PDA

View Full Version : cruise ship

euan the driver
30-Mar-14, 09:18
it it just me or did anyone else think that cruise boat came very very close to thurso beach yesterday.

David Banks
30-Mar-14, 21:55
What first springs to mind is that the captain may be a local.

I recall, many moons ago, a large vessel captained by a fellow originally from Dunnet taking his ship into the bay near Brough. From the Scarfskerry shore, it looked enormous.

No doubt, captains need a little bravado to do what they do, but the risk and shame of getting grounded should keep most of them at a safe distance.

golach
30-Mar-14, 22:07
The liner will have a local pilot on board, all will have been in hand

Stack Rock
30-Mar-14, 22:40
[QUOTE=David Banks;1076918]What first springs to mind is that the captain may be a local.

I recall, many moons ago, a large vessel captained by a fellow originally from Dunnet taking his ship into the bay near Brough. From the Scarfskerry shore, it looked enormous.

I'm sure he was a Capt MacKenzie who then moved to Wick. When passing through the firth from across the Atlantic he used to take a slight detour passing close by to Wick and sounded his horn.

Big Gaz
30-Mar-14, 23:16
So no chance of a certain Mr. Francesco Schettino's seagoing brother being in charge of it then? :eek:

sassylass
31-Mar-14, 16:56
So no chance of a certain Mr. Francesco Schettino's seagoing brother being in charge of it then? :eek:

my thoughts exactly