PDA

View Full Version : Job advert discrimination

Murdina Bug
15-May-14, 14:21
It's disappointing to see that some employers do not seem to understand that age discrimination is not allowed in job adverts. There are currently two on the Org which flout the Equality Act of 2010. One advert says that to work in a cafe you must be over 21, the other states that 'at least 5 years experience' must be shown. It doesn't give you much confidence in them as employers - especially when one of them is an Employment Agency....

One advert says that to work in a cafe you must be over 21, the other states that 'at least 5 years experience' must be shown. It would be interesting to see what the application forms look like as I bet there are all sorts of discriminatory questions on there as well.

From a Guidance website which sums it up:
Avoiding age discrimination
Age discrimination is a relatively new addition to the list of things to consider when writing job adverts, and it is one of the biggest changes in process that most employers will have to go through in order to comply with all discrimination regulations.

The rules now not only cover stipulating upper or lower age limits for job applicants, but also implied terms such as ‘youthful', ‘dynamic' or ‘mature'. All these terms could be seen as excluding someone from applying for a role based on their age.
Even asking for a certain level of experience from candidates could be deemed as discriminating against someone who hasn't had the opportunity to gain that experience as they are too young. There are plenty of ways of rephrasing your job advert, such as asking for candidates who have demonstrated a certain task, but putting a number of years on how long they have taken to achieve that task is definitely out of the question.

orkneycadian
15-May-14, 14:26
Does that mean you can now legally employ 13 or 16 year olds as bartenders?

mi16
15-May-14, 14:36
Even asking for a certain level of experience from candidates could be deemed as discriminating against someone who hasn't had the opportunity to gain that experience as they are too young. There are plenty of ways of rephrasing your job advert, such as asking for candidates who have demonstrated a certain task, but putting a number of years on how long they have taken to achieve that task is definitely out of the question.

what utter tosh, of course you can advertise for an expierienced staff member

Wizzbang
15-May-14, 14:43
Does that mean you can't call a " spade" a "spade" anymore?.
Having to rephrase common sense to appease some politically correct ideal.

Murdina Bug
15-May-14, 14:46
No, of course there are areas where age is applicable such as bar work. But why would you need to be 21 to work in a cafe? Similarly you can of course ask for experience in a particular task or role but asking for a certain number of years IS discriminatory as it may excludes someone younger or someone who has had a break in service.

mi16
15-May-14, 14:54
No, of course there are areas where age is applicable such as bar work. But why would you need to be 21 to work in a cafe? Similarly you can of course ask for experience in a particular task or role but asking for a certain number of years IS discriminatory as it may excludes someone younger or someone who has had a break in service.

Asking for a qualified mechanic is discriminatory in that case as it precludes all who are not mechanics.
You can ask for experience in a numeratory term.
If you are not happy report the ads to the relevant authorities.
Best hurry the offended bus is due to leave shortly!

Alrock
15-May-14, 17:46
The funny thing about all these anti-discrimination laws that the Government keeps passing is that they tend to ignore them themselves.

Murdina Bug
15-May-14, 18:32
Asking for a qualified mechanic is discriminatory in that case as it precludes all who are not mechanics.You can ask for experience in a numeratory term.If you are not happy report the ads to the relevant authorities.Best hurry the offended bus is due to leave shortly!I'm not offended but all you lot seem to be at the idea of equality or giving others a fair chance. I was only seeking to point out that there is in fact an Equality Act in place regarding job advertising which many employers seem to be ignorant about.

smithp
15-May-14, 19:09
So you challenge and change the wording of the advert so scores of 16- 20 year olds waste there time applying for a job the employer won't give them? Does seem strange though, I never knew boiling a kettle was so difficult to the teenager.

ducati
15-May-14, 19:14
You are right. They may not descriminate in the adds but any business definately does with whom they actually take on. I myself don't employ anyone......

sids
15-May-14, 20:33
Face it, Murdina: you're unemployable.

orkneycadian
15-May-14, 20:40
No, of course there are areas where age is applicable such as bar work.

Isn't that discriminatory too? Is it discriminatory for some jobs to discriminate on age but for other jobs not to discriminate on age? :confused

Murdina Bug
15-May-14, 22:27
Well, much as I love a good debate I'm bowing out as I feel it's a bit like beating your head against a wall here. I was pointing out a fact and hoping to highlight some discrimination (incidentally it's in the Equality Act, not just my personal opinion!) and instead have been told to 'get on the offended bus', that I'm 'unemployable' and talking 'utter tosh'. So...I'll be over in the corner with my spat-out dummy chanting 'sticks and stones...'.[disgust]

luskentyre
17-May-14, 01:07
Similarly you can of course ask for experience in a particular task or role but asking for a certain number of years IS discriminatory as it may excludes someone younger or someone who has had a break in service.

Rubbish. If you're advertising for a post that requires experience, of course you can ask for a certain number of years experience.

orkneycadian
20-May-14, 06:33
More HGV driving jobs for 16 years olds, I say..... No reason why 16 year olds can't be as safe as 40 year olds behind the wheel of an artic. They can, after all, be judged old enough to determine the future of Scotland....