PDA

View Full Version : Drivers Using Mobile Phones

Penelope Pitstop
02-Mar-07, 11:05
Good morning everyone,

I've heard from a few folk at work today that addtional police have been brought in to seek out folk using their mobile phones whilst driving. Also looking for non seat belt wearers.

It makes sense to belt up and leave you mobile in your pocket whilst driving (unless you have a hands free of course:D )

Have a good weekend.

darkman
02-Mar-07, 11:08
About time, driving with any sort of distraction is stupid and dangerous.

pedromcgrory
02-Mar-07, 11:54
Good morning everyone,

I've heard from a few folk at work today that addtional police have been brought in to seek out folk using their mobile phones whilst driving. Also looking for non seat belt wearers.

It makes sense to belt up and leave you mobile in your pocket whilst driving (unless you have a hand held of course:D )

Have a good weekend.
there force could be better used i think dont you,maybe springpark area after vandalismn etc its common sence and after all its u who its going to effect if ya dont wear a seat belt its you the driver thats going to suffer maybe death ?and if i you get caught on mobile penaltey points or spot fines maybe both ,mmm police up here waste money ,after reading wot u wrote there extra police could do more jobs to benefit community,hand held is a mobile fone dont u mean bluetooth ear connection

wifie
02-Mar-07, 11:59
Surely if the idiots using the mobiles whilst driving stopped doing it the Police could be better employed! Seems obvious really.

darkman
02-Mar-07, 12:03
there force could be better used i think dont you,maybe springpark area after vandalismn etc its common sence and after all its u who its going to effect if ya dont wear a seat belt its you the driver thats going to suffer maybe death ?and if i you get caught on mobile penaltey points or spot fines maybe both ,mmm police up here waste money ,after reading wot u wrote there extra police could do more jobs to benefit community,hand held is a mobile fone dont u mean bluetooth ear connection
If you use a mobile, read a paper, whatever, it may not only be the driver that suffers, what about pedestrians and other drivers.
Vandalism is pretty hard to conquer especially when those doing the vadalising have no pride whatsoever in the town, villages or cities they live in.

lassieinfife
02-Mar-07, 12:10
Watched a program on TV, in test conditions it took a driver on a mobile phone longer to react and stop than a drunk driver.......... just goes to show with all the idiots out there,one or the other of them bound to hit somebody,personally I would ban both types of drivers for life[evil]

pedromcgrory
02-Mar-07, 12:22
If you use a mobile, read a paper, whatever, it may not only be the driver that suffers, what about pedestrians and other drivers.
Vandalism is pretty hard to conquer especially when those doing the vadalising have no pride whatsoever in the town, villages or cities they live in.
compare the odds to vandalismn mmm

darkman
02-Mar-07, 12:41
compare the odds to vandalismn mmm
The odds would be in favour of of an act of vandalism to occur but car accidents can kill people and it's a more important issue than vandalism in my opinion.

Angela
02-Mar-07, 12:52
The odds would be in favour of of an act of vandalism to occur but car accidents can kill people and it's a more important issue than vandalism in my opinion.

I think so too.

IMO it's a good use of police time right now, with the increased fine and points on your licence, to reinforce the message that it's illegal to use a hand-held mobile phone while driving.

It needs to be considered just as socially unacceptable as drink-driving.

Kaishowing
02-Mar-07, 13:46
I've lost count of how many times I've seen someone with a mobile held to their ear while driving. After the huge publicity given to the introduction to the new law, I've never seen anyone suffer any consequences for breaking it.
It's about time that these drivers are forced to obey the law and make the roads as safe as possible,
Seat belts are another issue as the wearing of one will only have consequences on the individual. Personally I'm in favour of them, as they've saved the lives of myself and of family members in the past, but I've heard of valid arguments against wearing them too. I choose to wear one, and will ensure my son wears one when he's in the car too.

As for vandalism, aside from being a seperate issue, why is it a case of either/or? Why can't the public expect enforcement of all the laws? If the vandalism is especially bad in one area, petition for CCTV cameras, which will soon clean up an area, or what about Neighbourhood Watch schemes?
Why wait for the police to act when in reality all it would take is for some community spirit?
Do we have a social responsibility or not? If we see other people's property being destroyed do we just sit by and watch or ignore it as it has nothing to do with us?? Or do we report it and then agree to go on record for what we've seen?
I would hope that if it was my property, someone wouldn't turn a blind eye through apathy or fear. If sufficiant people say enough is enough, I think the yobs will find themselves outnumbered hundreds to one.

