PDA

View Full Version : Asteroid "close-call"

Big Gaz
06-Mar-14, 10:07
Just watched a short video on the asteroid that passed earth last night and listened to the British fella speaking about it. Right at the end he said that NASA telescopes have just spotted another two asteroids heading towards Earth over the next 24 hours. One will pass five times closer than Wednesday's asteroid and is expected to be on show on Thursday evening.

Am i hearing this right? that NASA have just discovered two asteroids which will pass earth tomorrow ??

sheesh, so much for the advance warning system i thought they had in place.

I guess 24 hours notice is all NASA seems to think we need these days.....

Kevin Milkins
06-Mar-14, 10:20
What advance contingency plan do you have in place for early warning asteroids strike, Gaz?

jacko
06-Mar-14, 10:29
Wear a hard hat....lol

Big Gaz
06-Mar-14, 11:17
What advance contingency plan do you have in place for early warning asteroids strike, Gaz?

Ooh quite a few i would think....

I would probably nip over the road and buy one of your "prestige mode" galvanised tin bins for putting over my head and ask politely if i could pay you the day after the asteroid strike :-)

But knowing me, i would more than likely

1. Sit back and laugh at all the peeps running around mad buying up food
2. Set fire to a £20 note, thus saying i went out with money to burn
3. Watch repeats of Coronation street or Eastenders....Oblivion would be a blissful alternative in comparison
4. Bring forward my birthday and invite everyone at short notice
5. Sigh with relief knowing it would be the last time i would have to read about windfarms and independence on e' org
6. Feel happy about the Glasgow Commonwealth games for the first time
7. Have a lie-in, knwowing i wouldn't be sacked the following day
8. Get sozzled, knowing there would be no almighty thumper of a hangover coming
9. Have a quick and thorough workout so that i would be physically able to kiss my ass goodbye

and last but not least

10. Live life to the full and tell it as it is, knowing full well that whatever i did, said or thought wouldn't matter a jot in the morning!!

Now where's that tin bin?

jax
06-Mar-14, 11:29
That's a good handy top 10 list. I thought protocol was to hide under the table & take a tin of beans??

Kodiak
06-Mar-14, 11:48
That's a good handy top 10 list. I thought protocol was to hide under the table & take a tin of beans??

I always thought you were supposed to stand in a corner with a Brown Paper Bag on your Head.

http://i.imgur.com/4gZsiSB.jpg

jax
06-Mar-14, 12:09
Nice one Kodiak :-)

Big Gaz
06-Mar-14, 12:56
Is that what you look like Kodiak? i would never have known you otherwise if i walked past you in the street! I'll be sure to say hello next time (as long as it's before tomorrow) :D

Kodiak
06-Mar-14, 15:48
Is that what you look like Kodiak? i would never have known you otherwise if i walked past you in the street! I'll be sure to say hello next time (as long as it's before tomorrow) :D

I wish I looked like that, even with the bag on the head.

No I am a LOT Older, Fatter, and Very Hairy.

George Brims
06-Mar-14, 23:19
NASA does not have an early warning system in place. They do have surveys going on to catalogue all the potentially troublesome asteroids. A warning system couldn't do much for us anyway as there's nothing we can do to divert one. Obviously it would be a good idea to move away from the coast if a strike in the ocean was predicted. Otherwise, not much to be done.

ducati
07-Mar-14, 07:48
As I understand it, they don't just hurtle around the solar system at random, they are in a stable orbit. There position in relation to Earth can be plotted well in advance.

But anyway, probably safer to blame the Torys. :mad:

orkneycadian
08-Mar-14, 12:29
Was a lot better when Morgan Freeman was the US president. He gave folk months of warning!