PDA

View Full Version : kept alive or let to die?

brandy
30-Mar-05, 22:25
just wondering.. after reading all the stuff on the terri case.. and the increase in living wills... if God forbid something happened to yourself and you were only being kept alive viaa life support what would you want your family to do?
have you talked to loved ones about it?
not something you ever think about much you know?
we all make proviso for wills when we do die.. but just wondering what people think about this.. would you want to just be let go.. or kept alive in the hope that something could be done?
and thanks for your answers in advance..
oh and for myself.. if i was veg. let me go but euthanise me as i would not want my family to suffer thru me slowly wasting away.. very seriously doubt i would suffer much but just in case def want it fast and painless :D like everyone else!

jjc
31-Mar-05, 00:00
It very much depends on the prognosis given by my doctors. If I were in a situation like Terri where my brain were damaged beyond repair and there was no hope of recovery then yes, I would want to be left to die.

If I were in a situation where doctors had given me a 50/50 chance of recovery (or whatever chance really) and I’d shown no signs of recovery for several years then I would also want to be left to die.

If euthanasia were an option then great, but to be honest I’d rather go over a few weeks without food than spend twenty years without conscious thought.

Whatever the situation, I’d want for my viable organs to be harvested to help somebody else.

And yes, my other half is most definitely aware of this (she should be; she’s had me ranting on about some of the posts in the other thread for days ;))

brandy
31-Mar-05, 07:57
most def want to donate my organs! and if anything.. prays it never does* happened to my children i would donate thiers.. as their are so few children donors! i think it is great when people are willing to give their organs to save some one else.. and if you are in a veg state and kept alive your organs are in good working order.. so would be a lot easier to donate.. how mobid that sounds!

The Angel Of Death
31-Mar-05, 10:03
Same hear take all my "spare" bits the only thing i want to keep are my eyes people say there the gateway to the soul so there staying with me help yourself to the rest if you want them i wont need them

katarina
31-Mar-05, 10:38
I'd rather be dead than trapped in a dead body. Being dead is not so bad. If there is an after life, then we would be free to travel on to a better place. If there isn't we wouldn't know anything about it anyway - so what's so bad about it? People want to hold on to loved ones for themselves, whether or not it's best for the person.

kenimac1
31-Mar-05, 14:11
Why not make a living will, it's quite simple and at least yoeur wishes are made known while you're of sound mind and body.
I've done it though I don't know about the sound mind bit!

katarina
31-Mar-05, 17:37
What is the general opinion of life after death? and would that influence your decision?

lassieinfife
31-Mar-05, 19:03
I have no wish to survive as a vegetable... I work in a hospital and see patients being kept alive by machines and do not wish the same fate for me or my loved ones,but the desision is theirs,but they all know my feelings on this subject so know if no hope I will be "switched off" They can have any part of me that is of any use ,even for research they being limited by the fact that I am insulin dependent diabetic.We as a naiton of animal lovers wouldnt see our pets in this state yet we allow humans to suffer a lingering death because we cant bear to part with them. time to think of the patient and not ourselves

squidge
01-Apr-05, 10:34
I only know that at the point i heard doctors discussing whether i was going to have heart failure or not I wanted to live more than anything in the whole world. I lay awake all night unable to speak or move but i wanted that more than anything. Im here to tell the tale thank goodness. I think i would trust the judgement of the clinicians to be honest. If they told my children there was no hope, that i was gone from them in the way terri is gone from them then i would expect them to decide to let me go.

Rheghead
01-Apr-05, 17:06
What is the general opinion of life after death? and would that influence your decision?

Can you remember what life was like before you were conceived? Go on, think back...

If you can either yes or no to that question then you have found the answer to what the after-life is like.

2little2late
01-Apr-05, 20:44
Should the pope be kept alive then?

katarina
01-Apr-05, 20:49
Can you remember what life was like before you were conceived? Go on, think back...

If you can either yes or no to that question then you have found the answer to what the after-life is like.

Maybe we just can't remember. I always think newly born babies have so much intellegence and alertness in their eyes. they look around as if they are taking everything in. As if they are thinking ' Oh, so this is where I am this time.' After a few days, that intellegence seems to fade, and they just become babies to whom everything is new.

cliffhbuber
05-Jun-05, 03:41
:eek:

Lots of Life to ponder before the body wears out.
Need a tune-up?
May one suggest reading Thomas Aquinas' "Summa Theologica" to get a 'fix' on the potential of tapping into universal energies. (one can even bypass institutional religion)

the best
ps - nature and music work as triggers for me
:cool:
Cliff of Canada

Whitewater
06-Jun-05, 11:59
I don't know about life after death. I'm open minded and always have had a facination on subjects of this sort.

I think it is the Hindus that beleive in reincarnation, but you do not necessarily come back as another human, you can take the form of a dog or horse or any other animal depending on the sort of life you have lived.

There is also a religion now based on spiritualism with mediums acting as intermediaries professing to be in contact with the spirits of the other world ?? and claiming to be able to give and receive massages from the dead. The trouble with this one is that so many spiritualists have worked some of the biggest cons in side shows etc. now perhaps they think that if they do it under a religious banner it will be more realistic.

Last week at lunchtime there was program on ITV where various celebraties were put under hypnosis and taken back to previous lives, but the lives they were taken back to were all human ?? unlike the Hindu view of reincarnation. :eek: