PDA

View Full Version : new hips for old

percy toboggan
05-Mar-07, 21:51
hello,I'm only fifty odd but I need two of these things. I'm told today I need them now but I'm trying to stave off the inevitable for a while yet. 1% of people having hips replaced don't leave hospital alive and the way my luck is going at the mo. I don't want to push it.
Has anyone had these ? I've been offered deluxe Cobalt Chromium ones - dunno whether to laugh or cry :confused

justine
05-Mar-07, 22:04
Have not had one , but i wish you best of luck and hope that things go well for you.....Will think of you.....and all thekids are sending prayers aswell, although they are too young to know that yet.

danc1ngwitch
05-Mar-07, 22:07
Oh percy, i am sorry to hear of ur sad and worring new's.
You'll be just fine all the best xxx

grumpyhippo
05-Mar-07, 22:10
I've been offered deluxe Cobalt Chromium ones -
Insist on ones with the go faster stripes!!!:lol: :lol:

Angela
05-Mar-07, 22:19
Percy, you must be feeling upset and worried....but try not to be too anxious.

Everyone I know who's had hip replacements (quite a lot of people of varying ages) has felt much the better for it.

The 1% of people you're referring to will not be people like you I'm sure - there will be many much older people, perhaps in generally poor health, and often requiring a replacement after a fracture or similar accident.

Easy for me to say I know, but better to have it done sooner rather than later.

Let us know how you get on...and the very best of luck!

sweetpea
05-Mar-07, 22:21
PMA mate! Why shouldn't you be in other 99%. Sometimes you hear people say I've had a new lease of life! If you think of only a good outcome I'm sure you will get one. Good luck.

Scunner
05-Mar-07, 22:34
haven't had a new hip, but have a new knee and its brilliant. No pain now.

fred
05-Mar-07, 23:03
haven't had a new hip, but have a new knee and its brilliant. No pain now.

The NHS are starting using knees from monkeys for transplants to save money.

You can get two ape knees for a penny.

johno
05-Mar-07, 23:11
hello,I'm only fifty odd but I need two of these things. I'm told today I need them now but I'm trying to stave off the inevitable for a while yet. 1% of people having hips replaced don't leave hospital alive and the way my luck is going at the mo. I don't want to push it.
Has anyone had these ? I've been offered deluxe Cobalt Chromium ones - dunno whether to laugh or cry :confused
aw Percy you,ll be ok my neighbour has had both hip joints done [he is in his 70,s] and he never stops do,es gardens all over the town ,he,s like a human dynamo
:Razz

connieb19
05-Mar-07, 23:20
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e77/beepbeepitsme/dance_monkey_dance.gif

htwood
05-Mar-07, 23:51
The sooner the better. Get going on it.

The longer you "stave off the inevitable", the worse condition your current hip joints will be in. That means further damage to supporting tendons and muscles. Plan on being in the other 99% who are grateful they got over whatever fears they have. Talk to your doc about what's keeping you from making the decision. Surely if the doctor says now, he means NOW. Best of luck to you.

justine
06-Mar-07, 00:04
nice one fred...That really made my day.....cheered me up no end.......mum of 8

JAWS
06-Mar-07, 02:05
http://www.jr2.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/band103/b103-2.html#Heading3
Percy, take a look at the above site. I think you will find that deaths as a result of the operation is now 0.2% or 1 in 500 and not 1%.

When you take into account that a large number of people having the operation are in their 80s I would think that at your age the chance of not surviving the operation are very slight indeed. I suspect you would be more likely to be struck by a meteorite.

sassylass
06-Mar-07, 03:22

That's the funniest thing I've heard all week [lol]

zappster
06-Mar-07, 08:07
I know 3 people (1 being my uncle) that have had BOTH hips replaced & all were given a new lease of life from the operation ..Yes there was a fair bit of pain to start with but afterwards the benefits were great

Penelope Pitstop
06-Mar-07, 11:11
As has been posted already, most of the folk that have hip replacements, etc are alot older than you. You are way younger than the majority of them - youth is on your side:lol: ....very important point.

The sooner you get it done the sooner you can start reaping the benefits. You'll be running about like a 20 year old again!

