PDA

View Full Version : Why

lin
26-Feb-07, 15:01
I no this has nothing to do with bird watching but I am looking for some advice. Last week when I was walking, a crow attacked me, I live in Edinburgh, the street where it happenend was not a quiet street. anyone have any ideas why??[disgust]

nirofo
26-Feb-07, 21:14
I no this has nothing to do with bird watching but I am looking for some advice. Last week when I was walking, a crow attacked me, I live in Edinburgh, the street where it happenend was not a quiet street. anyone have any ideas why??[disgust]

Maybe there was food nearby, were people feeding the birds, if so it could be that they were competing for scraps and you happened to be in the way?? Crows are not known to attack people normally, could be it was a semi tame bird that someone had reared from a fledgling and was now flying free.

nirofo.

sassylass
04-Mar-07, 00:59
I've been attacked by birds, when I was too close to the nest....how was I to know?:eek:

steeko
15-Mar-07, 15:01
my brother was attacked by arctic skewers at dunnet head once. quite vicious they were, but we think he was close to a nest as they left me and my dad alone.

nirofo
15-Mar-07, 15:45
my brother was attacked by arctic skewers at dunnet head once. quite vicious they were, but we think he was close to a nest as they left me and my dad alone.

They would probably be Arctic Skuas, they can be very aggressive if you venture too near to their nests. Great Skuas (Bonxies) can also be quite aggressive, but I don't think any have successfully nested on Dunnet Head for several years. There are always Bonxies loafing about on Dunnet Head but I've never been attacked by them since they last nested there.

Here's a couple of pictures of Arctic and Great Skuas.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/nirofo/ArcticSkuafemale.jpg

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/nirofo/GreatSkua-Bonxie.jpg

nirofo.

spurtle
16-Mar-07, 12:57

Arctic skuas do not nest on cliffs, but on flat moorland, mainly, and they will certainly go for you if you approach too close.

steeko
09-Dec-09, 21:07
Arctic skuas do not nest on cliffs,.

Yes we were fishing the lochs of Dunnet Head, I like to keep away from cliffs myself

steeko
09-Dec-09, 21:10
They would probably be Arctic Skuas, nirofo.

sorry for the poor spelling, I sit corrected!

Kenn
10-Dec-09, 11:06
Just a thought, were you wearing any thing shiny in your hair lin?
Several members of the crow family are attracted by glittery objects and will make off with them.