PDA

View Full Version : Broadband

Whitewater
11-Apr-05, 22:58
I'm in thje process of updating my computer and once I get it set up I would like to go onto Broadband.
Can anybody suggest a good supplier, and what the costs are likely to be.
Thanks

caisha
12-Apr-05, 09:14
I can't recommend a good one, in fact I am on the look out for recommendations too, but please avoid Wanadoo!

I had no end of hassle with them when I moved house earlier this year which left me £170 out of pocket and they offered me 2 months free internet and a waiver of a moving fee as compensation (which is about £70).

2 weeks ago, they took 2 months internet fees and the moving fee out of my account and it has taken about 10 emails and until Sunday to get them to acknowlege that they even made an offer of compensation to me! I had to "prove" i was telling the truth by faxing them a copy of their offer letter and was treated like a liar by their customer services staff who were unhelpful and rude.

I am still waiting for the money to go back into my account and as soon as it does, I am phoning up and cancelling my contract so will watch this thread with interest!

<rant over>

Tugmistress
12-Apr-05, 09:38
I have been with BT broadband for over a year now ( i think) and have nothing but help and good advice and support from the them the twice something has gone butt up :D

it is only 17.99 a month, restricted for so long to the half a meg then onto the full meg after that. if you apply online, then you get the modem thingy free whereas if you order by phone i think it is £25? just google btbroadband and have a look at their site.

one problem i had was when the modem thingy broke and they sent someone out to test it, confirmed it was the modem not the line and i was up and running again within a matter of hours, the other time wasn't their fault at all, ex had just took all the stuff and they talked me through setting up my own account and what to do :D

for all we gice BT grief, they do sometimes come up trumps.

Riffman
12-Apr-05, 11:26
Despite hating them for their annoying software, AOL are a very good supplier. They are always reliable and fast. The helpline is good and they sort out problems quickly. And they are great value, only £17.99 for 512k unlimited! I do not recommended it for networking though as it mucks up the settings, but for a single PC, it is good.

Riff

Zael
12-Apr-05, 13:48
AOL [lol] [lol] [lol]

Sorry....

sgc
12-Apr-05, 15:03
Nice if you can get it??

Anybody know of any active groups who are still trying to get broadband for rural areas

colmac
12-Apr-05, 18:41
I have had Tiscali for about 15 months now and I am very happy with them. Their prices start at £15.99 for 512k always on, £17.99 for 1gb and 19.99 for 2gb always on access. I know some users aren't happy with them but I am. The only drawback being that you have to have a BT telephone line.

golach
12-Apr-05, 20:12
I have had Freeserve / Wannadoo for the last 6 years, Broadband with Wannadoo for the last 18 month, not a bit of trouble

hammers
12-Apr-05, 21:08
Aol all the way.Aol gold 1mb £24.99 a month unlimited downloads .phoned twice for minor problems that i should have sussed myself and they couldnt b more helpful.would highly recommend.

Brizer2k2
12-Apr-05, 21:19
Visit www.adslguide.org.uk and click on "compare"

If you have a connection and need a new adsl device then the company I work for have nearly halved the prices for Netgear routers.

http://broadband.nildram.net

KitKat
12-Apr-05, 22:06
Like Golach, I've had Freeserve/Wanadoo first with dial up now Broadband and not a bit of trouble.

Whitewater
13-Apr-05, 23:16
Thanks to you all for the excellent help I've received, particular thanks to Brizer2k2 for the comparison web site. Most usefull. I found what appeared to be some very good providers i.e. E7even.com; Freedom2surf PLC, which appears to be about the best for speed, service, and reliability and ranked along with it is Demon. Also both BT and AOL appear to be very good but ranked slightly lower than the others. However, both AOL and BT provide free installation and AOL also prvides a firewall system.

I will have a think about all this information and costs now for a day or so.

It has been intresting. Once again my thanks to you all.

Donnie
14-Apr-05, 17:14
AOL also prvides a firewall system.

If you decide to go with one of the other ISP's and you want a free firewall then you should look in to Sygate personal firewall. It's a very good free firewall and can be downloaded from here - http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm

Also if you want free Anti Virus you should try AVG, you can download it from here - www.downloads.com

NickInTheNorth
16-Apr-05, 09:25
Nice if you can get it??

Anybody know of any active groups who are still trying to get broadband for rural areas

I am told that there should be an announcement in the next few weeks, it is still certainly planned to be provided for all communities, but I'll believe it when I see it.