PDA

View Full Version : Autism/MMR/Mercury link not quite extinquished?

cliffhbuber
01-Mar-07, 05:05
Autism has become an epidemic in the US.
The latest stats (2 weeks ago) suggest that one of every 105 kids is getting some form of autism.
One of the large drug makers of vaccines for children's diseases has voluntarily taken mercury out of the vaccines.
Mercury has been used as a preservative for the vaccine.

The chemical world is again overtaking our knowledge of side affects.

Murdina Bug
01-Mar-07, 09:55
Mercury containing (thimerosal) MMR vaccines are NO LONGER USED in the UK. It was a concern I had after reading similar findings and queried it with the health workers when my son was due his MMR. She went to great lengths to answer all my questions and said that not only were they not used but when they were withdrawn all existing stocks were returned and replaced with non mercury containing vaccines.

Personally, I decided to go ahead with the MMR - I think that a lot of people are underestimating the devastating effects of measles, mumps and rubella and would rather that he was protected against them.

You can be sure that I watched him like a hawk after the MMR for any adverse changes though!! It is bound to pray on your mind but, on balance, I think it is better to vaccinate.

cuddlepop
01-Mar-07, 10:03
If anyone's interested there's information on www.autismconnect.org (http://www.autismconnect.org)
We firmly believe that this condition is in our case genetic but with enviromental/other causes as my other two children have no autism related problems.
My mother who at 69 will never get a diagnoses is on the spectrim,my 2nd brother and his second son have autism related conditions.As far as my mother can remember she had a "strange" aunty who suffered from nerves.
This increase in autism perhapse was alwas there:eek:

emszxr
01-Mar-07, 10:14
Mercury containing (thimerosal) MMR vaccines are NO LONGER USED in the UK. It was a concern I had after reading similar findings and queried it with the health workers when my son was due his MMR. She went to great lengths to answer all my questions and said that not only were they not used but when they were withdrawn all existing stocks were returned and replaced with non mercury containing vaccines.

Personally, I decided to go ahead with the MMR - I think that a lot of people are underestimating the devastating effects of measles, mumps and rubella and would rather that he was protected against them.

You can be sure that I watched him like a hawk after the MMR for any adverse changes though!! It is bound to pray on your mind but, on balance, I think it is better to vaccinate.

i agree totally. when my kids were getting their vaccines i did read up on it, but there was no question really that i wouldnt get them vaccinated. i would rather them have autism than the effects or worse from getting measles, mumps etc

i have heard of some mothers not vaccinating their kids at all and although it is their decision, i personally dont think it is the right one.

davem
02-Mar-07, 13:56
Quote - Rubella is a mere malaise and is only dangerous to pregnant women. In my view, it is a womans responsibility to decide if they will vaccinate themselves during their child bearing ages.

I know that the whole immunisation/vaccination issue has been handled really poorly. I do not believe that the whole scientific community is conspiring to poison the population. I think the jury is still out on many of the issues you raise, what worries is this assertion that I quote above, have you ever met someone with brain damage due to rubella? - profound disabilities, deafness and blindness; their and their parents lives are affected more than you could imagine.

The whole programme depends on "herd Immunity" ie the vaccinations working, so that the incidence of the disease is reduced. Your choice not to immunise, (perectly understandable given the experience of many people who have children who are vaccine damaged) is easier because so many people have immunuty and thus the illness is far less likely to occur and because of that your child is at less risk.

Most of the concerns about MMR were/are about the shear load it places on the immune sytem all at once, I do think there is an arguement for offering single vaccines, and despite the rarity of severe effects from the diseases targetted, ask parents whose children have been affected.

There are kids who are damaged by vaccines, I think more work should go on identifying the few who are likely to be affected badly and target them for either single vaccines or add them to the significant number who are not vaccinated but protected none the less because so many others are.

Sorry to go on, most of the time I am happy to read and rarely feel the need to comment. This is an arguement I have had to consider carefully and hopefully impartially as a parent and in my working life. There is always more than one side to an arguement and despite my thinking that all possible sources of harm should be researched without influence from commercial pressures; you should not be so set in your thinking as to think that the avoidance of babies being rubella damaged should be the responsibility solely of mothers who might not be thinking of motherhood whilst in their first 3 months! Accidents happen.

cuddlepop
02-Mar-07, 15:28
I'm going to have to tread very carefully here so I dont get too upset.:eek:
My own life revolves around a young teanager who has Aspergers.I would not want or wish another parent to go through what i have and will continue to do so,perhapse unnecessarily.
I believe autism is genetic and a person can be preconditioned to recieve the mutition if there are other factors.In our case we feel it was a
compromised immune system.My daughter had cardiac sugery to correct a VSD when she was nine months old.After that she was a brand new baby.Had her MMR a while later and things got difficult.This was made worse after her pre school booster.
We will never prove it was the vacine as they are genetic factors in my family but the condition was triggered because of an overload on her underdeveloped immune system.No medical prove mind,just a mothers gut instinct.One that spotted I had a very sick baby and nursed her as if she was in heart failure but didn't know what was wrong.
If single vaccines are not on offer think very carefully if your baby has been or is recently getting over major sugery.

horse
02-Mar-07, 18:43
Quote by emszxr
i would rather them have autism than the effects or worse from getting measles, mumps etc

Have you had any experiance of autism.i am sure that the efects of measles and mumps would not be good and i don't want to get into a debate about MMR autism link but you would not rather them have autism trust me

cuddlepop
02-Mar-07, 19:09
i agree totally. when my kids were getting their vaccines i did read up on it, but there was no question really that i wouldnt get them vaccinated. i would rather them have autism than the effects or worse from getting measles, mumps etc

i have heard of some mothers not vaccinating their kids at all and although it is their decision, i personally dont think it is the right one.
trust me Autism is a living prison.I would rather my child wasn't in.:~(

molly
02-Mar-07, 19:13
All my daughters have had the mmr injection. However, i did think long and hard before giving it to my youngest. I was naive and did not ask any questions when my eldest was given her mmr.

