PDA

View Full Version : Apparently I am supporting the No campaign...

Humerous Vegetable
21-Apr-14, 15:07
At the risk of being attacked by the Numpties For No campaign for taking a different view, I would like to ask why, when STV have left the CBI to maintain it's "duty of impartiality" as a public service broadcaster, the BBC has not followed suit? Why is my licence fee going to the Better-Togethers? Can it possibly be that the BBC is not impartial, and can't even be bothered pretending anymore that it is? How shocked am I?

Big Gaz
21-Apr-14, 15:14
There's also the issue of the £250m every year that's gifted by the govt to the CBI in order to create jobs. When asked for an answer on how many of those jobs created were in Scotland, a spokesman for the CBI said he couldn't possibly comment on how many jobs were created in Scotland but the total was definitely substantial. He was then asked to answer where the £100k that was being gifted by the CBI to the "Better together" campaign came from, he "couldn't possibly say" and when asked for proof of how much help the CBI had given Scottish businesses he clammed up and sloped off muttering to himself.

Says a lot eh!!

ducati
21-Apr-14, 18:11
Look, it is obvious that you wouldn't and don't complain about any organisation coming out in favour of yes, so don't be childish. You sound like Eck in a stropp.

And anyway, who says the BBC or any broadcaster has to be impartial in a vote to break up the UK?

mi16
21-Apr-14, 19:18
I guess the clue is in their name

Humerous Vegetable
22-Apr-14, 09:49
Look, it is obvious that you wouldn't and don't complain about any organisation coming out in favour of yes, so don't be childish. You sound like Eck in a stropp.

And anyway, who says the BBC or any broadcaster has to be impartial in a vote to break up the UK?

I'm awfully sorry if I was "bullying" you by asking a simple question, which seems to be the reaction from the No camp anytime a pro-Independence supporter looks at them in a funny way. The BBC is taking money from licence fee payers of all political persuasions in order to supply it's services. It should at least attempt to be rigorously neutral in political matters. By being part of an organisation (CBI) which has now taken an anti-Independence stance,without a mandate from their members, the BBC is now using our money to support a political stance we may strongly object to. Scotland is turning into North Korea, where you are only allowed to vote for one ideology which is relentlessly promoted by it's state media.

ducati
22-Apr-14, 10:51
I'm awfully sorry if I was "bullying" you by asking a simple question, which seems to be the reaction from the No camp anytime a pro-Independence supporter looks at them in a funny way. The BBC is taking money from licence fee payers of all political persuasions in order to supply it's services. It should at least attempt to be rigorously neutral in political matters. By being part of an organisation (CBI) which has now taken an anti-Independence stance,without a mandate from their members, the BBC is now using our money to support a political stance we may strongly object to. Scotland is turning into North Korea, where you are only allowed to vote for one ideology which is relentlessly promoted by it's state media.

I'm not the sort of person that feels bullied. I just thought it was a bit silly of you to complain about organisations being biased but only on the no side. I do believe the SNP are spending plenty of my money promoting the yes campaign so why not call it a draw?

Humerous Vegetable
22-Apr-14, 12:17
No, seriously, how does that work? Why are you sending money to the SNP if you don't want them to use it for political purposes? Why not send it UKIP or the Tories, if that's what floats your political boat?

As for me only complaining about organizations on the No side, I am complaining about the principle of my own money being used by a national organization to support another national body over which I have no control whatsoever, unless I want to refuse to buy a telly licence and end up in court.

ducati
22-Apr-14, 15:36
No, seriously, how does that work? Why are you sending money to the SNP if you don't want them to use it for political purposes? Why not send it UKIP or the Tories, if that's what floats your political boat?

As for me only complaining about organizations on the No side, I am complaining about the principle of my own money being used by a national organization to support another national body over which I have no control whatsoever, unless I want to refuse to buy a telly licence and end up in court.

I think you missed the point. My (and your) taxes pay the wages of the SNP party elite.

golach
22-Apr-14, 15:57
I think you missed the point. My (and your) taxes pay the wages of the SNP party elite.Like Eck's. 500k trip to the Ryder Cup, and his £600+ Rupert bear trews, why should I have to foot his 5* hotel jaunts?

