PDA

View Full Version : Today in Scotland

RagnarRocks
24-Feb-14, 09:42
Wondering as Mr Cameron is up in Scotland with his cabinet will Mr Salmond pop over to meet him or be a wee faertie and avoid him, he's been ranting about a debate today they are both in the same town.

Mrs Bradey
24-Feb-14, 11:05
Wondering as Mr Cameron is up in Scotland with his cabinet will Mr Salmond pop over to meet him or be a wee faertie and avoid him, he's been ranting about a debate today they are both in the same town.they should meet for lunch, see if they could get to dessert before the foodfight started! a debate would be nice. Sept is not long away now. a debate now and another one nearer the vote would be useful to the undecided.

Mrs Bradey
24-Feb-14, 11:06
or they could just fight behind the bike shed like schoolboys!

joxville
24-Feb-14, 14:09
When was the last time the Cabinet met in Scotland? The Tories have proven many times they don't give a damn about Scotland, or anywhere else outside of S.E. England, yet they decide to meet in the oil capital of the UK a few months before Scotland votes on independence. They need the oil, as well as Scotland's other exports, to help with a deficit caused by ineffective and corrupt politicians and greedy bankers. They're carpetbaggers and should be kicked all the way to the border and told never to come back.

mi16
24-Feb-14, 14:15
Why would the PM enter into a debate regarding yes/no
Surely that is the job of the yes/no campaign leaders?

Mrs Bradey
24-Feb-14, 15:33
Why would the PM enter into a debate regarding yes/noSurely that is the job of the yes/no campaign leaders?correct! as I see it the yes/no vote is nothing to do with Westminster, however as Westminster still rule the UK, then what are UK oil reserves (until otherwise negotiated) are!

rob murray
24-Feb-14, 16:29
When was the last time the Cabinet met in Scotland? The Tories have proven many times they don't give a damn about Scotland, or anywhere else outside of S.E. England, yet they decide to meet in the oil capital of the UK a few months before Scotland votes on independence. They need the oil, as well as Scotland's other exports, to help with a deficit caused by ineffective and corrupt politicians and greedy bankers. They're carpetbaggers and should be kicked all the way to the border and told never to come back.

Greedy bankers are not the preserve of England....RBS......hint...the S = Scotland. Also BOS : S = Scotland, as for corrupt politicians...Scots are whiter than white are they ?? Only carpet bagger I can see / hear is Alexi Salmonella, as full of wind as his non existant tidal energy crap.

vanman1
24-Feb-14, 18:22
cameron and co up to steal scottish oil before the yes vote in sept,

RagnarRocks
24-Feb-14, 18:54
Yes I noticed them all carrying 5ltr cans of the black stuff back down to Westminster. That should keep things going for a nano second or two at least.

Mrs Bradey
24-Feb-14, 19:12
Yes I noticed them all carrying 5ltr cans of the black stuff back down to Westminster. That should keep things going for a nano second or two at least.No way! the little tealeafs ! tut tut tut!

Mrs Bradey
24-Feb-14, 19:14
cameron and co up to steal scottish oil before the yes vote in sept, British oil !

vanman1
24-Feb-14, 19:52
the phrase only see them when they want something springs to mind. westminster scumbags

RagnarRocks
24-Feb-14, 20:48
the phrase only see them when they want something springs to mind. westminster scumbagsYou're on tip top form I must say . But like we say down south. " It takes one to know one"

Alrock
24-Feb-14, 21:46
You're on tip top form I must say . But like we say down south. " It takes one to know one"
Ahh... So you agree that westminster are scumbags....

RagnarRocks
24-Feb-14, 22:01
'twas not I making that comment

Oddquine
24-Feb-14, 22:58

Like Brigadoon.......it has been an appearance 3 times in just over 300 years! I agree with your view of it all.

I apologise for C&Ping a post I have made on another forum, but I feel, in this context, it is appropriate (and it took so sodding long to compose that I'm not minded to specifically re-engineer it for this forum). It follows...............

Is it only me who gets the impression that the debate is nearly all about what the rUK will lose if Scotland votes for independence, rather than how Scotland will benefit by staying in the Union!

As Lord Healey said: “I think [Westminster politicians] are concerned about Scotland taking the oil. I think they are worried stiff about it. I think we would suffer enormously if the income from Scottish oil stopped but if the Scots want it, they should have it and we would just need to adjust. But I would think Scotland could survive perfectly well, economically, if it was independent.”