About time the mobile phone law was enforced.
In two minds about the seat belt laws.
Victims of vandalism deserve equal attention, but could do more to help themselves.(speaking from experience)

flash
02-Mar-07, 15:13
I partly agree with Pedro that resources could be directed in different directions but I remember from the Springpark vandalism thread that the police caught the people responsible.

noodle
02-Mar-07, 16:01
I've lost count of how many times I've seen someone with a mobile held to their ear while driving. After the huge publicity given to the introduction to the new law, I've never seen anyone suffer any consequences for breaking it.

It's frustrating to see people doing it - and also quite scary when you are a pedestrian and the driver is in a truck going around a roundabout :eek:

Seat belts are another issue as the wearing of one will only have consequences on the individual. Personally I'm in favour of them, as they've saved the lives of myself and of family members in the past, but I've heard of valid arguments against wearing them too. I choose to wear one, and will ensure my son wears one when he's in the car too.

It's also worth remembering that if a passenger of a car isn't wearing a seatbelt, and are sitting in the back seat, they could potentially kill or seriously injure the person sat in front of them, if they (the non-seatbelt wearer) is flung forward in the car.

I suppose it is possible for someone flying through the windscreen of a car because they aren't wearing a belt could potentially injure someone else too.

I've seen the results of someone being involved in a car accident who was obviously not wearing a seatbelt - they were smeared (sp?) all over the motorway. It's not nice.

Humerous Vegetable
02-Mar-07, 16:44
I have been driving for over 30 years all over the UK and I have never seen so many drivers with mobiles clamped to their ears than in Thurso. A woman nearly backed into me at the doctor's surgery a couple of weeks ago because she was so busy yacking on her phone, and a guy was behind me on his phone all the way from Castletown to Mt Pleasant yesterday in a heavy sleet storm, and overtaking on the way!!!! I'm going to report the next one I see, now that the police are actually going to do something about it.

MadPict
02-Mar-07, 20:22
There is no excuse for using a phone while driving - hands free kits are available at very low prices and most new phones come with a BT earpiece if you twist the phone suppliers arm.
I don't think £60 and 3 points is severe enough - I was nearly taken out a few weeks ago by a trucker talking on the phone doing 60 mph on a dual carriageway. £1000 fine and 8 points or even a ban would be more like a deterrent....

dozerboy
02-Mar-07, 20:29
why are truckers allowed to use their CB's while driving - the mic is hand held also? Surely just as much of a distraction for them, and they have more gear changes to think about, and greater stopping distances

emszxr
02-Mar-07, 20:36
why are truckers allowed to use their CB's while driving - the mic is hand held also? Surely just as much of a distraction for them, and they have more gear changes to think about, and greater stopping distances

so they can warn their fellow truckers as to where the police are hiding so they can slow down to 40mph :)

Cattach
03-Mar-07, 11:36

Maybe true as far as belts are concerned but people using mobile phones have killed others with their use while driving.

Hope a few of the many who drive around Thurso everyday using a mobile phone have been caught though I doubt it as the will does not seem to be there from the police nor the morons that do it.

johno
03-Mar-07, 12:39
the law is there to protect all off us. wearing a seat belt saves lives
using a moble phone whilst driving distracts concentration & can cause accidents. im sure if any of us were to be hit by some car while the driver was on the phone we would be pretty angry about it [if we were still alive that is] accident stastistics prove this] so why do som,e of us still flout the law on both these issues.
if you,r caught driving while on the phone or not belted up.

guilty no defence

highlander4
04-Mar-07, 01:02
I agree that people shouldn't be using their mobiles while driving but one more that one occassion i've seen the police doing this. I think that if we're not allowed to do it they shouldn't be either. Bluetooth is available to them aswell. It's not just mobiles that should be banned, taxi drivers using their radio's while driving is just like people using a phone.

JAWS
04-Mar-07, 01:30
Have the Dept of Transport issued any statistics indicating the number of accidents where Mobile Phones are known to be a major contributory factor?

Government Departments, especially the DoT are usually only to keen to bombard us with figures and statistics but they don't seem to have done so with respect to Mobile Phone use and Traffic Accidents.

