for work very low for opportunities, not many jobs going. lovely views, beaches, walks but how long will this keep you happy, is your family going to visit as its a long way, will you get home sick, miss friends family, wil the kids miss there friends and what do they have for hobby's so much to think dont jump look around stay for a while.

leagrave
01-Jul-14, 20:21
We have been coming to Caithness for approx 20 years. We stay with my Dad for up to 3 weeks in the Summer and up to 2 weeks at Easter and the odd week within the year for some special occasion.

I think Andrea started the thread because I suggested she finds out a little more about the life outside a holiday. We know it isn't a hive of activity ... albeit some may argue that it is simply different.

If we're honest the fear of muslim encroachment is a real one. It isn't a problem with the people per se.. it's with the general culture. A good friend of mine who is Jamaican has a guy across the road praying twice a day at the top of his voice, the school situation is rapidly feeling like we're a minority... as a consequence nativity plays are non existent, sausages are off the menu etc etc etc.

We've been thinking of moving for some time but we have friends and they include Pakistani, black and Polish amongst them and that makes it a little more difficult. Add to that the sheer hell of a move after 25 years in the same property, 4 kids at a wide age gap, a business that I would need to close temporarily and then restart as soon as possible creates a significant challenge.

We have made some acquaintances up there , the girls have gone to Natalie for riding lessons, Andrea knows a Ministers wife through my stepmother, we know some Coghills and a Pottinger. The swimming pool guys would recognise me because of my shock of white hair.. and the people at Reids Bakers.

We have become comfortable with the idea and I guess we're looking for (speaking from the heart) some additional warm "notes" to help us on the way.

I still think it is possible for us to find something similar not quite so far north... once again thanks .. it may be possible that we gain some new acquaintances in Caithness if I don't put my foot in it by being politically incorrect. It is a flaw/benefit that as a Yorkshireman I tend to say things how they are ... might be an issue in a county of 28000 people LOL

Steve

Treud na Mara
01-Jul-14, 20:34
I wouldn't worry too much about speaking your mind - before we moved here we were warned Cattachs don't stab you in the back - you get it full frontal! Personally I find it refreshing, coming as I do from Edinburgh which tends to be all front - some say 'fur coat and nae nickers' - I couldn't possibly comment from personal apparel ! ;)

Tangerine-Dream
01-Jul-14, 21:08
Totally wrong, get your facts right Tangerine, there was a bookie shop next to the Comm in my young day owned by Wally Mohamed, and the origional owner of the Weigh Inn to my knowledge was Egyptian, there has been a mixed community in Caithness for a long time.

Hi Golach,

There's "mixed community" and there is "a total destruction of local culture" I would consider Luton to be a totally destroyed culture. I don't think that a handful of our colonial cousins living in Caithness can be classed as a "mixed community".... Caithness is 99% white "skinned" people and there is no denying that.

Luton on the other hand?

Have a look at this, it may show you what's going on in a real mixed up "community".....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgKMI1wV0ps

A shorter version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psZBaJU_Cvo

Wally Mohamed and an Egyptian do not make a "mixed community" ;)

Tangerine-Dream
01-Jul-14, 21:42
If mass genocide of the Caithness culture was taking place (as it is in Luton and the rest of the UK) I am sure that people like "Squidge" may stop posting nonsense about lack of diversity...... diversity causes division and when the minority becomes the majority bang goes your culture. Some of us, probably branded as "racists" by the people who don't live next to what is going down, actually want to preserve OUR culture and actually LOVE our culture....

Caithness is possibly the very last bastion where we can enjoy OUR culture and LIVE our culture without impedance from the Muslim brotherhood. The Cockney (London) language has been wiped out.... it has been replaced with Jafaican in a period of only 20 years!! And this is about integration into a culture? No.... it's total destruction of a culture thanks to a mass influx of a different culture.... cultural genecide, in fact.

New "generation" is one thing BUT enforced cultural genecide is another!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLWbKhMk3jI

David from Stockport
01-Jul-14, 21:59
Just becouse Caithness is 99% white does not meen it doesnt have its own Sectarian type problems as there must be a reason that the Orgs sports section does not allow Old firm talk . My brother was born / bred in Ayrshire and there you get stabbed for wearing wrong colours in the wrong village / scheme .

It would be great for all folks to get on but unfortuantly thats just a dream - I used to run a Supermarket in Moss side and my African staff would not have anything to do with the Jamaicans and visa-versa - hated each other .

