PDA

View Full Version : should this 42 stone woman get help from the nhs

emszxr
07-Mar-07, 20:49
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/07032007/397/woman-weighing-42st-die-0.htm (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/07032007/397/woman-weighing-42st-die-0.html)

as thread asks. she has already had some help 4 years ago that the nice tax payer paid for. and she admits to still snacking on take-aways and unhealthy food every day. so should the tax payer yet again pay for soemone to recieve help from the nhs when she isnt even helping herself.

Victoria
07-Mar-07, 20:52
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/07032007/397/woman-weighing-42st-die-0.htm (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/07032007/397/woman-weighing-42st-die-0.html)

as thread asks. she has already had some help 4 years ago that the nice tax payer paid for. and she admits to still snacking on take-aways and unhealthy food every day. so should the tax payer yet again pay for soemone to recieve help from the nhs when she isnt even helping herself.

Not if she's alreday had help at the tax payers expense.

Do they not monitor and council people after they have these kind of operations or do they just leave people to go back to their old ways?

darkman
07-Mar-07, 20:54

as thread asks. she has already had some help 4 years ago that the nice tax payer paid for. and she admits to still snacking on take-aways and unhealthy food every day. so should the tax payer yet again pay for soemone to recieve help from the nhs when she isnt even helping herself.If she is refusing psychiatric help then what exactly are they supposed to do with her?

emszxr
07-Mar-07, 21:00
If she is refusing psychiatric help then what exactly are they supposed to do with her?

exactly she doesnt want help i dont think. if she did she would take the psychiatric help. she is may be jumping on the band wagon from last weeks, obese kids stories that filled the news and papers, and blaming the nhs for not helping. but why should the nhs and tax payer help someone that has got into the situation they are in. the nhs and the tax payer are not to blame.

Tristan
07-Mar-07, 21:01
Is she any different that George Best? or smokers? or alcoholics?

brandy
07-Mar-07, 21:11
i did ask for a mummy tuck when they were delivering tom, but they told me it cost extra

darkman
07-Mar-07, 21:18
she is may be jumping on the band wagon from last weeks, obese kids stories that filled the news and papers.That was a crying shame seeing those poor kids put on show for the public as if they wont have a hard enough time in school and life in general.

connieb19
07-Mar-07, 21:31
Surely whoever is doing the shopping and providing her with food should take some of the blame. They are nown as "feeders" and it is a form of abuse. [evil]

emb123
07-Mar-07, 21:38
seems like the NHS are being brutally realistic with her.

Not perhaps before time - if the NHS don't help her she'll over-eat herself into a slightly earlier grave. Unless she loses half her bodyweight it'll only be a question of a few years difference. She doesn't appear to care and that's a shame.

I have very mixed feelings about this.

My sympathies go to the woman and her friends and family as she may suffer from a medical condition which means she constantly feels hungry, or she may as claimed be suffering emotionally and eat for comfort. Either way, in one sense it's not her fault. The cure ultimately however is in her hands. If she doesn't stop eating too much and switch to serious dieting then she'll die.

She's in a catch-22 situation but I think sooner or later - the NHS have to stop throwing vast sums of money away and spend it saving those people they CAN help.

lassieinfife
07-Mar-07, 21:42
Her husband buys take-aways for her so he is largely to blame.... she wants private nursing care in a private hospital,which she has had and lost several stone but once discharged instead of continuing diet she went back to old eating pattern ,if they spent less money on unhealthy food they could pay for her nursing care, her local authority have said they will give support through psychiatric care but she has refused that, she wants is thousands of pounds of our tax money to cushion her lifestyle, spend the money on helping the kids if she wont help herself why should we

badger
07-Mar-07, 22:44
There was an odd news item this morning about the problem of obese mothers giving birth - apparently they are often too heavy for the hospital equipment, which means they must be pretty big. What amazed me was that they said consultants are too embarrassed to talk to them about it. What kind of consultants are these? Why are they embarrassed? Obesity is a dangerous physical state, particularly for pregnant mothers. It's the consultants' duty to warn them and talk about it.

