PDA

View Full Version : UK Pensions

Rheghead
24-Apr-14, 21:37
Gordon Brown warned that pensions would suffer in an independent Scotland.

Well, UK pensions are the second worse in the developed world, just Mexico is worse according to trusted OECD. Vote No and keep pensions abysmal.

Indy Scotland will do better.

http://www.standard.co.uk/business/business-news/uks-state-pension-one-of-worst-in-developed-world-8964516.html

golach
24-Apr-14, 21:42
We have your word that our pensions will be safe, what's going to pay for it? Oh aye, the endless fund oil, Aye Right!!

Rheghead
24-Apr-14, 21:52
We have your word that our pensions will be safe, what's going to pay for it? Oh aye, the endless fund oil, Aye Right!!

You need to ask the right question.

"What is the UK spending on that leaves UK pensions the second worse in the developed world?"

A rebalancing of expenditure to what is important to the people of Scotland is only possible by voting Yes on 18th September.

golach
24-Apr-14, 22:08
That's a new one on me "rebalancing the expenditure " where are monies going to come from? A rob Paul to pay Eck, system, is it? Some balancing that will be.

squidge
25-Apr-14, 00:18
Rebalancing is not about robbing Peter to pay Anyone but about moving expenditure away from Westminster Priorities (currently Tory policies although there will be little difference if labour form next government) and towards Scotland's priorities. The people who will decide what those priorities are will be us. All of us when we vote for what WE want Scotland's government to do with OUR money. Pensions are affordable now and Scotland will be able to put in place policies which will ensure their affordability in the future. Oil is not all Scotland has it has a vibrant and growing economy.

ducati
25-Apr-14, 12:17
Yes! Whatever you do, don't listen to anyone or any organisation that knows what they are talking about if it points out any disadvantage to independence. Instead listen to those that will say anything to get your yes vote.

golach
25-Apr-14, 12:24
Yes! Whatever you do, don't listen to anyone or any organisation that knows what they are talking about if it points out any disadvantage to independence. Instead listen to those that will say anything to get your yes vote.Hear Hear, could not put it better myself.

squidge
25-Apr-14, 12:54
Yes! Whatever you do, don't listen to anyone or any organisation that knows what they are talking about if it points out any disadvantage to independence. Instead listen to those that will say anything to get your yes vote.You are wrong Ducati. Yvette Cooper said yesterday that Scotland will need 1 million immigrants to afford pensions in the future. I ABSOLUTELY agree with her. The daily express pointed out on Tuesday that pensions in the UK are in crisis and I think they are right. The Scottish Labour Party has said on numerous occasions that Scotland's population is ageing and we need to make decisions about funding future pensions and they are right. The Westminster Government has produced figures that show we spend proportionately less on welfare including pensions in Scotland than in the UK as a whole and I accept their figures. The thing is Ducati that I believe that the best people to decide on how we do all this is those of us living and working here and that with Independence we can decide solutions which fit the needs of Scotland and not be shoe horned into solutions which are designed to suit England and which do not help here at all.

Big Gaz
25-Apr-14, 13:16
Yvette Cooper said yesterday that Scotland will need 1 million immigrants to afford pensions in the future.

Hmm, pray tell where these 1million+ immigrants are going to live? There are no houses available as it is! Not only that, those 1 million immigrants will be starting their own pension pots so that's even more money that will be needed for the pension pot!

squidge
25-Apr-14, 13:46
Hmm, pray tell where these 1million+ immigrants are going to live? There are no houses available as it is! Not only that, those 1 million immigrants will be starting their own pension pots so that's even more money that will be needed for the pension pot!

You are absolutely right Gaz. It's a startling figure. Would destroy our culture, exacerbate a housing crisis, swamp us with foreigners..... Or would it?

The figure of 1 million immigrants is the net figure that Scotland needs between now and 5 years? 10 years? Nope. In order to afford Scotland's pension liabilities (if everything, spending across the board, on welfare defence trident NHS even emigration etc etc stays exactly the same which it is not likely to - see the rebalancing post above) Scotland needs net immigration of 1 million between now and 2051.

Yep 2051.

That's nearly 40 years. Over the last ten we have averaged around 22500. So the figure which Yvette Cooper would have us gasp and stretch our eyes at, the figure which she would have us think would be impossible, ridiculous, dangerous and perhaps even catastrophic for our housing society and culture is actually only around 1500 more a year than we are averaging now.