Nothing to do at all with what is best for Scotland and the citizens of Scotland.......it's all about the oil (and Trident) and Westminster control and not about the poverty, the foodbanks, the crap infrastructure etc and Westminster's policies which are geared towards London and the South and don't work in Scotland.

The debate, until it doesn't do the No campaign any favours, appears to be going to focus on the oil industry for a while...hence the relatively sudden parachuting of the Westminster Cabinet into Scotland for the third time in 300+ years. Is it just a co-incidence that Cameron has chosen to hold this once in a 100 years appearance to show "the caring face of Westminster" (and I'm not even going to mention Brigadoon http://caleythistleonline.com/public/style_emoticons/default/whistle.gif ) in Aberdeen seven or so miles from where the Scottish Government is holding their long arranged equivalent?

It rather begs the question, though, that if the UK can, (as stated below) boost the oil and gas sector by £200 billion over the next 20 years, why on earth has the UK Government waited until now to even think about it? And is it going to happen before the vote on September 18th...or is it a carrot for (possible) implementation after the vote, as are the promises of some unquantified kind of further devolution...... at some stage.....if enough members of each UK party can agree on the form it will take.....and then if the Westminster Parliament can be encouraged to vote for it...(preferably before voting to remove the Barnett Formula).

We are expected to vote for this kind of lying by omission......
“The UK Government has spent 30 years suppressing its own report telling the Scots how rich oil would make them with independence.” (The Independent, December 2005)
and this kind of "benefit" of being in this Union ....
“Poverty in Scotland at its worst in 30 years.” (The Herald, March 2013)

When it comes to the oil, they don't even have the native wit to read from the same hymn sheet....so who do we believe.....the people who have continually said the kind of thing noted below, over the decades, at the same time as they are spending the proceeds of the windfall as if the income was going to be an eternally available resource.......or those who base their forecasts not on scaring the Scottish people away from support of the SNP in the earlier days, and Independence now, but on the forecasts of the oil industry and a sensible taxation regime to give more certainty to the industry than 16 UK taxation changes have in the past 10 years?

We have had, from Westminster directly, or via the MSM over the years........

“Oil and gas will run out by the end of the 1980s.”(Tory MPs Timothy Eggart and Peter Ross, January 1982)
“Oil will be running out by 1989.” (Labour MP Jeff Rooker, April 1984)
“The oil will run out by 1994.” (Labour MP Tony Benn, May 1979)
“The oil will run out by 2000.” (Labour MP Ioan Evans, February 1980)
“North Sea oil could run out by 2018.” (The Guardian, May 2008)
“North Sea oil will last for another 50 years.” (Daily Express, September 2012)
“North Sea oil will last another 100 years.” (The Telegraph, June 2008)

“There’s no bright future for oil revenue.” (Dumfries And Galloway Standard, March 2013)
yet also......
“North Sea oil and gas have a long and bright future.” (UK energy minister John Hayes, March 2013)

And while this kind of misinformation was being trumpeted loud and long, we have also had.....

“Alistair Darling is pocketing an extra £13m A DAY thanks to soaring oil prices.” (The Sun, April 2008)
and
“High oil and gas prices could lead to a Treasury tax windfall.” (Alistair Darling on BBC News, June 2008)
however
“Soaring oil prices could hold back the economic recovery.” (Alistair Darling in the Evening Standard, June 2009)
followed within months by
“Collapsing oil revenue will turn the whole UK into a banana republic!” (The Telegraph, November 2009)

And it continues to this day to fulfill the "make sure Scotland thinks oil is only a blessing if it flows into the UK Treasury and will only be a curse to Scotland if it is independent, because the UK needs it to try to balance their books" self-serving mantra.

After all, the UK can use this......“North Sea oil to give George Osborne £25bn boost.” (The Telegraph, February 2013) to compensate the public purse for some of the taxes they allow Corporate businesses to avoid, as the Tory/Coalition Government happily trashes the poor and disabled and prepare to do worse until 2015, and even worse if re-elected. Just think what we in Scotland could have done for our economy with that £25 billion!