I had to have a general anaesthetic just over a year ago and I was really worried about it - same as you, that I wouldn't come out of it - but it was a really lovely peaceful sleep and I woke up very content and relaxed after it. Sounds silly, but that's how it was.

Good luck.

captain chaos
06-Mar-07, 11:29
Percy

My father has over the years had three hip replacements!!

After struggling along for years with severe pain he was like an "0ld" spring chicken after the second replacement operation.
So much so he actually wore out the first joint and had to have another replacement.....

He always says that the most important part of the operation is the Physio afterwards. No matter if you feel crap keep going with the exercises they give you.

Even at home he still does the exercises many years on. And at 75 still climbs ladders etc.

He has had nothing but praise for the surgeons, nurses and physios in Inverness on each occasion

pat
06-Mar-07, 12:14
you will wonder why you were worried about it but onlyafter you have had it done and got a new lease of life, running around doing all the things you had given up because you were in pain. Please get it done for your family if not for yourself, you are young with the rest of your life ahead so start living it, do not put it off - risks get worse as you get older!.

percy toboggan
06-Mar-07, 19:00
I'd like to thank all of you for your positive messages. I've almost decided to go back in six months and get on the waiting list. There is much common sense being talked here.

Almost time to grasp the nettle.

Okay so my miserly employer doesn't pay sick. I've got no debts save the mortgage and as I've been paying exorbitant 'payment protection' insurance for twenty years it's high time I claimed.

THANKS ALL.

sam
06-Mar-07, 20:36
I've been offered deluxe Cobalt Chromium ones - dunno whether to laugh or cry :confused

lol it sounds like you could be the next bionic man;)

seriously though, i know an elderly lady who has had both her hips done and it is like she was given a new lease of life.
so whatever you decide to do, i wish you all the best

Max
07-Mar-07, 19:18
I like the sound of this cobalt chronium with go fas stripes - six million dollar man right enough! All the best (will they set the metal detector off at customs? - he he - only kidding)

Scunner
07-Mar-07, 23:24
The new knee did set off the alarms at Glasgow Airport, but surprise surprise, no bleeps in America. So much for their security systems

Dusty
09-Mar-07, 20:29
Get yourself on that waiting list and get your hips sorted so that you can experience the best possible quality of life and no doubt we will see you on the news at the London Marathon or something similar.
It sounds as if we are of a similar age and I'm glad I don't have to decide between the choices you have.
I hope that all goes well whatever your decision is and I have a feeling that you will make the correct one.

All the very best,

Dusty.

Whitewater
09-Mar-07, 23:51
Have to agree with dusty, get yourself on that waiting list. I have not had a replacement myself as yet but I don't think it will be too far away.

I know many people who have had the operation, and the advice from them all is " the sooner the better" so just go for it Percy and good luck.

Nibbler
01-Apr-07, 14:27
Hi Percy

Just joined the org and remembered this thread and decided today to find it again and pop in a quick reply. Not sure if you will still be checking it but hope you do.

I had a new hip in May 2002 when I was 29. Yip, reasonably young for it but my own one was knackered. I dare say, working with the horses didn't really help much, but ...............

I was lucky enough to get a doctor/surgeon who was happy doing this operation with my age. I was in Raigmore on the Wednesday, operated on during the Thursday and out on the Monday (don't like hospitals) but it has been the best thing I have done.

The first month I would say is the worst with a three month recovery period. At the time I got my hip done, I was working full time in a bar and went back after the three months.

I really recommend this and hope you have put your name on the waiting list. I have been pain free since - after several years of pain, I had forgotten what it was like!! I will be probably be due back in for my new one to be replaced in my mid forties.

Best of luck to you Percy :)

percy toboggan
01-Apr-07, 16:02
Hi Percy

Just joined the org and remembered this thread and decided today to find it again and pop in a quick reply. Not sure if you will still be checking it but hope you do.

I had a new hip in May 2002 when I was 29. Yip, reasonably young for it but my own one was knackered. I dare say, working with the horses didn't really help much, but ...............

