PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded bedroom tax! - more doom and gloom!

Big Gaz
27-Feb-14, 20:26
Nice to see Westminster are really interested in the independence issue.....not!

Ministers have just voted by a clear 3-2 majority to delete the part of the dreaded "bedroom tax" bill, where if you have been on benefits/disability etc and in the same council house since 1996 then the tax won't apply to you. Well it does now! So it's cuts, cuts and yet more cuts! is this a taster of what life is going to be like after a failed indy vote?

joxville
28-Feb-14, 04:34
Absolutely, and worse is still to come. Even though it's been proven Scotland more than pays its way, if the likes of Pritti Patel have their way, Scotland is going to be hit hard. Don't say I didn't warn you.

sam09
28-Feb-14, 15:18
Right again Big Gas, and what some people do not understand is that 64% of families affected are in employment and low wage earners.

sam09
28-Feb-14, 15:21
Right again Big Gaz, and what some people do not understand is that 64% of families affected are in employment and low wage earners.

squidge
28-Feb-14, 20:41
And the latest thing is that if you are in a part time job and "deemed not to be doing enough to find full time work" then your housing benefit now can be sanctioned.

One of the issues around this is the "deemed" to be - when you look at those people who have been "deemed" to be fit for work over the last couple of years then you have to face this latest threat with dread. Apparently this will apply to people who work less than 35 hours a week at minimum wage and rely on housing benefit to meet their rent.

Words fail me!

ducati
28-Feb-14, 23:43
Words fail me!

Er...no, they don't.

squidge
01-Mar-14, 00:02
They did .... for a few minutes.... lol

RagnarRocks
01-Mar-14, 10:02
They did .... for a few minutes.... lolThat would be a first

orkneycadian
01-Mar-14, 17:56
So it's cuts, cuts and yet more cuts! is this a taster of what life is going to be like after a failed indy vote?

No, its a taster of what its like for any country that continues to spend beyond its means!

Oddquine
01-Mar-14, 20:20
No, its a taster of what its like for any country that continues to spend beyond its means!

As Big Gaz said.......a taster of what life is going to be like after a failed indy vote. It is the Westminster spending beyond the UK's means....as NI, Wales and Scotland don't get to borrow....and a large chunk of what we non-borrowing countries input tax-wise is spent on stuff Westminster wants, but some or all of the others could happily exist without.......like wars, Trident, 5000 foreign embassies/consulates and staff and, of course..... 1500 legislators with pensions, perks and expenses, over and above our own legislators in the devolved parliaments and their upkeep.

orkneycadian
01-Mar-14, 21:05
The legislators in our own devolved administrators are in fact the duplicates. Just like the £440 million white elephant at Holyrood is a duplicate of Westminster. But while Westminster has been there for hundreds of years, and will still be there in hundreds of years, our own white elephant in Edinburgh is reportedly to be shortly in need of replacement.

Its worrying to hear that in an independent Scotland, we won't have any foreign embassies or consulates. I guess that will severely limit our foreign travel and trade options.

Big Gaz
01-Mar-14, 21:21
Its worrying to hear that in an independent Scotland, we won't have any foreign embassies or consulates. I guess that will severely limit our foreign travel and trade options.

So will that mean that all the immigrant workers and settlers in Scotland will have to leave? Will all the Scottish people over the world then have to return home....including those in England?

some serious considerations needed!....

orkneycadian
01-Mar-14, 21:30
I know! All things that the Yes camp would rather gloss over than answer. Would be pretty galling to be a tourist in some far off country thats struck by some disaster. The rUK will have their consulates helping out the English, Northern Irish and Welsh travellers, whilst we Scots will be told "Sorry, you will have to sort it out yourself. There no Scottish embassy in this country, and we here in the rUK embassy are not authorised to lend you any assistance"

Oddquine
01-Mar-14, 23:38
The legislators in our own devolved administrators are in fact the duplicates. Just like the £440 million white elephant at Holyrood is a duplicate of Westminster. But while Westminster has been there for hundreds of years, and will still be there in hundreds of years, our own white elephant in Edinburgh is reportedly to be shortly in need of replacement.

