PDA

View Full Version : Dentist

freckles
10-Mar-07, 17:26
Hi everyone,

I've decidede to give in and pay a private dentist but I'm not sure who to go with - Bridgend or The Bridges in Wick.

The one in Wick doesn't charge a monthly fee but that might be false economy if I need a lot of work done (it has been years since I last saw a dentist.)

Can anyone advise me on who to go with? Are the dentists good, nice, reassuring - or just trying to make loads of money out of unneceary treatments? How long do you wait for an appointment? Who is best value for money?

Thanks in advance.

henry20
10-Mar-07, 17:37
I'm with bridges and have no complaints. They charge an annual registration fee of £20 and a check up is £25 and xrays £13

I went there to get a tooth taken out, but she has referred me to the hospital to have it done. I got a course of antibiotics and was charged nothing for the appointment because no treatment was done.

With Bridgend, you get 2 'free' checkups a year, but if you miss your appointment you get charged £10 - seems a total con to me!!

I'd definitely recommend Bridges. I've had emergency treatment there by 1 dentist and am now registered with another there and have no complaints.

(With Bridgend, you still need to pay for your treatments over and above your monthly payment)

Oh, I also got a quote for work needing done, but because she managed more in 1 appointment reducing the time of the 2nd, it cost less than my quote!!

mareng
27-Mar-07, 15:04
Bridgend will have your eyes out as well as your teeth

emb123
28-Mar-07, 14:59
Bridgend will have your eyes out as well as your teeth
that is my experience as well. If you have a chipped tooth forget having them save it, unless you're rich then it's got to come out.

emb123
28-Mar-07, 15:05
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/28032007/325/dentists-say-reforms-working.html

Dentists say reforms not working

Wednesday March 28, 10:15 AM LONDON (Reuters) - The biggest overhaul of dentistry in more than 50 years has done little to improve patients' choice, affordability and access to treatment, according to a survey of dentists on Wednesday. Meanwhile a separate poll said two million patients are unable to find an NHS dentist, with people in rural areas often hit hardest by so-called "dentistry deserts".

The British Dental Association (BDA), which opposed the government reforms last year, said its poll of nearly 400 dentists showed the changes had not worked. Nine out of 10 said the new charges were not clearer, fairer or more affordable. They also said patients did not have a wider choice of treatment.
"We now have a reductive, target-driven system that is failing both patients and dentists," said Susie Sanderson, chairman of the BDA's executive board. "The future of NHS dentistry is becoming increasingly fragile and we need action now before it shatters altogether."
Under the new contracts, dentists are paid a guaranteed income rather than being paid for each NHS treatment they perform.
The government said the changes would create a fairer, simpler system that would encourage more people to seek treatment and take dentists off the "drill and fill" treadmill.

According to the BDA survey, most dentists felt the changes had not improved their service.
About 85 percent of those polled said the reforms had not improved access to an NHS dentist and 90 percent said continuity of care had not improved.
Nine out of 10 said the new contracts failed to give them more time to offer preventative care.
The second survey, for the Citizens Advice charity, found that people's access to a dentist varies sharply across the country.
Three-quarters of those polled said they couldn't find a local dentist taking on new NHS patients. More than a third said there were long waiting lists.
One respondent said they had to make a 120-mile round-trip to their NHS dentist.
"It is not acceptable that so many people are still going without dental care," said Citizens Advice Chief Executive David Harker. The reforms were "nowhere near" creating equal access for all NHS patients, he added.
Health Minister Rosie Winterton said the reforms and extra investment had improved the system.
"We know that with the changes, we've stabilised dentistry," she told the BBC. "We now have 500,000 more people able to access NHS dentistry.
"It's not perfect but it is turning round the situation. It is improving with extra investment and reform."