PDA

View Full Version : local shops closing down

ellie-lou
28-Feb-07, 22:36
heard today from a reliable source that souters the hardware/gardening shop in thurso is closing down they must b feeling the pinch with homebase and tescos.

Phoebus_Apollo
28-Feb-07, 22:41
That`s a true shame (if it`s the truth??) alway get top class service in Souters...

changilass
28-Feb-07, 22:50
Now that is one shop I would miss, love going in for a wee look even if not buying, they have some great stuff in there.

It would be a shame, its not that long since they expanded for the gardening section.

stratman
28-Feb-07, 23:18
They have been shut when I wanted them so often!!

davem
28-Feb-07, 23:58
Maybe in the tourist season staying open at lunch would be good, if you live here 1 till 2 is lunchtime, very civilised I think.

rfr10
28-Feb-07, 23:59
It's a great place but a lot of their prices are far too expensive.

Buttercup
01-Mar-07, 00:16
Maybe in the tourist season staying open at lunch would be good, if you live here 1 till 2 is lunchtime, very civilised I think.

And then they wonder why everyone goes to Homebase/Tescos etc. :roll: There's still people shopping between 1 -2 (and on the "Monday Holiday")and with all the staff they appear to have surely they could stagger their lunches and stay open. Or should local shops just be for the Tourists?

Scunner
01-Mar-07, 00:20
That`s a true shame (if it`s the truth??) alway get top class service in Souters...

Dont think it is Souters, its the shop at bridgend, near Sommerfield

ellie-lou
01-Mar-07, 11:09
i know that lighting shop is closing down but i heard yesterday that souters is to be closing too, i heard this from someone who is part of the shop traders association. there is going to be a few empty shops about thurso wie buttress curtain shop shutting as well, heard mcallans is struggling too inotice they cant seem to shift their sale items but it is a well overpriced shop i much prefer new look in wick.

Humerous Vegetable
01-Mar-07, 11:14

Maybe they'll have a closing down sale. Thurso small businesses were bound to suffer when all the new development went to Wick. There's nothing to keep the spend in Thurso now.

stratman
01-Mar-07, 11:26
And then they wonder why everyone goes to Homebase/Tescos etc. :roll: There's still people shopping between 1 -2 (and on the "Monday Holiday")and with all the staff they appear to have surely they could stagger their lunches and stay open. Or should local shops just be for the Tourists?

I believe that dinnertime closing is a hang over from the days when only half of a couple worked. On the whole both parts of a couple work now all over Britain.

Cattach
01-Mar-07, 11:33

Very true. Shop around within Thurso, let alone outside it, and you will find Souters prices higher than most. Great stock and well laid out so it is a pity that it is so high with prices. Garden centre in Catletown is very significantly cheaper on almost all items.

darkman
01-Mar-07, 11:40
Local shops have been over-extortionate with their pricing for years.

dozerboy
01-Mar-07, 13:51
heard today from a reliable source that souters the hardware/gardening shop in thurso is closing down they must b feeling the pinch with homebase and tescos.

OMG here we go again - another pop at TESCO!!

Get a grip.. you can't blame them for everything that closes in Caithness.

Maybe the local businesses have to buck up their ideas a bit, not close down.

pentlander
01-Mar-07, 17:02
Welcome to the future of Thurso high street.
Indian takeaways, bookies, bars and charity shops.
Just like a thousand other towns across Britain.
Vey Very Sad.

jay
01-Mar-07, 17:14
have to disagree with comments about pricing - I have found many of the Thurso shops to be considerably cheaper than Homebase, including the Homecare shop which is currently advertising a closing down sale, W&D Ross are cheaper for paint, Thurso building suppliers are cheaper for just about everything - we will regret losing these kind of shops one of these days

Rampant Rabbit
01-Mar-07, 17:22
The Bookshop Cafe In Bews In Thurso Closes Tomorrow

Buttercup
01-Mar-07, 17:31

Well there's no way they can blame Tesco/Homebase etc for that one surely![lol]

Buttercup
01-Mar-07, 17:33
Well there's no way they can blame Tesco/Homebase etc for that one surely![lol]

Woops! Sorry, forgot Tesco's have a cafe.[lol]

Cattach
01-Mar-07, 17:45

Not surprised. Have you sen the way they prepare food. Want a good coffee break - Cafe Cardosi, Tempest at the harbour or the Fishermens Mission. Nice atmpshere in the Bistro but the selection of cakes, pastries etc is awful. There are also the cafes in the three bakers and good service in some of the hotels. Cheap and excellent in the Pentland - try their shortbread! Who needs the Book Shop Cafe?!!

pentlander
01-Mar-07, 18:01
The little record shop is for sale. The pet shop gone,Malcolm and Taits closed. Possible the sports shop. Souters. Butress. etc etc.
Whatever the reasons it paints a gloomy forecast for the local economy.
Dont forget all the shops employ local joiners painters, local vans, and not forgetting local folk.

