PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed......sky tv or freeview??

Lindsay
06-Mar-07, 22:20
Hi There,

We have sky tv in our house and have had it for years. We pay roughly 50 quid a month and just recently I looked at sky in a different light. We have all the available channels but alot of them are doubles, i.e. UK Style then UK style +1, so I pay 600 quid a year for what exactly? I thought about one of these freeview boxes. Go to the shop, buy one plug it in and away you go...........no more monthly bills.
I have heard some good things about freeview but alot of bad things too............................what do you guys think?
Cheers
Lindsay

lin
06-Mar-07, 22:23
I heard we are losing all the "free" sky channels on freeview. We have already lost them on virgin cable. So if you enjoy the sky progs, keep with sky.

percy toboggan
06-Mar-07, 22:25
I could never pay fifty quid a month for telly.
Freeview here is very good. Lots of choice.
Great picture. No contest in my eyes - though I'm not a sports fan and watch movies on dvd.

mums angels
06-Mar-07, 22:28
Has to be sky for me, i couldnt cope without skyone etc ...freeveiw isn't enough for me :D (i only pay £21 a month for the movie entertainment package, would never pay anywhere near £50 a month I dont like sports )

Angela
06-Mar-07, 22:32
Great picture. No contest in my eyes - though I'm not a sports fan and watch movies on dvd.

Agree totally with percy here .

I couldn't afford to pay for extra channels on a monthly basis and I don't see the need anyway.

Freeview's been fine for me (before I had the digibox I couldn't even get channel 5) - again I'm not mad about sports and I too watch DVDs.

I can get lots of DVDs for much less than £50 a month! :lol:

footie chick
06-Mar-07, 23:20
If you keep your sky dish you get most of the channels that you get on freeview only ones I can think of that are only on freeview are sky sports news some music channels and E4.
Sky would have to pay me money to go back to them!

Alice in Blunderland
07-Mar-07, 00:00
We bought mum and dad freeview for their christmas and they are over the moon with it. Their sky dish went bust last year and they decided not to bother replacing it as they thought it wasnt worth the money. They have plenty of choice from freeview and no monthly bill I am thinking of having this in the new house instead of an ugly dish on the wall.................meanwhile cheapskate that I am Im watching sky at Weeboyagees for free just now :cool:

Piglet
07-Mar-07, 00:10
If u don't want to waste the money with sky anymore just remove the card & that is about the same as u get with freeview. You could just cancel ur dd & cancel Sky but you will still get your free channels.

EDDIE
07-Mar-07, 00:12
Well i have freeview and im quite happy with it i wouldnt pay £50 a month for sky thats a bit much for tv viewing if there is nothing on tv i just watch a dvd or going hire one but thats just me.
I mind in the old days it was just bb1,bbc2 and grampian and remember when channel 4 came on the go then channel 5 and now there is as many channels now its hard to keep a track of whats on.
The only pain with freeview at the moment is you must have good reception?

the charlatans
07-Mar-07, 00:17
We had Sky, got rid when we moved back up here.

We now have a Freeview box.(i hate it) its the second one and its takes freaky moments when i can't get any ITV or Channel 4 programmes for days on end and squeaks at me.

If you like your telly and you watch the Sky channels, try going for Sky Freeview, the Sky call centre will do anything to keep you as a customer, it took us about 40 minutes to cancel our subscription, and then we had problems getting money back from them.

If you don't like your telly then get a Freeview box.

or turn it off completely and spend all your time on here!

The_man_from_del_monte
07-Mar-07, 00:17
I seldom watch TV but when I do prefer a crystal clear picture, unfortunately freeview doesn't work along here so the only other alternative is a dish. I certainly won't be paying a monthly subscription though.... TV licence fee is bad enough, I refuse to pay an additional £15 a month for a wider selection of garbage.

JimH
07-Mar-07, 00:18
Being an ardent watcher of the main sports - Rugby, Football, Cricket, it is a no contest. Sky has it.
Freeview just does not have the coverage. and the reception is far superior than anything else we have.

badger
07-Mar-07, 00:34
Depends what you watch and how much but I opted for Freeview when it first came out and have never regretted it. There are far more channels now than there were then and I wouldn't want more - don't have time. You do need to check you can get Freeview and you might need a new aerial - I did. Apart from that I have the same box that I bought then and it's fine. You just download new channels occasionally - or re-do completely when they decide to change all the numbers, which is a pain. You can buy them now with a hard drive so can record easily, just like Sky.

Cattach
07-Mar-07, 08:42

I have both. No competition Sky best for choice and much better for picture quality. May be my area as far as Freeview concerned by Sky seems to be great quality everywhere assuming you have dish properly aligned.

I pay £35 and I have the sports chanels and I have Sky plus so the deal is good.