PDA

View Full Version : Dog Dirt On Our Streets

connieb19
03-Mar-07, 12:08
Does anyone know who is responsible for cleaning up the dog dirt on our streets when some lazy owners, who aren't capable of picking up after their dogs, dont do it? [disgust]

ANNIE
03-Mar-07, 12:13
I totally agree. I am a dog owner and always pick up after my dog and he's a big lad. What annoys me is that people who have small dogs seem to think because it's small they don't have to pick up after them. It doesn't matter what size they are it still has the same dangers if a small child was to touch it. And think your poo bags are free from the council they can't blame cost .There needs to be a few people fined and maybe thast would deter them.

connieb19
03-Mar-07, 12:19
It's really annoying me that us people who chose not to have a dog still have to go out and clear up after other peoples pets. Anyone caught not clearing up should be baned from keeping dogs at all. [evil]

johno
03-Mar-07, 12:52
yes its bad enough on the street and worse on the pavement but when some dog owners are out walking their pets & allow them to do it in your garden that takes the biscuit for me. but when i eventually catch the culprit he will be charged with it.
and yes i myself have two dogs and i do lift their crap [always][evil]

sam
03-Mar-07, 12:55
I totally agree connie, there's nothing worse than walking along a pavement with kids trying to dodge all the dog mess , especially if you have a pram as its a nightmare having to clean the wheels before taking the pram inside.
There is no excuse atall for people not cleaning it up behind them its a disgrace[disgust]

JimH
03-Mar-07, 13:19
yes its bad enough on the street and worse on the pavement but when some dog owners are out walking their pets & allow them to do it in your garden that takes the biscuit for me. but when i eventually catch the culprit he will be charged with it.

I have the same problem in Halkirk. My front lawn is used frequently, and if I see them they clean it up, but if we are not about, then they don't bother. that applies to the footpath outside our houses as well.
I'm going to rig up a camera, and then give the prints to the dog warden.

emszxr
03-Mar-07, 13:54
i really hate it when dog owners take theie dogs to the shows in the summer months and are walking around a field with a few hundred if not thousand other people and let their dog do its business where everyone is walking and dont even think about picking it up and sure enough some poor person who is having a lovely day at the show is going to have it spoiled by trodding in the mess. if you cant clean up after your pet, dont take it to show and better still dont get a dog.

darkman
03-Mar-07, 14:02
Walking through argyll square and ducksy, you have to tiptoe through a minefield of dog crap.

The_man_from_del_monte
03-Mar-07, 14:15
Sounds like a Morrissey song

Dogdirt on the streets of London
Dogdirt on the streets of Birmingham
Dog dirt on the streets of Thurso

Hang the doggie, Hang the doggie, Hang the doggie
Hang the Doggie!

<alternative chorus>

use a poopscoop, use a poopscoop, use a poopscoop
Use a poopscoop!

ashaw1
03-Mar-07, 15:28
I am so glad it's not just me noticing it. Taking my kids up to Pultneytown Academy every morning is a complete nightmare. Not very nice if your pram runs through it either! I take it the culprits don't actually live in the area their dogs are fouling. Broken bottles/glasses seems to be another increasing problem.

Rheghead
03-Mar-07, 15:32
If the police did a crackdown on the poopers then what is the answer to the allegation that they aren't utilising their time efficiently towards catching the real criminals?:roll:

connieb19
03-Mar-07, 15:36
It might be an idea to get people on community service to clean it up instead of sending them home because there's nothing for them to do. :confused

Royster1911
03-Mar-07, 15:57
It might be an idea to get people on community service to clean it up instead of sending them home because there's nothing for them to do. :confused

Ahh,but (what if they catch an illness from this activity? Who then is going to be paying out the compo which they will be entitled to? Just a thought[disgust]

darkman
03-Mar-07, 16:00
If the police did a crackdown on the poopers then what is the answer to the allegation that they aren't utilising their time efficiently towards catching the real criminals?:roll:
They do not need to rheghead as that is the responsibility of the dog warden and she has to catch them before they can be prosecuted, not as easy as it seems.

Rheghead
03-Mar-07, 16:01
Ahh,but (what if they catch an illness from this activity? Who then is going to be paying out the compo which they will be entitled to? Just a thought[disgust]

Probably the same people who payout for industrial injuries for people who should do it as part of their job.