Naefearjustbeer
01-Mar-07, 18:11
have to disagree with comments about pricing - I have found many of the Thurso shops to be considerably cheaper than Homebase, including the Homecare shop which is currently advertising a closing down sale, W&D Ross are cheaper for paint, Thurso building suppliers are cheaper for just about everything - we will regret losing these kind of shops one of these days

You are right there Homebase is very expensive for a lot of things, The only advantage it has is that it has a range of stuff under one roof. I think they are the most expensive of all the big DIY and Gardening type stores. I quite often go in for a look around but rarely buy stuff. I use souters a lot more for stuff. I have to admit that they are not that cheap either though. Allans of Gillock are good for a lot of stuff, ok they are out of the town but I dont live in town so I would have to jump in the car to and get things anyway.

bingo1
01-Mar-07, 18:13
I think that the local shops have been leeching from us locals for far too long!!!
Mcallans for example for a pair of jeans we are not getting much change from a fifty pound note and that buttress shop with all the beautiful curtains etc well i work full time and still cannot afford to shop there. For years these shop owners have been living the high life because we had to spend there with little other choice, well now it is our turn to spot a bargain and save some money and maybe feel the the high life too.!! no sympathy.:)

pentlander
01-Mar-07, 18:25
I think that the local shops have been leeching from us locals for far too long!!!
Mcallans for example for a pair of jeans we are not getting much change from a fifty pound note and that buttress shop with all the beautiful curtains etc well i work full time and still cannot afford to shop there. For years these shop owners have been living the high life because we had to spend there with little other choice, well now it is our turn to spot a bargain and save some money and maybe feel the the high life too.!! no sympathy.:)
Maybe you would feel differently if your employer spotted a bargain and decided to get rid of you and have you job done by someone in Bombay. Whilst I don't agree with your attitude I have to agree it is a common one and to a certain extent justified. What concerns me is that the heart of the community is about to be lost forever. No longer will be pop down the shops and meet for a blether.
We will sit at home meeting no-one ordering everthing online.

bingo1
01-Mar-07, 18:33
Maybe you would feel differently if your employer spotted a bargain and decided to get rid of you and have you job done by someone in Bombay. Whilst I don't agree with your attitude I have to agree it is a common one and to a certain extent justified. What concerns me is that the heart of the community is about to be lost forever. No longer will be pop down the shops and meet for a blether.
We will sit at home meeting no-one ordering everthing online.
Sit at home meeting no one ha ha that is a bit over the top dont you think...[lol]

danc1ngwitch
01-Mar-07, 18:48
I think that many people missed thompsons store in castletown, there was a time my uncle was in hospital sick and the old man who owned the shop took him through some goodies, and not only that this man also took a box of shopping to those who were good customers at Xmas time.
You don't get that with big stores

pentlander
01-Mar-07, 18:48
Sit at home meeting no one ha ha that is a bit over the top dont you think...[lol]
No I don't.
People seems to know the cost of everything but the value of nothing.

bingo1
01-Mar-07, 18:51
No I don't.
People seems to know the cost of everything but the value of nothing.
ok then. :D

burstbucker
01-Mar-07, 18:54
And it will be worse when Asda come to town!

mccaugm
01-Mar-07, 18:56

Hope its not Souters...much prefer it to Homebase...its like an Aladdins cave...they order stuff in when you need it too.

badger
01-Mar-07, 19:10
Very sad if Souters really is closing - it's an excellent shop. Bews coffee shop has too much competition close by with the Bistro and the other one on that corner. In fact there are masses of places for coffee and snacks in Thurso so can't possibly be room for all of them. Pity they didn't leave us with one good bookshop as it was the only one in Caithness.

I really hoped the local shops would buck their ideas up when they heard there was competition coming. Running a small shop is very hard work and I was shocked when I moved up here and found shops closing at 5.0, closing for lunch, half day closing on Wed or Thur., local holidays. How do they expect to thrive when they're closed at the only times when other workers can shop? Many of the window displays look as if they haven't changed for 50 years. Didn't Aurora give them any ideas on how to do it? Sadly, nothing changed. I can't imagine what tourists think when they wander round the towns early evening and find them completely dead. Many of these shops wouldn't last 5 minutes further south, even without the added competition.

