Brizer2k2
04-Apr-05, 21:10
Scotads Highland League
################

Keith V Wick Academy at Kynoh Park, Keith

3.00 p.m kick-off

Brizer2k2
09-Apr-05, 19:59
Keith beat Wick 2-1 this afternoon with Academy's goal coming from winger Nigel MacKenzie.

Keith hold out for a tight victory 09-Apr-2005 - match report from www.highlandleague.net

Wick Academy travelled to Kynoch Park looking for the upset that would lift them above Brora Rangers in the Scot Ads Highland League should results go their way in other games.

However Keith had other plans and they took the lead after only four minutes. Stuart Walker was the early starter, turning to place the ball in the bottom corner from twelve yards out to the delight of the home support.

A long ball by Jonathan Watt was too high for Dean Donaldson however a slip from Andrew Macleod allowed Barrie Stephen to race on and he rounded Don MacMillan but he blasted the ball into the sidenetting. On the quarter hour Barrie Stephen again went close bending a 25 yard free kick around the wall only to be denied by a fine save.

Keith deservedly doubled their advantage after 25 minutes after Jonathon Watt's highball caught the away defence napping. Dean Donaldson was able to come in off the left wing and run in behind the Wick back line before connecting with Watt's high ball and see his diving header loop over Don MacMillan and into the top corner from eight yards.

The Maroons were dominating and another long ball found Darren Still galloping from midfield but his attempted lob struck the crossbar and bounced out for a goal kick. Stuart Walker almost put the icing on a fine first half with a half volley that once again tested the side netting instead of the keeper.

Wick required something to go in their favour early in the second half and they appeared to get the break when, within a minute Keith striker Barrie Stephen lashed out at Alex Lamb and was shown a straight red for retaliation.

Derek Nicol passed up a gilt edged chance to put Keith on easy street when he hit the post with a penalty after Darren Still had been bundled over in the box by full back Graeme Reid.

The Scorries pulled one back in the 71st minute when Nigel Mackenzie struck an awesome opportunistic volley over the head of gangly goalie Andy Shearer from the far corner of the 18 yard box.

There was further drama in the final minute when a pass back lead to an indirect free kick six yards from goal, which referee David Watt promptly yellow carded Andy Shearer for. Darren Still was then booked for complaining, then shown a second yellow and subsequently a red.

Still then compounded his own problems by booting the ball at the referee leading to another red card being shown. The free kick itself saw Andrew Macleod blast it past Andy Shearer only to see Jonathan Watt make a vital goal line clearance. When the ball fell back to substitute Colin Davidson he wastefully blasted over the bar.

Full Time:Keith 2 Wick Academy 1
Reporter: Chris McHardy

The Pepsi Challenge
09-Apr-05, 21:51
Does the reporter presume we know which team each player represents? The way it's written gives me no indication.

Brizer2k2
09-Apr-05, 22:08
No idea who the guy is. Probably a club official or supporter of the home team I'd imagine.

If you followed the Highland League week in week out and visited the Highland League websites then you'd know who each player was.

If he added the team line-ups in his report then that would have helped.

doreenhedgehog
09-Apr-05, 22:24
The report was much like any other football report. I've not seen many reporters who mention what team each player is with?? I had no trouble figuring out who he was referring to.

However I'm sure Pepsi Challenge, being an expert on everything, knows better.

The Pepsi Challenge
10-Apr-05, 00:10
No idea who the guy is. Probably a club official or supporter of the home team I'd imagine.

If you followed the Highland League week in week out and visited the Highland League websites then you'd know who each player was.

If he added the team line-ups in his report then that would have helped.

I read the sports pages of newspapers daily. Rarely, if ever, do they assume you'd know which team x/y player plays for (in terms of a match report). Though, as I've found with most Highland people - they often yatter on fully expecting you to assume you know what they're talking about. For example, any time I ask someone from Caithness what time it is they usually say "ten to" or "quarter past". Yeah, but ten to what? quarter past what? It's part of their appeal, I think.

