PDA

View Full Version : It is Climate Week

Rheghead
04-Mar-14, 11:07
Here is your opportunity to ask the Government to do more about climate Change.

Subscribe to a renewable energy provider.

Join a supporting organisation

Start an event going

Be a part of real change at the local level for the benefit of the fragile planet that we live upon.

http://www.climateweek.com/

ywindythesecond
04-Mar-14, 19:10
Here is your opportunity to ask the Government to do more about climate Change.

Join a supporting organisation

Start an event going

Be a part of real change at the local level for the benefit of the fragile planet that we live upon.

http://www.climateweek.com/

When you subscribe to a renewable energy provider, does that mean that you specifically agree to make your own personal sacrifice for climate change and pay the full cost of that energy including the cost of ROCs or FiTs in your own bill or does it just mean that you have been conned into believing that it is possible to only buy renewable energy and that you are happy to continue using the same proportion of fossil and nuclear energy as everyone else does?
Climate week sounds like a scam to make money for Renewables generators.

RagnarRocks
04-Mar-14, 19:11
I have been wondering what the Chinese make of climate week considering the smog problems they've been having recently

Rheghead
04-Mar-14, 19:39
When you subscribe to a renewable energy provider, does that mean that you specifically agree to make your own personal sacrifice for climate change and pay the full cost of that energy including the cost of ROCs or FiTs in your own bill or does it just mean that you have been conned into believing that it is possible to only buy renewable energy and that you are happy to continue using the same proportion of fossil and nuclear energy as everyone else does?
Climate week sounds like a scam to make money for Renewables generators.

Who cares what you think? Go ask the renewable energy provider.

ywindythesecond
04-Mar-14, 19:43
Who cares what you think? Go ask the renewable energy provider.
Engaged debate.That's what I love about the .org!

Rheghead
04-Mar-14, 19:49
Engaged debate.That's what I love about the .org!

Ha that is rich coming from you you never answer a question or acknowledge anything that is a credit to wind energy.

You are only against wind to get money out of action groups and expenses for going to meetings up and down the country. Your business is making money out of objecting to wind farms.

This thread is about Climate Week and not about what you think about scams and such like. Climate week is supported by the Ramblers Association, that well known pro-wind group.

Big Gaz
04-Mar-14, 20:33
Aye well i followed the links through to the electricity providers page and worked out that they can save me a whopping £56 on my electricity and £47 on my gas in a year. Not bad at all, thats £1.98 a week more in my pocket....but they say for every customer signing up, they will - quote "For every household that switches, Ecotricity gives up to £50 to the Climate Week campaign." So that got me thinking..... where does this fifty knicker come from then? then the penny drops! The mugs that switch to this service are the ones paying the "up to £50" and then you realise....wait a minute! how come Ecotricity can sell me gas and electric at a lower price than the big six can? then the penny dropped again!...the more customers than sign up for this service, the more wind farms they can build with the income! Well i'm all for green renewable energy but not at the expense of covering my country with the abominable windfarms. There's enough wind farms around here thank you!

ywindythesecond
04-Mar-14, 21:52
Ha that is rich coming from you you never answer a question or acknowledge anything that is a credit to wind energy.

You are only against wind to get money out of action groups and expenses for going to meetings up and down the country. Your business is making money out of objecting to wind farms.

This thread is about Climate Week and not about what you think about scams and such like. Climate week is supported by the Ramblers Association, that well known pro-wind group.

I'll try asking the question again, but in a simpler multiple choice format.

"When you subscribe to a renewable energy provider, does that mean that you specifically agree to make your own personal sacrifice for climate change and pay the full cost of that energy including the cost of ROCs or FiTs in your own bill?"

A. Yes
B. No

Mrs Bradey
04-Mar-14, 22:26
Aye well i followed the links through to the electricity providers page and worked out that they can save me a whopping £56 on my electricity and £47 on my gas in a year. Not bad at all, thats £1.98 a week more in my pocket....but they say for every customer signing up, they will - quote "For every household that switches, Ecotricity gives up to £50 to the Climate Week campaign." So that got me thinking..... where does this fifty knicker come from then? then the penny drops! The mugs that switch to this service are the ones paying the "up to £50" and then you realise....wait a minute! how come Ecotricity can sell me gas and electric at a lower price than the big six can? then the penny dropped again!...the more customers than sign up for this service, the more wind farms they can build with the income! Well i'm all for green renewable energy but not at the expense of covering my country with the abominable windfarms. There's enough wind farms around here thank you!where do you live big gaz ? only asking as I might pop round and pick up some of the pennies that keep dropping around your place, I'll be minted !!

Big Gaz
04-Mar-14, 22:37
where do you live big gaz ? only asking as I might pop round and pick up some of the pennies that keep dropping around your place, I'll be minted !!

