PDA

View Full Version : NHS Dentist in Wick

GTA395
07-Mar-07, 00:04
Can anyone tell my how to register with the NHS dentist in Wick? I think its ran by polish trainees.

cheers

Alice in Blunderland
07-Mar-07, 08:30
Try calling the dental helpline............. 0845 6442271. They are your first point of contact for getting to see an NHS dentist I believe. :)

ginajade
07-Mar-07, 10:39
I registered with NHS dentist in Oct 2004 at the same time as my work colleagues. Tried to get an appointment the other day. Was told that we are not registered. Said that we had even phoned to check that we were reg when Lochshell was built and was told then that we were. What it is seemingly is that we are on the list to be registered. Registration will only take place once we have received a letter from the Lochshell Practice and there are 100s of people waiting so was told not to expect to hear from them too soon. Was given an emergency appointment at the Bridges meantime.
By the time I am eventually accepted I doubt I will have any teeth or certainly none worth salvaging. So get on that list, to wait to be registered. It's a long queue. Good luck.

emb123
07-Mar-07, 21:15
just recently had to go to the Bridgend surgery as an NHS emergency - whew! what an experience - they seemed to take the attitude that if there is the slightest thing wrong with a tooth, if you're an NHS patient then the only solution is to extract the tooth because you're obviously too skint to deserve to have teeth.

Maybe I'm biased ?

Have been told that the only realistic chance of finding a dentist for North Sutherland is to go to Inverness!!

Maybe the government/executive might consider paying a more reasonable amount of money to dentists then a few more of them might actually be willing to do NHS work.

justine
07-Mar-07, 23:12
i found that you have to be in total pain or pregnant to get a dentist.......Keep trying you might just get lucky.......:lol: :lol:

Fran
08-Mar-07, 02:11
Remember if you have any medical conditions you can be seen by the hospital dentist, who also runs the Lochshell practice.
Emb123 how are you finding life in Bettyhill, have you settled in now, is it as good as you had hoped?

The Pepsi Challenge
08-Mar-07, 05:54
I feel sorry for anyone who needs the dentist in Caithness, or anyone else who suffers with a serious illness for that matter - 'cause you're pretty well stuffed. Seems like Dark Ages stuff to me. Wouldn't surprise me to see someone take matters into their own hands and get the pliers out. Y'all must be terrified about getting toothache.

cashingindentistsincaithness.org

emb123
08-Mar-07, 11:59
Remember if you have any medical conditions you can be seen by the hospital dentist, who also runs the Lochshell practice.
Emb123 how are you finding life in Bettyhill, have you settled in now, is it as good as you had hoped?
Will no doubt be contacting the emergency line again soon as I have another tooth which has also been giving me pain although not as terrible as the previous one.

Main thing I've found out here in Bettyhill is that the cost of everything - especially staying warm is sky high. It is a bit of a pain to have to go all the way to Thurso for shopping as it puts the price of everything up and the selection especially for non foodstuffs is very limited. I've found Lidl to be something of a God-send - but I always liked Lidl stuff anyway. I have no complaints however....

....or at least my only complaint is that the property was not ready for me to move in when I arrived - the radiators were all disconnected (and blocking the doorway), the water was switched off and the pipes drained, the decorator's pasting table and wallpaper paste bowl abd clutter was blocking the living room, all the walls were stripped bare and when I found the main power switch in the dark I turned it on and was almost deafened with the roar of a ghettoblaster turned to full volume. It was quite a shock! For a "fully furnished" place and in such a remote location I was dismayed to find there is no freezer which is somewhat beyond belief and was not best pleased to have to fork out £12 for a rubbish bin. Some of the decoration has now been done but I'm having to dance around the decorator a bit and the two bedroom are still bare walls. Still, it will be nice once it's finished and I can't wait for the summer.

Bettyhill and Sutherland are gorgeous and I'm pleased to be here at last although I will be happier still to be able to get working soon. At the moment I still have a fair bit of stuff to sort out (which I can't whilst the decorating isn't done - and sadly the chap is poorly at the moment and I sympathize with him).

Getting back online has made a huge difference to my state of mind - I don't feel disconnected from everything any more and feel much more inclined to get on and do stuff.

Anyhow, back to the topic.... :)

I think it's generally recognised that getting an NHS dentist anywhere is almost impossible now - where I came from was a huge town and even there it was all but impossible to track down an NHS dentist. It's obvious that the 'system' isn't working. Maybe this is something which should be on the agendas of some of the parties for the upcoming elections. I'm sure it would be a vote winner.

poppett
10-Mar-07, 00:10
When we lived in Edinburgh we were lucky to have an nhs dentist on the doorstep on Ferry Road, but two years ago they tried to get everyone to sign up for LiP....like denplan here. We refused to sign up, being on benefits and are still their nhs patients, combining dental treatment with my husband`s cancer clinic visits to the Western General Hospital. We are on the very long list at Lochshell, and when we do transfer then our nhs places in Leith will be taken up by paying clients. I know folk who go to the dentist whilst on holidays "home" if they even visit once a year they can stay nhs registered...The use it or loose it thingy again!

avalon
04-Apr-07, 14:33
I was told there is a 2 year waiting list . if every one that went to none NHS and paid extortionate prices stopped going and joined the NHS they would have to do something about it. £70 for a filling 10minutes work and £950 for crowns. you can get your eyes done for less.

j4bberw0ck
04-Apr-07, 15:15
if every one that went to none NHS and paid extortionate prices stopped going and joined the NHS they would have to do something about it

No "they" wouldn't. Dentists are private because the NHS contract is a shambles; it penalises them for developing their business and limits the amount of work they can do. Once their budget is gone, they have to stop work regardless of how many people are waiting for treatment.

The best thing that could happen to dentistry and health care in this country is to ditch the NHS altogether except for A&E and switch to the French system where the bulk of care costs are recovered from the State - i.e. you pay, then claim - and the balance (if any) is picked up by health insurance. The government in the UK needs to be got out of trying to run things - there isn't anything they haven't screwed up when they got in the driving seat, from medicine to nationalised industry.

girnigoe
04-Apr-07, 22:30

What medical conditions are these?