PDA

View Full Version : are you obese?

brandy
08-Mar-07, 19:46
i am *grins*
have included pic to show you my largness!!!
heres a link to see if you a whopper too!
http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/logout/news_features/idealweight_w.htm

Piglet
08-Mar-07, 20:08
Yep i am.:eek:

changilass
08-Mar-07, 20:10
I aint obese, but I am 1'4" too short:lol: :D

gee
08-Mar-07, 20:13
i am larger than the average woman so docs have labelled me obese. who says what is normal eh?? more to cuddle awwww

Billy Boy
08-Mar-07, 20:15
i'am starting to get there, i will soon need a bra for my man boobs:lol:

henry20
08-Mar-07, 20:20
I'm 5'3", but I reckon at 9 stone I'd be too thin and thats the top end of normal :roll:

I once went on a website, tapped in my details and was told I was grossly overweight :( my reaction? Straight to the chocolate for a bit of comfort. lol

Ideally I'd like to be 9 1/2 stone, but the diets not getting a look in these days!!

The_man_from_del_monte
08-Mar-07, 20:59
Far from obese 6' 4 weighing 15 stone, I could do with putting another stone on :eek:

Metalattakk
08-Mar-07, 21:04
Both Mike Tyson and Frank Bruno at their boxing peak (going by the Body Mass Index (BMI)) would today be classed as clinically obese.

I, however, am not at my boxing peak. ;)

emszxr
08-Mar-07, 21:29
no im not. running after 2 kids and 30 odd pets all day helps. hate to think how many times i go up and down the stairs in a day.

lin
08-Mar-07, 21:30
Slightly, I should be 6'4. Did you watch a TV programme last night called size zero. The gym every day greens all the time. I'd rather be slightly overweight and happy.:(

Tristan
08-Mar-07, 21:43
BMI is only good for the "average". It cannot be used on athletes, people with a muscular build or very thin bone structure. It is ok as a guide but only as a guide.

Oddquine
08-Mar-07, 22:20
I'm 4-5 ins too short going by that................but I feel healthy enough..if you discount the aches and pains of old age!

Ooops ..meant too tall..!

Foxy
09-Mar-07, 00:28
I'm 2 inches short going by the chart. :cry:

The_man_from_del_monte
09-Mar-07, 00:45
That chart only goes up to 6' 2" :( Objecshiooooooon! I'm 6' 4" that chart is "heightist" blatant heightism, institutional heightism...... I'm off to complain to the Human Rights Organisation ;)

j4bberw0ck
09-Mar-07, 01:36
I was struck by a TV programme some years ago that said that the top marathon runners averaged 2 lbs bodyweight for every inch of height.

I am, of course, a supremely healthy, disgustingly fit 9' tall marathon runner.

Oh yeahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

htwood
09-Mar-07, 06:18
checking my body mass index at this http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/ gave me a pretty good reading. But i'd be happier at one inch taller. -H

Lolabelle
09-Mar-07, 10:29
i am *grins*
have included pic to show you my largness!!!
heres a link to see if you a whopper too!
http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/logout/news_features/idealweight_w.htm
I only wish I was as obese as you Brandy,
but I reckon that BMI scale is rubbish unless we all would like to be like sickly stick insects with nothing to fall back on when we get a bit crook.
I do realise that there are people who are naturally very thin and also very healthy. But if I have to starve and focus my whole life on exercise and diet to fit into a BMI range, forget it, there is more important thing in life. If there are naturally thin people, why is that we can't have naturally rounder people??

©Amethyst
09-Mar-07, 11:28
Brandy, from your picture it doesn't look like your BMI is 30 +

rom 25 -29.9 you're considered overweight... it's only when your Bmi goes over this that your doctor can use the term obese.

I think the word obese is used to often these days that it is used for people who are simply overweight when it shouldn't be used.

My BMI is 16 (15.6 according to http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmicalc.htm ) which is way too low. Which is just as unhealthy. To gain weight my only option is to build muscle mass as my body just won't let me gain weight through diet.

Everywhere you go there's weight LOSS products... what about weight gain? (I tried complan for 6 months, that didn't work either)

Penelope Pitstop
09-Mar-07, 11:39
That BMI index seems a bit harsh!!!:( lol

I'm just on the border of being obese ......... I'm a clothes size 10 :~( , nearly 9 1/2 stone (nearly I say not quite there yet, lol.......ah but the weekend is coming up!!!)

Bye the way, have a good weekend everyone.