Do sometimes wonder why the NHS should be spending so much money - our money - on people who simply refuse to help themselves. At the moment it seems they can only refuse treatment, say, an operation would be life-threatening because the patient smokes or is grossly overweight. But then where would they draw the line? I can see all kinds of ethical problems. Does make me angry though when so many people are genuinely suffering through no fault of their own and have to wait while so many who can't be bothered to watch their health get treatment.

henry20
07-Mar-07, 22:48
There was an odd news item this morning about the problem of obese mothers giving birth - apparently they are often too heavy for the hospital equipment, ....

I thought it was that the fat obstructed the heartbeat or sight of the baby making it harder to pick up any problems with the unborn child. That was certainly the angle they made an issue of on the news tonight.

One woman who lost her child was told that the problems may have been noticed if she had been thinner.

darkman
07-Mar-07, 23:03
Surely whoever is doing the shopping and providing her with food should take some of the blame. They are nown as "feeders" and it is a form of abuse. [evil]They like their women big apparently.

justine
07-Mar-07, 23:22
i am gonna have to desagree with some and agree with others.....I think no matter what the situation every human, should be entitled to medical treatment...How do some holiday makers think if they go on holiday have an accident and then find it will cost them dearly, they would want to be treated... Although i do think she and her family could make more of an effort........But i think of the baby and it should be allowdto live no matter who is paying for it.....:lol: :confused

johno
07-Mar-07, 23:39

This woman sure needs help of some kind, sure it would seem that she is a glutton, i myself am about one and a half stone over weight and im finding it hard to slim down so i cant imagine what she must be going through. i dont suppose that she wants to be trapped in a body like that[ albet of her own doing] but is the nhs to stop treating alchoholics,drug addicts. other people who through no fault of their own are insane. personally i think that she aught to get all the help she needs. that is my personal view. if some one wants to be helped. then lets give them the help they need to try and get their life back on track. looks like as if she doe,s succeed in losing the weight she needs to ,there is going to be some amount of surgery to get rid of the surplus folds of fat. i sincerly hope she manages it .:~(

Torvaig
08-Mar-07, 00:03
Is she any different that George Best? or smokers? or alcoholics?

Exactly.... the NHS is for everyone.

JAWS
08-Mar-07, 04:39
If her condition is causing her medical problems and/or shortening her life then she has as much right to treatment on the NHS as anybody else.

The NHS was not set up to pass Moral Judgement on anybody and, despite the recent trend of the Department of Health and certain parts of the Health Service, they should not be doing so.

There are many medical conditions which are as a result of od so called "life-style choices" some of which I would not mention on this board.
Once you start down that road, where do you stop? "I don't like your morals so I'm going to condemn you to die!"

Perhaps we should just go back to executing people who do not conform to our standards because refusing to give them Medical Treatment is just the same only less visible!

pat
08-Mar-07, 11:15
The NHS is not refusing help - she has refused offer of help, a psychiatric hospital. They deal with eating problems so why does she not accept that is where she should go - what is so different with her that she considers she should be treated differently to anybody else with eating problems be it anorexia, bulimia, overeating, compulsive eating, comfort eating.
Now we are in a situation where the doctor says psychiatric hospital, the patient says "no", what is the doctor meant to do?
If you have a broken arm go to doctor, says cast on arm for six weeks, the patient does not say no I have a broken leg I must have my leg in a cast - what is the difference?
The patient is refusing treatment it is up to her - would the doctor treating the broken arm plaster your leg instead?
If she wants to pay privately for treatment she considers will work let her.
Why should the NHS pay for what she wants and is not considered necessary medically?

badger
08-Mar-07, 11:46
Agree with Pat. Obviously the NHS is there for everyone but surely there has to be some degree of co-operation. If a patient is mentally unable to help themselves, e.g. by diet or stopping smoking, they should at least accept psychiatric help or money is simply wasted. If the NHS budget was limitless I suppose there would be no problem but I have seen too many people wait years in pain for operations they desperately need and who are doing everything possible to co-operate. Everyone has a right to treatment but too often now people demand rights without responsibility.

BTW henry, the news report I heard (several times) definitely stated that many women were too heavy for the equipment, not that they were too fat, which indicates collapsing beds or trolleys maybe? I know heavy and fat go together but the word used indicated weight rather than obstruction. You obviously heard a different report presenting an equally serious angle.