I find the lack of such definite information rather strange.

Ricco
04-Mar-07, 09:20
There is no excuse for using a phone while driving - hands free kits are available at very low prices and most new phones come with a BT earpiece if you twist the phone suppliers arm.
I don't think £60 and 3 points is severe enough - I was nearly taken out a few weeks ago by a trucker talking on the phone doing 60 mph on a dual carriageway. £1000 fine and 8 points or even a ban would be more like a deterrent....

I quite agree, Madpict. I have even seen drivers yesterday with mobiles clamped to their ears. To be honest I think that £60 fine and 3 points is to lenient. The penalty should be the same as drink driving. As you say, blue-tooth hands free are so cheap nowadays.

badger
04-Mar-07, 10:30
What is this need to talk while driving anyway? The only reason is a life-threatening emergency and even then it would be better to stop first if possible. I keep my mobile on the seat beside me and if it rings drive on to a parking space and then phone back. It's not difficult and only a tiny bit inconvenient, especially if close friends/family know this is what you do.

sam
04-Mar-07, 11:42
Maybe if they had the threat of a 6 months ban for the first time offence it would make them think again before using them.
I often wonder how someone would feel if they caused a serious accident whilst chatting on their mobile or is it that they really just dont care.:~(
On Friday alone whilst waiting for a lift to work i counted 5 people using their phones when driving so the threat of a £60 fine and 3 points obviously means nothing to some[disgust]

MadPict
04-Mar-07, 17:58
The police drive around in high visibilty cars - easily spotted by the phone toting driver - they just drop the phone until the risk of being nabbed has passed.
The footage of drivers happily chatting away as a police car pulls alongside and films them at it, just goes to show how distracting it is.
Perhaps the speed camera vans should be changed to the role of catching drivers on the phone?...

dragonfly
04-Mar-07, 18:16
completely agree that its time the police clamped down on them!

What scares me the most are the spotty faced, baseball capped, Corsa & Saxo drivers who drive up and down Ormlie Road, slouched to the side of the seat so the door props them up,one arm slung over the wheel, elbow resting on the window and other hand is texting!!! [evil] - I've seen this happen umpteen times while out walking my dogs! feel like throwing a stone at the car to make them sit up and pay attention :eek:

weeboyagee
04-Mar-07, 18:21
Lot of good points on here. I agree that the fines should be heavier for those caught, then it will teach them a hard lesson. You will never change the mind of those who currently use mobiles whilst driving whilst they think that they will never cause an accident because of it - regardless of the penalty.

However, we talk without holding onto a phone whilst other people are in the car - a heck of a lot of us hold on to the steering wheel with one hand - others amongst us will drink from bottles, eat sandwiches etc. Those of us who sit and think that the moble phone user whilst driving is a curse on the road may just be looking at how holy we are because we don't when we are guilty of other like-minded offences that have not yet been covered by legislation - so do we bring out more legislation to curb our other bad driving habits and set more police to catch the law breakers? How many of you change CD's, tune radios, etc, etc, are you all saying you concentrate more than the mobile phone user - who is constantly watching the road whilst talking on the phone???? What's the greater wrong other than the one legislated against?

WBG

weeboyagee
04-Mar-07, 18:33
....and whilst I remember, how many of you have nearly put the car off the road whilst trying to deal with your children whilst driving??? You know the worst of it - how many of the mutli-talented young drivers who seem to very capable at multi-tasking as dragonfly so quaintly put it, are a dashed site more competent than the old battle axes that have nearly put me and others off the road because of their inability to handle a car beyond 20mph??? Oh ye wha are sae guid yersels sae pious an' sae holie....... yer great at seeing the twig in some other folks eyes without seeing the log in your own. You only believe that you are good law abiding citizens because you don't have bad habits that are not specifically legislated against - but what of those of you who have bad habits that SHOULD BE legislated against! Hmmm,......it's a thought isn't it.

Oh, sorry, by the way - I really didn't mean that all old folks driving cars are battleaxes - but then I am sure that dragonfly didn't mean that all Corsa and Saxo drivers are spotty faced and wear baseball caps - even though dragonfly didn't post it that way or look to make it anything other than a prejudicial swipe at that "type" of driver - eh now????