So if Scotland votes for independence

“Scotland faces bill of £30bn after North Sea oil runs out.”(The Scotsman, April 2012)
“Declining oil revenue will leave Scotland worse off than the UK.” (The Telegraph, November 2012)
“The trouble with oil is that it’s a tremendously volatile diminishing asset.” (Alistair Darling in the Paisley Daily Express, December 2012)
“Falling oil revenues will mean savage public spending cuts or tax rises.” (Vince Cable in the Scotsman, March 2013)
“Oil revenue is volatile, and declining, and cheap gas from fracking will probably make it completely worthless.” (The Scotsman, March 2013)
“It’s not Scotland’s oil, it’s Shetland’s.” (Tavish Scott in The Shetland Times, March 2013)

But if we vote to stay with the Union......it all changes.....

“Oil and gas decline to halt as investment booms.” (Reuters, January 2013)
“Oil and gas will play a vital role in British energy needs for decades to come.” (Vince Cable in the Daily Record, March 2013)
“There are probably billions of barrels still to be found in Scottish waters, which is why we’re investing billions of pounds in looking for it.” (New York Times, March 2013)
“Analysts believe that Clair, along with other developments , could lead to the Atlantic overtaking the North Sea as the UK’s biggest oil-producing region within 20 years.” (BBC News, March 2013)

We are, of course, too wee and much too stupid to cope with the oil....

“Scotland will be so rich from oil you won’t be able to handle it by yourselves!” (The Telegraph, March 2013)

"SCOTLAND could lose out on £200billion worth of oil over the next 20 years if the country becomes independent, David Cameron warned yesterday. The Prime Minister pledged to fast-track recommendations that could help to pump four billion extra barrels from the North Sea. He said only the “broad shoulders” of the UK economy could subsidise the cost of recovering the hard-to-get oil." (Daily Record 24/2/2014) (just as if we hadn't lost out on on every penny it has brought in to the UK to date! http://caleythistleonline.com/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

although on the "broad shoulders" of the UK economy.....

"Sir Ian said a new approach is urgently needed in order to address declining production efficiency and exploration. The former head of the Wood group said the cost to the UK Treasury of the inefficiencies is estimated to be around £6 billion."

and yet a Norway which is just as small. manages its oil very well.........
“Norway’s oil fund grew by 18% in 2012 to £450bn.” (BBC News, March 2013)

And yet, despite
[I]“It’s definitely Scotland’s oil.” (Vince Cable in The Telegraph, March 2013)
we have, and I repeat.........
“Poverty in Scotland at its worst in 30 years.” (The Herald, March 2013)

If you want to check out the links to the various quotes...they are on http://wingsoverscot...r-busy-people/. (http://wingsoverscotland.com/the-oil-debate-for-busy-people/) bar the £200 billion jobbie (and I use that word advisedly) which is on http://www.dailyreco...n-warns-3177827 (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/prime-minister-david-cameron-warns-3177827) I have just set the information out in my own inimitable style for your reading pleasure.

Mrs Bradey
24-Feb-14, 23:11
wow! oddquine, I can see why you wouldn't want to type it again! your fingers would be a quarter inch shorter atleast ! I wonder how many orgers will actually read it all? I think I may have missed some!!

piratelassie
24-Feb-14, 23:13
Westminster has wasted oil money for decades.I'ts time for new management, imagine all that revenue coming to Edinburgh instead of it going to London, and what could be done with it.Roll on September.

RagnarRocks
24-Feb-14, 23:19
wow! oddquine, I can see why you wouldn't want to type it again! your fingers would be a quarter inch shorter atleast ! I wonder how many orgers will actually read it all? I think I may have missed some!!Ever heard of cybernats they are getting worried now the polls are showing the no vote up with more undecided and former yes voters changing their minds. You have to keep busy on as many forums as you can :0))

orkneycadian
24-Feb-14, 23:22
I'ts time for new management, imagine all that revenue coming to Edinburgh Kirkwall, Lerwick and Stornoway instead of it going to London Edinburgh, and what could be done with it.Roll on September the revolution!.

RagnarRocks
24-Feb-14, 23:25
Would that be the Democratic People's Republic of Orkney ?

Big Gaz
24-Feb-14, 23:34
Yes I noticed them all carrying 5ltr cans of the black stuff back down to Westminster. That should keep things going for a nano second or two at least.

They don't need oil, they are slippy enough without it!

Mrs Bradey
24-Feb-14, 23:35
Would that be the Democratic People's Republic of Orkney ? "viva la revolution"!

RagnarRocks
24-Feb-14, 23:36
They don't need oil, they are slippy enough without it!I thought ECK looked a bit greasy today thought he was going to slide off the stage or do you think the leaning was due to a few drams too many knowing the arch Tory demon was so close

Big Gaz
24-Feb-14, 23:43
I thought ECK looked a bit greasy today thought he was going to slide off the stage or do you think the leaning was due to a few drams too many knowing the arch Tory demon was so close

Hard call there but at least it would be Scottish drams if he was leaning over too much.