Humerous Vegetable
22-Apr-14, 16:35
No, you are paying for the SNP, Lib-Dem, Labour, Tory and Green party "elite" who comprise the members of the Scottish parliament. You are also paying for the wages, pensions and perks and expenses of the Westminster MPs and the weird golfing trousers of the House of Lords. At least, after independence, we get rid of these 2 unnecessary layers of government. Still nobody tells me why my television licence fee is going towards the No campaign....

mi16
22-Apr-14, 16:41
No, you are paying for the SNP, Lib-Dem, Labour, Tory and Green party "elite" who comprise the members of the Scottish parliament. You are also paying for the wages, pensions and perks and expenses of the Westminster MPs and the weird golfing trousers of the House of Lords. At least, after independence, we get rid of these 2 unnecessary layers of government. Still nobody tells me why my television licence fee is going towards the No campaign....

no one is forcing you to purchase a television licence

Humerous Vegetable
22-Apr-14, 17:09
Are they not? I wish I'd known that before I queued for 30 minutes down Thurso post office last month.

mi16
22-Apr-14, 17:41
Are they not? I wish I'd known that before I queued for 30 minutes down Thurso post office last month.

Every day is a school day

golach
22-Apr-14, 18:05
Why have I got to watch the drivel on BBC 2 just now, masquerading as a snp party political broadcast ? Stick it on Stv.

Why is my BBC Licence fee being used to broadcast the rantings of Eck, and his twisted politics?

mi16
22-Apr-14, 18:23
Why have I got to watch the drivel on BBC 2 just now, masquerading as a snp party political broadcast ? Stick it on Stv

I can think of another suitable aperture for them to stick their SNP tripe

Big Gaz
22-Apr-14, 18:54
You don't need a TV licence.

All you have to do is watch catchup TV via a computer and play DVD's etc. As long as you don't watch TV programmes as they are broadcast live then you don't need a licence.

golach
22-Apr-14, 18:59
You don't need a TV licence.All you have to do is watch catchup TV via a computer and play DVD's etc. As long as you don't watch TV programmes as they are broadcast live then you don't need a licence.How can I stop seeing snp party "political" broadcasts, when I like watching TV ?

ducati
22-Apr-14, 21:17

But, like you, I'm only complaining about one side.

Big Gaz
22-Apr-14, 22:06
How can I stop seeing snp party "political" broadcasts, when I like watching TV ?

buy some earplugs and a pair of dark sunglasses and pop them on when the PPB's come on - problem solved!! :D

squidge
22-Apr-14, 22:09
All televisions have an off button for goodness sake

mi16
23-Apr-14, 08:35

Indeed they do, however it does not solve Golachs problem of being bombarded with SNP propaganda when wishing to watch a particular channel.

Big Gaz
23-Apr-14, 08:52

Ahh but then Golach would have to either A) stretch for the remote control......or......B) get off their lardy ass and physically switch the TV off.....or.....C) sit there, all attentive, stary eyed and be brainwashed.....

All options are painful, however you look at them..

golach
23-Apr-14, 09:15
Indeed they do, however it does not solve Golachs problem of being bombarded with SNP propaganda when wishing to watch a particular channel.
My point exactly!! The Yes numpties on here are mouthing off about their TV License Fees on one hand and the BBC, so why should I have to put up with nationalist propaganda being shown on channels I like, stick it on the STV as they have taken the moral high ground and come out of the CBI.

Humerous Vegetable
23-Apr-14, 14:46
Ofcom and the BBC Trust govern PPB rules. Complain to them. Although why anybody would want to sit through a Party Political broadcast of any party, just to girn about it afterwards is beyond me. I'm sure if UKIP or Emmerdale suddenly came on my screen, I would manage to turn it off before anything tragic happened to my brain. STV hasn't taken the "moral high ground", it has taken the correct action to maintain it's neutrality - a concept apparently unknown to the BBC.

mi16
24-Apr-14, 19:17
Seems you were a tad hasty humorous vegetable

golach
24-Apr-14, 19:32
Oh, BBC has suspended it's membership of the CBI, is my licence fee now being used to support the yes numpties ?