PDA

View Full Version : why dot he young ones always get blamed?

justine
05-Mar-07, 11:57
:confused I have often wondered why the younger generation always get blamed for littering up the streets.I have always found that the older ones are always complaining about the mess in the streets, well lets just say that i sat in my front room this morning and just happened to glance out the window.I was watching the older neighbour across the street, she was picking up all the litter that had been blown into her garden.....What supprised me more was what she did with the rubbish.She walked out into the street and threw the rubbish into the road.I could not believe this from someone who moans about the mess on the street...What is it one rule for the oldies and one for the rest of the world............Would it have ot been easier to put it in her bin on the way out...........:lol:

davem
05-Mar-07, 12:21
Hi
I posted this before but it's worth telling again. I was on holiday by the beach walking behind a young lad who'd just bought an ice lolly. He dropped the paper to the ground and when I told him he'd dropped it he said that was OK because he didn't need it anymore. Logic of youth eh! - I did explain but it made me chuckle.

MadPict
05-Mar-07, 13:06
Key sentence here - "she was picking up all the litter that had been blown into her garden....."

Just as if you lop branches off a neighbours tree which is overhanging your garden you throw said cuttings back over the fence, this lady obviously works on the similar principle - it blew into my garden from outside so I will return it whence it came....

Maybe she knew the street sweeper was round the corner?

But yes, adults are just as much to blame as kids. I have seen kids put their rubbish in bins without any coercion from an adult - I have seen adults throw rubbish from vehicles.

A little respect for the environment needs to be taught by parents. OK, lets rethink that statement, a little respect for the environment needs to be taught to parents by their children, for they are the ones who will have to live with the things their parents have done to the planet....

If the soft drinks companies reintroduced the old 'penny back on a bottle' for the cans and plastic bottles they package their drinks in, then perhaps towns and countryside would not be littered with this waste. Kids (if they truly are the main culprits) would have an incentive to maybe even pick up litter if they might make a few bob on the trash?

I manage to get by without ever dropping litter. If I drop a bit of paper from my pocket by accident I'll actually pick it up. Crazy eh? I take it home with me if I can't find a bin. But then, I have a little respect for my environment, instilled in me by my parents....

Valerie Campbell
05-Mar-07, 13:33
I totally agree with you MadPict.

Rheghead
05-Mar-07, 13:55
I've always thought that oldies were more responsible for the littering than youngies. Youngies are more environmentally aware than oldies.

emszxr
05-Mar-07, 13:55
yes, its not just the kids that throw rubbish away. what about all the adults who throw their cigarette ends on the ground, it is totally disgusting.
i always take my litter home, even if i have to put it in my pocket til i reach a bin, and i dont let my 2 year old drop paper and rubbish either, she gives it to me. she knows even at only 2 that it is wrong to drop rubbish. so in some situations it isnt the kids to blame but the parents that dont teach their kids respect and manners.

Cattach
05-Mar-07, 14:42
Key sentence here - "she was picking up all the litter that had been blown into her garden....."

Just as if you lop branches off a neighbours tree which is overhanging your garden you throw said cuttings back over the fence, this lady obviously works on the similar principle - it blew into my garden from outside so I will return it whence it came....

Certainly not always youngsters to blame for litter. Seen many instances of the mature and more mature, in age that is, dropping litter.

Regarding tree lopping - You are at liberty to cut overhanging branches but actually should put them back over the wall - a difficult neighbour can actually report you if you do not but most are pleased they do not have the responsibility of getting rid of branches.

justine
05-Mar-07, 14:56
i agree with you on your morals. I do not allow my kids to throw rubbish out side, and infact i think that the little bleeders now bring it all home and drop it in the house.....But there is no need to litter the streets. between the rubbish and the dog crap, i have started to walk head down to see where i am walking....

Cattach
05-Mar-07, 18:43
i agree with you on your morals. I do not allow my kids to throw rubbish out side, and infact i think that the little bleeders now bring it all home and drop it in the house.....But there is no need to litter the streets. between the rubbish and the dog crap, i have started to walk head down to see where i am walking....

I totally agree with you regarding walking head down to watch for the dog crap. It is terrible and adults to blame!! - not for the actual crap but either letting dogs out to do it or not clearing when walking them.