Penelope Pitstop
08-Mar-07, 12:04
Tape up her mouth would be a good start:lol: lol (only joking)

Based on the TV interviews I have seen she and her husband don't appear to be doing much to help the situation. He could cut down on the rubbish food he gives her in exchange for more health food, fruit, veg, etc. She has 4 young children, surely that would be incentive enough for anyone to turn their life around?

She's too big at the moment for a surgeon to do anything with so I would imagine physiciatric help is all that is open to her, but someone said she is refusing it.......! She is probably hoping for another stint in the Priory at £5000 a week......In my opinion that's a disgusting use of tax payers money.

On the other side of the coin we have the guy on the news last week that the NHS built a special room for his dialysis treatment because he was so abusive to staff, etc........

I'm glad this family can afford all the takeaways, etc.....don't know if we could and we work full time (don't think they do)!

Unfortunately, if she doesn't want to help herself, no one else can.:~(

emszxr
08-Mar-07, 12:13
no the husband doesnt work , he had to quit being a chef to care for her. and surely being a chef he knows what is healthy food and what he should be feeding her. ok she moans at him if he doesnt give her her take-aways and sweets, but she has no choice what he gives her as she cant move , so he should be giving her healthy food. so is he to blame for the situation she is in.
she was on the tv again this morning, and to me i honestly dont think if she gets help or not. she didnt seem too bothered when asked if she would like the help of a gastric bypass to help her.

newpark
08-Mar-07, 14:37
Why shouldn't she. People who don't bother to get out their bed in the morning get paid for not working. People with loads of kids which they can't afford get help to raise them, druggies get help by getting free methadone, etc etc etc This woman has an addiction just like anyone else if everyone else can get help why not her. Either help every addict or none of them.

pentlander
08-Mar-07, 15:13
Heres some help for free.

Dont eat so much and do a bit of exercise.

Not hard realy is it. Im sure thats what they said to her in the priory but in a gentle fluffy client centered way.

newpark
08-Mar-07, 15:44

Not hard realy is it. Im sure thats what they said to her in the priory but in a gentle fluffy client centered way.

If it's that easy why are there so many Junkies why not say stop doing drugs it's easy. Come on think about it. To people without an addiction it is easy to say give up the fags, give up the booze etc.

Why do all people think that being obese is about eating too much. It is an addiction also to food.

_Ju_
08-Mar-07, 15:45

It is alot more complicated than that. A person does not eat themselves to that size because "they want to" or "feel like it". Fortunately for many people who have diseases that are induced by bahaviours and life choices (and unfortunately for the tax payer, I suppoose you could say) the NHS treats them all. If you start going down the road of not treating these type of "self inflicted" diseases deciding where to draw the line becomes impossible. You could choose not to treat alchoholics and drug addicts. You could choose not to treat high colesterol and blood pressure ( what a big save that would be). You could choose to send lung/throat/mouth and bowel cancer patients home to die with no treatment (smoking or diets excluding vegetables can provoke these). Eventually you could refuse treatment to children born with genetic problems such as cystic fibrosis or women in families with histories of breast cancer, because these can be genetically tested for and thus the birth of those children avoided. Where would you stop?

This woman is ill, and part of her illness is also refusing the psychiatric help. The NHS ( or better: medical profession) don't and cannot be allowed to refuse help on the basis that it is difficult.

PS: The husband, in my opinion, is an enabler and is helping to kill his wife. This is an assisted suicide which is illegal in the uk...... so why aren't social services pointing that out?

danc1ngwitch
08-Mar-07, 15:55
Help the ones that need help and she is one of them.

pat
08-Mar-07, 16:12
What does this woman want - she refuses psychiatric help which the medical people recommend.
Are they going to use a section of the Mental Health Act, remove her to a secure unit for her own safety, forcibly reduce her intake - will she then cry the medics have infringed my freedom and free will to eat what I want, when I want and to be any size I want?
She does not want psychiatric help which is what the medics advise.

