PDA

View Full Version : Fly-tipping

badger
17-Jun-14, 16:57
A little while ago there was a thread about this when someone said the Council told them to contact Police and Police told them to contact Council. I asked our local policeman but he was away at the time and the thread has since disappeared. However, for anyone interested, this is his advice:

Fly tipping is a bit of a grey area. Basically it depends on the nature of the fly tipping. In the first instance the 'Dumb dumpers' hotline should be contacted on 0845 2 30 40 90 and this is answered by trained staff. If the incident is ongoing, believed to of a hazardous nature or near a watercourse, the information will be passed to either Police or SEPA as appropriate. If the incident is not urgent, the information is then passed to the local authority to investigate. Basically unless it is urgent, SEPA take the lead on the investigation and they have the power to report any offenders for this type of crime

So now you know.... But maybe you knew already as I couldn't check the end of the thread.

poppett
18-Jun-14, 12:06
Interesting information Badger.

Recently had an encounter with fly tipping near our garage. Council said to call the Housing Association we rent from and they would probably call the council back themselves to have it removed.

The site was visited that same day and photographs taken before rubbish was removed. A few days later more bags of rubbish had been dumped in the grit box and these were photographed and removed again.

On the third visit the contents of the bags were investigated and proof of ownership found so this will now be dealt with by the police.

fender
18-Jun-14, 13:09
I read recently that a couple of businesses in Wick had been fined for fly tipping. Upon trying to find out who they were I was informed that name and shame is not allowed. Why? I'm sure as residents of Wick we should be told who is turning our town into a tip so our business could be directed elsewhere. PC not!

mi16
18-Jun-14, 15:04
I read recently that a couple of businesses in Wick had been fined for fly tipping. Upon trying to find out who they were I was informed that name and shame is not allowed. Why? I'm sure as residents of Wick we should be told who is turning our town into a tip so our business could be directed elsewhere. PC not!

surely it is an individual that commits the offence of fly tipping not the business?

Halls
18-Jun-14, 15:12
Definitely not me. Halls House Clearance

crashbandicoot1979
19-Jun-14, 19:14
surely it is an individual that commits the offence of fly tipping not the business?

If the fly tipped waste can be traced to a business, it is the business that is fined regardless of the individual that dumped the waste. This is because all businesses have a Duty of Care under the Environmental Protection Act to ensure that waste from their business is disposed of in an appropriate manner and they should have a Waste Transfer Note for all waste they get rid of.

So in other words, if a local business asked me to take their waste away and dump it for them, if I then fly tipped it in a lay by, the business would receive the fine as they should never have let me take their waste in the first place as I don't have a Waste Carrier's License.

mi16
19-Jun-14, 23:35
That makes sense, thanks for the explanation