PDA

View Full Version : Power outage

captain chaos
16-Apr-14, 21:45
Message from Scottish Hydro at 21:45 tonite

We are currently aware that customers in the Western Isles, Shetland, Orkney, Highlands, Uist, Fort Williams and surrounding areas have lost power this evening. Our control room engineers are currently working on restoring supplies as soon as possible. We are sorry for any inconvenience this is currently causing you.

The org will be quiet tonite!!

captain chaos
16-Apr-14, 22:12
On the BBC

Power cut hits north of Scotland A power cut has left large areas of northern Scotland without electricity.
The area affected is said to stretch from Fort William up to Lerwick in Shetland.
The Western Isles and Skye are also said to be among the areas hit by the outage, which is understood to have happened before 21:00.
Electricity is reported to have now been restored in Inverness, but some rail services to and from the city have been delayed.
A Scottish and Southern Energy spokesman said it was aware of an issue affecting the network in parts of northern Scotland.
He said the firm was working to identify the fault and restore power as soon as possible.
However, he said he did not know how many homes were affected or when the power cut started.

orkneycadian
16-Apr-14, 22:58
Just a short power cut over here in Orkney, and back on before 10 o clock. But then, we do have more windmills per head of population here than Caithness, so that probably explains it.

orkneycadian
16-Apr-14, 23:04
On the bright side, it knocked of the "Modern Country" programme on Caithness FM, and we got MFR instead!

Tinkerbell09
17-Apr-14, 00:03
Were in Halkirk and the power came back on about 20 mins ago! Was nice to get the candles out and have a blether :)

Kevin Milkins
17-Apr-14, 06:57
I found myself having a conversation with Mrs M, she's not a bad sort really.

Big Gaz
17-Apr-14, 08:29
I found myself having a conversation with Mrs M, she's not a bad sort really.

Aaw Kevin, the things you have to resort to when married....:D

Wizzbang
17-Apr-14, 15:12
All these dammed wind turbines came in useful then

jacko
17-Apr-14, 17:00
I thought that all power generated whether power stations wind turbines etc was fed into the national grid then distributed from there. But I could be wrong

ducati
17-Apr-14, 18:04
Eck's plan for keeping the lights on in England are looking pretty sad. :roll:

kosacid
17-Apr-14, 18:59
i think all them wind turbines are fake im sure i seen them spinning last night and i didn't even have a working light bulb, nothing like having a shower and boom its off :lol:

cazmanian_minx
17-Apr-14, 19:20
Apparently the fault was at Beauly - someone flicked the wrong switch. SSE gets fined for every minute over half an hour that the power's off for, so I guess all our bills are going to go up again to pay for last night!

captain chaos
17-Apr-14, 19:33
Perhaps wee Eck was testing the independance switch last night!! [lol]

All that renewable power and sod all worked, bit like the SNP plan

Green_not_greed
17-Apr-14, 20:37
It was windy enough to power turbines last night. Why were 200,000+ homes without power when windfarms are connected to this end of the grid ? Questions need to be asked ! And answered !

GNG

captain chaos
17-Apr-14, 21:00
Have just emailed SSE Networks that very question.

Will post reply if and when I get one

jacko
17-Apr-14, 21:56
maybe the prob was not what s going into the grid but the way it was coming out ?????????????

Big Gaz
17-Apr-14, 22:12
Just a short power cut over here in Orkney, and back on before 10 o clock. But then, we do have more windmills per head of population here than Caithness, so that probably explains it.

I'm intrigued as to where the power you got up there at 10 o'clock came from? Is there a secret power generating station buried in some hillside that's hush-hush and accessed on a need-to-enter system? or have you all got mini steam converters in your back garden or shed that burn sheep poo and produce shteam to turn the turbine and generate the electricity? or are you just not letting on :D

sids
18-Apr-14, 08:13
Just a short power cut .

A power cut?

We had an "outage," apparently.

sids
18-Apr-14, 08:14

Are there still diesel generators on Orkney?

PantsMAN
18-Apr-14, 20:42
Interesting that no 'cause' has been attributed despite the engineers inspecting the line.

Couldn't have been a malicious wee hacker compromising the system, could it?

mi16
19-Apr-14, 10:06
No..............

squidge
19-Apr-14, 23:06
We were on holiday in Ardnamurchan - no power, no internet, no mobile signal no sign of life, utterly utterly silent, a mist gathering.... - i was a bit concerned that our campaign for Scottish Independence had had a cataclysmic effect on World peace as George Robertson had suggested and that Philip Hammond's suggestion that we were face to face with threats from space had indeed come true and we were facing the end of the world as we know but then the lights came back on - phew!

ywindythesecond
19-Apr-14, 23:40
We were on holiday in Ardnamurchan - no power, no internet, no mobile signal no sign of life, utterly utterly silent, a mist gathering.... - i was a bit concerned that our campaign for Scottish Independence had had a cataclysmic effect on World peace as George Robertson had suggested and that Philip Hammond's suggestion that we were face to face with threats from space had indeed come true and we were facing the end of the world as we know but then the lights came back on - phew!

Thats the way I remember Ardnamurchan. I thought you were extolling your holiday venue until you mentioned lights coming back on!

Dadie
19-Apr-14, 23:45
Hmmn I thought no light /no tv/radio...candles only ...romantic ...see ya in the morning!...then ill kid :~(
Just the snotty nose thing...but well and truly switched my plans round as kids do!...nhs 24 is not great!...
over the magic 40Deg ...

squidge
20-Apr-14, 00:54
Thats the way I remember Ardnamurchan. I thought you were extolling your holiday venue until you mentioned lights coming back on! I was. The lights came on but there was still no internet, no mobile signal, no sign of life, utterly utterly silent, a mist gathering..... It's been wonderful! Next year it is 40 years since I first visited this wonderful place. I never tire of it.

spurtle
20-Apr-14, 21:20
Interesting that no 'cause' has been attributed despite the engineers inspecting the line.

Couldn't have been a malicious wee hacker compromising the system, could it?

As they fixed it, presumably they knew what it was they were fixing?

Bobinovich
20-Apr-14, 22:10
Still no explanation for the outage on the Hydro's Power Distribution Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/hydroPD) or on the News page of their website (http://www.hydro.co.uk/AboutUs/News/) :confused

Kevin Milkins
20-Apr-14, 22:39
As they fixed it, presumably they knew what it was they were fixing?

It could be like when the trip switch goes at home, your never sure what made it trip. They went through the motions of putting the lever back up, but never knew what made it flip.