When Ive worked in stores with large Asian areas the only thing Indian and Pakistanis agreed on was they both hate Bangladeshis - Asians had the caste system as well - Pakistanis hate the Brits but Indians were ok .

Where I am at the moment we have Bulgarians and Albanians and the Albanians bully the Bulgars .

I myself just believe there are good folks and bad folks and if you are bad then I dont want to know you .

Ive got friends from lots of nations /religions ( Gym partner is a Nigerian Catholic) but as someone who lives away from Caithness I can say that the UK does need to close its doors for a few years whilst it sorts out the Country then after that we let in folk who love the UK ie ex Gurka s are fine- would be Jihadi s are a no-no .

Kevin Milkins
01-Jul-14, 22:39
Is it safe to be Welsh in Caithness?

squidge
01-Jul-14, 22:43
If mass genocide of the Caithness culture was taking place (as it is in Luton and the rest of the UK) I am sure that people like "Squidge" may stop posting nonsense about lack of diversity...... diversity causes division and when the minority becomes the majority bang goes your culture. Some of us, probably branded as "racists" by the people who don't live next to what is going down, actually want to preserve OUR culture and actually LOVE our culture....Caithness is possibly the very last bastion where we can enjoy OUR culture and LIVE our culture without impedance from the Muslim brotherhood. The Cockney (London) language has been wiped out.... it has been replaced with Jafaican in a period of only 20 years!! And this is about integration into a culture? No.... it's total destruction of a culture thanks to a mass influx of a different culture.... cultural genecide, in fact.New "generation" is one thing BUT enforced cultural genecide is another!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLWbKhMk3jI

Mass genocide???? Minority becoming the majority? I give up. Muslims in total number less than five percent of the population and of those 5% a small minority are extremists. The vast majority live side by side with people of other faiths and other nationalities. Extremism is dangerous in whatever guise it takes.

Look at the way Britain First is spreading its message of hate and division - clever use of emotive pictures for sharing around Facebook ensures that they get their nasty violent threatening brand of fascism out to as many people as possible through duping nice, respectable folk into sharing their pictures of old soldiers - who actually fought a war against the sort of detestable message they are spreading; through their pictures of starving dogs which encourage people moved by the plight of our favourite animals to donate unaware that their money is heading directly to Britain First to fund their activities, which actually include "fighting academies" to train youngsters in martial arts so they will be ready when the call to crusade comes.

You may think I talk nonsense TD but there is evidence that children brought up in a diverse society fare better in life than those who aren't. Caithness is a fabulous place to live and bring up children, but attitudes to "tinks" to "darkies" still prevail and "smalltownitis" can sometimes detract from its charm. I learned very quickly to be utterly open about what was happening in my life and not to worry about what others say about you. If you are less resilient then you may find it harder to live in Caithness.

What exactly is "OUR" culture? How do you enjoy it in Caithness in a way that you can't in other areas of Britain? Oh and do you live next door to "what is going down"?

I tend to agree with David from Stockport that there are good folks and bad folks - I don't believe that it has anything at all to do with the colour of your skin, the language or dialect you speak or the religion you follow. As for Caithness, well I'm sure that leagrave will meet some good and some bad folks in Caithness in much the same way as they have done where they live now. If anyone is moving north in expectation of some White British utopia, where they can avoid all the "bad stuff" from down south then they will be disappointed. Caithness has it's problems too, you might not meet them wearing a burkha but they are there whether or not. That does not mean it's not a fabulous safe place to live. It is. I would move back to bring my little ones up there like a shot.

Phill
01-Jul-14, 22:51
Is it safe to be Welsh in Caithness?Good god no! Can't be having any of that Welshish nonsense around these parts.

David from Stockport
01-Jul-14, 23:13
"Come home to a real fire - buy a holiday home in Wales !!"

leagrave
02-Jul-14, 07:06
Mass genocide???? Minority becoming the majority? I give up. Muslims in total number less than five percent of the population and of those 5% a small minority are extremists. The vast majority live side by side with people of other faiths and other nationalities. Extremism is dangerous in whatever guise it takes.
As for Caithness, well I'm sure that leagrave will meet some good and some bad folks in Caithness in much the same way as they have done where they live now. If anyone is moving north in expectation of some White British utopia, where they can avoid all the "bad stuff" from down south then they will be disappointed. Caithness has it's problems too, you might not meet them wearing a burkha but they are there whether or not.