Best of luck to you Percy :)
Hi..first welcome to the org. (if I'm allowed to welcome thee) and thanks for re-visiting this thread. I'm still pondering but posts like yours help. Thing is , just how bad were you before you had it done? I'm thinking at 29 you were very, very young to be afflicted with such misery. I couldn't mount a horse for any money :) at the moment. Though I'm still working because the job is fairly easy to do and the money is pretty good too. This weekend I've painted my mutha-in-laws front room and all the bending has left me aching and looking like I couldn't stop a pig in a ginnel. I'm on me third piny of speckled hen now and a hot bath will help. Tomorrow though I'll be back in the cab and carrying on. I am a stoical soul. Did you have a conventional replacement or a re-surface job?

I think the Chinese might scupper me job within two years anyway which will tip the balance towards getting 'em done.

I think I've gotten used to feeling uncomfortable, but there is no doubt it colours my moods.

Your thoughts were helpful and positive. Thanks a lot. Sorry to bore anyone else who stops by this thread.

Margaret M.
02-Apr-07, 03:29
Like most of the others posting, Percy, the only regret I hear from the folks I know who have had hip replacements is not having it done sooner. Good luck with yours.

Nibbler
02-Apr-07, 20:00
Hi Percy

I got the full works - new socket and ball. I had problems when I was young and it just stemmed from there. As you mentioned in your post, I also dont want to bore anyone but I am also not sure how to let you know to contact me without posting if you want more info from someone who has been there, and got the t-shirt!! (Will try and work something out.)

Being in pain had become a part of life - that and the painkillers to help take the edge off it. It really was the best thing. No more painkillers, and even better, no more pain.

I guess, being the age I was, I didnt really think about the 'if' side of it. Never entered my mind.

Let me know if you do want more info.

P.S. Thanks for e welcome :)

tisme
03-Apr-07, 12:23

I actually laughed out loud at this, and that doesn't happen a lot on this site these days. Well done Fred.

dozerboy
03-Apr-07, 13:04
http://www.jr2.ox.ac.uk/bandolier/band103/b103-2.html#Heading3
Percy, take a look at the above site. I think you will find that deaths as a result of the operation is now 0.2% or 1 in 500 and not 1%.

When you take into account that a large number of people having the operation are in their 80s I would think that at your age the chance of not surviving the operation are very slight indeed. I suspect you would be more likely to be struck by a meteorite.

Are meteorites on the NHS menus now too? Probably more tasty than the usual crap!!

suki
03-Apr-07, 15:15
I had replacement hip done in 2002 as a result of congenital hip dislocation.
And I was only 43 years old. But many days I felt more like 93 because of the pain and stiffness.

It was the best decision I ever made. I got my life back, added to my degree with a professional qualification, and am now working full time in a job with a realistic salary.

It's not the sort of thing I'd like to go through on a regular basis, but the surgeons at Raigmore were fantastic, as was the after care.

Due for my five yr check in July.

Good luck. And practise sitting still in an upright chair right now!:lol:

percy toboggan
03-Apr-07, 17:13
I had replacement hip done in 2002 as a result of congenital hip dislocation.
And I was only 43 years old. But many days I felt more like 93 because of the pain and stiffness.

It was the best decision I ever made. I got my life back, added to my degree with a professional qualification, and am now working full time in a job with a realistic salary.

It's not the sort of thing I'd like to go through on a regular basis, but the surgeons at Raigmore were fantastic, as was the after care.

Due for my five yr check in July.

Good luck. And practice sitting still in an upright chair right now!:lol:

Thanks for the input Suki. The stiffness is certainly one of the worst aspects. Good luck with your five year check.

Everyone who has responded - thanks a lot. Again :D

cuddlepop
03-Apr-07, 17:21
Best of luck Percy with your hip replacements.The old boy round the corner from us had his done last year and tells me he wishes he done it years ago.
Positive mental attitude , some TLC and you'll be loving your new "go faster stripes":lol:

Fran
04-Apr-07, 00:57
Poor Percy, Ifeel so sad for you worrying about going into hospital, but i know how you feel. dont wait 6 months, get on the list NOW. you will be like a new maN, a bionic one at that!! I have met so many people who have had it done, small scars nowadays, and they feel great and look great. some could hardly walk, had the op, a couple of weeks on sticks and now they are running about with no pain. i would recommend it, it is such a common op nowadays. Good luck.