PDA

View Full Version : Primula Scotica

Dman
11-Jun-14, 22:01
Hi,

I have a friend that originally comes from Orkney and is a conservationist/ environmentalist, she is travelling up to Orkney at the end of June beginning of July to visit family, it has been an ambition of hers for a while now to view and take photos of Primula Scotica in it's natural environment.
Is there anywhere that is accessible locally for her to full fill her ambition whilst in the area ??

Many Thanks

Kevin Milkins
11-Jun-14, 22:37
I seen plenty of these on the cliff top at Yesnaby when we stayed with our camper van a few years ago.

sids
11-Jun-14, 22:55
It's as much time as place. I've seen it in July on the braehead between Dounreay and Forss. They get it west of there too.

Kenn
11-Jun-14, 23:01
Grows on Sandside Head but again it's a case of being there at the right time, took me 4 years before I saw it.

Dadie
11-Jun-14, 23:17
Dunnet forest has a "patch" or two ...but the timing is the big thing!..
Wrong time by a week or two and you see nothing worth noting..leaves and a stick poking up...wrong timing less or more then that all you see is leaves if you look close enough (and know what you are looking at).
1st time seeing the elusive plant was on Stroma, on a trip, in full bloom, in abundance...couldnt miss them unless blind!

linda.borgie
11-Jun-14, 23:40
I am more than certain Melness near Tongue has it

Bill Fernie
12-Jun-14, 07:01
The rangers Sea Drift centre Dunnet caravan site near the forest know where they are. If she asks they may take her to the exact spot or give directions.

Might be good to phone them re timing.

01847 821531
Seadrift Dunnet Visitor Centre
Dunnet Caravan Park
Dunnet
Caithness
KW1 8XD (https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=KW1+8XD)

Whitewater
12-Jun-14, 07:52
There are a few clumps spaced out on the walk to the castle of Old Wick, but it is all in the timing. Good luck with your search, there are a few good areas spread throughout Caithness.

Hoida
13-Jun-14, 10:51
Bettyhill, Strathy Point road down to lighthouse also in Armadale.
If you want locations I can pm them to you.

r.rackstraw
14-Jun-14, 21:39
Dunnet Links is probably the best place.