The Pepsi Challenge
10-Apr-05, 00:13
The report was much like any other football report. I've not seen many reporters who mention what team each player is with?? I had no trouble figuring out who he was referring to.

However I'm sure Pepsi Challenge, being an expert on everything, knows better.

I had no idea which team the players played for because the reporter didn't mention it. The team line-up's weren't even mentioned at the end of the report. Keep on fishin' doreenhedgehog. Tides out at the moment.

scotsboy
10-Apr-05, 04:52
It is very badly written :lol:

doreenhedgehog
10-Apr-05, 10:16
However Keith had other plans and they took the lead after only four minutes. Stuart Walker was the early starter, turning to place the ball in the bottom corner from twelve yards out to the delight of the home support.

Stuart Walker obviously plays for Keith

A long ball by Jonathan Watt was too high for Dean Donaldson however a slip from Andrew Macleod allowed Barrie Stephen to race on and he rounded Don MacMillan but he blasted the ball into the sidenetting. On the quarter hour Barrie Stephen again went close bending a 25 yard free kick around the wall only to be denied by a fine save.

Fair enough, no mention here, but as he goes on to say that Keith then deservedly doubled their advantage, it's not difficult to know that those chances went Keith's way.

Keith deservedly doubled their advantage after 25 minutes after Jonathon Watt's highball caught the away defence napping. Dean Donaldson was able to come in off the left wing and run in behind the Wick back line before connecting with Watt's high ball and see his diving header loop over Don MacMillan and into the top corner from eight yards.

Again fairly obvious

The Maroons were dominating and another long ball found Darren Still galloping from midfield but his attempted lob struck the crossbar and bounced out for a goal kick. Stuart Walker almost put the icing on a fine first half with a half volley that once again tested the side netting instead of the keeper.

Again fairly obvious - and if you don't know either teams colours, why would you even read the report.

Wick required something to go in their favour early in the second half and they appeared to get the break when, within a minute Keith striker Barrie Stephen lashed out at Alex Lamb and was shown a straight red for retaliation.

No questions here either?

Derek Nicol passed up a gilt edged chance to put Keith on easy street when he hit the post with a penalty after Darren Still had been bundled over in the box by full back Graeme Reid.

Again, very straightforward

The Scorries pulled one back in the 71st minute when Nigel Mackenzie struck an awesome opportunistic volley over the head of gangly goalie Andy Shearer from the far corner of the 18 yard box.

Unless you don't know who the Scorries are, or which team was behind at this stage....

There was further drama in the final minute when a pass back lead to an indirect free kick six yards from goal, which referee David Watt promptly yellow carded Andy Shearer for. Darren Still was then booked for complaining, then shown a second yellow and subsequently a red.

Still then compounded his own problems by booting the ball at the referee leading to another red card being shown. The free kick itself saw Andrew Macleod blast it past Andy Shearer only to see Jonathan Watt make a vital goal line clearance. When the ball fell back to substitute Colin Davidson he wastefully blasted over the bar.

As Darren Still has featured in a few pieces of action already, it's assumed that the reader knows which team he plays for by now.

To be honest, when you consider that the reports for these games aren't done by award winning journalists like The Pepsi Challenge, but by club officials or fans, I can't see much wrong with it at all.

scotsboy
10-Apr-05, 10:57
This lyric from the Beautiful South sprung to mind when reading your post Hedgehog:

Yes, you're kinda put off wafer
When you've tasted chocolate first

Brizer2k2
10-Apr-05, 11:20
I knew Pepsi challenge would comment on the content of the match report when I posted it.

very predictable.

The Pepsi Challenge
10-Apr-05, 15:31
All three of you have a point.

I've spent the last few years trying to get away from journalism, but I am still mired in it - a low trade and a habit worse than hard drugs, a strange seedy world full of misfits and drunkards and failures.

He that is taught by himself has a fool for a master.