PDA

View Full Version : Traffic lights

buddyrich
28-Apr-14, 01:50
Does anyone else think the traffic at the town square in Thurso is running more smoothly now the traffic lights are out of action?

susie
28-Apr-14, 05:16
Definitely. I couldn't agree more.

sids
28-Apr-14, 06:41
It always does, any time the lights are off.

samanthaflax02
28-Apr-14, 09:38
I dont agree, traffic lights cant be out of action.

Big Gaz
28-Apr-14, 11:26
I dont agree, traffic lights cant be out of action.

Why not? if they have a fault then the whole system can go down or if there is maintenance work or other work in the road that affects the flow of traffic or routine of the lights, it is often better to just switch them off and either put temporary lights up, a diversion or in the case of Thurso, just leave motorists to their own fate.

buddyrich
28-Apr-14, 12:28
The traffic is flowing quicker, people are more careful and generally more courteous I find. Leave them off!

mi16
28-Apr-14, 12:54
will that still be the case come kicking out time at Dounreay and Vulcan?

poppett
28-Apr-14, 13:15
It was going well this morning, apart from a boy racer, old enough to know better who was going faster than he should and didn`t look about him at all.

CyprusPluto
28-Apr-14, 16:29
Not been in this part of the world too long and it's the first time I've come across the lights being off. The last time I was waiting there I could've read a book, but this time, through in seconds. Much better, please leave them off.

gingernut
28-Apr-14, 22:16
I agree! I went through them twice today and didn't have to wait at all. No queues waiting at any of the 4 lights either.

Dadie
28-Apr-14, 23:21
I sat and waited for ages...everyone else was going any direction...waited until safe to go!...Was going straight ahead from post office lights to the precinct rather than left past Durrands ..school kicking out time though...hate to think about Dounreay and Vulcan traffic when trying to go straight on from that junction!

Tangerine-Dream
29-Apr-14, 21:14
Just "why" are there traffic lights there in the first place? It's not exactly Piccadilly Circus is it? Any knucklehead that crashes into someone at that "junction" with the lights turned off should be banned from driving..... it was friggin' great powering through the bend at 90 mph this afternoon ;)

Tangerine-Dream
29-Apr-14, 21:52
will that still be the case come kicking out time at Dounreay and Vulcan?

Ah..... what to do when the Dounreay massive (yellow coats) are coming home from work? Break down in the middle of the junction and stay broken down for a good 6 hours..... it may give them a taste of their own medicine.... damned uncourteous bunch of "nuclears"... all they are concerned about is getting home from the dome and they have no regard for town dwelling vehicles who want to cross the road, or turn right. There should be a traffic light system at DOUNREAY which only allows ten cars out per 10 minutes!

If it wasn't for these inconsiderate yellow coats who swarm into town en masse (with scant regard for other town dwelling road users) there would be no need for traffic lights or pedestrian crossings. It took me SEVEN minutes to turn right the other day.... not one of these Hi-Vis automatons had the decency to flash me into the free lane......

I'm not complaining because it's great being able to drive "west" in the hi res rush hour with a smile on my face ;) thousands of hi res "glowing" cars in the right lane and only me in the left lane.... free from the Hi Res dome life.

You know what I'm talking about so get pro-active. Campaign for traffic lights at Dounreay..... ten cars per 2 minute filter "outward" [evil]

You know it makes sense ;)

r.rackstraw
29-Apr-14, 21:53
I mind when the lights were installed - late 1960s I think - they were not welcomed by everybody.
There was a protest gathering and a piper played the army tune 'Lights Out'!
Whenever a funeral courtege took place the police used to switch the lights off, stop the other traffic and wave the courtege through, which was a nice mark of respect. Does that still happen?

Tangerine-Dream
29-Apr-14, 22:04
I blame Westminster for the Thurso rush hour carnage ;)

Tangerine-Dream
29-Apr-14, 22:11
There was a protest gathering and a piper played the army tune 'Lights Out'!

Radical! almost as popular as John Lennon's bed in......... Man, Thurso (in the 60's) must have been a really happening place....... A piper playing "lights out"..... wow, I'm tripping at the mere thought of that gig ;)

Tangerine-Dream
29-Apr-14, 22:23
I
Whenever a funeral courtege took place the police used to switch the lights off, stop the other traffic and wave the courtege through, which was a nice mark of respect. Does that still happen?