Victoria
09-Mar-07, 11:41
That BMI index seems a bit harsh!!!:( lol

I'm just on the border of being obese ......... I'm a clothes size 10 :~( , nearly 9 1/2 stone (nearly I say not quite there yet, lol.......ah but the weekend is coming up!!!)

Bye the way, have a good weekend everyone.

Snap Penelope Pitstop!!!

Penelope Pitstop
09-Mar-07, 11:43
Brandy, from your picture it doesn't look like your BMI is 30 +

rom 25 -29.9 you're considered overweight... it's only when your Bmi goes over this that your doctor can use the term obese.

I think the word obese is used to often these days that it is used for people who are simply overweight when it shouldn't be used.

My BMI is 16 (15.6 according to http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmicalc.htm ) which is way too low. Which is just as unhealthy. To gain weight my only option is to build muscle mass as my body just won't let me gain weight through diet.

Everywhere you go there's weight LOSS products... what about weight gain? (I tried complan for 6 months, that didn't work either)

Sorry Brandy, but I like Amethyst's BMI scale better than yours!! ..lol. It's far kinder to me!! I'm only 21.6 on it. Whey hey!:lol:

brandy
09-Mar-07, 11:55
my BMI is 31.3
so yup obese!
the most i should weigh is 160 lbs or 11.4 stone.. so i need to loose 3 stone eeekkk.. how do i do that?
where is it suppose to come from.. i could cut off my head arms and legs i guess! *Grins*
i know i need to loose at least a stone.. could prob easy loose a stone and a half.. but i honestly think i would look anorexic if i lost 3 stone!

Penelope Pitstop
09-Mar-07, 12:05
my BMI is 31.3
so yup obese!
the most i should weigh is 160 lbs or 11.4 stone.. so i need to loose 3 stone eeekkk.. how do i do that?
where is it suppose to come from.. i could cut off my head arms and legs i guess! *Grins*
i know i need to loose at least a stone.. could prob easy loose a stone and a half.. but i honestly think i would look anorexic if i lost 3 stone!

Hi Brandy

Only YOU know what weight your body is happy at.... no BMI index can tell you that.:D You look fine the way you are.

DarkAngel
09-Mar-07, 12:31
It also says im obese and im certainly Not!! Im in a size 12 jeans and 10 trousers and im a 10 on the top half!!

:roll:

Tugmistress
09-Mar-07, 12:56
According to the first link i am obese, according to the second link i am normal :roll:

i feel fine and fit in myself so i'll just carry on as i am :D

©Amethyst
09-Mar-07, 13:15
Brandy, you certainly don't look obese! You look just normal to me!

Anyway, I think this could be the chart that your local NHS doctor is more likely to use.

http://www.hebs.scot.nhs.uk/datasets/fulltextp/images/1349/bmi_image002.jpg

Also if you look at this...

http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm200304/cmselect/cmhealth/23/2301.gif

Greece has a much higher obesity level than Scotland... yet the life expectancy of the Scottish is much lower than the Greek. And methinks diet has a lot to do with it... more than weight.

The media has a lot to answer for when it comes to eating problems! We see a super skinny girl on tv looking all happy and pretty so we reach for comfort food if we desire to be that happy etc... or we starve ourselves to try to fit into the image of society that the media is happy to shove down our throats. Either way doesn't do our health any good.

As long as you're healthy and happy, who cares what the media says!?

Don't change anything for anybody but yourself!

dozerboy
09-Mar-07, 13:58
I agree with Changi - I am under tall, although I have lost a stone and a half, but would still like to lose maybe another half stone. Then I might be the right height!!!!!!!

danc1ngwitch
09-Mar-07, 21:20
I aint obese, but I am 1'4" too short:lol: :D
good girl x Piglet u aint obese at all, you take that back lol

danc1ngwitch
09-Mar-07, 21:22
So many charts, if u are feeling fit then ur fine surely?
If you are outta puff going upstairs then ur like me[lol]

crayola
10-Mar-07, 02:30
I am "normal", "ok" or "just right". ;)

JAWS
10-Mar-07, 03:37
Here's a site which makes it easy for you to check, you just fill in your height and weight and it gives you your BMI and says if you are overweight or not.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/healthy_living/your_weight/bmiimperial_index.shtml

At 5'10" it says I should weigh 12 stones. Of course I should. :roll: Yes, I have middle age spread, but even in my 20s if I dropped much below 13 stones I would start feeling jittery and lethargic. I certainly didn't feel on top form.

As with so many other things of late, you have to me made to feel that you are doing something wrong.

