PDA

View Full Version : Supermarket Fuel Problems

johno
28-Feb-07, 22:35
cars have been cutting out stalling not perfoming properly and failing their mot,s [ omitions] through using petrol purchased at tesco,s & morrison,s filling stations.
doe,s anyone know the story behind all this. i recall that this topic came up on the org before. myself i m not really concerned as i have alway s filled up at the elm tree. there must be something lacking in the formula as it has affected vehicles throughout the lentgh of the uk.it seems that it affects the co2 emitions and ecu module . has anyone experienced this bother up here. the attendant that i use tells me that there are quite a few cars affected.
any info locally other than whats on the news :confused

sam
28-Feb-07, 22:45
I always fill up a tesco and have never had any bother

changilass
28-Feb-07, 22:46
The report on the news tonight said it was at various garages not just supermarkets, they seem to think it is contaminated supplies from outwith the uk.

mr do dar
28-Feb-07, 22:59
i use about 50 pound aweek in fuel and always use tescos to fill up ( clubcard points) and i dont seen to have any bother with my car ..... touch wood it will carry on running a good so the myth about supermarket fuel is rubbish as far as im concerned

JAWS
01-Mar-07, 00:27
The whole thing is delightfully vague. It seems that there has been a problem with fuel supplied from one particular depot in the South East of England.

The problem with the problem is that nobody can find the problem. :roll: Lots of test are being done, including by Trading Standards, but nothing has been found so far to indicate what the cause is.

If anybody filled up in Essex and has driven back to Caithness without refuelling let us know please. With fuel economy like that we would all like to know how! [lol]

robbain
01-Mar-07, 00:51
As anyone seen the news tonight regarding the fuel from superstores being contamined, I think this has been ongoing since being of the year.

Has anyone been finding their car having problems after filling up from tesco in Wick? We have had problems with the car after filling up from them. We just put it down as a dirty batch, but when we go to BP station, we have no problems.

robbain
01-Mar-07, 00:55
I just submitted a thread,
yes we have problems from tescos after filling up, car juddering and lose of power, we had this since tescos opened, we tried not to fill up at tescos, but its the only place thats 24hours on the side of the county.

chiccool
01-Mar-07, 01:35
Maybe they forgot to add the vat to it.:lol:

George Brims
01-Mar-07, 02:58
Petrol can get contaminated by faulty tanks, when a crack allows ground water to contact the petrol (and of course petrol to seep into the ground). Water-contaminated petrol can cause big problems for fuel-injected cars. Same goes for diesel, though some diesel engines have a separate injection system that squirts water into the cylinders to improve fuel economy.

I heard years ago of a garage in a seaside town in Scotland that had many customers coming back with complaints about their fuel. The problem was uncovered when the smell of petrol was noticed in a neighbouring row of shops that had cellars. One of their tanks was cracked allowing the groundwater - which moved with the tides(!) to seep into and out of the tank, and also allowed petrol out into the soil from where it was getting into the cellars. Fortunately the petrol was never ignited, else the whole place could have gone up.

cliffhbuber
01-Mar-07, 05:11
"cars have been cutting out stalling not perfoming properly.."

George offers good points re: underground gas storage tanks have water leaking in.
The above symptoms reads very much like water mixed with gasoline.
What is the inspection policy for underground tanks?
After how many years must they be replaced?

concerned resident
01-Mar-07, 08:43
We buy all our fuel from Tesco’s in Wick, never had any problems, the only difference is it is cheaper.

Listener
01-Mar-07, 09:00
Maybe just coincidence but since I filled up last week at Tesco at Wick my car has been running rough!
Food for thought, however the problem does seem to be concentrated on the south of England.

the nomad
01-Mar-07, 09:39
Sounds like the Caithness Garage mafia are starting rumours, 'don't go to Tesco's for your fuel come back to me and i'll rip you off' - DOH NOT!!!

danc1ngwitch
01-Mar-07, 09:52
There is always something happening...
People will imagin something is wrong with their cars when there is nothing at all.. Because thats what people do...

