View Full Version : Jail for stabber

17-Apr-14, 13:45
Twenty-eight months for "serious assault"

A MAN has been jailed for 28 months for a stabbing attack on his partner in their Wick flat.
The woman Claire Robertson ran screaming from it, covered in blood, following her ordeal which included being held down on the floor by Mark Gunn who attempted to stop her breathing.
Sentencing him, today, Sheriff Andrew Berry said that Gunn had committed “an extremely serious assault” which had had a considerable impact on his victim and that a prison term on the only appropriate penalty.
The couple argued after Gunn, 36, returned home to their flat in Ashley Court, Wick, in the evening of November 20, last year after a drinking session. The bickering was aggravated by the fact that Ms Robertson was getting ready to go out, Wick Sheriff Court heard.
Ms Robertson became aware of Gunn standing behind her and felt what she assumed were punches.
She was then forced to the floor by the accused who kneelled on top of her with his knees on her chest.
Fiscal David Barclay said: “As she struggled, Gunn put his hands over her nose and mouth which prevented her from breathing for a time. She managed to move her head, enabling her to breathe again. At this point, Gunn put his hand into Ms Robertson’s mouth and pushed her tongue backwards. This again caused her breathing difficulty but she bit his hand causing him to remove it. Ms Robertson was terrified and was pleading with her to partner to stop and talk things through.”
Instead, Gunn punched her again as she got to her feet. It was then that Ms Robertson became aware that the accused was holding a knife with what she later described as having a seven or eight-inch blade. She then concluded that what she had assumed had been punches, earlier, had in fact been stab wounds".
Mr Barclay said that Ms Robertson fled from the top-floor flat pursued by Gunn but managed to reach the home, nearby, of a friend who raised the alarm. Gunn, who was also bleeding, suddenly realised what he had done, and went to a separate address and confessed to the occupant he had just stabbed his partner. The police were summoned and Gunn was detained.
Ms Robertson was treated in hospital for scratches and bruising two broken teeth and two stab wounds on her upper back, one 12mm in length the 24mm, both requiring a combined total of five stitches. She also complained of a tenderness and soreness on her shoulders and arms.
Mr Barclay added: “It was recognised that if any significant organs in the area of the wounds had been struck by the knife there could, potentially, have been a danger to life.
Sheriff Berry, who saw reports, told Gunn, who pleaded guilty to the assault on indictment, that the attack had had consequences for Ms Robertson not least from the physical damage but ongoing difficulties it was causing her. The protection of the public also had to be taken into account. The jail term is backdated to March 18, when Gunn was detained.
The sheriff also made Gunn, of 42 Camanachd Crescent, Fort William, subject to a five-year, non- harassment order banning him from Ashley Court and contacting Ms Robertson. After he is released Gunn will then under supervision for a year.