Darkman, the police do have powers to report people for the offences ocurred through dog fouling.

connieb19
03-Mar-07, 16:05
Probably the same people who payout for industrial injuries for people who should do it as part of their job.
Well surely it's better them doing it than me, at least they'll get compensation, I wont. [evil]

bky
03-Mar-07, 20:23
the owner is responsible for picking up their dog muck - if they cant get some one to clean up the streets why not get them thats doing community service to do it - preferably using their tongues instead of shovels

justine
03-Mar-07, 20:40
I agree.I get up everyday to find dog crap all over my front garden.I have children who, like to play and i worry about what they may catch,But the worst of it is some dirty get keeps throwing their dog poop bags in aswell.There are dog bins for that not peoples front gardens.........But then what can i do except try to locate the owner and deposit the bags in their gardens...

Buttercup
03-Mar-07, 20:53
It's really annoying me that us people who chose not to have a dog still have to go out and clear up after other peoples pets. Anyone caught not clearing up should be baned from keeping dogs at all. [evil]
I choose not to have a cat but my garden seems to be the neighbourhood cat litter tray! [mad]

danc1ngwitch
03-Mar-07, 20:56
OK then, what happens when its a cat wea a butt on it like a dog that is crappin in our gardens... Laugh as you may, i jest you not, that i thought it was a dog and i tell you it was a cat...
A cat has right to wander, not a thing you can do about it.
There is nothing worse than when you get it on the wheels of your buggy/pram ewwwwwwww

caroline
03-Mar-07, 21:30
Same here Buttercup cats never seem to use their own garden always someone elses. Guess what we are left to clean it.

Cinders392
03-Mar-07, 21:32
I was just thinking about this last week when I was in Thurso. I have 2 dogs and always pick up after them. Even if I dont have the bags(which are given out free in the watten shop)Ill find rubbish( which is also abundant in littering the streets) to pick it up with ie crisp packet. People shouldnt have dogs if they wont pick up after them. Especially now a days. It really annoys me seeing dog pooh dont the pavement.

sweep
03-Mar-07, 21:46
i often come across used poo bags on pathways etc. what are you dog-owners playing at. also my friend said she PRETENDS to pick up after her dog if someone is around....irresponsible......

The_man_from_del_monte
03-Mar-07, 21:52
pick it up with ie crisp packet.

Maybe they could start a clean up campaign with Gary Lineker in the ad walking about the streets picking up dog droppings with a crisp packet :D

Maybe that's why they call them "walkers crisps" short for "dog walkers crisps"

I personally, if I had a dog, would pick them up with my fingers (unless they were moist) way too much plastic ends up in the landfill sites as it is. Either that or I'd get a stick with a spike on the end, you know like one of those things the park keepers used to use..... even a pair of tongs.

darkman
03-Mar-07, 22:03
Maybe they could start a clean up campaign with Gary Lineker in the ad walking about the streets picking up dog droppings with a crisp packet :D

Maybe that's why they call them "walkers crisps" short for "dog walkers crisps"

I personally, if I had a dog, would pick them up with my fingers (unless they were moist) way too much plastic ends up in the landfill sites as it is. Either that or I'd get a stick with a spike on the end, you know like one of those things the park keepers used to use..... even a pair of tongs.
As long as you don't use your teeth.[lol]

The_man_from_del_monte
03-Mar-07, 22:08
As long as you don't use your teeth.[lol]

If I did I'd be sure to steep them in steradent before they went back into my mouth, that's for sure http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/smilies/whistling2.gif

johno
03-Mar-07, 22:12
I agree.I get up everyday to find dog crap all over my front garden.I have children who, like to play and i worry about what they may catch,But the worst of it is some dirty get keeps throwing their dog poop bags in aswell.There are dog bins for that not peoples front gardens.........But then what can i do except try to locate the owner and deposit the bags in their gardens...
aye my son did that once to a guy that lives round the corner . he made sure the guy saw him returning it but the guy thought better of going out to him. well if you seen the size o my lad.[evil]

Julia
03-Mar-07, 22:24
It's really inconsiderate not to pick up your own dog's poo, the council service points give away free poo bags so there really is no excuse!

The street I live in can be quite minging with poo at times and one particular neighbour used to allow his dog (more like a small pony) to crap in my driveway every morning until the council got a hold of him!