She apparently wants a prescription pad to write her own prescriptions, - has she suddenly become medically trained and knows what is best.
If she knows best why is she the size she is at present?

pentlander
08-Mar-07, 17:01
It is alot more complicated than that. A person does not eat themselves to that size because "they want to" or "feel like it". Fortunately for many people who have diseases that are induced by bahaviours and life choices (and unfortunately for the tax payer, I suppoose you could say) the NHS treats them all. If you start going down the road of not treating these type of "self inflicted" diseases deciding where to draw the line becomes impossible. You could choose not to treat alchoholics and drug addicts. You could choose not to treat high colesterol and blood pressure ( what a big save that would be). You could choose to send lung/throat/mouth and bowel cancer patients home to die with no treatment (smoking or diets excluding vegetables can provoke these). Eventually you could refuse treatment to children born with genetic problems such as cystic fibrosis or women in families with histories of breast cancer, because these can be genetically tested for and thus the birth of those children avoided. Where would you stop?

This woman is ill, and part of her illness is also refusing the psychiatric help. The NHS ( or better: medical profession) don't and cannot be allowed to refuse help on the basis that it is difficult.

PS: The husband, in my opinion, is an enabler and is helping to kill his wife. This is an assisted suicide which is illegal in the uk...... so why aren't social services pointing that out?
Im sorry but that is the trouble with this country. Nobody is prepared to take responsibility for there own actions. It's always someone's fault. The reason she is that fat is because she eats too much. End of story.

Listener
08-Mar-07, 18:36
I don’t actually have much information on the specifics of this particular woman’s case other than the news article in the link, however:

“Tape up her mouth would be a good start”

“Dont eat so much and do a bit of exercise”

“The reason she is that fat is because she eats too much”

All these statements are the kind of thing that anyone who has a serious weight problem hears all the time, when I say serious problem I include Anorexics and Bulimics not just Obese people.

Having tried numerous diets of all types and descriptions my wife approached her GP about her weight problem looking for some help, serious help. The response: “Eat more salad and use a small plate” ……….. well that’s a new one!
She was sent away feeling even more upset and helpless and with the last bit of self esteem ripped up had nowhere else to look for help.
Now if your doctor isn’t prepared to take your health concerns seriously who is?
This is the NHS’ approach to fighting obesity, if they are not prepared to try and help people early on when they are looking for help then they can only expect to see more people like this woman.

For people who suffer with weight problems. And I mean people who suffer not someone who has put on a few pounds over Christmas or someone who thinks there love handles are too big.
For those who throughout the larger part of their life have struggled with their weight and have been on endless diets and had people stare at them all the time, people making rude remarks, taking fun and laughing at them. When they do try and go to the gym they suffer the same warm welcome, laughed at, stared at and ridiculed. Feeling crap about themselves and being made to feel worse when those around them bully and ridicule them are you not surprised that they may comfort eat and then the whole situation starts again but is that little bit worse each time.

It’s not really as easy as just eating less, if it were we’d all have perfect bodies surely?

Don’t get me wrong people need to help themselves just as must as the help they may need from the NHS and more importantly need the help of those around them. But again society doesn’t help either being effectively outcasted by society and being discriminated against because of your weight doesn’t make you really feel good either, these people are not really wanting to be obese and feel bad enough already.
And when they turn to their doctors for help they don’t really get it because the doctors think its as easy as: “Eat more salad and use a small plate”!

Just some food for thought. Excuse the pun.

It is a difficult question though, where do you draw the line.
You smoke – sorry no treatment!
You drink – sorry no treatment!
You take drugs – sorry no treatment!
You play sports – sorry no treatment for your broken leg you got during that tackle!
You eat – sorry no treatment!
You drive a car – sorry no treatment for your car crash!
You read - sorry no treatment for going blind.
You do DIY - Sorry no treatment for your thumb you hit with a hammer!

Not only but also:

“There was an odd news item this morning about the problem of obese mothers giving birth - apparently they are often too heavy for the hospital equipment, which means they must be pretty big.”

15 stone actually! WickHospital can not operate on anyone over 15 stone apparently. My wife was sent down to Raigmore to give birth because she was over 15 stone and they don’t have the equipment, i.e. beds, to put her on if they needed to perform an emergency C section!

So people in Caithness if your 15 stone or more don’t expect much help here!

Incidentally I’m 15 stone and my BMI is 26 only 1 point from my ideal body weight. (a bowel movement will probably correct that!):eek:

_Ju_
08-Mar-07, 18:46
Im sorry but that is the trouble with this country. Nobody is prepared to take responsibility for there own actions. It's always someone's fault. The reason she is that fat is because she eats too much. End of story.