MadPict
04-Mar-07, 18:35
WBG,
Those 'other' offences are covered by "driving without due care and attention" maybe even "reckless/dangerous driving"?. People have been prosecuted for eating/drinking whilst driving under that piece of legislation. It's a catch all I know, but one used a lot.

There are some 'activities' which are now catered for by the inclusion of steering wheel controls - adjusting volume, changing station even CD if you have a CD changer.

But using a phone has been cited as the cause of many accidents whereas eating an apple hasn't. Drivers reading the roadmap/directions whilst doing 50 or 60 are just as reckless - if you're lost then what is wrong with pulling over to read the map? Just like ignoring the phone call until it's safe to talk....

dragonfly
04-Mar-07, 18:41
but then I am sure that dragonfly didn't mean that all Corsa and Saxo drivers are spotty faced and wear baseball caps - even though dragonfly didn't post it that way or look to make it anything other than a prejudicial swipe at that "type" of driver - eh now????

not at all, I myself am a corsa driver, but no longer have the spots or the baseball cap ;)

Kaishowing
04-Mar-07, 18:46
However, we talk without holding onto a phone whilst other people are in the car...

That's why hands-free kits are legal.

others amongst us will drink from bottles, eat sandwiches etc.

If spotted by the police, then you'll get pulled over for doing those too!

Fiddling with the car stereo has caused quite a few accidents I'm sure....but most people wait for a clear stretch of road to even consider to do that (doesn't make it right, but true)....But if you're talking on a mobile, you're carrying on a conversation while driving one handed through all road conditions and situations, not confining yourself to talking on just a clear bit of road.
If you've ever seen one of those Police Camera shows, then you know just how stupid people can be when they drive, the most outlandish are normally shown over the closing titles, but by far the most common distraction is talking on the phone.
It's also the newest inclusion to the 'Driving Withought Due Care And Attention' law, and this seems to be the first real effort from the Police to enforce it, at least locally.
Anything that makes the roads safer for all deserves support especially in an area that has a level of traffic that seems to encourage lazy/poor/careless driving from a few road users spoling it for the rest of us.

JAWS
04-Mar-07, 20:27
The number of Road Fatalities has remained fairly stable over the last 15 years at around 3,200 each year. For much of that fifteen years the use of Mobile Phones was tiny compared with what it is now.

According to the BBC, the Department of Transport figures for the causes of Deaths on the Road during 2005 breaks down as follows
Losing control 35%
Going too fast for conditions 17%
Failing to look properly 17%
Turning or manoeuvring poorly 12%
Exceeding speed limit 12%
Other causes not mentioned 7%

During 2006 there were 13 Road Deaths where a driver was using a Mobile Phone which would work out at around two and a half per cent of Road Deaths.
Of course, that figure only covers the fact that the driver was using a Mobile Phone and would not appear to indicate that the phone use was responsible for the Accident.

The figures would certainly appear to indicate that Mobile Phone use has neither increased the number of Road deaths or is a major cause of them.
It would certainly seem that the Government, having no idea of how to reduce the number of such deaths have simply resorted to the old tried and tested method of “Lets pretend we know what to do about it, just tell them anything you can get them to swallow!”

MadPict
04-Mar-07, 20:38
Accidents which could have mobile phone use as a contributing factor:
Losing control 35% (due to having one hand holding phone)
Going too fast for conditions 17% (not paying full attention to primary task i.e. driving the car due to using phone)
Failing to look properly 17% (Due to driver talking on phone)
Turning or manoeuvring poorly 12% (Attributable to driver not having full control of vehicle)
Exceeding speed limit 12% (Not paying attention to posted speed limit signs due to talking to mate on phone)
Other causes not mentioned 7% (Talking/texting on phone, eating/drinking, applying make up, reading roadmap/directions, cramming on todays sales figures....)

No-one in their right mind is going to admit they crashed due to them using a phone.....

JimH
04-Mar-07, 21:32
About time, driving with any sort of distraction is stupid and dangerous.
What shall I do with the wife?

Bobinovich
04-Mar-07, 21:50
I agree that people shouldn't be using their mobiles while driving but on more that one occassion i've seen the police doing this. I think that if we're not allowed to do it they shouldn't be either. Bluetooth is available to them aswell.

Have seen this for myself - they most definately should be leading by example.

JAWS
04-Mar-07, 23:15
No Mad Pict, the statistics relate to the total of all the Road Deaths in 2005 which total around 3.200 and not those involving Mobile Phones.