I hope not.... that would delay the flow of traffic to Tesco.

mi16
29-Apr-14, 22:25
Drinking on a school night tangerine dream?Tut tut

sids
29-Apr-14, 22:26
Funerals and all that: I believe you have to pay to get the lights switched in favour of the cortege.

sids
29-Apr-14, 22:31
Ah..... what to do when the Dounreay massive (yellow coats) are coming home from work? Break down in the middle of the junction and stay broken down for a good 6 hours..... it may give them a taste of their own medicine.... damned uncourteous bunch of "nuclears"... all they are concerned about is getting home from the dome and they have no regard for town dwelling vehicles who want to cross the road, or turn right. There should be a traffic light system at DOUNREAY which only allows ten cars out per 10 minutes!

If it wasn't for these inconsiderate yellow coats who swarm into town en masse (with scant regard for other town dwelling road users) there would be no need for traffic lights or pedestrian crossings. It took me SEVEN minutes to turn right the other day.... not one of these Hi-Vis automatons had the decency to flash me into the free lane......

I'm not complaining because it's great being able to drive "west" in the hi res rush hour with a smile on my face ;) thousands of hi res "glowing" cars in the right lane and only me in the left lane.... free from the Hi Res dome life.

You know what I'm talking about so get pro-active. Campaign for traffic lights at Dounreay..... ten cars per 2 minute filter "outward" [evil]

Careful- your attitude's showing. These bêtes noires of yours hold down full-time jobs. They get there in time for an eight o'clock start and come home at the end of a working day. That amount of traffic is always going to inconvenience someone.

Tangerine-Dream
29-Apr-14, 22:34
Drinking on a school night tangerine dream?Tut tut

I drink for a living and have no conception of what a "School Night" is...................

Tangerine-Dream
29-Apr-14, 22:36
Careful- your attitude's showing. These bêtes noires of yours hold down full-time jobs. They get there in time for an eight o'clock start and come home at the end of a working day. That amount of traffic is always going to inconvenience someone.

You're right.... no way can I do "mornings" (let alone a "working day")........ 8 hours in a dome would kill me.

Tangerine-Dream
29-Apr-14, 22:39
I drink for a living and have no conception of what a "School Night" is...................

Is that similar to a night school?

Please educate me.

Tangerine-Dream
29-Apr-14, 22:44
My once yearly visit to this forum is about to expire (again) in the next 3 minutes..... as always, it's been fun....

Keep the faith and freedom to the free world.

Mike.

See "y'all" next year.... same time same channel.

amm26
29-Apr-14, 23:18
It was much safer, quicker and stress free without the traffic lights p No need for traffics lights in town and villages, if you have all heard of the poynton shared space scheme, it works fine, and they have more traffic that we do in thurso.http://youtu.be/-vzDDMzq7d0

Bobinovich
30-Apr-14, 00:14
It was much safer, quicker and stress free without the traffic lights p No need for traffics lights in town and villages, if you have all heard of the poynton shared space scheme, it works fine, and they have more traffic that we do in thurso.http://youtu.be/-vzDDMzq7d0

Fascinating - would like to see something similar implemented at the Square, at the junction of Princes Street / Ormlie Road / Castlegreen Road & Lovers Lane, and maybe even at Tesco.

luskentyre
30-Apr-14, 00:22

I don't think he/she was being serious. I hope not anyway!

Tangerine-Dream
30-Apr-14, 22:45
I'm a hot blooded ALPHA male and am very "serious" when it comes down to redundant (non operational) traffic lights ;)

Kenn
30-Apr-14, 23:53
With the traffic lights out by the square we went through Thurso smoother than a creamed baby's bum !

Big Gaz
01-May-14, 09:39
Hmm, almost 60 years since Dounreay opened and the Thurso people still can't get used to the mid-afternoon rush-hour.....Can't imagine what Thurso would be like now had Dounreay never been built.

All that space to wander freely, no noisy and air-polluting mechanical machines, Sheep and horse tied up outside the pubs whilst the owners had a whisky, the milk cart trundling through the dirt covered street, the little lad with the flat cap bringing a Hovis loaf home (oops, wrong advert) the gas lighter doing his rounds at dusk, the coal man delivering his load to the railway station for the Inverness express....eeee how things have changed in 60 years. [lol]

webmannie
02-May-14, 07:58
Not be as long before we get the opportunity to find out what it was like, if regeneration disna start happening any time soon! Time is marching on, tick tock tick tock. It took only one man till sign the death knell for Dounreay, it can happen again.