Who says we won't have Foreign Embassies/Consulates? We just won't have 5000 of them with nearly 3000 diplomats plus ancillary staff. We don't think we need to have status symbols. And sure as hell, if our Foreign Embassies are asked to host trade delegations for us, they won't be charging us an extra £3000 for the privilege. The white elephants are the expensive ones in Westminster......after all, the Civil Servants and Big Business run the UK..why do we need the politicians in Westminster except to rubber stamp their instructions.

RagnarRocks
01-Mar-14, 23:48
Don't the big business's pay tax and employ people who pay tax which is where the money comes from to keep the country running or have I missed something. Trade delegations aren't those the things where the embassies and their staff promote UK based business to help exports that sell goods globally to keep companies profitable so they can employ people. I'd be worried if an independent Scotland did have embassies and diplomats the same size as rUK as there's abit of a difference between a country with a population of 60 million and one with a population of 5 million. Now another thing are you suggesting that an independent Scotland wouldn't have any civil servants running the country for the government or are you in favour of it being totally centralised run by el presidenti and his cohorts.

Oddquine
02-Mar-14, 00:00
I know! All things that the Yes camp would rather gloss over than answer. Would be pretty galling to be a tourist in some far off country thats struck by some disaster. The rUK will have their consulates helping out the English, Northern Irish and Welsh travellers, whilst we Scots will be told "Sorry, you will have to sort it out yourself. There no Scottish embassy in this country, and we here in the rUK embassy are not authorised to lend you any assistance"

I guess that will depend if Scotland is outwith the EU, won't it? EU citizens can contact any embassy of any EU country..and there are now EU Foreign Embassies as well, I think. And if we are both in the EU...that's one problem solved.isn't it..but given there will be Dual Citizenship, at least initially for those entitled to it, why would they be instructed to ignore us? :roll:

Anyway, haven't you heard......sharing facilities is getting to be the in thing nowadays to save money. Even Canada and the US are discussing sharing Embassies....so why couldn't we....though not, necessarily with rUK.

squidge
02-Mar-14, 00:48
The bedroom tax is a disgrace. Charging people for an extra bedroom when, even if people wanted to move there are nowhere near enough small houses for them to move into. There are bigger drains on housing benefit and this story from the Daily record about a privately run hostel for homeless men shows. 1.5 million the owners of this hostel receive in housing benefit a year and just see the squalor these people Are living in. Why on earth Glasgow City Council have not shut this place down since they seem to have been aware of the problems since 2010 I do not know.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/mar/01/scotland-poverty-homeless-bellgrove-glasgow?CMP=twt_gu

This is the original piece in the record.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/msps-condemn-slum-conditions-belgrove-3183637And

we are paying for people to make a profit from treating those least able to help themselves like this. Shocking and desperately sad.

orkneycadian
02-Mar-14, 11:00
I guess that will depend if Scotland is outwith the EU, won't it? EU citizens can contact any embassy of any EU country..and there are now EU Foreign Embassies as well, I think. And if we are both in the EU...that's one problem solved.isn't it..but given there will be Dual Citizenship, at least initially for those entitled to it, why would they be instructed to ignore us? :roll:

Oh, have I missed something? Has there been confirmation that we will be able to join the EU without any problem? I must pay more attention to the news. Last I heard, there was significant doubt over it. ;)

RagnarRocks
02-Mar-14, 11:22
Maybe they'll be happy if when independent not in the EU with no embassy's or consular representation and everything centralised a couple of big Russian warships haul up and decide not to go anywhere. Nothing that Vladimir likes more than a weak country without any friends.

squidge
03-Mar-14, 15:49
Meanwhile today in the UK http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/feeding-homeless-to-be-banned-by-tory-run-westminster-113433

RagnarRocks
03-Mar-14, 16:24
To be fair I wouldn't call Westminster a normal residential area where people normally live its for the vast part offices,government buildings, shops so why would a homeless person find themselves sleeping rough in that part of London maybe it's because of all the tourists which mill around that area. Keeping city centres clear of people who choose to target tourists is pretty much what most countries in Europe do. Maybe you've not been to London recently and seen the aggressive begging which goes on, drug addicts and pickpockets that inhabit that area.