PDA

View Full Version : What hand cream?

Fluff
07-Mar-07, 23:10
What hand cream do you use? i need a recommendation for a good one that lasts awhile.
with my job i have to wash my hands quite alot and the skin on the outer layer is starting to crack. it really hurts!

i smothered myself with vasline tody, it worked but i had very shiny hands lol!

any suggestions would be grrreat!

Saveman
07-Mar-07, 23:22
Unguentum Merck

Expensive but unbeatable

horseman
07-Mar-07, 23:48
What hand cream do you use? i need a recommendation for a good one that lasts awhile.
with my job i have to wash my hands quite alot and the skin on the outer layer is starting to crack. it really hurts!

i smothered myself with vasline tody, it worked but i had very shiny hands lol!

any suggestions would be grrreat!

Neutrogenar.. Works smashing, all the best with it.

Torvaig
07-Mar-07, 23:56
My hands are quite sensitive to a lot of things and I use E45 cream all the time. There is a tube in the bathroom, the kitchen and I carry one with me when I leave home!

Without it my hands come up in small blisters and then become so itchy that I can scratch the skin off but since using the E45, no problem.

Good luck.

rockchick
08-Mar-07, 06:35
I can recommend Neutrogena's norwegian formula...it acts like a glove and really helps protect your hands. I used it when I worked in a fish shop - all that salt water and washing my hands all the time - this cream was the only way I could cope. It's expensive, but a little goes a long way.

Fluff
08-Mar-07, 20:30
sounds good.i work for boots opticians and work alot with contact lenses so i have to wash my hands alot. out store also seems to have quite powerful air con, everyones hands are always so dry.

will have to put my discount to good use i think!

marlyn
08-Mar-07, 21:24
I really like the bodyshop's hemp hand cream.

Angela
08-Mar-07, 21:46
My hands are quite sensitive to a lot of things and I use E45 cream all the time. There is a tube in the bathroom, the kitchen and I carry one with me when I leave home!

Without it my hands come up in small blisters and then become so itchy that I can scratch the skin off but since using the E45, no problem.

Good luck.

A few weeks ago I started having a similar problem...tiny itchy blisters on the backs of my hands (rather like shingles to look at) and small painful cracks between my fingers.
I've always used handcream for dry skin but the normal one seemed to make matters worse.
Like Torvaig, started using E45 cream, after washing my hands and also at bedtime...absolutely fine now! :D

Ojibwa
08-Mar-07, 21:48
I've used Vaseline Intensive Care unscented, E45, and the Norwegian one and can recommend them all.

WeeBurd
08-Mar-07, 21:48
Fluff, I'm suffering from a tiny, but painful "hack" on my hand right now, thanks to my obsessive handwasing - I have it on very good authority that a drop of Sudocrem on it then cover it up with gloves/clingfilm/ whatever, before you go to bed, will have it fixed up, virtually overnight.

I'll be trying this myself tonight :lol: !

emb123
09-Mar-07, 00:39
I suffer the exact same problem and also suffer from contact Dermatitis (perfectly ok as long as I avoid detergents more than just occasionally - and never use any product by 'Palmolive' for some reason).

I recently got some 'Cuticura, Dry Skin Moisture Cream' a rather large 300ml tub for 99p in a shop called 'Savers' in Stevenage that I've just moved from. I imagine it's a relatively cheap most places and it's one of the best I've used. Slightly oily but really works. They do a 'Vitamin E' one which is a bit lighter and is extremely pleasant to use and rapidly absorbed.

The best one I ever used was the Johnsons Baby Moisturising cream which cost a small fortune and is really hard to get - came in a tube like a toothpaste tube. The Cuticura Dry Skin formula is about as good, just a little more oily is all. Certainly better than Atrixo for my skin, similar to Nivea at about 1/3 of the price.

The Savers shop also do pretty much the entire 'Cyclax' ranger of 300ml tubs for 99p. If you find any that you really like from among the Cuticura or Cyclax range, I have enough friends in Stevenage who could post 'bulk' hand cream packages up LOL, which would probably still work out much cheaper even taking the postage into account.

I'd recommend the Cuticura one anyhow - it's good and terrific value for money :)

Sporran
09-Mar-07, 09:00
Like some of the other folk on this thread, I also find Neutrogena's Norwegian Formula hand cream very effective. The tube isn't very big, but a little of the cream goes a long way. I also comes in an unscented variety, as well as the very mildly fragranced one. I also like Aveeno lotions and handcream, which contain soothing natural colloidal oatmeal. I'm not sure if the Aveeno brand is available in the UK or not, but it is put out by Johnson and Johnson, who make the baby powder. The tube of Aveeno Intense Relief Hand Cream is fantastic, and it truly is non-greasy, and is fragrance free. Johnson's also have a fairly new product over here in the US called Johnson's Softcream Extra Care Healing Hand Cream (also in a tube).That's wonderful too, but not quite as ungreasy as the Aveeno hand cream. It has a mild, pleasant scent, and lasts through some hand washings, like the Aveeno one does.

rockchick
09-Mar-07, 14:15
sounds good.i work for boots opticians and work alot with contact lenses so i have to wash my hands alot. out store also seems to have quite powerful air con, everyones hands are always so dry.

will have to put my discount to good use i think!