I would love to live in your black/white, right/wrong world. Unfortunately I was evicted around when my childhood ended.

I didn't say the husband was to blame. I said he was an enabler ( he enables her choices). She is eating herself to death because she has mental and/or physical problems. At this time she is not able to take responsibility for what she is doing. If she had she would have made a change a long, long time ago. Some people are not able to take reponsibility for themselves and need others to do it for them. Should we just disgard those in this situation? We could start by spring cleaning old age homes.

brandy
08-Mar-07, 19:34
saying that im 14 stone.. and im considered clinically obese..
and i stand at 5 ft 7 ish.. almost 5'8"
and have a big body frame.
yet.. they say for me to be close to my ideal weight i need to loose two stone.
i know that a couple days after having tom i weighed 15 stone.. God knows what i weighed when i was preg. as he weighed 10lbs 14 ozs and i had way more fluid than normal.. and with the placenta.. ect..ect..
i cant imagine loosing two stone.. as i would be skelatal!
i would like to get down to about 13 stone.. would be happy with that!
ive weighed 12 stone when i was younger and looked sick..
sunken cheeks ect..
who wants to look like that! *grins* not I!
saying that heres a pic of me a few days ago.. do i really look OBESE?

scorrie
08-Mar-07, 21:56
Make those who peddle the crap that passes as food pay for the operations.

"Doo, doo, doo, doo, doo.....I'm luvin' it". Trouble is, it is Doo-Doo that you are eating.

"Two vomit burgers and a lashing of MSG please". "Wanna Supersize that?", "Why not, I'd be better off with the Heart Attack than the Alzheimers anyway!"

Endless adverts for convenience cack that they will deliver to your door, just in case you had any obscene notion to actually prize your ass off the couch and take those 39 steps to the car.

It is culture that is at fault more than any individual. King Size Mars Bars, 30% bigger, 50% extra free, two for one etc. It is all about consuming MORE.

Let the companies BOGOF and start taking responsibility for their unhealthy, processed Pee!!

Bobinovich
08-Mar-07, 22:41
Good one Scorrie! Well the Government banned tobacco advertising because it was sending out the wrong signals, so fast food, sweets, and anything else they deem 'bad for us' will be on the same menu in due course...

Surely at the end of the day it's up to the individual what they put in their mouths. Just don't expect everyone else to give a damn or foot the bill when you start having problems - especially when you're not willing to take the experts advice and help yourself first.

Treat the cause first then the symptom.

The_man_from_del_monte
08-Mar-07, 22:45
Yeh, don 't expect people to have common sense, assume everyone is an idiot / greedy git and BAN everything.... People have got "choice", don't blame the manufacturers if they choose to over indulge.

scorrie
08-Mar-07, 23:59
Yeh, don 't expect people to have common sense, assume everyone is an idiot / greedy git and BAN everything.... People have got "choice", don't blame the manufacturers if they choose to over indulge.

Your viewpoint is shallow. If manufacturers create addictive products such as cocaine and heroin and give those products massive advertising as "Mmm, luvin' it, bring the family over" feelgood items, do we then blame the consumer for following all the other sheep to the trough?

People are slaves to fashion, people know fast food is cack, however, it is fashionable cack.

"Smoking Kills" is on the Fag packets. Surely it is only equality to have Burger Ming carrying warnings such as "Our product may make you unattractive to the opposite/same sex", "Consuming this item may give you the skitters on a long-term basis", "Long term eating of this muck may lead to speak-your-weight machines shouting "Geez a break, wan at a time!!""

The Man from Del Monte peddled sugar loaded mush as fruit if I recall correctly. Not much change there then ;o)

changilass
09-Mar-07, 00:15
I think its about time people took responsibility for what they put into thier system, be that food or drugs. Blaming someone else is the easy option.

I smoke and would like to be able to stop some time soon, but I do not blame the tobacco companies for my vice, I chose to do and have chosen to continue.

It is easy to see why people do what they want with no consideration to themselves and others when there are folk around saying its ok to blame it all on the manufaturers.

For goodness sake, stand up and take responsibility for your actions instead of blaming it on everyone and everything else.

When those in charge bring in rules folk say they are in a nanny state, if you cant accept responsibility for your own actions then that is exactly where you deserve to be.

