PDA

View Full Version : The motherland!!!

extremefencer
01-Mar-07, 01:06
Hi all,

What can I say. living in sheffield and missing Thurso madly. Everytime someone says something about yorkshire and the surrounding area I always compare (and in my mind better) their fondest thoughts. Moved in 1990 when I was 12 yo and still consider myself a proper UK northerner. (spent plenty of time in London claiming southerners are soft!!!!) They think drizzle is bad weather.lol.

I remember the salmon pool, boating pond, was in Thurso Swifts FC, the monkey puzzle tree, got caught by Mr mcIvor raiding the tuck shop on a saturday (innocent m'lud!!!). Swam like a fish for Thurso Swimming club and only just threw my bright orange swimming bag out that said Miller Academy on it. Wish I was there and wish I had the balls as a 11 yo to climb and look over that wall at Thurso Castle. I was in Miller Academy 1985ish to 1989ish. Jamie Simpson was a good mate.

Ive still got relatives in Caithness. I once received a letter from a swiss woman addressed to "the little boy who lives next to the church, Thurso". Says something about the community spirit around at that time. tsk.... got so much to say/write about. Anyone got owt to contribute?

Aaaaaah! The Motherland! Miss it.

ps. My accent now is Yorks/Caithness. The shame!!!!

Bobinovich
01-Mar-07, 01:16
Hi EF

From someone who moved from Sheffield to Caithness some 30 years or so I think I ended up with the better deal LOL!

Used to live in the Norwood area (if memory serves me right - I was only 7 when we left) and can honestly say I don't miss it one little bit!

I'm sure my boy is in the same class as Jamie's son in Miller...

extremefencer
01-Mar-07, 01:33
gutted, first post and someone is rubbing my face in it.lol

Jamie had a birth mark on his face. Wonder if he remembers me?!?!?

Norwwod? or Norton? I managed to at least stay north sheffield. Not familiar to the posh suburbs.lol

Up the Blades!!!

Ricco
01-Mar-07, 08:37
I remember the salmon pool, boating pond, was in Thurso Swifts FC, the monkey puzzle tree, got caught by Mr mcIvor raiding the tuck shop on a saturday (innocent m'lud!!!). Swam like a fish for Thurso Swimming club and only just threw my bright orange swimming bag out that said Miller Academy on it. Wish I was there and wish I had the balls as a 11 yo to climb and look over that wall at Thurso Castle.

Welcome to the active side, EF. I also have many fond memories of Thurso - swimming in the Salmon Pool, floating Airfix boats on the boating pond (filled filled bangers and a long fuse - great fun!).... and I not only peeked over the wall of Thurso Castle, two of us climbed over and had a good wander round - there were some huge antlers in one of the outbuildings.
:)

garble
01-Mar-07, 19:54
Evening extremefencer

Relatively new on here too, so welcome :)

Also posting from Sheffield but originally from centre of Caithness ;) (small world!!)

extremefencer
03-Mar-07, 00:51
Glad to know there are fellow thursonians around locally(sheffield). Gonna visit sometime soon. Watch out for the weird blokes!!!

sweetpea
03-Mar-07, 01:28
the monkey puzzle tree

I know it well.

JAWS
03-Mar-07, 02:37
I can't understand anybody deserting Caithness for Yorkshire. Lancashire yes, but Yorkshire? That's unforgivable. :lol:

crayola
03-Mar-07, 03:06
I went to Sheffield once. Met a load of thick blokes with shaved heads and beer guts. They all looked the same and talked the same and their wives looked the same but with makeup and hair. Please tell me this isn't the norm there.

Bobinovich
03-Mar-07, 16:41
gutted, first post and someone is rubbing my face in it.lol

Jamie had a birth mark on his face. Wonder if he remembers me?!?!?

Norwwod? or Norton? I managed to at least stay north sheffield. Not familiar to the posh suburbs.lol

Up the Blades!!!

Sorry EF - hope that didn't get you down. I mean, all the clean fresh air and wide open spaces - oops I'll shut up LOL!

I'm sure it was Norwood - went to a nearby primary school called Roe Wood which is now a further/technical learning centre I believe.

I reckon The Blades means something totally different to me than it does for you - I used to be a member of The Silver Blades ice rink back in the 70's, fond memories of being on my rear more than on my skates!!!