If that's the case then the Norwegian cream is probably best for you, as it isn't greasy, which would be a detriment if you're working with contacts.

Good luck! and let us know how you get on.

Fluff
09-Mar-07, 19:31
well i bought 3 types to try
i got the nutrogena one (unscented)
The new one from johnson and johnson which is meant to last between washes and some vasleine intensive care.

tried the nutrogenia at work, can feel it working like a barrier but i didnt like the texture much, just tried the j&j stuf, seems ok. will try the vasleine tonight.

its werid in the mornings, (i guess its swety hands) they get really itchy and devolp small red lumps and clear blisters. once i wash my hands it seems better.

cant win

Fluff
09-Mar-07, 20:53
Ok i have tried all three now and so far my favourite is the Vaseline intensive care (healthy hand & nail) my hands feel really soft!
still see how they are this time next week

poppett
10-Mar-07, 00:20
Dove do a separate hand cream for night and day....I am a dove addict....but they work really well. For hacks and really dry skin, especially if working with paper or cardboard "epaderm" rubbed in at bedtime and wear disposable gloves. It washes off in the morning like soap and skin is rehydrated. It is available on prescription in a 500g tub and lasts for ages. Good luck with the trials, looking forward to hearing the results

WeeBurd
10-Mar-07, 00:35
Fluff, I'm suffering from a tiny, but painful "hack" on my hand right now, thanks to my obsessive handwasing - I have it on very good authority that a drop of Sudocrem on it then cover it up with gloves/clingfilm/ whatever, before you go to bed, will have it fixed up, virtually overnight.

I'll be trying this myself tonight :lol: !

Tried this last night, and was delighted with the results, the hack certainly was not causing any pain when exposed to water/soap or when my finger was bent/extended.

Unfortunately, I undid all the good work, by putting two lines of washing out mid-morning, without wearing gloves, in that biting cold wind! Hands were completely red and sore when I came in (even hubby commented on how red they were). Will be repeating the Sudocrem tonight again!

mostlyharmless
10-Mar-07, 23:18
Use something natural and local a hand balm with no chemicals or preservatives etc. Made here in Caithness try http://www.croftlotionsandpotions.com they use various herbs for various types of skin and they work.

davem
11-Mar-07, 00:56
Atrixo is what my mum swears by. Cracked and craggy hands after much gardening. Its a bit sticky for a while but it works for me after cracked hands from cement and concrete.

sms
11-Mar-07, 12:28
I have really bad dry skin on my hands and it was getting sore, I bought Hemp hand cream from body shop and after a day of reapplying my hands felt and looked better. Now i use it everyday. Worth every penny.

windswept
11-Mar-07, 20:25
one of the best creams i've come across is from The Tub range by Scottish Fine Soap Co - its got carrot root oil in it ,smells great , not too heavy for everyday use and it really calms the skin.
Havent seen it locally but the little shop in the enclosed market in Inverness stock the tub range.

Darrener
11-Mar-07, 22:22
Here's two more to throw into the pot:
1. Skinsure -http://www.hygieia.uk.com/ It has had a lot of publicity recently as a miracle cure. I find it a bit thin.
2. Ultrabase - I've used this for years on my ecsema. It was originally used for diluting down Dermovate etc. It's nice and thick, comes in a pump dispenser from the pharrmacy counter at Boots and isn't so oily that it causes tiny blisters under your skin.

sweetpea
11-Mar-07, 22:50
I use Body Shop Hemp all the time but it's like any other cream they can only do so much. I never thought I'd ever wear Marigolds but I do for all sorts of jobs.

Fluff
16-Mar-07, 23:25
Ok my reslults of using the hand creams all week. WHAT and improvement in my hands.
at home, every night, i have been using Vaseline Intensive Card (healthy nails). At work, about once or twice a day, i have been using the Netrogena (sp) Norwegian formula which really works as a barrier.

My hands were really starting to resemble a lizard shedding its skin but lovley and soft now!

thanks to everyone who replied, i would never have thought of the Norwegian one :)

jim112233
24-Mar-07, 21:10
Hiya i was my hands a hell of a lot and my hands dry up like mad i have started using neutrogena hand cream buy the concentrated one its better and will have ur hands soft in 2days. Its great.

brandy
08-Apr-07, 23:06
ok .. gonna really really gross some peeps out here.. but the best thing in the world is udder cream..
you can buy it in the shops back home but can prob. buy it at any animal shop here.. its just what it says it is.. udder cream.. for farm animals.. as their teats get cracked can be extremley painfull and dangerous.. it works wonders on human skin as well.. without all the extra's that come in people cream.
it will soften and smooth out those rough painfull spots in no time!
and its really gentle on you as well..
hope this helps

peedie
09-Apr-07, 16:04
we have lots of that in the house,must try it!!! i've been using arran aromatics hand cream, makes your hands nice and soft and also covers that deliteful eau de sheep smell that lingers around lambing time.....[lol]

wild1
19-Apr-07, 20:46
It has to be hemp handcream by the body shop it's really good and does wonders for my hands, Ive tried lots of other hand creams too and they don't work as good as hemp hand cream.