In 2006 there were a total of 13 Road Deaths involving Mobile Phone use out of the same figure of around 3,200 Road Deaths from all causes.. Of the 13 there is no indication as to what contribution the phone usage made towards the accident, if any.

The 13 Deaths amount to around two and a half per cent of all Road Deaths. The other percentages mentioned, the 35% plus the two 17% and 12% relate to accidents other than those where Mobile Phones were involved in any way whatsoever.

Of the 13 Deaths it is quite possible that the use of a Mobile Phone played either none or no significant part at all. Indeed, there is nothing in the figures to indicate that the driver using the Phone was the person responsible for the accident. It is, in fact, quite possible that the driver using the Mobile Phone was the innocent party in the whole thing.

The point I am making is that, contrary to the "Message" constantly being given out by the Government, Mobile Phones would appear to play only a very small part in relation to causes of either Accidents or Road Deaths.

MadPict
04-Mar-07, 23:17
Do you mean using 2 way radios? If so, they are not covered by the phone laws.

The use of 2-way radio equipment (unless the device can also be used as a phone) when driving is not included in the new offence, but remember there is still a risk of distraction and prosecution under other powers.

Bobinovich
05-Mar-07, 00:00
That makes no sense whatsoever - they're still a distraction and should be classed along the same as mobiles. I cannot see any logical reason why they're not!!

JAWS
05-Mar-07, 00:58
So are talkative passengers and, even worse, bored small children in a car. Perhaps they should be banned also.

Valerie Campbell
05-Mar-07, 13:30
I think the police should stakeout Watten in the weekday mornings between 8.30 and 10. They would catch numerous drivers with their mobiles pinned to their ears. I've seen many accidents waiting to happen because a simple phone call couldn't wait until the driver stopped somewhere safe. The children crossing to the school where the lollipop lady stands are safe but it's the ones who cross elsewhere that I fear will one day be hit by a driver talking on his mobile.

dozerboy
05-Mar-07, 13:56
I think the police should stakeout Watten in the weekday mornings between 8.30 and 10. They would catch numerous drivers with their mobiles pinned to their ears. I've seen many accidents waiting to happen because a simple phone call couldn't wait until the driver stopped somewhere safe. The children crossing to the school where the lollipop lady stands are safe but it's the ones who cross elsewhere that I fear will one day be hit by a driver talking on his mobile.

Well said - many a driver spotted with phone pinned between the ear and shoulder while driving (or trying to) the big 4x4 - surely these arrogant people can afford a hands free??

Rheghead
05-Mar-07, 13:59
I can't it is just 4x4 drivers, perhaps other prejudices are creeping into the debate?;)

dozerboy
05-Mar-07, 14:00
of course it's not just 4x4 drivers, and perhaps other prejudices are creeping in here - so what??? My point being, basically if you can afford a 4x4 you can afford a handsfree system - thats relevant to the topic is it not?

Jeemag_USA
05-Mar-07, 14:04
Good morning everyone,

It makes sense to belt up and leave you mobile in your pocket whilst driving (unless you have a hands free of course:D )

Have a good weekend.

You should think yourself lucky, over in the states they are so backward they don't even have a law for it yet. But in Indiana they are talking about making it illegal here soon, but not just for drivers, but for walkers as well. Apparently there have been about 2700 deaths involving instances of drivers using cellphones in Indiana in the last few years, now to me that is a lot of deaths (american statisticians would call this a "wee puckle"), I think 100 deaths proven to be caused by phones is enough to pass a law never mind 2700. I am sick and tired of todays cellphone dependent brain dead people. When you get in your car shut the damn thing off, or if you do get a call pull over safely and answer it, or put a straight to voive mail message on there saying your in transit.

They are also talking about making it law for people to be staionary whilst using a phone, if you bump into someone on the street or cause any kind of related accident in public due to not paying proper attention you can be charged.

Also they are thinking of making a law on Ipods too, if you are in a public street or any thoroughfare where there is traffic or people congestion you maybe charged for wearing them or running with them, you might from now on have to do this only in a park or place dedicated for walking, cycling or running. Apparently there have been a bunch of accidents attributed to Ipods, and I know they are going to make it illegal to wear an ipod in a car whilst driving because in Indiana its law to pull over to thr right and stop when you hear an emergency vehicle siren, and people using headphones in cars do not even hear them coming.

