PDA

View Full Version : Police in sutherland

Green_not_greed
10-Jun-14, 22:46
For the second time in 12 months I've ended up trying to report something or request advice from the Brora Police Station. It was closed both times. With Golspie now no more than an office, is there anywhere between Dornoch and Helmsdale which is still manned ?

Tonight I was simply trying to alert the police to the state of flooding from the Cambusavie brae right through Mound to Golspie. Conditions were absolutely terrible, with 150mm of water lying in places, and a river running down and across the road at Cambusavie brae. There were no warning signs up and I will be surprised if no accidents happened.

Just wondering.

GNG

Mr P Cannop
11-Jun-14, 06:08
they will wait till one is caused

Bill Fernie
11-Jun-14, 09:00
The changes to police station opening times have been going on for the past few years. See this item from the BBC news web site in March 2013. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-21659458

The changes have come about due to trying to maintain front line police services on the streets particularly
at night. 95% of calls are by phone so having police sit in a police station was not efficient.

Some stations such as Wick have a phone outside to contact them.

davem
11-Jun-14, 09:18
Ring 101? Maybe

Wizzbang
11-Jun-14, 09:25
Cuts politically spun as progress.

badger
11-Jun-14, 19:07
Ring 101? Maybe

That's what they tell us to do these days. You then have to explain exactly where you are - road no. helps as they're not exactly familiar with our area so if you're in an unnumbered side road and don't know post code may as well give up. Chances any police will be in the area are pretty remote as there are so few of them - not their fault.

r.rackstraw
14-Jun-14, 21:45
I have used 101 and I found it works OK.
Tip - ask for a reference number so that you can follow it up (or at least so they think you might follow it up).

olrig
15-Jun-14, 03:49
As a retired police officer (Glasgow), the whole policing situation in the far north is purely & simply down to money. It does not matter one jot how the (hated) politicians and senior officers dress it up, police services in most areas are pretty much non-existent. On a personal note, I have had occasion to contact Police Scotland on 3 separate occasions re the same potential scam which I deem needed to be in the public domain, and have NOT received even the courtesy of any form of reply. My concern was published in the local JOG Journal. I have a vantage point enabling me to monitor traffic through the village I am resident in, and almost never see any form of patrol, even passing through. Sad times indeed. A recipe for crime to increase!. Why do we keep these millionaires @ the top in control?.

orkneycadian
15-Jun-14, 18:05
Sad times indeed. A recipe for crime to increase!. Why do we keep these millionaires @ the top in control?.

A good question, and one which you might expect to see in the Independence prospectus "Scotlands Future". But alas, it makes absolutely no reference to addressing the concerns of the folks like you, me, or those above, and makes a big play about "maintain this, don't change that..." So, a perfectly good opportunity to write wrongs is going to pass, and even if there was to be a Yes vote, it will just be more of the same. In fact, it might get even worse, if all the policing budget for an independent Scotland is channeled to the Central Belt, where most of the SNP voters live. Fortunately, a Yes vote is looking rather unlikely. :)