PDA

View Full Version : Political Correctness

nikki
05-Apr-05, 23:43
is it just me or has Britain gone political-correctness mad. There is news that parlament want 2 change the names of places in Scotland that are racist or sexist.

e.g Motherwell = Parentwell
Black Isle = Dubh Isle
Fort William = Fort Nevis

They would also have 2 change Blackburn, Helensburgh, Peterhead, Lewis and Fraserburgh, and many more.

Drutt
06-Apr-05, 01:26
I'm afraid you're a bit late - April Fool's Day was a few days ago.

~~Tides~~
06-Apr-05, 14:28
It wouldnt surprise me though if some EU directive wanted that. With their straighter bannanas and all. [disgust]

katarina
06-Apr-05, 20:05
If they can re-direct the A9 for no good reason whatsoever, they can do anything

Rheghead
07-Apr-05, 11:16
One name change that should be applauded was changing Coon Butte Crater in Arizona to Barringer Crater. :D

katarina
07-Apr-05, 13:49
Next they'll be changing names because of rhyming slang. Well, that's Wick off the map for a start.

Zael
07-Apr-05, 15:00
One name change that should be applauded was changing Coon Butte Crater in Arizona to Barringer Crater.
Why? This had nothing to do with political correctness, it was to do with the fact that Barringer correctly worked out what it was.

George Brims
07-Apr-05, 16:25
They can call it after Barringer if they want, but 99% of the references to it on maps, in tourist brochures, or astronomy books call it "Meteor Crater".