PDA

View Full Version : Wick primary school names

burstbucker
18-Jun-14, 17:34
I don't like the new school names and don't really see any need to change them.

jacko
24-Jun-14, 10:48
I don't like the new school names and don't really see any need to change them.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..............................
Same apply s to Wick Airport ( John O Groats Airport ,now ) . What bright spark thought that one up . the airport is in Wick ,alway s has been and alway s will be..
not only was Wick Airport a major war base that played an important part it,s nowhere near John O Groats.
Wick North School is to be renamed Noss. Why change the name we all know to something stupid ??

2little2late
24-Jun-14, 20:22
I must admit the names of the new schools are quite crass. Why not keep the same names? Or even call them New North and New South schools and as for Wick/John O' Groats airport, the mind boggles.

PantsMAN
24-Jun-14, 21:36
I think the new Primary school names are excellent. The fact that schools were being combined surely precluded using one name rather than another. It saves any perception of one school name being chosen over another one. It also gave the pupils at the schools, and the local community a way of being closely involved with the new schools at a very early stage. If they were called New North and New South, well that's a new name - different to the old ones. And what is stupid about Noss?

As for Wick/ John O' Groats, this is a clever piece of marketing. Tying Wick ( not universally well-known) with John O' Groats (slightly higher Global prominence) helps to raise the profile. Let's face it, we need to do all we can to sell this wee corner of Scotland as a tourist destination and if adding to the name of the airport brings in a few more visitors a year, then it's worth it.

The fact the Wick aerodrome was an important wartime base doesn't change, it is still more prominent than the other local 'dromes which fell into disuse.

Aye, you can't please....etc. etc.

Cazaa
24-Jun-14, 22:38
Tying Wick ( not universally well-known) with John O' Groats (slightly higher Global prominence) helps to raise the profile.

Similar to Glasgow Prestwick (which is 35 miles away from the Glasgow International airport - compared to a mere 16.4 from Wick to John O'Groats).

I would imagine that the "New North" might not have been so popular to the Hillhead pupils (nor New South to the Pultneytown pupils) with whom they will be amalgamating.

As for Noss - just glad to see they went for a Norse name (Snos - a nose or peak of nose-shaped headland). Just wait for the Gaelic surtitle (i.e. larger than the official name and above the 'English' word) - Srònag? (Sròn or Srònach)

PantsMAN
24-Jun-14, 22:41
Similar to Glasgow Prestwick (which is 35 miles away from the Glasgow International airport - compared to a mere 16.4 from Wick to John O'Groats).

)

Aye, they missed a trick with Prestwick - Should've gone for the Rabbie Burns option. Like John Lennon and JFK!

fender
25-Jun-14, 07:36
I think the new Primary school names are excellent. The fact that schools were being combined surely precluded using one name rather than another. It saves any perception of one school name being chosen over another one. It also gave the pupils at the schools, and the local community a way of being closely involved with the new schools at a very early stage. If they were called New North and New South, well that's a new name - different to the old ones. And what is stupid about Noss?

As for Wick/ John O' Groats, this is a clever piece of marketing. Tying Wick ( not universally well-known) with John O' Groats (slightly higher Global prominence) helps to raise the profile. Let's face it, we need to do all we can to sell this wee corner of Scotland as a tourist destination and if adding to the name of the airport brings in a few more visitors a year, then it's worth it.

The fact the Wick aerodrome was an important wartime base doesn't change, it is still more prominent than the other local 'dromes which fell into disuse.

Aye, you can't please....etc. etc.

Excellent post. Agree 100% with all that's said here.

Alice in Blunderland
25-Jun-14, 09:33
I agree with the new names being given to the new schools being built. Its a fresh start for all the children involved in the amalgamation and gives them all a new identity. Combining two schools together at either side of the river and consulting the children in the naming their new schools was an excellent way of involving them in the process.

I can see also where the name of the airport came from and agree with it. At first I will admit to thinking what? however it makes sense. If I am travelling down south and someone asks me where I have come from my reply is Wick which is normally followed by 'wheres that'? I always end up saying near John O Groats a very recognisable name. Someone looking for a wee break away realising they can fly into an airport at 'John O Groats' may be swayed to try it out........... that is if they can afford the fares which is another issue may have to be looked at to encourage this to happen however it all helps.

Alice in Blunderland
25-Jun-14, 09:34
It will also be interesting to see what name is given to the new High School. :D

scorrie
25-Jun-14, 11:04
It will also be interesting to see what name is given to the new High School. :D

The scorrie rumour machine has heard that, in a defiant last gesture, The Highland Council are going to name the school:-

Bignold Park High ;)

Alice in Blunderland
26-Jun-14, 11:08
The scorrie rumour machine has heard that, in a defiant last gesture, The Highland Council are going to name the school:-Bignold Park High ;)That rumour lolNext you will hear that Highland Council are delighted to be spending so much money on a replacement school....or will be when we see a spade going into the ground. :D

PantsMAN
26-Jun-14, 12:23
Shame that we're losing the input of Imhotep, seems as if he is the go-to guy for developing a new school.:confused