PDA

View Full Version : Most scenic place in or around wick

jacko
07-Mar-14, 11:41
Hi, needing some help here, a cousin of mine is visiting soon from canada and is doing something special when over here,, he s asking me to select a nice scenic spot to hold it at . Any suggestions would be appreciated.Thank s in advance. Johno

YummyMummy
07-Mar-14, 11:45
If you have transport - up at the Stacks at Duncansby Head. Breathtaking scenery on a clear day - Stacks on the left and the coast on your right. Parking too:)

ducati
07-Mar-14, 12:52
The cliffs around old Wick castle

Stack Rock
07-Mar-14, 15:08
Staxigoe Harbour - but it's a secret

David Banks
08-Mar-14, 03:08
Hi, needing some help here, a cousin of mine is visiting soon from canada and is doing something special when over here,, he s asking me to select a nice scenic spot to hold it at . Any suggestions would be appreciated.Thank s in advance. Johno

I think you may want to ask a couple of questions.

How soon is soon (thinking about the weather) ?

What age of people will be attending -- it can be a bit of a walk to the Stacks of Duncansby from the parking lot at the lighthouse (as I remember it) ?

jacko
08-Mar-14, 10:25
I think you may want to ask a couple of questions.How soon is soon (thinking about the weather) ?What age of people will be attending -- it can be a bit of a walk to the Stacks of Duncansby from the parking lot at the lighthouse (as I remember it) ?Hi there David.their in their late forty,s.we do have transport and it will be early July so hopefully the Weather will be at it s best...kinda thinking the whalagoe stepS.. Just the climb back up I was thinking on,,,as there will be One of the party not to nimble?...

sids
08-Mar-14, 11:15
For "Caithness views," the one from the radio mast at Durran is pretty panoramic.

They may really want to see Highland mountains, so head west- out of Caithness!

donss
08-Mar-14, 13:18
late evening sunset out at Loch More...

squidge
08-Mar-14, 14:51
It's all lovely. Fab drive up and mooch about on Thursday and my fav sort of Caithness weather yesterday... Snow, crazy windy gusts, sunshine, half the sky black clouds half the sky blue sunshine. Got soaked. Then the wind blew my hair dry then soaked again lol. Drank it in.

hub61
08-Mar-14, 20:00
Anywhere on the North coast is good - give fantastic views of Orkney!! ;-)

gleeber
08-Mar-14, 22:50
Wick has loads of character but not a lot of scenery.

olivia
10-Mar-14, 17:29
The short climb up Ben Dorrery. Fantastic views over the flows and across all of Caithness. Can't beat it.

jacko
10-Mar-14, 17:32
That would be nice Olivia. But one of our company has walking difficulty s.. Thought about whalagoe steps but that too is outta the question.

wicker
10-Mar-14, 17:51
Dunbeath Strath

gingernut
10-Mar-14, 23:05
Brough Bay or Dunnet Head

David from Stockport
10-Mar-14, 23:38
Dunnet Beach

Moira
10-Mar-14, 23:41
I'm guessing you don't want to go far from the town centre of Wick so here are my suggestions.

Wick Harbour, Wick North Head, Wick South Head, Wick River (either side). Amazing scenery no matter which side of the river you are on. All pretty flat walking if you can get parked closeby.

And if it's a sunset scene you're looking for, park in Tescos carpark and get yourselves along to the wall between the pedestrian path from the A99 and the petrol station. Amazing sunsets to be seen for free over Ronaldson's fields, Wick River, towards Milton etc. Just watch the sunset times for the time of year.

jacko
11-Mar-14, 21:42
Thank s to all, thinking on the old mill at Forss near Thurso. Then i can take them back via Dunnet ,Scarskerry ,Castle of Mey.then Groats the stacks of duncansby in by Freswick through Keiss and back to Wick .

sids
11-Mar-14, 21:55
Has anyone suggested the Camps at closing time?

jacko
11-Mar-14, 23:18
Has anyone suggested the Camps at closing time?

lol. i guess there ll be tougher joints than that in Toronto .....[lol]

Alice in Blunderland
12-Mar-14, 06:02
Whaligoe steps would be great even for the not so nimble member of the party. There is a cafe at the top of the steps with a window facing out to the sea so you could sit relax and enjoy the breathtaking view from there after your climb back up.

Treud na Mara
12-Mar-14, 21:02
I know the Whaligoe Steps may be out but have you thought of a visit to the cafe there? You can drive right down to it and park outside then a stroll round the corner to the entrance. Spectacular views and interesting menu. They also do meals in the evenings by appointment, which would still give lovely views given the lighter nights.

jacko
12-Mar-14, 23:40
I know the Whaligoe Steps may be out but have you thought of a visit to the cafe there? You can drive right down to it and park outside then a stroll round the corner to the entrance. Spectacular views and interesting menu. They also do meals in the evenings by appointment, which would still give lovely views given the lighter nights.

i will be taking them to the step s and most likely will be using the cafe. but for this special occasion the step,s are a no no .. thank,s though.