What idiot at central office decided to change all the aisles in Somerfield and Co-op? Somerfield did it when Tesco opened and the Co-op have just done it. Crazy. The only hope they had of keeping faithful customers was to leave the familiar layout. I remember one day in Somerfields in Wick a desperate woman asking me where the milk had gone. Don't they realise busy people simply don't have time for all that nonsense?

Rampant Rabbit
01-Mar-07, 19:40
Badger Its Just The Cafe In Bews Is Closing The Books Are Still Going To Be Sold In It

Cinders392
01-Mar-07, 20:22
I agree there some interesting things but some very expensive

Penelope Pitstop
01-Mar-07, 20:32

I really hope Soutar's isn't closing - where else do you go for bits and bobs from in Thurso?

I sympathise with the small shops in Wick and Thurso. They don't have the same buying power as bigger shops. I think Buttress'es and McAllans are not too bad priced. Some of their branded tops, etc are no dearer than in USC in Inverness (and no I'm not blaming closures on Tescos, etc. before someone starts on!:confused lol)

Alice in Blunderland
01-Mar-07, 21:00
I feel that local shops have been on the decline for a few years now and some of them, whether we had the arrival of these new stores or not would have been closing their doors anyway.

There was a day when they had quite a grip on the local buyer as there wasnt many other options, but with the internet and Inverness so easily accessible choice is greater than ever and this is what the customer wants .......value and choice.

Its such a pity that some of the local shopkeepers did not invest a little more into upgrading their premises and staying in line with their competition. I know this would have cost them money but Im sure the return would have been worth it.

The buildings that most of the shops occupy are quite dated and cramped not very pushchair or wheelchair friendly and customers have to squeeze to get round them. I can honestly say that when I had the girls in the twin pram there were very few shops I could go into with them as it was impossible to move around and I for one would never leave them outside. To shop in a clean spacious and well laid out shop is ideal for many and with parking at the door an extra bonus for us, yes we are encouraging laziness but in the belting rain and wind its brilliant. Some of the local shops can and will survive alongside these new stores....quality and value will always be appreciated and healthy competition never hurt anyone it will keep everyone on their toes and less laid back thinking they have it made. Good service will be rewarded with custom.

The local shopkeepers instead of bemoaning the arrival of Tesco and other stores should now get their thinking caps on and try their hand at some forward planning with a little hard work and effort I am sure some of the shops will survive allbeit their profits may be down a little but sometimes we have to take the good with the bad, half day closing, lunchtime closing and local holidays are a thing of the past whether good or bad but you either come out fighting and play ball with the big boys or go sit on the sideline. IMHO :)

ŠAmethyst
01-Mar-07, 21:18
I for one am sad to hear about the changes. I've been away from Caithness for 2 years now. Every time I visit I'm saddened when I see something closed.

The friendly local staff... the prices don't matter... the way you could find a real gem just when you don't expect to.

My new home's a bit further on. There used to be a butcher's, a newsagents and a bank branch. Now there's only the co-op to replace them. And even then, the co-op's pricey. Soon, though, I fear that we may lose our post office.

If Thurso changes too much before I go back to visit family I'll be deeply saddened! *goes into a little world of her own...* Ah memories! Is that all that we'll be left with?

stratman
01-Mar-07, 21:20
Why have the cafes and bakeries not taken advantage of the lunchtime closing as many other shops have?:lol:

connieb19
01-Mar-07, 21:22
Vey Very Sad.
That sounds like Wick

Billy Boy
01-Mar-07, 21:39
That sounds like Wick

and whats next a retail park :confused

grumpyhippo
01-Mar-07, 21:46
I have a small amount of sympathy for local shops, but only so much. eg When I first moved up North, Caithness Home Furnishers gave me a first class service and got repeat business because of that.
Other stores gave the ' we don't stock that or there's no demand for that' sort of excuse. Guess what?, even now we regard shopping with them as a distress purchase only.
A significant number of local businesses seem to be able to make a living whilst closing at lunch times and half day, if they can make this pay then fine, but don't come whinging to me when times get tough. Local stores are not just competing with each other and the big chains, but with every store on the word wide web.

Its not all bad, today I was spending a not inconsiderable sum (for me), and after much checking, the products were available in the Highlands at or below national "discount" prices and the service was first class. I'm sure I was dealing with a business that will still be here in fifty years.

ŠAmethyst
01-Mar-07, 21:59
What happened to Buttress's... has that closed down yet?