I hope you haven't misinterpreted my comment but I think you may have exaggerated TD exaggeration. You can become a minority within your community. A sector of population can be a minority over the whole country but be a majority in a specific area. Luton is one of those areas albeit you have to take specific sectors of Luton. Our area Leagrave is rapidly moving to a sector where non muslim people are entering a minority phase.

I'm not anti muslim per se but I know if a mosque gets built within 500 yards there will be mass inconsiderate car parking several times per week. That shouting prayers through the window is commonplace, that women are separated from life and that my daughters may come in for some stick for the way they dress if the 50% current mix becomes a 10%/90% mix .. and that is the mix in for example Bury Park.

One of my friends in the close is Pakistani and female, she also happens to be hooked up to a white englishman, she has several brothers and as far as they are concerned she has shamed her family and threats were made on Dennis' life. She was exported to Pakistan and held in a prison home for several years until she was married .. from the age of 15.. she managed to escape by being "chubby minded" (no idea what the swear filters like here LOL - so did it myself).

She is a lovely woman who cares about everyone who cares about her and yet her family bar one sister can be a little cold despite us embracing their children through Ruki. I'm not sure if they're scared of the white haired blue eyed anglo saxon or they just simply don't want to know us.

Andreas friend from Ayr has a 6 year old and she was told by one of her friends that she couldn't come to her birthday party because she wasn't muslim ... only one muslim child turned up to Natasha's party.

It isn't about the people - individually they 're fine .. but as a religious group they become a closed operation with methods of dealing with life very different to the ones we have been brought up with. You're either going to embrace their life or move. I do feel sorry for people who do not have the choice - they can only stay and embrace.

It's been a few years since I saw Staceys video and when you see the way that the minority behave on the march - it is frightening.. but it is a minority but that style of dress has increased since that video was made .. quite a lot. I also noticed the guarded comments from the guys in the mosque when asked about the marching muslims ... as an ex recruitment consultant studying behaviour .. they demonstrated serious negative mannerisms in so far as they did not want to be heard denouncing those people.

Anyway - back to positive thinking .. we'd be moving to Caithness because the people think as we do (we reckon) and that includes incomers (generally) because they arrived because they wanted a life that had some consideration for others, the fact that traffic congestion is non existent and the pace of life might mean we enjoy life a little longer than we might do elsewhere. Obviously not necessarily in that order LOL

squidge
02-Jul-14, 07:53
I wasn't misinterpreting your remarks lea grave, rather responding to TDs suggestion of mass cultural genocide and Caithness being some sort of bastion of white British Culture.

I moved to Caithness from Rochdale and do understand some of the issues of living in areas where there are a high number of Muslims, the birthday party thing often is difficult for children to deal with.

If you move to Caithness, whatever your reasons, you will enjoy life here if you are running TO something, rather that running FROM something. That goes for any move you make and it sounds like you have it sussed, you'll be fine :)

Big Gaz
02-Jul-14, 08:51
and as per usual, the thread disintegrates into a people bashing mess with arguments and counter-arguments....

I fail to see how any post about Muslim people in Luton on this thread can be enlightening to the family that want to move here. Instead of gleaning some advice from well-informed orgers, all they see is a rabble slagging each other off and having a go at anyone not born in Caithness. Keep it up, you're all doing a sterling job for Caithness tourism and those that want to live here......:eek:

leagrave
02-Jul-14, 09:05
and as per usual, the thread disintegrates into a people bashing mess with arguments and counter-arguments....

I fail to see how any post about Muslim people in Luton on this thread can be enlightening to the family that want to move here. Instead of gleaning some advice from well-informed orgers, all they see is a rabble slagging each other off and having a go at anyone not born in Caithness. Keep it up, you're all doing a sterling job for Caithness tourism and those that want to live here......:eek:

It is a little contentious .. however it does enable some understanding of general philosophy of life. I don't think anyone has been harsh from either side (if there is a side at all).

I also hope that I don't come across as bigoted but I am concerned that my family should be accepted within a community and to be honest I have no doubt of that in Caithness from the limited experience I have had ... and that's despite me ... well being me LOL

Steve

Tangerine-Dream
03-Jul-14, 21:34
Oh and do you live next door to "what is going down"?