Scarybiscuits03
01-Mar-07, 11:50
I had major probs with my car last week. I always fill up at Tesco but it never normally gets past half a tank. This time I was down to a 1/4 tank and on the way putting my daughter to school the car started misfiring and losing power. I called out the AA (or a local mechanic!) and they couldnt see any probs. I ended up having to go and buy some stuff to wash out my tank and then refuelled locally. Luckily its been fine since but after hearing the reports on the news - I dont think I'll be using tesco again!

jamieS
01-Mar-07, 12:10
I have stopped using Tescos Diesel as I was not getting the same milage with it.
With Shell fuel I am getting 36+ mpg with tescos it was under 30 mpg. Although the fuel might be cheaper it is a false ecomony if i am getting less miles using it.

JAWS
01-Mar-07, 12:41
I've been using Tesco diesel since they opened and have never noticed any difference to either my vehicles performance or fuel economy.
When I lived south of the Border I very often used Supermarket petrol and never had any problems. In view of the fact that my last car down there did almost 200,000 miles I think that any problems would have become apparent.

MR J
01-Mar-07, 13:03
Here is a clip from a site which can be viewed in full at

http://www.savefuelsavemoney.co.uk/carfuelsave3.htm

it might help? also a good price comparison chart in there:)

Which Fuel?

This is a tricky one; I'm not quite sure what is the best answer.
Some fuel companies are promoting fuels that are more expensive but are advertised as giving more mileage; examples being BP Ultimate and Shell Optimax (now branded V Power). One of my favourite journalists, Honest John from the Daily Telegraph, swears by Optimax and I guess he must have good reasons. The companies claim that using the fuel will also reduce emissions and prolong the life of the engine.
The claim for BP Ultimate is you will get achieve an extra 28 miles per tank full. It is also claimed to give 7% extra power and 5% better acceleration.
However at my local BP service station it costs an extra 8p per litre compared to normal unleaded at BP stations. That's 93.9p per litre compared to 85.9p per litre. Therefore the Ultimate tankful costs an extra 9.3% and would need to give 9.3% extra miles to compensate for the extra cost, which for a 10 Gallon tank top-up would be an extra 28 miles - assuming 30miles to the gallon. If this cannot be achieved then using this fuel may not be justified on price alone.
Similarly at my local Shell service station Optimax costs an extra 7p per litre compared with normal unleaded at Shell stations. That's 90.9p per litre compared with 83.9p per litre for normal unleaded. Therefore the Optimax tankful costs an extra 8.3% and would need to give 8.3% extra miles to compensate for the extra cost, which for a 10 Gallon tank top-up would be an extra 25 miles.
Both companies claim that power and acceleration is increased when using these fuels.
Interestingly the TV programme "Fifth Gear" tested these two fuels against normal unleaded with three different cars:

Renault Clio - and found that the premium fuels made no difference to the power output of 81bhp
VW Golf GTI - Found that Ultimate increased power output from the standard 172bhp to 174bhp and Optimax increased output to 177bhp.
Subaru Impreza WRX STI - found that power increased from standard 235bhp to 248bhp with Ultimate and 249bhp with Optimax.The conclusion being that the more highly tuned Subaru, and to a smaller extent the Golf GTI, did benefit from the change in fuel. To quote the programme: -
"That would result in a more willing engine, happier to accelerate hard from low down in the rev range.
So premium fuels can make your car go faster and, on the basis of our tests, Shell's Optimax is a more performance orientated fuel than BP's Ultimate, but only if your car can appreciate the difference."
As I understand the situation ALL fuels sold in UK are basically and often literally, exactly the same base product. You can see tankers from many companies filling up at the major distribution sites. The difference between, say BP unleaded and Tesco's unleaded is that each company will add its own additive package. Some additive packages are not as good as others! So next time you're filling up at the supermarket ask yourself why the fuel is cheaper than other petrol stations, when it all comes from the same place and is exactly the same base fuel. The quality and dose rate of additives makes a lot of difference in engine performance, wear, cleanliness, emissions etc. etc. etc.

jaykay
01-Mar-07, 14:26
I have stopped using Tesco diesel as I had problems with it on more than one occasion. The problem is the engine does not seem to run properly. This has happened to me with two different vehicles and the problem remained until I had used the fuel in the tank. I suspect that it may have been water in the diesel but I am not sure. Anyway I don't use Tesco diesel anymore and i don't have any problems.