Aha that would be telling but if you see someone walking around wick, jingling as they go and with bulging pockets and a big smile then just whack me on the head and rob me of my pennies! :Razz

RagnarRocks
04-Mar-14, 22:48
Aha that would be telling but if you see someone walking around wick, jingling as they go and with bulging pockets and a big smile then just whack me on the head and rob me of my pennies! :RazzThat narrows it down to 25% of the population worrying part is do you normally jingle in public ?

Big Gaz
04-Mar-14, 23:29
That narrows it down to 25% of the population worrying part is do you normally jingle in public ?

the more worrying part is why do you want to know lol!

RagnarRocks
04-Mar-14, 23:39
the more worrying part is why do you want to know lol!I thought there might be some law against jingling in public :0))

Big Gaz
05-Mar-14, 00:54
I thought there might be some law against jingling in public :0))

Doesn't Santa jingle all the way at xmas? :D

ywindythesecond
05-Mar-14, 00:55

"When you subscribe to a renewable energy provider, does that mean that you specifically agree to make your own personal sacrifice for climate change and pay the full cost of that energy including the cost of ROCs or FiTs in your own bill?"

A. Yes
B. No
Anyone back on topic?

RagnarRocks
05-Mar-14, 08:46
Doesn't Santa jingle all the way at xmas? :D
Anyone back on topic?He no longer visits Caithness due to climate change and wind turbines scaring his reindeer...there back on topic sort of :0))

jax
05-Mar-14, 09:51
I was hoping for some good weather this week, in the climate change

ywindythesecond
05-Mar-14, 10:07

A. Yes
B. No

I see I am going to have to answer this myself.

The answer is NO. Once electricity has been generated and fed into the grid it is impossible to say where it is used. Any organisation which claims to sell only renewable generated electricity is lying. The electricity it sells is the same mix as the electricity sold by all suppliers. Promotion of the sale of grid transported electricity on the basis that it is generated by renewables is therefore deceitful. Promotion of the interests of such organisations knowing that this is the case is...............what? ......... What would you call it?

Wizzbang
05-Mar-14, 10:21
I have been wondering what the Chinese make of climate week considering the smog problems they've been having recently

This is an old article from the daily mail.
I've not looked at the sources of the article but there maybe a little of the truth in there.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1350811/In-China-true-cost-Britains-clean-green-wind-power-experiment-Pollution-disastrous-scale.html

ducati
05-Mar-14, 10:33
This is an old article from the daily mail.
I've not looked at the sources of the article but there maybe a little of the truth in there.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1350811/In-China-true-cost-Britains-clean-green-wind-power-experiment-Pollution-disastrous-scale.html

No it is perfectly true. Lakes of toxic waste.

RagnarRocks
05-Mar-14, 10:37
I haven't been to china for many years but I will be honest even 20 yrs ago the pollution there was unbearable for me, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is true.

Wizzbang
05-Mar-14, 10:38
Shocking really
While looking on google getting carried away I came across something similar from late last year.

http://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/2013/10/23/big-winds-dirty-little-secret-rare-earth-minerals/

(better get back to work)

Big Gaz
05-Mar-14, 11:02
thought everyone knew that the wind farm industry creates more toxic radioactive waste in one year producing the magnets than all of the United States nuclear power plants produce together in the same timespan and for less energy output too!

jax
05-Mar-14, 16:31
thought everyone knew that the wind farm industry creates more toxic radioactive waste in one year producing the magnets than all of the United States nuclear power plants produce together in the same timespan and for less energy output too!Had no idea? I'll take your word for it as I'm not going to trwl the net for hours looking for facts. But how does toxic radioactive waste come from magnet making?

Big Gaz
05-Mar-14, 17:08
Had no idea? I'll take your word for it as I'm not going to trwl the net for hours looking for facts. But how does toxic radioactive waste come from magnet making?

The process used to extract the ore needed for the magnet gives the by-product of a chemical sludge that has a radiation level roughly 10 times that of normal background radiation. There are all sorts of acids, sludges and chemicals used in the process and mixing any of them is dangerous enough but pouring them all into a lagoon after use is just totally irresponsible. It dries out a couple times a year and the resulting toxic and radioactive dust is spread around and kills all plant, animal & insect life, pollutes earth and water and causes terrible genetic problems in people and livestock that invariably die.

Rheghead
05-Mar-14, 18:34
I see I am going to have to answer this myself.

The answer is NO. Once electricity has been generated and fed into the grid it is impossible to say where it is used. Any organisation which claims to sell only renewable generated electricity is lying. The electricity it sells is the same mix as the electricity sold by all suppliers. Promotion of the sale of grid transported electricity on the basis that it is generated by renewables is therefore deceitful. Promotion of the interests of such organisations knowing that this is the case is...............what? ......... What would you call it?

