PDA

View Full Version : World cup - uk approach

Green_not_greed
19-Jun-14, 22:46
Heres one for the "no thanks" campaign to think about.

I'm a Scot - proud to be born in Scotland and after years in and out of Scotland now live here on what I expect is a long term basis. That may change if King Alex gets in. Whatever.... I am proud to be both Scottish and British and that will not change

In 1970 I lived in Central Scotland. I was 11 years old. Scotland didnt qualify for the world cup but there was a brilliant campaign by Esso (fuels) to get a set of "coins" for each of the England players representing UK. I was totally into this and was glad to support a UK team in the world cup.

Can't remember what happened in 1974 except that Scotland qualified and England didnt. I was still in the central belt at that time.

In 1978 I was at university in England. Every game that Scotland lost I had my door kicked in and showered with comments/beer/whatever from my rugby team mates about how poor Scotland were. Not one looked on us as a British team flying the flag. Not one supported us. That set the scene for me - football wise - and thats never changed.

Tonight I was glad to see England beaten. Hopefully to end the never-ending torrent of reminders about 1966.

The sad thing was - as a Brit (and proud to be one) I should have been supporting England. I wasnt, but fully support the "No Thanks" campaign.

Is there something wrong here ?

GNG

Kevin Milkins
19-Jun-14, 23:24
I thought the Scouser with the teeth and bad knee played well.

mi16
19-Jun-14, 23:30
Heres one for the "no thanks" campaign to think about.I'm a Scot - proud to be born in Scotland and after years in and out of Scotland now live here on what I expect is a long term basis. That may change if King Alex gets in. Whatever.... I am proud to be both Scottish and British and that will not changeIn 1970 I lived in Central Scotland. I was 11 years old. Scotland didnt qualify for the world cup but there was a brilliant campaign by Esso (fuels) to get a set of "coins" for each of the England players representing UK. I was totally into this and was glad to support a UK team in the world cup.Can't remember what happened in 1974 except that Scotland qualified and England didnt. I was still in the central belt at that time. In 1978 I was at university in England. Every game that Scotland lost I had my door kicked in and showered with comments/beer/whatever from my rugby team mates about how poor Scotland were. Not one looked on us as a British team flying the flag. Not one supported us. That set the scene for me - football wise - and thats never changed. Tonight I was glad to see England beaten. Hopefully to end the never-ending torrent of reminders about 1966. The sad thing was - as a Brit (and proud to be one) I should have been supporting England. I wasnt, but fully support the "No Thanks" campaign.Is there something wrong here ?GNG Nothing wrong at all, football is a game, nothing more, nothing lessA bit of inter home country banter is good maybe even essential to maintain an edge.The referendum is not a game, there will be no second leg or next tournament. September is the cup final if you will, hopefully the ribbons will be adorned with the union flag

mi16
19-Jun-14, 23:32
Was Ken Dodd playing?

squidge
20-Jun-14, 00:18
I agree with mi16. There is nothing wrong with the rivalry. I don't hold with this "anyone but England" being somehow racist or anti English. As a Manchester City fan, I'm pretty much " anyone but United". It's neighbourly rivalry and pretty normal if you ask me. Besides there are a fair few of us Indy supporters crying in our cocoa and doing complicated arithmetic with goals and permutations to make up for your lack of sympathy.... Sigh!

Rheghead
20-Jun-14, 01:06
Of course, nobody wants to be accused of being just a 90 minute patriot.

Alrock
20-Jun-14, 01:19
I personally would have liked to have seen England win....

Why?
The better England do, the more the English based British media bang on about it, the more YES votes generated... :cool:

mi16
20-Jun-14, 05:08
To be honest the media have not been bad this time around, not heard any talk of England winning it really.And after last night, whilst not technically out of the competition every media source that was discussing it were saying they were done for.On a second point, anyone who bases their vote on England bigging themselves up at football tournaments is an idiot.

neilsermk1
20-Jun-14, 12:21
anyone who bases their vote on England bigging themselves up at football tournaments is an idiot.[/QUOTE]

Lots of them about

Green_not_greed
20-Jun-14, 13:18
Delighted to see this guy taking things one step further !

