PDA

View Full Version : Spring

squidge
01-Mar-14, 11:24
It feels like the first day of spring here today. Sun is shining. I have a lovely free weekend making stuff and everyone is well in our house for the first time in about a week and a half. My husband is playing the piano and little Fi is singing along. I have opened all the windows and it's chilly but fresh. Heading north next week so hopefully I'll spot some lapwings over the Caithness countryside although it might be a bit early, Gleeber once told me what they were called in Caithness but I have forgotten. Maybe someone else knows and will be able to remind me. What is everyone else looking forward to for spring.

Big Gaz
01-Mar-14, 11:33
A lovely free weekend eh? well go and enjoy yourself and forget about the org for the weekend. you won't miss it! :D

jax
01-Mar-14, 16:13
Enjoy the sunshine Squidge :-)

Mrs Bradey
01-Mar-14, 16:19
It feels like the first day of spring here today. Sun is shining. I have a lovely free weekend making stuff and everyone is well in our house for the first time in about a week and a half. My husband is playing the piano and little Fi is singing along. I have opened all the windows and it's chilly but fresh. Heading north next week so hopefully I'll spot some lapwings over the Caithness countryside although it might be a bit early, Gleeber once told me what they were called in Caithness but I have forgotten. Maybe someone else knows and will be able to remind me. What is everyone else looking forward to for spring.I saw a single lapping yesterday just outside wick. enjoying being outside too. grad to here your house all recovered!

Moira
01-Mar-14, 16:42
.......hopefully I'll spot some lapwings over the Caithness countryside although it might be a bit early, Gleeber once told me what they were called in Caithness but I have forgotten. Maybe someone else knows and will be able to remind me. What is everyone else looking forward to for spring.

They're called peewits up here Squidge. :D

Enjoy your trip North and I hope the glorious weather we've been having continues.

Aaldtimer
01-Mar-14, 16:49
They're called peewits up here Squidge. :D

Enjoy your trip North and I hope the glorious weather we've been having continues.

Actually in Caithness it's shockets, or shochads.:D

Moira
01-Mar-14, 16:54
Actually in Caithness it's shockets, or shochads.:D

Thanks for that Aaldtimer, mine was the "posh" version of the northern lapwing lol. But shochads it is, just like me on a bad hair day. :D

Ballymore
01-Mar-14, 16:55
Lapwings are called Shochad (pronounced shawcud) in Caithness. The other Scots word for Lapwing is Teuchit.

Aaldtimer
01-Mar-14, 16:58
Thanks for that Aaldtimer, mine was the "posh" version of the northern lapwing lol. But shochads it is, just like me on a bad hair day. :D

Nah, the posh name is the Green Plover! Or, Vanellis vanellis