Also w see adults all the time tossing their cig ends on the street or out of cars - that is litter too.

Kaishowing
05-Mar-07, 19:17
...Just as if you lop branches off a neighbours tree which is overhanging your garden you throw said cuttings back over the fence....

Sorry, but I wouldn't do that. If anyone did that to me I would regard it as petty childishnes, and I'd compound the childishness by holding a grudge about it!

MadPict
05-Mar-07, 20:06
I used the word "throw" loosely - don't take me so seriously.......:roll:

colmac
05-Mar-07, 20:25
If the soft drinks companies reintroduced the old 'penny back on a bottle' for the cans and plastic bottles they package their drinks in, then perhaps towns and countryside would not be littered with this waste. Kids (if they truly are the main culprits) would have an incentive to maybe even pick up litter if they might make a few bob on the trash?

It would have to be much more than a penny these days. Kids now don't rate small change at all! If you walk through the high school at night there is small change scattered throughout.

Kaishowing
05-Mar-07, 21:20
I used the word "throw" loosely - don't take me so seriously.......:roll:

Sorry, but it's tough to see who's got a girly throw when having to rely on nothing but text!!

...And I very seldom take anything here 100% seriously.:lol:

justine
05-Mar-07, 21:31
well i have read all the threads so far and i must agree with you all....But i do think it is now down to the youngies to start teaching the oldies a thing or to.......oh and if any lobbed their branches over my wall they would get them back..... and as to the dumping of ashtrays from cars,,,Go to tescos and get a bag for life.see how long it takes to fill and you might get reward points for it too.....:cool: :lol:

noodle
05-Mar-07, 22:14

It does seem a shame that, after clearing her garden of litter that had blown from the street, and then putting it back on the street, it will probably blow back in her garden again...

ŠAmethyst
06-Mar-07, 11:04
When I was younger I went through a rebelling stage (as I'm sure most would have, too). Sounds silly but I feel bad for dropping litter. I've now seen me on the half hour bus journey from Inverness to my home holding litter until I get in the door. I feel as if I'm trying to make up for the litter I dropped.

As for the environment, sometimes we only need to put our bin out every two or sometimes three weeks 'cause we recycle anything we can. I wish my grandparents recycled as much as we do!

garycs
06-Mar-07, 11:54
I visited Interlaken, Switzerland last summer on business, it was absolutely spotless with not a single piece of litter anywhere. The reasons seems to be that there are no litter bins on the streets so folk have to get into the habit of taking their litter home; and there was a litter warden who not only picked up any tiny scraps they found, they also have to power to fine you on the spot.

darkman
06-Mar-07, 14:48
I may be mistaken but whilst in inverness waiting for the bus south I couldn't find a bin, I walked past the train station and up the street but no bin in site.
Have you noticed in wick and no doubt other places you don't see empty juice cans lying on the ground, they seem to always end up in a windowsill, strange.:lol:

Victoria
06-Mar-07, 15:41
I was watching 'Loose Women' on ITV yesterday lunch time and they were talking about litter bugs.

One of the women on there said that when she was living in Singapore if anyone was caught dropping litter then then were forced to take the week of work and go litter picking with a jacket with 'litter bug' written on the back - genius idea!!!

I hate litterbugs and if I see someone dropping something then I always challenge them about it and I've seen old people and young people do it.

Usually when its a young person (my age 25 thereabouts or younger) and you challenge them then they get very embarrassed and take the rubbish back but when I've challenged older people they seem to really have a go at me back!!! unbeliveable!

ŠAmethyst
06-Mar-07, 17:09
I may be mistaken but whilst in inverness waiting for the bus south I couldn't find a bin

I'm often in the Inverness bus station as that's where I get my bus to and from town, on at least every second stance there's a bin - and there's bins outside the bus station building.

One of the women on there said that when she was living in Singapore if anyone was caught dropping litter then then were forced to take the week of work and go litter picking with a jacket with 'litter bug' written on the back - genius idea!!!

This is a grand idea, but I've a couple of friends in S'pore... they tell me that usually it's a very hefty fine that's given out over there.

Raonaid
07-Mar-07, 11:22
I think young people are terrible litter droppers, just have a look inside and around Thurso High School, or Wick High School after break and lunchtime, what a mess.