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/photo.php?v=638723706219035&set=vb.100002442342795&type=2&theater

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-27939845

mi16
20-Jun-14, 19:16
Pumped on ThursdayPapped out on Friday Carlsberg dont do Friday afternoons

PantsMAN
20-Jun-14, 21:29
To be honest the media have not been bad this time around, not heard any talk of England winning it really.SNIP.

Not bad? What did you call that tosh that preceded the Uruguay game. With a full-screen shot of each player looking as if they were about to greet.

Aye, well they've plenty to greet about now - and half my ancestors are Cornish. (So... not really English then eh!)

mi16
20-Jun-14, 21:54
Not bad? What did you call that tosh that preceded the Uruguay game. With a full-screen shot of each player looking as if they were about to greet.Aye, well they've plenty to greet about now - and half my ancestors are Cornish. (So... not really English then eh!) A bit of build up pre match and during the tournament is to be expected.What we were not subjected to was the months of pre tournament hype on the telly, radio and press.There is nothing really to greet about, a poor side played poorly and was eliminated.It was expected by all

scorrie
21-Jun-14, 14:30
Not bad? What did you call that tosh that preceded the Uruguay game. With a full-screen shot of each player looking as if they were about to greet.

Aye, well they've plenty to greet about now - and half my ancestors are Cornish. (So... not really English then eh!)

I didn't think the hype was that bad this time around but then saw Gary Lineker wearing an Italy shirt for their game against Costa Rica. No doubt it was "all for the banter" but the channel is supposed to be neutral and Lineker's stunt fell flat on its paps as the lethargic Italian side were more Reekin' than Costa.

I picked Chile at the start of the tournament at 50/1 for a bit of fun and although they probably won't win they lasted longer than Spain.

Red Hot Chile is the pun headline I'm dreaming of........

Cattach
21-Jun-14, 15:20
To be honest the media have not been bad this time around, not heard any talk of England winning it really.And after last night, whilst not technically out of the competition every media source that was discussing it were saying they were done for.On a second point, anyone who bases their vote on England bigging themselves up at football tournaments is an idiot.

In Scotland the vast majority of football fans are anti the English national team. The reason is simple and it has nothing to do with the English people as a whole. It is to do with the English media as shown by the ridiculous comments about this lad in the crowd at the Uruqay game. The English football reporting individuals on the media are blatantly biased, bigheaded, boastful and incredibly arrogant blaming everyone from the opposing players to the officials for England's shortcomings. Constantly throughout games the premier league (the best league in the world ??) is referred to, the players with are countries are not worthy of a chance to play in England and, of course, 1966 and all that punctuates the commentary. We, the UK viewing public, just want a balanced commentary on a game of football and not an inarticulate rant against everything English. Pity that football does not have a Bill McLaren.

scorrie
24-Jun-14, 11:55
In Scotland the vast majority of football fans are anti the English national team. The reason is simple and it has nothing to do with the English people as a whole. It is to do with the English media as shown by the ridiculous comments about this lad in the crowd at the Uruqay game. The English football reporting individuals on the media are blatantly biased, bigheaded, boastful and incredibly arrogant blaming everyone from the opposing players to the officials for England's shortcomings. Constantly throughout games the premier league (the best league in the world ??) is referred to, the players with are countries are not worthy of a chance to play in England and, of course, 1966 and all that punctuates the commentary. We, the UK viewing public, just want a balanced commentary on a game of football and not an inarticulate rant against everything English. Pity that football does not have a Bill McLaren.

I noticed Phil Neville was concerned before the Uruguay game that the match officials were Spanish. Because the Uruguay players also spoke Spanish, he reckoned they weregoing to be able to influence the referees.

Childish, paranoid nonsense.