My dilemma is do i give it to my son now. More links to austim with boys than girls. He is fast approaching the time when he will be going to nursery and mixing with other children and many illnesses.

To add to it, my daughter is due her mmr booster. I want to keep sweeping the thought of any decision under the carpet as i cannot face the responsiblity of giving them something that could affect them for the rest of their lives. It feels like a lottery.

emszxr
02-Mar-07, 19:25
trust me Autism is a living prison.I would rather my child wasn't in.:~(

i know it is, i know a couple of kids with aspergers, but personally at the end of the day there was no question about my kids not being vaccinated.

horse
03-Mar-07, 10:27
i know it is, i know a couple of kids with aspergers, .

But you don't live 24/7 with them. i don't want to sound ofensive but many people look at our son and can't see any thing wrong but when you have lived 24/7 you might change your opinion.
back to the topic about MMR my wife recons that the vaccination had nothing to do with our sons autism and i am no expert. but i sometimes think that everything started to hapen after he got vaccinated but my wife says not.

Bingobabe
05-Mar-07, 19:07
I posted a few months ago about the mmr as i am not to keen on my son having it at all. Well he is 18 months now and still has not had it as it is the most difficult descision i will ever make i have been researching it and im still not convinced that it does not cause autisum which i may add runs in my family.

Someone posted here saying that they would rather have their children have autisum well i was shocked to have read that as it is obvious they dont know that much about autisum.

Im quite shocked at how many people just dont even think about the side affects mmr can cause dont even bother reading up on it and just take their child down and get them vacinated just like that!!!!

katarina
05-Mar-07, 19:17
the milder forms of autism were not recognised in earlier years, the sufferers being looked upon as 'a bit strange' Now that high functioning autism and aspergers is recognised on the scale, perhaps this is why there APPEARS to be many more sufferers?

katarina
05-Mar-07, 19:23
I suffered all the childhood illnesses common at my time, measles, ruebella, mumps, chickenpox and whooping cough. Very distressing for my mother at the time no doubt and it took the whole five of us one after the other. However i am still here today - suffering no ill effects other than three minnute pox marks on my forehead. I have heard these disceases can be serious, but is the risk the same as/ worse than/ less than the injections?

davem
07-Mar-07, 13:22
Roy you would stuggle to find someone who is Rubella damaged, because of the immunisation programme. What I tried to make plain was that if a high enough proportion of the population are immunised then the incidence of the disease is far less. Thus even people who do not take up the jags benefit from those who do. As the risk is remote what you have to weigh up is the fact that life caring for a person damaged by rubella is as different from the norm as living on the moon, it is difficult to judge how aware of the world the person is themself. If you did met someone that severely affected you might not be so careless in disregarding those risks. I am not particularly wishing to argue; your points do warrant consideration but the whole picture needs consideration too. Vaccine damage is undoubtably a reality, they even pay compensation if you have the tenacity of a bulldog. My real concern is that the conspiracy viewpoint is as blinkered as that of the pharmaceutical industry.

cuddlepop
07-Mar-07, 13:44
There is a young girl in the Highlands who is suing the makers of the MMR vaccination stating that it caused her deafness.
It will be interesting to see how this progresses.
Bingobabe if in any doubt dont give your toddler the MMR jab.Argue the heriditory link.More and more people are questioning this link.Ask for and then demand single vaccination jabs.:)

davem
07-Mar-07, 15:43
Oh well, hello wall!

Single jabs because some research has found that the measles reaction is higher when in a 3 in one jag, same protection less risk. In some peoples view; it would be logical to allow the body to deal with one thing at a time.

as to the rest, i really do not want to continue reading statements as opposed to discussing an important topic. I for one am prepared to consider that there are shades of grey in any situation, being able to accept the possibility of being incorrect is a big step along the road to self fulfillment.

cuddlepop
07-Mar-07, 16:25
On this topic off the MMR jab I've just read that an earlier version of this vaccine was withdrawn because of concerns the government had in 1992 and this newer one introduced.Thats why this girl is suing the manufacturers.
Where would I find the date or would I have to request this information under the freedome of information act too?
Roy, single vaccination's dont overload the system which is my arguement.:)

cuddlepop
07-Mar-07, 18:09
Roy.Its in the Scottish Daily Mail. I'm sure you'd get the article on line,page 33.Its on ceefax too,Scottish news headlines:D
Have contacted the surgery here and requested immunisations dates and have been told my daughter has to request this herself.( thats going to be fun)
I would also like to know if the cluster of autistic kids here born in 1991 were vaccinated with the same batch.:eek:

cuddlepop
08-Mar-07, 16:48
Horse, if your intuition tells you something was different after the vaccination, would it hurt if you had a heavy metal toxicity test done? Where a child is found to test positive for heavy metals, chelation therapies have been shown to work in alot of suspected cases of spectrum disorders.

With all due repect Roy after reading about the fatalities in the States after this therapy I would not recommend it for any child who is Autistic

There is no cure :~(

davem
09-Mar-07, 01:13
smallpox that one seemed to work.