PDA

View Full Version : Believe, that is all you need to do to avoid illness.

Rheghead
13-Mar-14, 22:53
I've been looking all my life for some sign that faith-based curative systems can work and I think I've found it, it is evidence based.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26483156

squidge
13-Mar-14, 23:41
I listened to something about this on the radio yesterday I think. Apparently there is some evidence that prayer works but only if those people being prayed for dont know they are being prayed for cos if they know they are bring prayed for they think they are worse than they are and this can affect their recovery ...at least I think that's what they said lol

Dadie
14-Mar-14, 00:04
I think washing hands helps...maybe not to the point of OCD hand washing ...but keeping germs away its the simple things that get ignored!...works for the common cold ...nothing else is proven to work for that, so must be good!
I believe in clean hands.:)
As for faith healing im on the fence .....if you want to look at it in another way , God provided the wisdom and doctors to provide the care and diagnosis ....and ultimate cure or if they cant pain relief while the patients faith gives them comfort ...
Is also like kangaroo care for prem babes ..skin to skin contact works miracles .....
Im prob wording this wrong and trolls will pick holes but ARRGHH!

Rheghead
14-Mar-14, 00:28
I listened to something about this on the radio yesterday I think. Apparently there is some evidence that prayer works but only if those people being prayed for dont know they are being prayed for cos if they know they are bring prayed for they think they are worse than they are and this can affect their recovery ...at least I think that's what they said lol

Agreed, education works

maverick
16-Mar-14, 16:05
I've been looking all my life for some sign that faith-based curative systems can work and I think I've found it, it is evidence based.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-26483156I found your link very interesting, although as a Christian, I believe that the spiritual gift of healing has never been available since the time of the disciples, it is my understanding that temporary gifts of healing were given to the disciples to prove to the Jews that the message of the disciples came from God. I have yet to find a genuine case of hands on healing by any Pentecostal Charismatic Ministry or any other ministry for that matter. If I am to understand the scriptures correctly only faith in Christ can provide healing, it wont come from anyone else.

ducati
16-Mar-14, 17:22
Good luck with that next time you get appendicitis. :roll:

sids
16-Mar-14, 17:48
If you truly believe you are well, you can't be all that ill.

shazzap
16-Mar-14, 17:59
I found your link very interesting, although as a Christian, I believe that the spiritual gift of healing has never been available since the time of the disciples, it is my understanding that temporary gifts of healing were given to the disciples to prove to the Jews that the message of the disciples came from God. I have yet to find a genuine case of hands on healing by any Pentecostal Charismatic Ministry or any other ministry for that matter. If I am to understand the scriptures correctly only faith in Christ can provide healing, it wont come from anyone else.

Doctor...............

richardj
16-Mar-14, 18:16
ducati, how true!

2little2late
16-Mar-14, 18:31
What a load of drivel. Anyone who believes in this needs to see a doctor. A quote from the article. "From another healer, Ian Andrew in Somerset, I heard of a woman who got a new heart as a result of prayer.

"Literally, a new heart?"

"Yes."

"What happened to the old one?"

"It was replaced." "

Hearsay. Where is the proof this actually happened?

maverick
16-Mar-14, 21:43
Doctor...............I should like to point out, that I was talking from a scriptural point of view, with regards to the Charismatic article that was linked in the op's post.

rogermellie
16-Mar-14, 22:52
that article is hilarious ...

'Alun and Donna Leppitt are the UK end of a worldwide fellowship of evangelical Christians called Global Awakening. In countries like Mozambique and Brazil, Global Awakening missionaries are converting people to Christianity with spectacular displays that claim to heal through prayer. They say they cure blindness and deafness in big open air meetings.'

and then ....

'Alun and Donna have not had any success with dead raising either. Last year, Donna's brother died of a heart attack. By the time they got to the mortuary, he had been dead for eight hours. They prayed over him for nearly an hour, and although at one stage they thought they saw him move, that was as good as it got.'

now, i'm no doctor, but even i realise that prayers/electricity/adrenaline shot straight to the heart, isn't going to bring back someone who's been dead for 8 hours.

'Alun himself has serious medical problems. He was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in his 20s, has had complications, major surgery, and is now on a waiting list for an ileostomy. He needs a miracle. But so far, and despite the prayer, none has come. '

not exactly a walking advert for this guff is he ?

thanks rheghead, you've unintentionally reinforced my views on these mentalists