With changes to spending, economic growth, simple changes which allow those studying at universities here to remain here after graduating to work and invest their learning in Scotland instead of taking it away then we will be able to afford and maybe even improve pensions within my lifetime!

The Music Monster
25-Apr-14, 14:00
Thanks, Squidge. It's nice to hear someone with a balanced, well-constructed argument - I don't care which "side" they're on!

squidge
25-Apr-14, 14:39
Neither do I music monster I just want people to hear both sides of the debate so they can make their minds up.

dozy
25-Apr-14, 16:25
You are wrong Ducati. Yvette Cooper said yesterday that Scotland will need 1 million immigrants to afford pensions in the future. I ABSOLUTELY agree with her. The daily express pointed out on Tuesday that pensions in the UK are in crisis and I think they are right. The Scottish Labour Party has said on numerous occasions that Scotland's population is ageing and we need to make decisions about funding future pensions and they are right. The Westminster Government has produced figures that show we spend proportionately less on welfare including pensions in Scotland than in the UK as a whole and I accept their figures. The thing is Ducati that I believe that the best people to decide on how we do all this is those of us living and working here and that with Independence we can decide solutions which fit the needs of Scotland and not be shoe horned into solutions which are designed to suit England and which do not help here at all.I believe that the problem with Scotland growing pensioner population is partly down to over 284,000 pensioner's that have come over from England. If go down to the post office on any Monday or Tuesday morning and you're knee deep in the Sliver Haired Army and not one local accent can be heard.

squidge
25-Apr-14, 16:50
Is that an observation or an accusation Dozy? Do you really establish nationality by accent? If you do here is a selection of people for you to choose from

1 - Lancashire accent
2 - Very definite English received pronunciation
3 - Caithness Accent
4 - Inverness Accent
5 - Definitely English accent
6 - Faintly Glaswegian mixed with Highland Accent
7 - Non descript english accent
8 - Non descript english accent

Any guesses lol

PantsMAN
26-Apr-14, 17:33

A UK pension that you have paid into is an entitlement not a benefit.

Ex-pats living abroad receive their UK pensions.

Will Westminster discriminate against some pensioners based on ethnicity or geographical location? Can't see it.

Big Gaz
26-Apr-14, 17:43
Is that an observation or an accusation Dozy? Do you really establish nationality by accent? If you do here is a selection of people for you to choose from

1 - Lancashire accent
2 - Very definite English received pronunciation
3 - Caithness Accent
4 - Inverness Accent
5 - Definitely English accent
6 - Faintly Glaswegian mixed with Highland Accent
7 - Non descript english accent
8 - Non descript english accent

Any guesses lol

You forgot

9 - Dubious and plausible but obviously put-on Scottish accent
10 - Extremely dubious, very laughable and unbelievable Scottish accent with a wee bit of Lancastrian grate

squidge
26-Apr-14, 22:17
Hahaha Gaz - I asked the above question of a guy who was complaining about accents being English. So as dozy is obviously confused the answers are....

1. English
2. Scottish - Born and spent childhood in Barra
3. English - Born spent childhood in Lancashire then moved to Caithness then to Inverness
4. English - As above
5. English - Born Lancashire, spent early childhood Caithness then moved to Inverness
6. Scottish
7. Scottish
8. Scottish
And even more they are all members of the same family - mine.

Just shows you cannot assume anything from an accent.

Gaz - where are yours from.

Oddquine
26-Apr-14, 22:18
A UK pension that you have paid into is an entitlement not a benefit.

Ex-pats living abroad receive their UK pensions.

Will Westminster discriminate against some pensioners based on ethnicity or geographical location? Can't see it.

Exactly. Theoretically, even if we vote for Independence, the country which has the £5 trillion unfunded pension black hole at the moment, is also the country which is obliged to meet the pensions due to all of the Scottish Pensioners receiving pensions up until Independence day. And, given they have spent all our NI/taxes on UK as opposed to Scottish necessities....and ditto all the taxes/NI being paid in by current workers towards their pensions until that date.......I should think we would be due a good chunk of money to set against our share of the National Debt if they think Scotland is going to bail them out of their obligations to pay us all what they owe us! ;)

gerry4
27-Apr-14, 10:50
someone else pointed out that that was 1 million over something like 40 years, not all in 2016.