PDA

View Full Version : e-mail prob (sending)

oldchemist
05-Mar-07, 20:46
Hi

I am having problems sending Word attachments using Outlook Express. Not total failure, but about 75% of messages don't get through. I have switched from HTML to plain text, tried sending as attachment and as a file. ISP is Tiscali, PC is a Dell Dimension 5150. Any suggestions?

:confused

blueivy
07-Mar-07, 12:16
Hi

I am having problems sending Word attachments using Outlook Express. Not total failure, but about 75% of messages don't get through. I have switched from HTML to plain text, tried sending as attachment and as a file. ISP is Tiscali, PC is a Dell Dimension 5150. Any suggestions?

:confused

Hi oldchemist,

When you say that 75% of them don't get through, do you mean your whole message doesn't get through or that simply the attachment doesn't get through but the 'message' does? Is it the same people it doesn't get too or is it different every time?

Which email service do you use (if it's your ISP's who are they)?

You also mentioned that you have tried to send it as an attachment and as a file ... what do you mean 'as a file'?

oldchemist
07-Mar-07, 15:53
Thanks for the response. The problem so far has been with only one recipient. The whole message fails to get through. I am using Outlook Express provided by Tiscali.

I may be using incorrect terminology when I say I tried to send as an attachment and as a file - in a Word document there are the options "send to mail recipient" and "send to mail recipient (as attachment)". I have tried both options as well as "insert file attachment" to a new message in Outlook Express.

blueivy
07-Mar-07, 16:08
Hi oldchemist,

If you are sending messages to several different people and the same person consistently doesn't receive it then the problem most likely outside of your PC.

You should check that you are definitely sending it to the correct address. I know this sounds a little obvious, but with most Hotmail, Yahoo and Google address not having the persons name in the address but instead letters and numbers (like paul87676@...) then that can cause problems. Is the person you are sending it to at an office or home address?

Outside of that the problem could be the recipients mail server not permitting the attachment. This could be down to the size of your attachment or it's content. It could be down to your domain/address being blacklisted. What size is it and is it passworded?

Spam filters are also an obvious one. Perhaps it's being caught by their spam filter on their machine, being caught by the spam filter at your ISP or even their ISP (or anywhere in between although that's doubtful).

If they fail to recieve any of your email, and the email address you are sending to is correct then the spam filter is most likely.

As a further question, do you have up to date antivirus software on your machine?

These are all possible scenarios - some more likely than others.

oldchemist
07-Mar-07, 21:20
Thanks again. The intended recipient is at an office address - I think they have a local network. I have tried sending the file (which is only one or two A4 pages of text, not passworded) attached to a reply to an e-mail from them so I am sure the address is OK. I do have up to date (McAfee) anti-virus on my PC. I'll ask them if they are willing to disable or adjust their spam filter for a trial period.

blueivy
08-Mar-07, 18:42
Thanks again. The intended recipient is at an office address - I think they have a local network. I have tried sending the file (which is only one or two A4 pages of text, not passworded) attached to a reply to an e-mail from them so I am sure the address is OK. I do have up to date (McAfee) anti-virus on my PC. I'll ask them if they are willing to disable or adjust their spam filter for a trial period.

Hi oldchemist,

So it's not the size of the attachment. It's not the contents (as it's not passworded it can be scanned). You have up to date antivirus software so it's not (or unlikely) detecting a virus so it's not ditching it because of that.

My bet is it's their spam filter either at their server (if they use one at their office) or their PC spam filter.

Ask them to whitelist your address (whitelisting is the opposite of blacklisting) in either their server (or ask them to ask their systems admin to do it) or on their own PC. They only need to do that, as you said, for a trial period. If your email then get's through you've nailed the culprit.

oldchemist
08-Mar-07, 21:15
Thanks - I'll see if they will whitelist me. I had a similar problem with receiving e-mail with attachments when I first got this PC. I eventually created a "friends" mailing list, which sounds like what you call whitelisting.

blueivy
09-Mar-07, 16:49
Thanks - I'll see if they will whitelist me. I had a similar problem with receiving e-mail with attachments when I first got this PC. I eventually created a "friends" mailing list, which sounds like what you call whitelisting.

Hi oldchemist,

An antispam package called iHateSpam has the exact same thing - a friends (whitelist) and an enemies (blacklist) list. It's just an easier way of describing what each of them does!