PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know....

Victoria
07-Mar-07, 20:48
How you set up the little icon in the web browser next to the web address like what this website has got??

Other example websites are ebay and google.

Victoria

Tugmistress
07-Mar-07, 21:15
do you mean the favicon?
if so and you want to upload to your own site you need to make your icon, then just ftp with the same file name as what is already there to the same location in httpdocs and then anyones browser will pick it up.

lassieinfife
07-Mar-07, 21:46
Can we have that in english ???????:lol:

The_man_from_del_monte
07-Mar-07, 22:05
Your image must be 16 x 16 pixels. Save the image as favicon.ico and then upload this file to the root folder of your website.

As easy as that ;)

You can also add this link in the Head section <link rel="Shortcut Icon" href="/favicon.ico"> to help the browsers that look for a direct link to your favicon in the source code. Your favicon should appear in most browsers without this link.

fred
07-Mar-07, 22:24
How you set up the little icon in the web browser next to the web address like what this website has got??

Other example websites are ebay and google.

Victoria

You need the software to make the icon, like iconforge, which costs money now. You make a 16X16 icon and save it as favicon.ico. You just put it on your website and the browsers will pick it up. Firefox will display it in the title bar for every site that has one, IE only displays the icon in the title bar if the site is bookmarked.

I usually create a 32X32 icon at the same time and save it in the same file, I don't know if it matters or not.

horseman
07-Mar-07, 23:52
Can we have that in english ???????:lol:

I thought I was the only one thinking that!!

Victoria
08-Mar-07, 00:04
Thanks guys!

Gonna look into you advice further but if I need any more help then I know who to ask now!!!

;)

blueivy
08-Mar-07, 18:44
Thanks guys!

Gonna look into you advice further but if I need any more help then I know who to ask now!!!

;)

Hi Victoria,

There was a thread on this before. If you search the forum you should find it. I';d have a read because there can be problems (particularly IE cache problems) in viewing/changing your icon for the first time - it sometimes just doesn't show up!

I noticed somebody mentioned that you need software to create it. I use this site (http://www.chami.com/html-kit/services/favicon/)to create mine.

Victoria
08-Mar-07, 22:14
thanks blueivy i'll have a look.