PDA

View Full Version : PS3 madness

Julia
02-Mar-07, 00:48
Anyone pre-ordered a PS3? My other half has and it's like watching a kid waiting for santa to arrive :lol:

If anyone from Sony happens to read this please don't postpone the launch date again, I don't know how much more I can take :eek:

Geo
02-Mar-07, 02:27
The rest of us are waiting until the price drops to a reasonable level. ;)

lab
02-Mar-07, 12:02
We pre ordered the wii and the build up to xmass was great was so looking forward to sons face he did not dissapoint went running round the house crying with excitment. But as with every thing else despite spending a fortune on games I cant remember the last time it was switched on.

*Martin*
02-Mar-07, 12:46
Your man is daft for paying so much for the ps3!!! Sony have completely screwed European gamers between the crazy price, delayed launches, low stock level that their will be and now the backwards compatability issue with ps2 games. They are giving us inferior equipment compared to the Japs and the Americans for a much higher price.

dirdyweeker
02-Mar-07, 22:01
http://youtube.com/watch?v=R98qC0fd_1w

thought this link might help some others who are undecided which games console to go for!

rfr10
02-Mar-07, 22:30
No way, not at the price it's at just now and.. I heard that to play it, you need high definition tv, is that true?

scorrie
02-Mar-07, 23:41
Do you want the truth about consoles?

Nintendo peaked with the N64 console, Sony Peaked with the PS1 and XBox was always a piddle poor version of PC games. Wow, I mean the BIG PS3 has a 60GB hard drive, phew which PC could ever aspire to that?

All that is twiddled is the graphics. These guys seem to have a 40 hour limit on how long you can expect to play a game for( if you are lucky) before you must move to the next "happinin" title.

90% plus of all PS2 games are kack, Gamecube is a little better. If you examine DS and Wii you will find an awful lot of dross and a few great games. I have no doubt whatever that the PS3 will have a few decent titles and an absolute shedload of crap sequels, ports, movie tie-ins etc and be a purchase that is like marriage. i.e. Repent at leisure.

The Spectrum was way more exciting!!

sweetpea
03-Mar-07, 01:05
I'd really like to get into games but don't have the reactions or wit. I tried the sims but kept wetting myself and my mum kept telling me off:~(

Metalattakk
03-Mar-07, 01:41
The Spectrum was way more exciting!!

Halleluhah. Sense at last.

The Sinclair Spectrum revolutionised computer games due to it's user-friendliness and the simplistic graphics and sound.

To create a great game, developers had to use their brains to devise a worthwhile game structure and an interesting, workable plot - after all, they couldn't fall back on the 'Flash! Bang!' pictures and sounds that are rife in modern day titles.

As with modern movies, modern computer games have fallen into the dubious trap of putting visuals and effects before creativity and storyline. It's easy to do, and the software developers aren't to blame.

It's the customer's lack of ambition and their readiness to accept the 'Flash!' and 'Bang!' (and the inevitable big-name studio tie-ins)that leads the software companies to release the dross they do.

Geo
04-Mar-07, 19:01
All games machines including the Spectrum have/had rubbish games. Likewise they all have/had great games. Plenty of modern games adhere to the gameplay first ideal.

bigjjuk
05-Mar-07, 10:57
I think that the xbox 360 is the best out. Cheaper then the PS3 and not that far behind in technolgy. I agree that all consoles have a rare few good games, and a load of cack. So just buy the good uns. I have haloII and battlefield 2. And when you play online the games are always different so no boredom there.
To play online for a year with xbox will cost you £39.99, which for a whole year of gaming isnt bad.

theone
05-Mar-07, 17:43
I think that the xbox 360 is the best out. Cheaper then the PS3 and not that far behind in technolgy. I agree that all consoles have a rare few good games, and a load of cack. So just buy the good uns. I have haloII and battlefield 2. And when you play online the games are always different so no boredom there.
To play online for a year with xbox will cost you £39.99, which for a whole year of gaming isnt bad.

XBOX 360 is cheaper, but if you want to watch HD movies you need to buy the add on at £130 quid, add to that the £40 fee for going online (the PS3 service is free) and suddenly it doesn't look that cheap.

Of course a lot of people won't be watching HD movies but for me thats what makes PS3 worth the cost, you won't find a HD DVD/blu-ray standalone player for less than £400.

As for cack games, of course there is, but even half a dozen good ones a year keeps me going.

I've got my one ordered!

Geo
05-Mar-07, 20:07
Sony have just announced a cheap standalone Blu-Ray player. I think the price is $599.

It's horses for courses though. I won't have a HD TV for years so HD DVD of either format is unnecessary to me. As such the XBox 360 would be my best option of the two as I can buy the add on HD-DVD player if I ever upgrade the TV. With the PS3 I would be forced to pay extra for something I don't need. Also with the PS3 losing so many game exclusives there doesn't seem to be enough of a gaming reason to have one...yet.

It's hard to see how Sony can offer a free online service as fully featured as the XBox 360's but time will tell. However given how many of Sony's PS3 claims have proved false it wouldn't surprise me if the online service does have a fee. If not then MS will probably follow suit.

Personally I don't have either system but for me the XBox 360 is by far the best option of the two.