If you can't or won't pick up poo then don't have a dog! [evil]

The_man_from_del_monte
03-Mar-07, 22:43
http://www.audiogeddon.com/poopscoop.gif

The_man_from_del_monte
03-Mar-07, 22:51
For those who don't know how to do it it's easy..... just follow the diagrams:

http://www.audiogeddon.com/poop1.jpg http://www.audiogeddon.com/poop2.jpg

connieb19
03-Mar-07, 23:02
I've yet to hear someone admit to NOT picking up after their dog. There's plenty of them out there but no-one ever owns up. [disgust]

sam
03-Mar-07, 23:31
For those who don't know how to do it it's easy..... just follow the diagrams:

http://www.audiogeddon.com/poop1.jpg http://www.audiogeddon.com/poop2.jpg

fine way to keep yer hands warm in this cold weather

The_man_from_del_monte
04-Mar-07, 00:55
fine way to keep yer hands warm in this cold weather

Doubles up as a good alternative to a hot water bottle too ;)

The_man_from_del_monte
04-Mar-07, 01:00
And if you fancy some doggie merchandise in the form of soap etc. then look no further! http://www.liquidass.com/store/home.php?cat=2 They even accept Paypal...... superb :D

rfr10
04-Mar-07, 15:24
I also, don't see the point in these signs on lamp posts saying that there will be a fine of £500 if you dont pick up after your dog.. or was it £50.. can't remember. They are just there to try and make people think "Oh I better pick it up" but has anyone actually been fined for it?

JimH
04-Mar-07, 21:35
OK then, what happens when its a cat wea a butt on it like a dog that is crappin in our gardens... Laugh as you may, i jest you not, that i thought it was a dog and i tell you it was a cat...
There is nothing worse than when you get it on the wheels of your buggy/pram ewwwwwwww
Get a Dog!

Dog Warden
05-Mar-07, 11:04
In response to comments posted just to let everyone know that if there is an area that is particuliarly bad with dog foul, then if you phone tec services in wick on 01955 607737 we can arrange to have the pavements cleaned.

Also feel free to contact me via office on above number, or by pm if there is an area that is bad i will step up patrolling if possible.

In response to people being fined i can confirm that i have no hesitation in issuing fixed penalties and only wish that i could name and shame offenders but unfortunately i am unable to.

darkman
05-Mar-07, 12:57
I choose not to have a cat but my garden seems to be the neighbourhood cat litter tray! [mad] Buy some lions urine, no cat will go near your garden again:

http://www.predatorpee.com/

marlyn
05-Mar-07, 14:17
I am mad (angry not stupid - although some may disagree!) my daughter has just come out of nursery at pennyland school, walked through dog poo and got it all over the car seats. GRRRRRR makes you so angry, I hate cleaning poo off shoes. BTW we have a dog and always pick up the poo.

Imagine letting your dog poop outside the school gates and just leaving it, it just beggars belief - some people!

jings00
05-Mar-07, 16:51
the only time i dont pick up my dog poo is if it is a bit skittery and there is nothing you can grab on to, sometimes it is just too liquidy, but then usually it is just a toty wee bit when it is like that.(i'll try but it generally just smears on the pavement then)

The_man_from_del_monte
05-Mar-07, 17:01
the only time i dont pick up my dog poo is if it is a bit skittery and there is nothing you can grab on to, sometimes it is just too liquidy, but then usually it is just a toty wee bit when it is like that.(i'll try but it generally just smears on the pavement then)

Looks at dinner and thinks "maybe Mince and tatties wasn't such a good idea after all" http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/smilies/shock.gif

carasmam
05-Mar-07, 17:41

I know what you mean, sometimes it is nigh impossible when its a 'weet' one. But what can you do? Start chapping on doors for a bucket of hot water? Wonder how people would react if someone knocked on their door for that reason hmmm:confused

ginajade
05-Mar-07, 20:14
we have the same problem with cats here in the town. I used to live on a croft with 7 cats. All rescue barn cats. Each one would cover up it's business. i now live in the town with no pets and find it amazing the size of the muck these cats leave in my garden and the fact they make no attempt to cover up, just leave it steaming in full view on my lawn. Are country cats cleaner?

mickey boy
06-Mar-07, 20:38
I entirely agree. Some of the dog owners in West Gills seem to think that the open plan front gardens are for walking their dogs and allowing them to foul. I am fed up picking up dogs' dirt from my front garden.[evil]

poppett
06-Mar-07, 22:25
Sadly I no longer own dogs as I am unable to exercise them properly due to illness. However when I did have dogs I cleaned up after them, in fact I had one "lassie type" who did her duty in a corner of our garden before she went out, and if she needed to go once we were out she would "ask" to go and do so where shown. My ex reckoned I should have trained her to poo into the bag and save stooping.
A new neighbour let her dog out the other day, it ran to my dad`s doorstep and pooed. She watched me go for the bucket of hot water and disinfectant to put it away, and did not even apologise. If it happens again she will be cleaning up the mess herself.....no question about that.