The_man_from_del_monte
09-Mar-07, 00:19
Your viewpoint is shallow. If manufacturers create addictive products such as cocaine and heroin and give those products massive advertising as "Mmm, luvin' it, bring the family over" feelgood items, do we then blame the consumer for following all the other sheep to the trough?

My viewpoint is "shallow"? well, that must make yours plain stupid. AFAIK MacDonalds do not lace their hamburgers with coke or smack and it doesn't necessarily equate that people race to the trough to eat something just because they saw it advertised on TV (if they do then they're brainwashed morons IMO) You CANNOT blame others for your over indulgence, I'm sorry.... if you're a greedy with no self control / self discipline then no amount of "healthy eating" ads or "banned" foods will help you.... you'll always find a way to stuff your greedy face.

The_man_from_del_monte
09-Mar-07, 00:33
"Smoking Kills" is on the Fag packets.

Pity "I'm Stupid" isn't tattooed onto some people's foreheads at birth..... If we're going to ban anything please let it be stupid people ;)

badger
09-Mar-07, 12:32
[quote=brandy;199398]saying that im 14 stone.. and im considered clinically obese..
and i stand at 5 ft 7 ish.. almost 5'8"
and have a big body frame. quote]

Sounds to me as if you have big bones, maybe muscles as well? which is not the same at all as being fat. If you look in the mirror in your birthday suit and don't see rolls of fat then I wouldn't worry about it. If everyone was the same size the world would be very boring and there's a difference between "big" and "fat".

Did anyone see the tv programme that was repeated recently about a hugely fat man in the US? He had to be lifted out through his window because he couldn't get up but then lost so much weight he almost looked too thin and proudly appeared on Wogan on tv here looking great. Some time later he was back to being enormous again and looked terrible. While I agree probably obesity is due to greed and lack of exercise, there is no doubt eating for some is either an addiction or a physical (glandular, don't know?) problem and requires help.

What to do if you get someone, like this woman, who won't accept any help? Untreated she will die early and leave motherless children. She must either be seriously mentally ill to risk that or just doesn't care.

scorrie
09-Mar-07, 13:14
My viewpoint is "shallow"? well, that must make yours plain stupid. AFAIK MacDonalds do not lace their hamburgers with coke or smack and it doesn't necessarily equate that people race to the trough to eat something just because they saw it advertised on TV (if they do then they're brainwashed morons IMO) You CANNOT blame others for your over indulgence, I'm sorry.... if you're a greedy with no self control / self discipline then no amount of "healthy eating" ads or "banned" foods will help you.... you'll always find a way to stuff your greedy face.

Where do I say that CacDonalds do lace their products with smack? I can vouch that they do sell Large Cokes but that is a different story and is not my point in any case. I am making the point that cigarettes are well known as causing serious health problems. Obesity is the same and junk food contributes in exactly the same way that ciggies do. Why should the burger and pizza barons be immune to the sanctions imposed on the cigarette business?

If you had any knowledge on the subject, you would be aware of the power of advertising. Humans are very open to the powers of suggestion and companies would not be spending millions of pounds in advertising if it did not bring the necessary increase in sales.

I would class people who blindly follow advertising as perhaps vulnerable and susceptible to the power of suggestion. "Brainwashed Morons" is a term that does not show much depth of thought on the subject. "Greedy " likewise. Many people turn to food through depression, low self esteem etc. It can be comfort against the tide of imagery in the media showing stick-thin, glamourous people that we are all urged to aspire to be. Sadly, for most of us , that image can never be attained. I can only label someone who knowingly eats to problem level as someone in need of help, there must be a deeper, mental problem at hand and I could not be the one to label them a "fat, greedy bar steward" and tell them they were not worthy of treatment.

jings00
09-Mar-07, 19:02
sure she should get help, anorexics get help, it is the same thing, just the other end of the scale, so to speak. severely overweight people may have mental health issues the same as anorexics, it isn't just down to bein greedy and scoffin things that are bad for you

sweetpea
09-Mar-07, 19:53
I think she should get help, that's why it's the NHS (Health Service). Food is definately a comforting way for people who are in distress to deal with life. This lady needs clinical help. I believe it's an addiction like any other and these are physical and mental. NHS isn't just for broken bones and having babies etc

brandy
09-Mar-07, 20:14
but i think she was offered help.. just not what she wanted.. i think.. now not a hundred percent sure.. but didnt they offer her mental health help?
and she turned it down?

j4bberw0ck
09-Mar-07, 20:54
but i think she was offered help.. just not what she wanted.. i think.. now not a hundred percent sure.. but didnt they offer her mental health help?
and she turned it down?