Cattach
01-Mar-07, 22:43
Mostly rumours concerning closure of businesses. I was speaking to a businessman who said it was mostly nonsense. It was rumoured his business was closing and it is certainly not true. Even with Buttress they are only closing their small materials shop and not their main store. The pet shop was on the way out some time ago and compettion in the cafes is great. Lots of eating places in Thurso, especially for cofee and a snack and mostly good too.

badger
01-Mar-07, 23:04
Badger Its Just The Cafe In Bews Is Closing The Books Are Still Going To Be Sold In It

Yes I thought that's what it meant. I was only saying that it was much better before when the whole front part was one big book shop with an excellent selection of books. Another coffee shop just wasn't needed. They had the only real bookshop in Caithness and swapped it for a cafe, which are 10 a penny. Shame.

blondscot
01-Mar-07, 23:40
Although bews did move the books to make way for the cafe they still stock an excellant range of books and if there is something that you want then Gavin is more than willing to order one for you even if it is an older book he will try his best to source it. The cafe is closing as it is not making any profit but it has been running like that since they opened it, they could have done a lot more with the cafe and made it work but they stuck to their original idea and it got them nowhere!

Sairheed
02-Mar-07, 02:16
I need to say from the outset that I have bought in both of the Wick retail parks - in each case a "no brain" experience with doubtful economic benefit.

There is growing evidence of the devastation of our town centres through the effect on small retail outlets, in both Wick and Thurso (whose "high prices" are mainly the reverse effect of the economic laws that make the retail parks attractive).

I shuddr about the likely consequences.

I have gloated, when visiting my family in the South ".. a major difference between living where I do and here is that I can still go window shopping at any time of day and still get personal service". Certainly not true there where town centres, at night, are an array of steel enforced concrete blocks inhabitated by vermin, both animal and human.

God forbid that the current race to consumerism nirvanha here, results in that scenario.

pentlander
02-Mar-07, 10:35
I need to say from the outset that I have bought in both of the Wick retail parks - in each case a "no brain" experience with doubtful economic benefit.

There is growing evidence of the devastation of our town centres through the effect on small retail outlets, in both Wick and Thurso (whose "high prices" are mainly the reverse effect of the economic laws that make the retail parks attractive).

I shuddr about the likely consequences.

I have gloated, when visiting my family in the South ".. a major difference between living where I do and here is that I can still go window shopping at any time of day and still get personal service". Certainly not true there where town centres, at night, are an array of steel enforced concrete blocks inhabitated by vermin, both animal and human.

God forbid that the current race to consumerism nirvanha here, results in that scenario.
Good post with which I would agree.
I think part of the problem has been that our current crop of supermarkets are pretty bad and that leaves people wanting another. If the Co-op and Somerfield had got there act together years ago there may not have been the clamour for the big stores..
A lot of people seem suprised that local shopkeepers are bemoaning the fact that these big stores are comming. Wouldn't you be a bit upset if a rival business set up next to your place of employment and threatened to put you out of work.
The lunch hour and half day closing is a nonsense and the sooner they stop that the better. It may be an excellent gesture if all the shops that currently close for lunch stopped doing it. Doubt it will happen though.
It must be said however that despite the big buying power of Tesco's etc there are a few great little shops in Thurso were I can get stuff cheaper and with a better selection and it would be a disaster if they went.
I fear that with several shops going the high street will decline and the good shops left will struggle because there is noone on the street.
Whilst there there is no doubt that some shops need to up thier game I take no pleasure in seeing a deserted high street. We all regardless of opinion will be worse off when that happens

crashbandicoot1979
02-Mar-07, 11:02
I work in the centre of Thurso (not in a shop I might add!) and love spending lunchtimes wandering around the small shops. Its amazing what you can find in some of them (sometimes pricey, sometimes not) and butcher meat/fresh fish is far superior to anything I can get out of the supermarket. Its a great shame that any of them are closing but Tesco et al is only part of the problem. As has been said earlier, it would have been the perfect opportunity for the local retailers to shake things up for themselves - better opening hours (even opening late just one day a week would help some customers), and a look at what services Tesco and co can't provide (e.g. one-off items, personal service, ordering service etc) but very few of them have bothered. Plus, with being in the centre of town 5 days a week I can blatantly see how much quieter it is now compared to what it was. I will continue to use the local shops for as long as they are there, but I know that a lot of other people won't and I can understand why. It is sad but the retailers have to work with the customers to help themselves and I just can't see them doing that.