No I live in Caithness Squidge. I lived in London for 37 years and when I left the area (that I had lived in all my life) it was totally unrecognizable. The vast "90%" of the population in the area where I lived was made up by Afro Caribbean, Pakistani and Indian people. In my opinion the area had been totally destroyed by this mass influx of people from different cultures who did not want to integrate into "our" culture but instead force feed us with their culture. Mass genocide was probably not the best word to use.... maybe cultural genocide would have been a better way of putting it.... but an area of London was totally destroyed over a period of 20 years. I am very aware of multiculturalism having lived in a multicultural area and my experience of it was not a positive one as all of the "cultures" integrated with their own and culture to culture integration was seldom seen.

It was a sad day when I left London but I felt I had to as it wasn't the place I knew anymore. I went back two years ago and it has got a lot worse.... there are very few Londoners left and the cockney accent has all but disappeared. All you hear, wherever you go, are police sirens and hardly anyone speaks English.... it was honestly like visiting a foreign country and I almost wept when it hit home that this was "London".

I am not in a minority with my views and I am not a racist but to see your "area" totally ruined by a mass invasion of people from different cultures is very upsetting. It's all very well for these people who "clearly" don't live in built up multicultural areas to spout out how good it is to live in a multicultural society but I can safely say that the vast MAJORITY of indigenous residents will tell you it's far from good!

Your "there is only XYZ percentage of them" is all fair and well over the entire UK but if that percentage (which they do) become the majority in a few pockets across the UK then it does have an adverse effect on our traditional, indigenous culture. To say it doesn't have an effect or it "improves" our quality of life is total nonsense. No American Indian will tell you that a mass influx of different cultures has improved their way of life..... no aborigine will say that they have never had it so good.... no rainforest inhabitant will agree that it is a better place without trees yet we have these mouthpieces (who live in country mansions) telling us that multiculturalism is good!

I spoke to one pompous git a few years back, down in fife.... he was a "Baron" who owned Leuchars castle and he was waffling on about how great the "food" was now that we were a multicultural society. I asked him if he thought society had changed and if our culture was slowly being eroded and he replied "I don't know as I don't have much to do with them but can say that new curry house in St. Andrews is superb!" That pretty much sums these types up.... they embrace multiculturalism, they promote it yet they don't have to live in / with it.

The OP (original poster) will find Caithness heaven on Earth compared to Luton. Luton, 30 years ago, was a damned good place to live but it has totally lost it's cultural roots and Caithness is a smaller version of what Luton was like back in the seventies. (yes, Squidge, I HAVE been to Luton)

I will probably get a ban for saying this but almost every single person I have spoken to (who has moved here from the South) has moved here to get away from the genocide of their culture and actually "want" to be part of an indigenous community and not treated like second class citizens in their own country.

There is a lot to be said for a single culture society and Caithness is pretty much "old school" in that respect..... for the time being.

David from Stockport
03-Jul-14, 22:36
I 2nd that Tangerine dream , been in love with Caithness for 45 yrs (since my childhood hols in Thurso) and always since about 20 wanted to move to Caithness . Living in a large town near Manchester I can honestly say that Mass uncontroled Immigration has ruined this part of the world ( also had a female schoolteacher cousin who was forced out of her house in an 'Asian ' area of Preston ) . So yes I too am part of the 'White flight' - if though I ever manage to escape I have no wish to end up on a housing estate like Pennyland even though I like it and houses are half the price of Stockport , Id rather buy a plot and have a small Croft type house with 2 acres of land - I have no wish to be surrounded by folks of whatever Colour / religion .

It annoys me when folks who in the main and have lived life in a bubble or are so finantialy secure that life in the overcrouded melting pots of some towns/cities is something they dont have to endure unless they wish to call anyone who objects to mass Immigration as racist .

I like 99.9% of decent folks want a better life for not just myself but for all the Worlds people whatever colour / creed .
Its just that once you understand that there are millions of folks around the world that would like to come here whether they can support themselves or as to many require that we support them , this is just not possible there will never be the space for one think and also unfortuantly as we see the world over either it be Catholic v Prod in Ireland , Muslim v Muslim in Iraq / Syria etc , Serb v Croat in the former Yugoslavia - India and Pakistan -You cannot force folks to like each other - a lot of this hatred is instilled in childhood .

If you understand the above you realise that to help the most folks you must 1st make our country strong (without mass immigration) then we can be in a position the help the majority of the worlds poor not just those that come here - we need to stop supporting cruel dishonst Governments / dictators - no human should have to leave there country of berth to travel thousands of miles leaving family/friends behind in order to attain a better / safer life .