I'll put that response into the folder entitled 'Ywindy's Classic gaffs' but too polite to correct, along with with 'there's no Orkney subsea cable' and the 'The wind must have stopped suddenly for an hour all over the UK '

ywindythesecond
05-Mar-14, 19:18
I'll put that response into the folder entitled 'Ywindy's Classic gaffs' but too polite to correct, along with with 'there's no Orkney subsea cable' and the 'The wind must have stopped suddenly for an hour all over the UK '

Not like you to be polite Reggy, particularly when it is me, so feel free to correct me. Don't believe I ever said 'The wind must have stopped suddenly for an hour all over the UK ' but if I did don't be too polite to remind me.

jax
05-Mar-14, 19:45
The process used to extract the ore needed for the magnet gives the by-product of a chemical sludge that has a radiation level roughly 10 times that of normal background radiation. There are all sorts of acids, sludges and chemicals used in the process and mixing any of them is dangerous enough but pouring them all into a lagoon after use is just totally irresponsible. It dries out a couple times a year and the resulting toxic and radioactive dust is spread around and kills all plant, animal & insect life, pollutes earth and water and causes terrible genetic problems in people and livestock that invariably die.Does this refer to the magnet production in America? I can't see that pollution happening in Britain?

Rheghead
05-Mar-14, 19:52
Not like you to be polite Reggy, particularly when it is me, so feel free to correct me. Don't believe I ever said 'The wind must have stopped suddenly for an hour all over the UK ' but if I did don't be too polite to remind me.

You did say that perhaps not word for word but that was your misconception.

ywindythesecond
05-Mar-14, 21:43
You did say that perhaps not word for word but that was your misconception.

Reggy
I said” Don't believe I ever said 'The wind must have stopped suddenly for an hour all over the UK ' but if I did don't be too polite to remind me.”

And you have reminded me. It wasn’t all over the UK and it was only a five minute period. It was in the early days of my watching wind generation on the NETA website and one day there was a sudden downward spike which apparently recorded zero wind for that five minute period. In those days when we communicated like civilised people you explained to me that it had the characteristics of an instrumentation failure which I was able to investigate and indeed adapt my study methodology to compensate for such events. I even gave you credit for that some time later on the org.

We are not born with knowledge, we have to gain it. I had not heard of a subsea grid connection to Orkney and the grid map did not show one. I now know there is a subsea distribution connection to Orkney owned and operated by Scottish and Southern Energy as part of their distribution network. I now know that the downward spike I observed was instrument error. The trick once knowledge is gained is to use it wisely.

The downward spike which indicated a sudden loss of wind energy was put to good use in the preparation of my acclaimed report* “Analysis of UK Wind Power Generation November 2008 to December 2010” http://www.jmt.org/assets/report_analysis%20uk%20wind_syoung.pdf which showed that over the study period and over the defined wind capacity over the defined geographical area:
“2. There were 124 separate occasions from November 2008 till December 2010 when total generation from the windfarms metered by National Grid was less than 20MW. (Average capacity over the period was in excess of 1600MW).
3. The average frequency and duration of a low wind event of 20MW or less between November
2008 and December 2010 was once every 6.38 days for a period of 4.93 hours.”

Useful information which was influenced by learning about instrumentation spikes.

*To date the only criticism of it has been from Reggy, OKC, SiS, and devastatingly from Scottish Renewables who waded in with the damning “What do you expect from someone like Stuart Young”

Rheghead
06-Mar-14, 18:02
We are not born with knowledge, we have to gain it.

That is true but you are over a certain age, you should know from life's experience that the wind doesn't just stop but you were too eager to ignore your own experience but rather obsessively wanted to push your anti-wind agenda despite the evidence and reason.

George Brims
06-Mar-14, 23:15
There are about nine blokes all over the roof and sides of my house right now adding solar panels. I am becoming a power station.

Big Gaz
07-Mar-14, 01:03
There are about nine blokes all over the roof and sides of my house right now adding solar panels. I am becoming a power station.

Are they on overtime then? seeing as you posted the reply at 22:15.........

Guess your house will be "Brimming" with electricity from now on then :D

ywindythesecond
07-Mar-14, 21:10
That is true but you are over a certain age, you should know from life's experience that the wind doesn't just stop but you were too eager to ignore your own experience but rather obsessively wanted to push your anti-wind agenda despite the evidence and reason.

Absolutely right Reggy, and I should know from life experience that you will always avoid the difficult question, and usually by an offensive personal remark.
ywy2, take 100 lines.
"Must try harder to remember there is no point in trying to have a sensible conversation with Reggy.
"Must try harder to remember there is no point in trying to have a sensible conversation with Reggy."
"Must try harder to remember th................................

Bobinovich
07-Mar-14, 21:27
Are they on overtime then? seeing as you posted the reply at 22:15.........

You're the one assuming George Brims lives locally, or at least in the same timezone...if I recollect correctly from previous posts he is Stateside which would account for the number of folk working on his house at that time!

Rheghead
07-Mar-14, 22:57
Absolutely right Reggy, and I should know from life experience that you will always avoid the difficult question, and usually by an offensive personal remark.
ywy2, take 100 lines.
"Must try harder to remember there is no point in trying to have a sensible conversation with Reggy.
"Must try harder to remember there is no point in trying to have a sensible conversation with Reggy."
"Must try harder to remember th................................

Please direct the readers to any offensive remarks.