I would like to add that Mackays grocers is by far my favourite shop in the town. If it closed, I would be sorry but I doubt it will. The other shops could learn a thing or two from it - very friendly and helpful staff, nice atmosphere, decent opening hours, a great selection of stock (alcohol in particular!).

badger
02-Mar-07, 11:04
Although bews did move the books to make way for the cafe they still stock an excellant range of books and if there is something that you want then Gavin is more than willing to order one for you even if it is an older book he will try his best to source it. The cafe is closing as it is not making any profit but it has been running like that since they opened it, they could have done a lot more with the cafe and made it work but they stuck to their original idea and it got them nowhere!

Agree about them being very helpful - I'm a regular customer. Which is why it's such a pity he wasn't given the whole floor so he could carry the sort of stock they used to.

dirdyweeker
02-Mar-07, 22:05

I love going to that shop when I go to Thurso, but I do not think they are overpriced. Their price reflects the quality and I have always been pleased with their service and treatment of customers. Anything I have asked for over the years I find the staff go out of their way to get.
I for one would certainly miss this shop.

Bob M
02-Mar-07, 22:25
This is just another rumour, the truth of the matter is as Tommy told his staff he and his wife have decided to retire and so the business will go up for sale! Nothing to do with Tesco's

lab
02-Mar-07, 23:14
I have always tried to buy locally first but sometimes you have to go further south or on the internet, perfect example my daughter wanted a pair of vans today sent her to mcallans with money only to be told the dont stock her size shes a six. I work in a shoe shop in town {and have to say we are still busy} and know this is average. I had to order from shue. I love Buttreses and always buy my sons clothes from them, and there the only place in town that does size six which is what i am. Yes you pay extra but what national chain can you get such personal service they know your name childrens name and take time to talk. It is one of the only shops in town that actualy care about the customer.

Kenn
02-Mar-07, 23:33
Although not a resident of the county I am a frequent visitor and am always delighted to find individual shops offering individual items usually at a very fair price.
My grandson's mini-hiking boots are bought in Thurso as I can't find them down south and if I could no doubt they would be three or four times the price.Beautiful table linen both for my own use and for my neighbour who cat sits for me.Lovely hand made items in some of the little craft shops. Fresh baked bread, cakes and wonderful locally produced heather honey.Galleries and book shops that would be the envy of most communities.
To find such shops here is a rarity and the price is reflected in that.
It would be a shame to see these shops go as they are the character of any community.
I appreciate that in some cases the price will be dearer for common brand name goods but that is due to economic factors as the supermarkets never own what is on their shelves and usually manage to defer paying for anything for up to 9 months where as the small shop is lucky to be able to get more than twent eight days credit.
Long may the diversity of shops continue,

johno
02-Mar-07, 23:39
Vey Very Sad.
aye your not far wrong there pentlander,thats also a pretty fair description of wick high street. for all that i do miss all the wee shoppies

sweetpea
03-Mar-07, 00:42
That sounds like Wick
That's because it is. But all high streets are relatively the same now anyway. Don't tell anyone but I've secretly wanted to work in a bookies(excuse the spelling)

scorrie
03-Mar-07, 01:04
aye your not far wrong there pentlander,thats also a pretty fair description of wick high street. for all that i do miss all the wee shoppies

Aww, if only everyone who missed the wee shoppies, had actually shopped in them, maybe they would still be here.

Wee Toons, beeg ideas = Retail Giant Heaven

iain
03-Mar-07, 11:05
Always had good service in The Bookshop Cafe.W&D Ross are far cheaper than Homebase.

pentlander
03-Mar-07, 11:12
Wee Toons, beeg ideas = Retail Giant Heaven
What is that supposed to mean

Cattach
03-Mar-07, 11:26
Always had good service in The Bookshop Cafe.W&D Ross are far cheaper than Homebase.

I just went in once - did not like seeing someone preparing food with gloves and handling both cash and food with same uncovered hand.

Homebase is not cheap but they have a good range. Most things are about the same price as local shops I have used but when we see a supermarket we expect lower prices. Of course, not all local shops are the same - as Iposted earlier I bought garden items in Castletown which were very much cheaper for the same item than I saw them in Souters.

Incidently the fix and grout I got in Homebase, which I bought too little of, was a third cheaper than that which I got in W & D Ross to finish the job.

connieb19
03-Mar-07, 11:27
That's because it is. But all high streets are relatively the same now anyway. Don't tell anyone but I've secretly wanted to work in a bookies(excuse the spelling)Your luck might be in then, there's a job in the bookies advertised in the Groat. I think it would be okay working there too now since the smoking ban. :)