PDA

View Full Version : Ships

kitty
09-Mar-07, 16:26
Does anyone know of a site where i can find a list of and hopefully a picture of any ships and boats that were sunk off the coast of caithness. I've been looking for a ship called Hirondelle TB, i think it was french. I have found other ones with the same name but not the one i'm looking for.

Cattach
09-Mar-07, 16:57
Does anyone know of a site where i can find a list of and hopefully a picture of any ships and boats that were sunk off the coast of caithness. I've been looking for a ship called Hirondelle TB, i think it was french. I have found other ones with the same name but not the one i'm looking for.

Any Good?

In late 1942, the SS Hirondelle, a steamer of around 1000 tons newly loaded at Invergordon with stores for the fleet at Scapa Flow, was involved in a collision at night with another vessel off Cromarty. As a result of this she suffered damage and flooding to several holds.

The master and crew managed to run the vessel onto the beach, west of Cromarty.

Later, after pumping out operations, the Hirondelle was able to limp into the inner basin at Invergordon to discharge her damaged cargo. Naval, RAF and dockyard working parties were soon on hand for recovery duties.

Among some of the cargo in the holds that had been flooded was a huge mix of flour, beans, sweets, navy soap, clothing, label-less tins of vegetables and fruit and, of course, corned beef galore. As most of the cargo was to be dumped, the working parties were more than generous to all who were around.

kitty
09-Mar-07, 17:04
Any Good?

In late 1942, the SS Hirondelle, a steamer of around 1000 tons newly loaded at Invergordon with stores for the fleet at Scapa Flow, was involved in a collision at night with another vessel off Cromarty. As a result of this she suffered damage and flooding to several holds.

The master and crew managed to run the vessel onto the beach, west of Cromarty.

Later, after pumping out operations, the Hirondelle was able to limp into the inner basin at Invergordon to discharge her damaged cargo. Naval, RAF and dockyard working parties were soon on hand for recovery duties.

Among some of the cargo in the holds that had been flooded was a huge mix of flour, beans, sweets, navy soap, clothing, label-less tins of vegetables and fruit and, of course, corned beef galore. As most of the cargo was to be dumped, the working parties were more than generous to all who were around.

Thank you. can i ask where you got the information from please. Just so i can have a wee look masel

Cattach
09-Mar-07, 18:27
Thank you. can i ask where you got the information from please. Just so i can have a wee look masel

This is the link:

http://www.ww2inthehighlands.co.uk/folders/localhistory/highonbeef.htm

Hope it works. If not type ss Hirondelle in Google search.

jambo
09-Mar-07, 19:27
dont know a site about sunk ships but a good site to track ships around the british coast is www.aisliverpool.org.uk

Dusty
10-Mar-07, 13:30
Kitty,

Try here, there are four Hirondelle pictures.

Dusty.

http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum/Old%20Ship%20Picture%20Gallery/H/index3.html

Rampant Rabbit
10-Mar-07, 15:42
Sorry folks the ship am looking for was call the TB HIRONDELLE was sunk of Scrabster it was carrying wine i think but thank you for your help