PDA

View Full Version : Nicknames: What's yours?

The Pepsi Challenge
29-Mar-05, 17:30
As an aside, isn't it strange how (almost) every Caithness persons' nickname ends in 'a' or 'ey'? Or at least it sounds like it.

mareng
29-Mar-05, 18:09
So do dogs' names - happens the world over.

(apart from "Rover" and "Rex", of course) :roll:

p.s. Is the "u" meant to be missing from "stupidity"? - is that the joke?
(bit like: There are three types of people in the world - those that can count, and those that can't) :lol:

The Pepsi Challenge
29-Mar-05, 18:19
p.s. Is the "u" meant to be missing from "stupidity"? - is that the joke?
(bit like: There are three types of people in the world - those that can count, and those that can't) :lol:

No. But when I noticed, it seemed terribly apt. Right about the dogs by the way. Though mine used to be called Frunobulax, a poodle.

©Amethyst
29-Mar-05, 18:37
Heh... it does seem rather apt, dunnit?

At school I was called the most rude names ever. I daren't repeat them on a 'family' board.

Now I get called Red. I dyed my hair red before my 20th birthday back in January, and have kept it red since. Mind you, was called Gemma today - but that's not my name :p

George Brims
29-Mar-05, 19:00
mareng, there are only TWO types of people in the world - those that divide the world into two types of people, and those that don't.

Rheghead
29-Mar-05, 21:08
There are basically two types of people.
'Glass half empty' people and 'glass half full' people. I belong to the 'glass half full type', the majority of Caithnessians seem to belong to the 'glass half empty' type.

Anyway, back to topic, I luckily escaped having a nickname bestowed upon me.

gleeber
29-Mar-05, 21:21
'Glass half empty' people and 'glass half full' people. I belong to the 'glass half full type', the majority of Caithnessians seem to belong to the 'glass half empty' type.

Would you care to expand on your philosophy. :confused
Nicknames are seen as a sign of popularity. :roll:

lassieinfife
29-Mar-05, 21:48
You try telling that to the ones who were called fatty and the likes .......thankfully I never earned a nickname :)

Julia
29-Mar-05, 21:54
My nickname at school was Budgie.. luckily I left it at school too!

:p

Mandy
29-Mar-05, 22:44
My nickname at school was Budgie.. luckily I left it at school too!

:p

Budgie eh? LOL - I'll have to remember that one! :evil

~~Tides~~
29-Mar-05, 22:57

But there are the "Container at 50% capacity" types. :confused

golach
29-Mar-05, 23:24

I agree with my mate from the Glebe, Whats your philosophy and how did you arrive at it?
an my nick name whilst in the RNR was the Poison Dwarf

Golach

jjc
29-Mar-05, 23:43
Nicknames are seen as a sign of popularity. :roll:
Well that’s slightly worrying because my nicknames generally went along the lines of ‘English <insert expletive of choice here>’… I wonder if I’ve been wrong all these years and they were simply being affectionate.

Rheghead
30-Mar-05, 07:43

I agree with my mate from the Glebe, Whats your philosophy and how did you arrive at it?

Golach
Glass half full people seem to be optimistic and immediately see the positive in most things.
Glass half empty people immediatly see the negative in most things. Someone who calls themselves 'the original grumpy old man' should understand this.

Zael
30-Mar-05, 09:13
I dont think there was a single person in our class at school that didnt have a nick name, it was either a completely different name (usually cheek of some sort) or their own surname with an "er" or "ey" at the end. Come to think of it, if you listed all the proper names of the people I was at school with you'd be met with a blank stare, mention a few nicknames and then I'd remember.

Donnie
30-Mar-05, 10:08

I'm a realist. If I'm drinking from the glass then it's half empty. If I'm pouring in to it then the glass is half full. If it's not my glass then I don't care.

The Pepsi Challenge
30-Mar-05, 10:26
Heh... it does seem rather apt, dunnit? :p

What are you implying, Red? :confused

Julia
30-Mar-05, 10:45
I'm a realist. If I'm drinking from the glass then it's half empty. If I'm pouring in to it then the glass is half full. If it's not my glass then I don't care.

Makes sense!

squidge
30-Mar-05, 15:18
Im a glass half full person - or at least i try to be!

Nicknames were usually around how erm "curvy" i was. I hated nicknames.

golach
30-Mar-05, 15:41

Golach
Glass half full people seem to be optimistic and immediately see the positive in most things.
Glass half empty people immediatly see the negative in most things. Someone who calls themselves 'the original grumpy old man' should understand this.[/quote]

The question I asked was....Whats your phillosophy and how you arrived at it? Not an explanation of your original statement. I fully understand the half full / half empty glass theory.....But I cannot understand how you arrive at your point that Caithnessians all submit to the glass half empty theory.
I spent a lovely weekend in Thurso last weekend so I have now renewed my roots and I am sorry I was not able to be at the eyeball in Wick. And I found all I spoke to more than optomistic, so once again how do you reach your opinion
Golach

bigjjuk
30-Mar-05, 15:41
my nickname at school was streaky because i was long and thin like streaky bacon, so they reckoned, now im a healthy 14 and a half stone and 6ft 2

not streaky anymore :D

Rheghead
30-Mar-05, 17:37
The question I asked was....Whats your phillosophy and how you arrived at it? Not an explanation of your original statement. I fully understand the half full / half empty glass theory.....But I cannot understand how you arrive at your point that Caithnessians all submit to the glass half empty theory.
I spent a lovely weekend in Thurso last weekend so I have now renewed my roots and I am sorry I was not able to be at the eyeball in Wick. And I found all I spoke to more than optomistic, so once again how do you reach your opinion
Golach

Since my statement was purely based on unspecifics it would be unfair to draw on any specific Caithnessian to justify my opinion.
Already you have twisted my statement by claiming that I said 'Caithnessians all submit to the glass half empty theory.' which I never. I said ' the majority seem to be of the glass half empty type'.

I was merely pointing out my general impression of the number of Caithnessians that I have met so far. Perhaps the county's geography has a lot to do with it? Caithness is at the end of the line, so it gets the 'end of the line' goods and services. This must be an absolute breeding ground for negativity.

The fact that you have chosen to see an insult where none exists is a testament to yourself being in the majority?

lassieinfife
30-Mar-05, 17:50
Hey I dinne drink so which group that put me in?? :lol:

Zael
30-Mar-05, 18:08
Hey I dinne drink so which group that put me in??
Not even water? I would say that puts you in the "dead" group.

btw what has this got to do with nicknames?

George Brims
30-Mar-05, 18:51
Donnie wrote

I'm a design engineer. The glass was over-specified.

monkey
31-Mar-05, 16:59
mareng, there are only TWO types of people in the world - those that divide the world into two types of people, and those that don't.

GB... there are only 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

monkey
31-Mar-05, 17:14
Another angle on the glass fulness/emptiness issue is this:

Do I have sufficient to drink? Do I have some to share with others? if yes to both, then "my cup runneth over," even though it may be considerably less than half-full.

lassieinfife
31-Mar-05, 19:06
Im teatotal but would buy anyone a drink. :lol: .......life is to be enjoyed and whether glass is ˝ full or ˝ empty makes no difference :D