I can't wait for the new laws, I am a self confessed cell phone hater!!!! The next time I am stuckat a green light because the person in front is finishing their conversation and not looked at the lights, I want them to go to jail!!! [evil]

Hands free should also be illegal, you cannot pay proper attention to your driving and to others around you if your involved in a conversation which is blocking one ear from hearing anything else.

MadPict
05-Mar-07, 14:31
The 'iPod oblivion' law is actually only being introduced in one place right now - Albany NY

Legislation will be introduced in Albany on Wednesday to lay a $100 fine on pedestrians succumbing to what State Sen. Carl Kruger calls iPod oblivion.
Source... (http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_037234835.html)

And this is such a nanny state piece of legislation it beggars belief - is everyone using a mobile phone while crossing the street going to get a fine? Texting? Eating? Drinking? All activities which take you mind off the task at hand...
Jaywalking is an offence which attracts a fine - how many people actually get fined in the likes of NY for jaywalking? I have seen people dong it in front of cops and they don't get stopped.

In the US people drive to work in the mornings clutching pitchers of hot coffee, munching on doughnuts/donuts, talking on their phones - it seems to be the commuters way of life - breakfast on the move.

Rheghead
05-Mar-07, 14:38
of course it's not just 4x4 drivers, and perhaps other prejudices are creeping in here - so what??? My point being, basically if you can afford a 4x4 you can afford a handsfree system - thats relevant to the topic is it not?

You didn't make that clear and in any event it isn't relevent whether 4x4 drivers should be able to pay for 'handsfree' kits, what is relevent is the affordability of 'handsfree kits' for all drivers.

If a 4x4 and handsfree kit owner was reading your post then it would look fairly stupid in their eyes. And your throw away comment just provided a route for this important thread/subject to be hijacked.

darkman
05-Mar-07, 15:50
The 'iPod oblivion' law is actually only being introduced in one place right now - Albany NY

And this is such a nanny state piece of legislation it beggars belief - is everyone using a mobile phone while crossing the street going to get a fine? Texting? Eating? Drinking? All activities which take you mind off the task at hand...
Jaywalking is an offence which attracts a fine - how many people actually get fined in the likes of NY for jaywalking? I have seen people dong it in front of cops and they don't get stopped.

In the US people drive to work in the mornings clutching pitchers of hot coffee, munching on doughnuts/donuts, talking on their phones - it seems to be the commuters way of life - breakfast on the move.
They should ban any activity that spoils your concentration whilst driving.

Penelope Pitstop
05-Mar-07, 16:00

Would that include listening to the radio or music?:confused

darkman
05-Mar-07, 16:03
Would that include listening to the radio or music?:confusedNo, I mean anything that stops you having two hands on the steering wheel, saying that maybe we should gaffer tape the kids mouths closed on car journeys.[lol]

Angela
05-Mar-07, 16:09
Would that include listening to the radio or music?

If so, it would surely also include a ban on using handsfree kits -they may keep your hands free for driving, but it's still a mental distraction.

I've always found certain kinds of music soothing to drive along to, the same goes for some radio programmes...and other kinds of music good for helping me concentrate if I'm tired on a long drive, especially in the dark.

But then you can choose to listen or not...whereas incoming phone calls can be disconcerting/upsetting/annoying...and make you really stressed...and that doesn't improve anybody's driving....:(

Angela
05-Mar-07, 16:12
No, I mean anything that stops you having two hands on the steering wheel, saying that maybe we should gaffer tape the kids mouths closed on car journeys.[lol]

I certainly had to stop the car a few times when my three were small - and YELL at them. After a while they got the message.:)

Penelope Pitstop
05-Mar-07, 16:19
No, I mean anything that stops you having two hands on the steering wheel, saying that maybe we should gaffer tape the kids mouths closed on car journeys.

Know what you mean.......:lol:

Roll of duck tape[lol] lol

MadPict
05-Mar-07, 17:18

I don't disagree - but stopping folk from listening to music when they walk is a stupid law.