Geo
01-Mar-07, 15:20
I have stopped using Tescos Diesel as I was not getting the same milage with it.
With Shell fuel I am getting 36+ mpg with tescos it was under 30 mpg. Although the fuel might be cheaper it is a false ecomony if i am getting less miles using it.

A friend who runs all diesel vehicles for his business, covering high mileages, hasn't seen any difference in performance or mpg for any of his vans using Tesco fuel. So for him it is a saving. How are you measuring the mpg?

jamieS
01-Mar-07, 15:24
A friend who runs all diesel vehicles for his business, covering high mileages, hasn't seen any difference in performance or mpg for any of his vans using Tesco fuel. So for him it is a saving. How are you measuring the mpg?

The onboard computer tells me.

I run a Ford Galaxy 1.9 TDDI 6 speed manual and cover about 2000 - 3000 miles per month

johno
01-Mar-07, 15:29
well it seems that there is a big problem with certain fuels in the uk .
i just wonder what the company,s concerned are going to do about it in the way of compensation. i/e damage to vehicle engine management systems the loss of transport & general inconveniance. or are they going to try and fob it off by saying that it isnt fuel . i mean you pay something in exess say £18000
for a vehicle you put fuel in the tank in good faith and the car runs like a bag of loose bolts. i my self am not affected[well not yet anyway] but i think id be pretty mad.especially if you have to fork out £200 to £400 to get a garage to drain the fuel ,replace the sensers through no fault of your own.
s,pose we will have to wait and see what eaver the outcome. [evil] [disgust]

MadPict
01-Mar-07, 16:16
Apparently a source in the AA has reported that traces of silicon have been found in some samples of fuel taken from affected cars....

johno
01-Mar-07, 16:31
Apparently a source in the AA has reported that traces of silicon have been found in some samples of fuel taken from affected cars....
silicon?, now i guess that would play havoc with injectors & jets etc?

Billy Boy
01-Mar-07, 17:42
i find no difference in tesco's diesel, i fill my tank up every week and i am still getting 110 miles to every 10 litres, just like i used to when i filled up elsewhere and it still runs like the day i got it :D

jamieS
01-Mar-07, 18:58
i find no difference in tesco's diesel, i fill my tank up every week and i am still getting 110 miles to every 10 litres, just like i used to when i filled up elsewhere and it still runs like the day i got it :D

That is pretty good mileage you get there billy boy. :)

Geo
01-Mar-07, 19:36
The onboard computer tells me.

I run a Ford Galaxy 1.9 TDDI 6 speed manual and cover about 2000 - 3000 miles per month

If accurate there are other factors; load on the vehicle, wind speed, style of driving after fill-up etc. Not saying you are wrong, just that I would be surprised at such a difference.

©Amethyst
01-Mar-07, 21:50
When I worked at a garage, it was only empoyees which had accounts paid for by the company that filled their cars up at the most expensive garage (my old one lol) in the city.

Everyone else went to Tesco. No problems were to be had with their cars... Seats... Protons... Hyundi... they seemed fine when they were taken to Tesco or Morrisons.

johno
01-Mar-07, 23:48
Well its been announced tonight that the petrol company,s concerned are adamantly denying that there is anything amiss with their fuel. but then on the face of it & with all the claims about to come in ,that would be expected would,nt it. SO 19% OF MOTORISTS up & down the country are trying it on then ??? dont think so.

jamieS
02-Mar-07, 00:51
Well touch wood I have never experienced the problems some motorists are currently having with the loss of power and the vehicle being sluggish etc, I just wasnt getting the same mileage using tesco fuel.

Tom Cornwall
02-Mar-07, 01:05
they say that it's to do with the additives they put in the petrol and silicone is the trouble. so there you go
I always buy my fuel in Sainsburys and haven't had any probs so keeping the finger crossed.

Sairheed
02-Mar-07, 01:32
Since this appears to be an intermitent problem at Tesco perhaps it is related to the postcode associated with yoour "Clubcard" - they have ways of watching you!!!

©Amethyst
02-Mar-07, 14:23
I don't think that we need to worry about it... unless any of you bought fuel in London or the surrounding area.