I once worked with a Nigerian guy who told me " Africa doesnt need your money it is rich - you just need to stop opening Swiss Bank accounts for African Polititions "

The definition of charity is -
"Poor people in Rich countries giving to Rich people in Poor countries"

kosacid
04-Jul-14, 01:26
@Tangerine-Dream im from fife i moved up here, wee had enough of there, wee were working and there were no house`s so wee were stuck in a private let £400 quid a month it was,wee seen what was going on the guy who owned the property he was from Pakistan, well a letter happend to come through the door i opend it and i coudent belive it the house had been remorgaged in some womans name not his, basicly wee were paying the morgage for that property meanwhile the money they got they were buying more property with it and doing the same with that, it gets even better the soliciter dealing with us i mentioned the name and wee had recived a letter she went white as a sheet and said wee must hand it to her right away, i think she was geting back handers for dealing with it, wee never said nothing wee just got out as fast as wee could so moved up here and i know for a fact its working it way up here slowly lets say he has a few propertys north, its all just down to money at the end of the day, i have not seen it it here yet, but thats how it starts of by buying all the propertys first eg shops houses hotels, move friends and family in to manage the empire basicly, before wee left he was selling a property at 1.5 mill enough said, so i agree with you your not being racist you just basicly seen what went on
the thing is i was part of the destruction till i seen it with my own eyes fueling the greed that's going on and the take over

Tangerine-Dream
04-Jul-14, 21:00
Living in a large town near Manchester I can honestly say that Mass uncontroled Immigration has ruined this part of the world ( also had a female schoolteacher cousin who was forced out of her house in an 'Asian ' area of Preston ) .

David,

I could tell you some real horror stories about things I saw / experienced when I lived in London (in the latter years when Londoners were all but forced out of their homes) but "online" is not the place to recount these experiences as certain people will take offence to the truth being told.

I can empathize with you and hope you do manage to make it up to Caithness one day, I'll buy you a beer. I, too, would hate to end up on a housing estate (or "scheme" as they call it up here) I love the fact that my nearest neighbour is hundreds of yards away and certainly don't miss living in a goldfish bowl surrounded by people.

It's great to be able to drift off to sleep with total silence outside and the occasional bleat of a sheep is welcome..... much better than listening to some "neighbour" playing rap music or the constant drone of cars passing by with a selection of mulicultural "music" blasting out at all through the night.

What did it for me, finally (decision to leave London), was one night when there was a "Diwali" celebration in the local school. I went to this school in the 1960's and the teaching staff were, dare I say it, all from this country and 99% of the children were too.... I won't say that everyone in the school was "white" and "English" as that would be politically incorrect.

Anyhoo....... by the late 1980's the entire school was made up of 100% (yes, 100%, INCLUDING the teaching staff) shall we say "new residents to the area" and the majority of whom were being taught English as a second language in the school.

I lived about 100 yards away from the school. On this particular night, I couldn't sleep for the constant chanting and drum beating.... I was like "what the hell is that?!" This damned racket was still going on at 3am in the morning so I got out of bed, put my clothes on and went round to the school.... there were a couple of blokes at the front door and I asked them "what the hell is going on?!" They told me that I wasn't welcome and basically told me to get lost "or else".

I could make up stories and paint myself as some type of concerned resident who walked away but that would be telling lies! I went absolutely APE on these two idiots and managed to get past them only to see about 2,000 "new residents" dancing about with drums and whacking things with sticks (not sure what they were)..... it was at that time / that moment in time that I realised I was a stranger in my own town so decided to come back to the place of my birth (Perth, Scotland).

It was quite funny that night because I came home, went back to bed, and all the drumming and chanting had stopped.... I was just drifting off and there was a BANG BANG BANG at the door. I opened the door and there were two white faces there (pretty strange) only turns out these two "doormen" had called the Police and had claimed that I had attempted to sabotage "Diwali" ;)

Fortunately the old bill saw the funny side and empathized with me.... if that was today's Police I would have been up on some type of "racially" aggravated charge even though I (as one person) was basically told that I wasn't welcome in my own area (by 2,000 people beating drums and goat skins), and wasn't welcome in the school I went to in the 1960's.

I can fully empathize with the Native American Indian, the Aborigine, The Iraqi, The Afghani etc....... I know, first hand, what it feels like to see your community totally wrecked, beyond belief, by "new residents".