Walking along. Stop at crossing. Remove earphones. Wait for green man. Cross road. Replace earphones. Carry on walking...[lol]

Torvaig
05-Mar-07, 17:36
Would that include listening to the radio or music?:confused

I must admit, if traffic is heavy I switch off my radio to enable me to concentrate better...... it's an age thing! ;)

Torvaig
05-Mar-07, 17:38

And that's the passengers gone for a Burton!;) Especially the chatty one...

darkman
05-Mar-07, 17:40
I don't disagree - but stopping folk from listening to music when they walk is a stupid law.

Walking along. Stop at crossing. Remove earphones. Wait for green man. Cross road. Replace earphones. Carry on walking...[lol]
"The green man is flashing, you may now remove your I-pod".[lol]

Penelope Pitstop
05-Mar-07, 20:32
I must admit, if traffic is heavy I switch off my radio to enable me to concentrate better...... it's an age thing! ;)
I know what you mean....when there's heavy traffic, or your trying to figure out which lane you should be in it's best turned down/off.....and I'm a woman - they're well known for being able to multi task[lol] lol

Angela
05-Mar-07, 20:55
I know what you mean....when there's heavy traffic, or your trying to figure out which lane you should be in it's best turned down/off.....and I'm a woman - they're well known for being able to multi task[lol] lol

I'm the same...especially with a lot of traffic approaching a roundabout, it's a distraction.
Which is why I find it so strange how many drivers I've seen whirling round roundabouts, mobile phone clamped to ear...[evil]

Jeemag_USA
05-Mar-07, 22:04

You forgot putting on makeup and smoking a cigarette too. And I feel they should be arrested for them all. A car is a kiling machine with potential killers at the wheel. Ask some of the families of loved ones lost through reckless driving. Its a small thing to take away to save the taking of someones life. And unfortunately the idiocy is not confined to the USA, its international ;)

Jeemag_USA
05-Mar-07, 22:08
I remember in the 70's they were going to ban Snorkel Parkas because when kids zipped them all the way up they couldn't look left and right. I remember a particular make of dark blue nylon parka where the hooded part zipped right up and stuck out away from your face [lol]

Malcolmdog
08-Mar-07, 02:00
I don't agree that police should be used to target cell phone users, their skills are best used solving crimes, etc.

However, what is wrong with a citizens call in number. Works here in Vaughan, if you spot a driver on the cell and obviously not paying attention to their driving (constituting a danger on the highway) call in and report the licence. Handsfree work great - use them.

Eating in the car, well we spend soooo much time in our cars commuting back and forth to work, I am sure that we would starve to death if it was not for that perk - Drive through Tim Horton's for a coffee/ tea and a sandwich is one of life's necessities here in the City. Sad pace at which to live life - but a reality here.

lasher
08-Mar-07, 11:02
No, I mean anything that stops you having two hands on the steering wheel, saying that maybe we should gaffer tape the kids mouths closed on car journeys.[lol]
You mean all cars should be automatic, wouldn't be able to change gear without taking a hand off the wheel!

lasher
08-Mar-07, 11:08
Can anyone tell me the difference from talking on the phone while holdiong it or with handsfree, is the loss of concentration not supposedley from the talking bit. I honestly can't see why having one hand on the wheel is a problem I normally drive with one hand on the wheel.

dozerboy
08-Mar-07, 13:40
Can anyone tell me the difference from talking on the phone while holdiong it or with handsfree, is the loss of concentration not supposedley from the talking bit. I honestly can't see why having one hand on the wheel is a problem I normally drive with one hand on the wheel.

In my car, the heating controls are down low infront of the gear lever, which is a great distraction when trying to adjust the heat settings. By the time I look down at the dim display, locate which button I wish to press, then press it and check the display to see if it did what I wanted it to do, then look back up at the road, a couple of seconds have passed, which could be enough for me not to be able to stop in time, if a car in front on a motorway had stopped for some reason (even keeping the correct distance behind, as overall stopping distance doesn't allow an extra 2 seconds in case you are sorting the ventilation settings!) I have enough problems with this, without trying to use a mobile as well!! It can be a combination of the actual conversation and the actual holding of the phone that causes the lack of concentration and lack of having the vehicle in full control. The fact that we have to take a hand off the wheel to change gear is irrelevant, as once you pass your test and are on your own, changing gear becomes "automatic" and you don't look at the gear lever like you would look at your mobile to find the number you wanted to dial. Most gear changes would be maybe around a second (assuming your syncromesh works properly), although trucks with a manual box take longer sometimes as you have to let the revs drop down before you can shift.