Everyone should have a Wii though. :)

obiron
05-Mar-07, 21:11
i would love a ps3 but content to stick to the ps2 the now till the price comes down. the graphics for the x-box 360 look great but will stick with what i have the now. defo think that sony is ripping us off though. ridiculous really.

scorrie
06-Mar-07, 00:43
XBOX 360 is cheaper, but if you want to watch HD movies you need to buy the add on at £130 quid, add to that the £40 fee for going online (the PS3 service is free) and suddenly it doesn't look that cheap.

Of course a lot of people won't be watching HD movies but for me thats what makes PS3 worth the cost, you won't find a HD DVD/blu-ray standalone player for less than £400.

As for cack games, of course there is, but even half a dozen good ones a year keeps me going.

I've got my one ordered!

Oh Aye, if I remember correctly, one of the selling points of the PS2 was that it could play DVD's. It was well reported that the quality was cack and look now, a DVD player can be bought for £9.99!!

Good luck piddling away the money. This time next year they will be free with two packets of Rice Krispies ;o)

steeko
14-Mar-07, 16:08
If only they still made great games like Super Spy which was on the ZX Sprectrum.

Bloo
15-Mar-07, 12:05
Hey. Im a big fan of sony but PS2 was good until xbox came out. Xbox was better graphics and now 360 and PS3 have come out and i have a 360 and its much better. I could never see myself buying another computer because thats what the PS3 is. Also im waiting for the price to go down or at least wait a few months. 360 is superior. all the way. Im a gamer myself and the PS3 will be likely to be mine as im a gamer or i will wait until the next best thing. Believe it or not PS4 is in the making! and the date was prolonged because the inside hard drives melted. Anyone who disagrees with me is wrong because it came out in america first and more than half were returned. Wish everything was free[lol]

midi2304
15-Mar-07, 15:52
Me and my girlfriends current console list...

Gameboy Advance SP
Nintento DS
Nintendo DS Lite (Light Blue one imported from Japan)
PSP with harddrive
2 Gamecubes (we each had one before we met)
Old style PS2
New style PS2
XBox
XBox 360
Wii

Our PS3 is pre-ordered and we'll be at Virgin at midnight a week from now. (Denise works at Virgin and is in charge of games / DVDs at Virgin Megatore on Union Street Aberdeen).

Between us we have pretty much every console back to NES in storage. My love for consoles goes back pretty far to 90/91 when my Dad took me to Graham Beggs in Wick for a Mega Drive with Altered Beast (it was my birthday and Christmas for like 5 years - lol).

Before you all start having a go, myself and my girlfriend work very hard. We don't go out and drink often neither of us have ever smoked. We both love playing video games. As such, I'm not going to claim to be an authority figure but I do have a lot of experience and here are my opinions.

1) If you want straight-forward unadulterated fun without any 'big' gaming experiences, go for a Wii.

2) If you want those aforementioned 'big' experiences, and are on a bit of a budget, go for 360.

3) If money isn't an option and you want to show off that big telly (me and D have a 47" 1080 HD LCD :D) go for PS3. Yes, 90% of the games will be rubbish but 10% of hundreds and hundreds of titles is still a significant amount and a lot of the best titles will be PS3 exclusive.

Now I'm in the lucky position to be able to own all three. If I wasn't and I could only own one, having played all 3, it would be a very easy call. Go for the Wii. It's just fun. It reminds me of being a kid again and when I first started playing games.

Just my opinion.

PS - You have no idea how cool it is to see a computer games thread on the main thread page!

Geo
15-Mar-07, 16:05
Had my first go on a Wii last week and it was fantastic. so much fun. Looking forward to getting one. Will probably get a 360 or PS3 in a couple of years time when the prices have dropped, There are still loads of great games on the Xbox and Gamecube that I've not got yet.

Julia
04-Apr-07, 17:29
Not being a fan of game consoles and the like I have to say that I am very impressed with the new PS3, one of the top reasons being I can now sit in my living room viewing the org from my sofa! Thats only when I manage to wrestle the damn thing of him!

Surfing aside it is quite an impressive bit of kit, just like having another pc really.

Bobinovich
04-Apr-07, 22:22
Had in-laws on the phone earlier - they've just bought a PS3 today (for a surly ungrateful 15 year-old who, IMHO, really doesn't deserve it) but didn't get any games (:eek:), and also didn't realise that their old PS2 games wouldn't work on it [lol]!!!!

Anyway they were trying to connect it through the network port on their PC to go online and play games. I replied that I doubted it would work that way and that they'd probably require an ADSL Modem/Router to connect it through. Anybody know any different then please feel free to correct me.

I also explained, from recent experience setting up a Wii, that many online gaming platforms require you to enter credit/debit card details and will charge for playing (again feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) which kind of put them off - I don't think they'd trust said 15 year-old with free reign and I don't blame them.

Had to snigger a little - a £400+ lump of nothingness!

engiebenjy
04-Apr-07, 22:34
I connected my ps3 straight into router. Set up of online account took about 10 minutes (i still haven't entered any credit card details). At the moment, you can download Gran Turismo and basic Lemmings games for free!! I have never liked racing games, but am well addicted to GT now, when I get bored playing Sonic.

But yes, you do need to have a router with either an ethernet port free or wireless capability.