And that opens the difficult and closely related area of should mentally ill people be forced to take medication or forced to undergo some form of treatment?

danc1ngwitch
09-Mar-07, 21:05
Bottom line is that this lady's family brought her food.
Lay the blame where it is due.
Firstly yes she ate for her reason's, whatever they maybe.
But her family fed her, knowing she had a huge problem.
I think that it said she only has a few short months to live if she does not get help.
After she gets help, then who will watch her to make sure she does not put it all back on, as her family cannot be trusted.
unless they also get taught about the dangers of over eating.

The_man_from_del_monte
09-Mar-07, 21:39
I am making the point that cigarettes are well known as causing serious health problems.

Cars can run people over so maybe instead of a number plate they should fix on a "warning this may run you over and injure you" plate.... daft idea as most people know that if you step out in front of a moving car you could end up dead, same way that most sensible people know that if they eat too much junk food they will become overweight.......

Obesity is the same and junk food contributes in exactly the same way that ciggies do.

Only if you eat it excess, no one is forcing these people to cram their faces with burgers 24/7 and if these people choose to eat in that manner then it's up to them! Sticking warning labels onto burgers will not make overeaters slimmer..... period.

Why should the burger and pizza barons be immune to the sanctions imposed on the cigarette business?

Why can't some people have some self control and learn to say "no"? I think it's time people start blaming themselves for their inadequacies instead of trying to shift the blame onto everyone / everything else. Every corner you turn these days there's some whining knucklehead there blaming everyone else.... "I just fell out of that window, I'm going to sue Everest they should have stuck a warning sign on it" "that cup of coffee burnt my mouth I'm going to sue MacDonalds" "I'm going to sue that shoe shop those new shoes made my feet blister" KNUCKLEHEADS! There should be one BIG warning sign everyone has to read.......... "warning! life can be dangerous and you will eventually die.... in the meantime try to learn a bit of common sense"

If you had any knowledge on the subject, you would be aware of the power of advertising.

I have a lot of knowledge on the subject which is why I'm not 42 stone. I assume Millions like me also have an idea that just because the ad says it's so doesn't mean it is so. Again, it's all about common sense.

Humans are very open to the powers of suggestion and companies would not be spending millions of pounds in advertising if it did not bring the necessary increase in sales.

As long as the ads are not subliminal I see no reason why a person should come across a MacDonalds ad and then go down the 42 stone route. I lived and worked BANG in the centre of London for most of my life and was bombarded with ads from morning to night (I even worked with an AD agency for a while) Certain ads are appealing to the eye but please don't try to make out that (in this instance) they force people to eat burgers against their will. Not that you said that directly but I feel it was what you were trying to say.

I would class people who blindly follow advertising as perhaps vulnerable and susceptible to the power of suggestion.

Impossible to blindly follow advertising.... you gotta look at what it is they're trying to sell you. Vulnerable / susceptible is one way of putting it.... easily led / weak willed is another. Again "common sense" comes into it, if you don't have that then you're fodder for anything.

"Brainwashed Morons" is a term that does not show much depth of thought on the subject.

Maybe a bit harsh... weak willed would have been a better term.

"Greedy "

I stick by that. Anybody who eats to excess (and to the point of becomming physically ill as a result) is greedy <Wanting to eat or drink more than one can reasonably consume; gluttonous> You eat 30 hamburgers a day, you're greedy..... no point trying to blame the burger or the guy who cooks the burger.

Many people turn to food through depression, low self esteem etc. It can be comfort against the tide of imagery in the media showing stick-thin, glamourous people that we are all urged to aspire to be.

Again, blame it on somebody or something else.... no way could it possibly be the person is greedy, oh no they "must have a problem" blame it on the mother, blame it on the fast food joint, blame it on depression, blame it on thin models, blame it on adverts, blame it on......... Get a grip! get some self discipline and stop blaming everyone else.