It's not long since I had my cholesterol checked. I need to get it down a little. Two years ago the level would have been OK but suddenly the "pass" level had been reduced.
The only conclusion I can draw is that too many people were able to reach the previous level and that would never do, you couldn't make them feel guilty.

Reminds me of the Health Professional who, a few years ago, insisted that the NHS was running perfectly. All the problems were caused by people who wouldn't stop getting ill! (Not his exact words but that is certainly where he was placing the blame) So now you know, the Health Service would be fine if people would only stop using it.

You have to learn to accept that being ill is anti-social behaviour and you should feel ashamed of yourselves for not being healthy. So there!

henry20
10-Mar-07, 09:22
Thanks for that link Jaws, I'm now only overweight - I already knew that!!

I've always been relatively happy being classed as 'overweight' as I've been well aware of the matter. Seems a lot easier to get from overweight to 'ideal' than from obese-overweight-ideal!

brandy
10-Mar-07, 10:04
*grr* im still obese!

Angela
10-Mar-07, 10:58
*grr* im still obese!

Well you certainly don't look it, brandy! :D

henry20
10-Mar-07, 11:00
Thought this result on www.blogthings.com (http://www.blogthings.com) was quite amusing!!

Your BMI is 27.8 - a healthy BMI falls between 18.5 and 25

While you aren't obese, you could use to lose a few pounds (unless you're very muscular).
Your BMI puts you at a slightly higher risk for type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and certain cancers.
Don't starve yourself or crash diet. See a doctor to learn how to lose weight safely.

Don't agree? Blame the government standards we based this test on!

Foxy
10-Mar-07, 15:21
Thank you Jaws for the the link. The chart says i'm ideal but then i always knew that. ;)

Cinders392
10-Mar-07, 19:23
no im not. running after 2 kids and 30 odd pets all day helps. hate to think how many times i go up and down the stairs in a day.

Im in the same boat as emszxr except I dont quite have 30 animals yet, only one bairn but IM working on number 2 so Ill technically be obese in a few months. Especially with the size zero crap! I was crying watching a program one night about 10 year old girls who were anorexic and went to a house to get over their eating problem. The same house was featured in that Size 0 program. Some wouldnt drink water as they thought it would make them fat. I dont beleive that all the skinny talk on TV and in the papers triggers eating disorders directly as there is alot more to it than that but this size 0 talk doesnt help bairns growing up today

connieb19
10-Mar-07, 19:31
I've got more rolls than Macdonalds Bakery. [para]

sam
10-Mar-07, 20:26
I'm not fat i just have some a lot of loose skin to grow into :lol:

rockchick
10-Mar-07, 20:31
well according to my BMI I'm in the "ideal" zone for my weight/height...but I STILL feel like my bum is too big.

Does this make me hopelessly female?

©Amethyst
10-Mar-07, 21:16
well according to my BMI I'm in the "ideal" zone for my weight/height...but I STILL feel like my bum is too big.

Does this make me hopelessly female?

Hopelessly female??? I dunno - but if there's a hopelessly female club out there... I'm joining. Gonna ply pool tonight wi my friend... big bums 'n' all (hate playing pool when I'm not wearing the one pair o trousers that makes my bum look... less big)

brandy
10-Mar-07, 21:30
bum bum!! *sobs* i want a bum!! it disapeared when i had kids! went flat as a flitter.. and darn i use to be so proud of my T&A!
ive got a belly though..
ahhh so thats where my bum went! starts pushing it back teh way.. turn back into a bum darn you!

rockchick
10-Mar-07, 21:52
bum bum!! *sobs* i want a bum!! it disapeared when i had kids! went flat as a flitter.. and darn i use to be so proud of my T&A!
ive got a belly though..
ahhh so thats where my bum went! starts pushing it back teh way.. turn back into a bum darn you!

laff...I've got enough to share! lets see if we can get the government to payfor a bum share-otemy

brandy
10-Mar-07, 21:55
well they wouldnt give me
my mommy tuck!
so i doubt it! *laughs* wonders what i did with that buns of steel video!

rockchick
10-Mar-07, 21:57
you know...if they would just that That out of my thighs...

and pump IT into my tits...

I would be extremely well balanced.

but no...that's just not going to happen, is it?

brandy
10-Mar-07, 21:59
*laughs* well... we could compile a list.. of all the things we "need" to change.. but i dont think the org has that much space on it!

rockchick
10-Mar-07, 22:08
In all fairness...I don't "need" to change anything

Heck...I'm almost 40...so I can't expect perfection, can I?

