PDA

View Full Version : Wood Burners

retrodj
05-May-14, 13:41
Hiya,

I am looking for some advice and information re wood burners. Being in an all electric property, I am contemplating getting a wood burner. Anyone in the know have any ideas of cost? Who do you go to to check that the chimney is ok to be used and if not, get it ready, and install a wood burner?

Are wood burners more economical, efficient than run of the mill electric storage heaters? I am guessing eventually the initial outlay will be expensive, but in the longer term, will be more beneficial. Especially in the winter.

Any advice much appreciated, especially from people who already have one.

Rheghead
05-May-14, 16:51
I have had one for the last 11 years and the good days when a really cheap heated home are over as too many folk are getting in on it. Demand goes up, the price goes up. However, if you have access to a wood and you are fit enough to saw, chop, transport and stack wood yourself or got a willing volunteer to do it for you then it is worthwhile. It is not a real option if you are old or infirm, lugging wood around takes some doing. So think of the future.

r.rackstraw
05-May-14, 21:47
Heat Centre at Wick will be able to advise on suitability of chimney - it will probably need a liner - and they do installations and stock stoves.
I run a woodstove and a woodfired range and buy logs from Dunnet Forest. I reckon it is economical providing you are willing to split logs and have space to store a supply.

susie
06-May-14, 08:33
Chimney liners and good stoves are reasonable in terms of cost and have a long life. I do not know how much a firm would charge, we are lucky in being able to do these sort of jobs ourselves. The wood supply side of things does indeed need careful consideration. The previous replies are true and accurate. I would add that wood burning stoves create more dust than you may imagine, even if you are lucky not to have smoke come out of the door when you put a log in they still collect a fine grey dust. If you have dogs that shed all the time or live in a tip, as I do, then you maybe won't mind. If, on the other hand, you are houseproud........stick with electric.
I have 2 stoves and enjoy them enormously. You can stoke up in winter and get all cosy, it is great. I have no idea about the cost of wood, we burn whins. When I am older I will have to change or freeze to death.
It is worth remembering that you need lots of storage room for your wood. You are best planning to have a year's supply in advance and another lot being chopped, dried out etc, all this in addition to the lot you will be using at the moment.
Keep asking for people's opinions, better to wait a bit than regret it later on.
Good luck.

If I can help further, please feel free to PM me.

essex boy
06-May-14, 18:42
As the owner of Quintfall Forest Products (Eco heat) I can tell you that our logs cost £32.50 for a cut/split M3 bag full, cut to the size YOU want. As for the amount you use that all depends on stove size and of cause how long it is alight for. We have customers that buy just two bags a year but others take two a month. Make sure you get a good make, cheap stoves are cheap for a reason, good modern stoves use less fuel and kick out more heat. As has already been said, James at the heat centre or Derek at Forss engineering would be a good start.

TrulyRural
08-May-14, 12:20
Retrodj, it also depends on a number of factors including the size of your house and whether you want to run the stove along with radiators and a water system. Also why not look at a multi fuel burner that will enable you to burn wood, coal and peat? Charnwood.com (based on the Isle of Wight) are a good company.(lots of spares) Also there are a good range of second hand ones on Ebay that are worth looking at. Good luck with your endeavours.