'Faulty' petrol results awaited

Spot checks were being carried out by Trading Standards
Test results on fuel which is thought to have caused problems for thousands of drivers in the south and east of England are expected to be released.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6410511.stm

results expected this avo

j4bberw0ck
02-Mar-07, 16:13
Another variable is how old your car is. Newer cars (2 - 3 years old or less) have to meet tougher emissions controls and so are more "finicky" about petrol or diesel. The lambda sensor in the exhaust drops the engine into "get you home" mode, and that seems to have been the problem with many of the vehicles in the south east. Older cards just get on and burn the damn fuel :lol: . Let's hear it for older cars!

jay
02-Mar-07, 17:12
I've not had any problems with Tesco fuel but I have noticed that I don't get nearly as good mileage - glad to hear its not just me as the male friends I said this to laughed and said it was my fault!

Kaishowing
02-Mar-07, 18:37
No much for the report....nothing much new there.http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6413357.stm

Fran
03-Mar-07, 01:42
I dont think we are affected up here with petrol. Yesterday I got petrol at Tesco at wick and went to inverness. Today I got petrol at Tesco Inverness and drove back to wick and have had no problems at all.

JAWS
03-Mar-07, 03:08
This is just an example of the modern trend of over complication in everything. Anything less than perfection means total disaster.
I have no doubt that such problems will become far more common place in future. The fact that it has taken so long to tie down exactly what the contaminant was says that it must have been very slight or it would have been more readily found.
It just goes to show how over sensitive modern cars are anything out of the ordinary. Perhaps a fewer gimmicks would be the best solution.
Ford and VW seem to have produced cars which are robust enough to have ignored such a trivial matter which would seem to say a lot for their common sense as well as their engineering.

johno
03-Mar-07, 09:58
This is just an example of the modern trend of over complication in everything. Anything less than perfection means total disaster.
I have no doubt that such problems will become far more common place in future. The fact that it has taken so long to tie down exactly what the contaminant was says that it must have been very slight or it would have been more readily found.
It just goes to show how over sensitive modern cars are anything out of the ordinary. Perhaps a fewer gimmicks would be the best solution.
Ford and VW seem to have produced cars which are robust enough to have ignored such a trivial matter which would seem to say a lot for their common sense as well as their engineering.
dont think so jaws. my ford is fairly new and it has all the sencers that most cars today have. it must be pure luck that the lambda,s arn,t affected.in the ford,s. i think a lot of manufacturers share parts nowadays to keep costs down. so where maybe ford & vw share some bits with gm maybe pug, cit ,
renough might not be so lucky and share with some other brand, who knows.but my pal.s car in devon was affected and as he is mechanical he just removed the thing, sprayed it with wd40 refitted it and all was well. he reckons to do this till the gas is all used up or mixed enough so that it ll be ok

pentlander
03-Mar-07, 10:25
I've a mate who's a mechanic and swears that supermarket petrol is cack.
All to do with the quality of the additive package he recons.
When you think about it how come they can sell it a lot cheaper than BP and Esso who themselves are pretty major companies.
Truth is I recon most people couldn't care less if the fuel they use has a negative effect on thier engines performance so long as it costs them a couple of quid less to fill up. Me

Personally I fill up at the place nearest to me when I need petrol I don't even look at the price. Im not going to drive 20 odd miles to save 2p a litre.

johno
03-Mar-07, 10:36
When you think about it how come they can sell it a lot cheaper than BP and Esso who themselves are pretty major companies.
Truth is I recon most people couldn't care less if the fuel they use has a negative effect on thier engines performance so long as it costs them a couple of quid less to fill up. Me

Personally I fill up at the place nearest to me when I need petrol I don't even look at the price. Im not going to drive 20 odd miles to save 2p a litre.
yea im a bit like you, but now im wary of tesco & all other supermarket petrol.
the seed has been planted. :eyes

tenabowla
03-Mar-07, 10:50
The truth is the large companies can and do sell fuel cheaper where they need to. In Caithness, particularly Thurso we have the "cartel" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fran
04-Mar-07, 01:30
:Razz

================================================== ====

I dont think this is so, afterall, Tesco, elm tree and dunnets filling stations in wick are ALL the SAME price for petrol.