If I was given 1 free operation, I would prefer to have my knees surgically safetened, so that they didn't dislocate ever again...rather than have liposuction get rid of that bit of fat on my thighs

but...I don't have a choice for either...so it's not an option. I, like everyone else...just has to make do.

brandy
10-Mar-07, 22:15
i cant think of anything i actually need either.. i can think of loads i want though!
flat toned belly..
no stretch marks!
a small pert nose!
brighter than white smile!
a nice round perky butt..
nice round perky boobs!
ohhh to banish all that cellulite to hell!
let the devil have it!
*Giggles* umm can come up with more!

rockchick
10-Mar-07, 22:42
But...do you really need all that to feel attractive?

After all, what does your man like about you? I'll bet, penny to the pound. that its your personality over your figure...the packaging is just the ribbon on the package. So don't worry about it! Just enjoy yourself as you are...and the rest will follow

JAWS
11-Mar-07, 08:17
Thought this result on www.blogthings.com (http://www.blogthings.com) was quite amusing!!

Your BMI is 27.8 - a healthy BMI falls between 18.5 and 25

While you aren't obese, you could use to lose a few pounds (unless you're very muscular).
Your BMI puts you at a slightly higher risk for type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and certain cancers.
Don't starve yourself or crash diet. See a doctor to learn how to lose weight safely.

Don't agree? Blame the government standards we based this test on!

I couldn't agree more. Has anybody ever heard an explanation as to how these "Healthy Weights" were arrived at?

I have my own suspicions but, then again, I am always suspicious of politicians persisting in telling people what to do because, "It's for your own good!"
And with this lot and their determination to try to poke their noses into every detail of people's lives I can't help thinking that they are trying to make us think we will never survive without them.

What worries me is that they haven’t issued guidelines about the healthy length of periods between bowel movements. Hang on folks while I answer the phone.
“What’s that? Sorry Tony, no I didn’t know you were going to make a statement the House about it next week. No Tony, nobody’s been “leaking”, that was just me flushing!”

Ricco
11-Mar-07, 11:51
I have never classed myself as obese - just packing a few extra pounds. But I was horrified when I checked myself out on the chart.... until I looked at the title ah, for women. Phew! Thank goodness; where's the blokey one? :D

Tristan
11-Mar-07, 13:33
just change the _w to a _m. Like this:

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/logout/news_features/idealweight_m.htm

Ricco
11-Mar-07, 21:36
just change the _w to a _m. Like this:

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/logout/news_features/idealweight_m.htm

Oh thank goodness - I'm normal. Phew!:roll:

Errogie
11-Mar-07, 22:22
Dash, I was just beginning to feel good about myself using the female calculations and now back to being well under weight and confidence shot to bits. You can take all the fun out of walking and any form of exercise if you engage in some sort of ongoing cosmic accounting exercise between yourself and the bathroom scales and the blood pressure machine et al.

Remember seeing my first heart/ pulse monitor on a bloke in a running race a number of years ago, he had a band around his chest and various wires, straps and gauges attached to his person which all looked extremely impressive. Still don't know what happened to him because I never saw him again and he didn't go past me!

I reckon stress is a real killer and perhaps it's counter productive to get too obsessed or wound up on this issue if you're not way past the mark. On a related subject I cannot for the life of me float in fresh water and just sink like a stone and am deeply envious of those woman who just bob around like they are lying back in an armchair and also can withstand the cold so much better. That's a real survival bonus in event of shipwreck. I'd be a goner in no time so look on the bright side ladies!

pops31
15-Mar-07, 16:37
Dear Brandy

With what you have been through ovr the past couple of months I think you look FANTASTIC!! to hell with BMI and all that crap. :)

golach
15-Mar-07, 16:46
Oh thank goodness - I'm normal. Phew!:roll:
Does it tell you that also Ricco? Ooh your are awful.......but I like you :lol:

Bloo
15-Mar-07, 18:08
bah! never you mind you lot. who cares. As long as your not the size of a truck and need to be carried around on a flat bed your ok. Most women and men in caithness are average and most of us are average.

Dusty
15-Mar-07, 23:20
Tall, handsome, fit, toned and lightly bronzed are just five of the things I'm not.
I announced at work that I was joining a Gym, "What as" came the reply, "a medicine ball?"
I do need to loose a bit and my wife has started reducing my portions at meal times but I can't bring myself to cut back on my beer yet.

©Amethyst
16-Mar-07, 08:29
bah! never you mind you lot. who cares. As long as your not the size of a truck and need to be carried around on a flat bed your ok. Most women and men in caithness are average and most of us are average.

If most people in a certain area were overweight, then the average would be overweight. So could you define (and I know I'm being awkward here) your perception of 'average'?