Sadly, for most of us , that image can never be attained.

Which is why you're blaming that "image"

I can only label someone who knowingly eats to problem level as someone in need of help

Not a good idea to "label" people and certainly not a good idea to generalise. Speak from your own personal experience and don't assume everybody is exactly the same as you.

there must be a deeper, mental problem at hand and I could not be the one to label them a "fat, greedy bar steward" and tell them they were not worthy of treatment.

Sure that woman deserves treatment, I'm not saying she doesn't, but burgers certainly don't need to come with a health warning attached just because a few people have over indulged..... more a case of treat this woman and then attach a label onto her which says "do not serve me junk food" ;)

The_man_from_del_monte
09-Mar-07, 21:53
For goodness sake, stand up and take responsibility for your actions instead of blaming it on everyone and everything else.

When those in charge bring in rules folk say they are in a nanny state, if you cant accept responsibility for your own actions then that is exactly where you deserve to be.

I missed your reply changilass and you make an excellent point... it's a pity that the majority of us are having to suffer thanks to the minority of knuckleheads who "obviously" expect (and demand) to spend life wrapped up in a big ball of cotton wool with warning signs attached to everything.

Changed days, not too long ago (in the scheme of things) people were fighting for their lives in the trenches, took what they were given and were grateful for it (especially a cigarette!) now we have cry babies complaining about everything... the "me me me" culture.... pathetic!

Penelope Pitstop
09-Mar-07, 23:31
Shoot me down.........but I agree with the man from del monte.:D

The_man_from_del_monte
10-Mar-07, 00:23
Shoot me down.........but I agree with the man from del monte.:D

So do I ;)

scorrie
10-Mar-07, 00:35
Cars can run people over so maybe instead of a number plate they should fix on a "warning this may run you over and injure you" plate....

Wow, never has one post been picked apart in such detail. Sadly you start with a comparison that is so silly that I cannot take you seriously.

You can blame fat people all you want but the fact remains that my statements about junk food being peddled blatantly as something "Luvin" is a double standard when cigarettes have been driven off TV and out of Public Buildings. Fag Jockeys are cast out like lepers whilst Artery Hardening Pizza ads run cutely alongside The Simpsons. "Aw Daddy, I wanna look like Homer, get me the Coffee Table sized Pizza!!"

I don't think that "Smoking Kills" warnings on Ciggie packets will deter many Puffers but why should one danger to health be vilified whilst another is free to pass their sharn off as something wholesome?

Culture, advertising, imagery, suggestion and perception all contribute to people, who may have various problems, consuming that which is most easily available and convenient. Some people have low intelligence, some people do not have the skills to cook healthy food and a 99p special offer is tempting for anyone on a low budget.

Common sense is often in short supply but I do not accept that all obese people in the UK are simply Greedy Knuckleheads.

Oh to be back in the trenches as a 14 year old, fighting The Hun and grateful for the Kings Shilling, dying an early death in a pointless "over-the-top" suicide charge. Changed days indeed, we now ask our lads to be at least 18 before we send them to die in a phoney war.

Up the hill backwards!!

The_man_from_del_monte
10-Mar-07, 00:47
Wow, never has one post been picked apart in such detail.

You should consider yourself lucky I only nibbled ;)

Sadly you start with a comparison that is so silly that I cannot take you seriously.

Enough attention for one day, go eat another mars bar, I'm too busy being slim to sit on my butt typing long drawn out replies to you. Live a bit, get some common sense and then you may be worth arguing with knucklehead ;)

Night.

crayola
10-Mar-07, 03:55
You should consider yourself lucky I only nibbled ;)

Enough attention for one day, go eat another mars bar, I'm too busy being slim to sit on my butt typing long drawn out replies to you. Live a bit, get some common sense and then you may be worth arguing with knucklehead ;)

Night.Don't get upset tmfdm he's always like that. He must have such a sad existence that he feels he has to come on here and play the sarcastic sage as he always does. He thinks he's smart but anyone as smart as he thinks he is wouldn't bother with the likes of an old slapper like me. He would dearly love to be half the man he thinks you are.

triger
10-Mar-07, 09:19
whoa,so thats what an essex girl looks like,I"ll just
stick to the scottish ones