PDA

View Full Version : Swedens enegy policy

peter macdonald
28-Feb-07, 14:57
I found this last night

http://www.swedentech.com/docfile/58132_Energy%20policy.pdf

It would be very interesting to quanitfy Swedish energy resource against that of Scotland ... In other words could it be done here???
Now over to the experts!!!!
PM

scotsboy
28-Feb-07, 15:08
The political aim may be to remove Nuclear power from the equation, but reality on the ground is something totally different. I worked at the Ringhals complex in the mid 90s for a wee while, and have also visited many of the Swedish Nuclear reactors and Waste storage facilities. At that time there was a moratorium on the building of new reactors, what the Swedes actually did however was to completely overhaul and renew many of their older reactors, to prolong their operational lives. It is my understanding that legal advice was sought on how much could be done to stay within the confines of the moratorium, and so in some cases the only part of the original reactor that was left was the containment vessel.

peter macdonald
28-Feb-07, 16:02
Scotsboy roughly how many staff were working at Ringhels ..operational I mean not the guys doing the overhaul can you remember off hand ? many thanks
PM

cliffhbuber
28-Feb-07, 16:35
An interesting review of Sweden's energy policy.
I wonder what the frame of reference is for stating that nuclear energy is a non-sustainable resource for Sweden as the country plans to gradually shut down its 10 remaining nuclear facilities.

KittyMay
01-Mar-07, 00:07
There doesn't appear to be many similarities between the two countries. They've got an installed capacity (rough figures) of 33GW against 10GW in Scotland.
Their mix is - roughly - 48% nuclear, 41% hydro, around 7% fossil fuel and around 4% renewable, wood, waste, wind etc.
Ours is fossil fuel 50%, nuclear 24%, hydro 19%, other/renewable 7%.

This fact sheet suggests that Sweden intend to phase out nuclear - 48% of their capacity? They certainly won't be reducing their carbon emissions through generation of renewables and I notice there's no mention of what they intend to replace nuclear with - but the fact sheet is from The Ministry of Sustainable Development not of Energy.

They suggest that they'll increase wind penetration to 10 TWh (tiny percentage of total generation) - pifling in comparison to Scotlands scary target of 18.2 TWh (40% -renewable target as SE haven't seen fit to set an onshore wind target).

Scotland would be in big trouble if we phased out nuclear ahead of firmer renewable technologies becoming available - our carbon emissions would soar through the roof. Oh, just realised, that only applies if Scotland retains self sufficiency in electricity generation.

If Scotland relies on GB generation then we can totally ignore existing generation (retire the lot) and crack on with the turbines - according to the following.
http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/69582/0017404.pdf

I do admire the district heating schemes in Sweden and Netherlands. In the Netherlands they've got first class chp generators (mix of fossil and straw). IMO - this is the way to go. Our huge generators waste two thirds of the energy produced through heat, transmission etc in comparison to these smaller combined generators , located very close to consumers - heat and electricity - about 85 - 90% efficient.

ywindythesecond
01-Mar-07, 00:44
I found this last night

http://www.swedentech.com/docfile/58132_Energy%20policy.pdf

It would be very interesting to quanitfy Swedish energy resource against that of Scotland ... In other words could it be done here???
Now over to the experts!!!!
PM

Had a quick look, and I may be wrong, but Sweden seems to have a POLICY. Lets get one of those first!