Besides - and apologies for hijacking your post :-), also in the news today is Osbourne wanting to give the Ukraine a blank cheque for anything up to £120m! to help them back on their feet.......Don't see him offering anyone else in the UK that kind of money to help them back on their feet. It's bloody amazing that they have no money left and are in desperate times and so therefore need to cut services etc etc, yet in the last month they found £10m for flood victims and now have come up with £120m to give away to Ukraine...hmm, a paltry £10m to aid UK flood victims but 10 times that to a far away country who if they do manage to get EU status will no doubt be shipping their trash off to British soil soon!!

RagnarRocks
25-Feb-14, 00:08
Well question is do you really want to see the Ukraine unravelling into a civil war... 120 mill is small change remember last time things went wonky down that area right on the edge of the Balkans about 100yrs ago

Big Gaz
25-Feb-14, 00:12
Well question is do you really want to see the Ukraine unravelling into a civil war... 120 mill is small change remember last time things went wonky down that area right on the edge of the Balkans about 100yrs ago

I dont want to see any country plunged into civil war but no other EU country seems to be coming forth and offering any aid so why the hell should we be the only one to fork out! re:- the last time you remember 100 years ago.....you pulling our plonkers on exactly how old you really are then? [smirk]

squidge
25-Feb-14, 00:13
Today David Cameron told us that there was 200 million barrels of oil to be extracted from the North Sea. Thats good to know. Puts a bit of a dampner on the "it will run out the day after the referendum" arguments. And then he said "But you guys wont be able to get at it if you vote yes " What?????

RagnarRocks
25-Feb-14, 00:18
I dont want to see any country plunged into civil war but no other EU country seems to be coming forth and offering any aid so why the hell should we be the only one to fork out! re:- the last time you remember 100 years ago.....you pulling our plonkers on exactly how old you really are then? [smirk]The Germans are probably worried about it same as everyone else we are thankfully far enough away to throw a bit of cash at it...as for my age depends on how many Portgower locals I get to feast on nightly some days I feel quite young but they are tending to stay in at night of late :0))

RagnarRocks
25-Feb-14, 00:20
Today David Cameron told us that there was 200 million barrels of oil to be extracted from the North Sea. Thats good to know. Puts a bit of a dampner on the "it will run out the day after the referendum" arguments. And then he said "But you guys wont be able to get at it if you vote yes " What????? Of course it will run out the day after if we turn all the taps off :0) what do you think big Dave was doing out there today he was checking the keys still fit the off switches :0))

squidge
25-Feb-14, 00:25
Ahhh right Rags!!!!! Im REALLY scared now

RagnarRocks
25-Feb-14, 00:29
I was disappointed that the ECK didn't run toward the PMs helicopter face painted half blue, hoist his kilt and and wiggle his cheeks that might of got him a few votes :0)

Mrs Bradey
25-Feb-14, 00:32
Today David Cameron told us that there was 200 million barrels of oil to be extracted from the North Sea. Thats good to know. Puts a bit of a dampner on the "it will run out the day after the referendum" arguments. And then he said "But you guys wont be able to get at it if you vote yes " What?????blimey who said it would run out the day after a yes vote?

squidge
25-Feb-14, 00:37
Aye I guessed you would be but he was a bit busy I hear. He held a public meeting in and was a bit busy answering people's questions. Cameron was a bit held up with all that checking of switches I guess and probably all the others too, clegg, hammond etc... Were needed to wiggle the switches and nod at each other. Shame they never got chance to pop out for a buttery.

RagnarRocks
25-Feb-14, 00:47
Aye answering questions shame he didn't answer the big one ...what's your plan B... Oh doesn't matter he won't need one as he isn't going to win

squidge
25-Feb-14, 00:56
See im sure he said that there is a "range of options" which is also what I read in the fiscal working groups report too. But not to worry .... You have clearly got a crystal ball to be able to offer such certainty.

orkneycadian
25-Feb-14, 09:39
Today David Cameron told us that there was 200 million barrels of oil to be extracted from the North Sea. Thats good to know. Puts a bit of a dampner on the "it will run out the day after the referendum" arguments. And then he said "But you guys wont be able to get at it if you vote yes " What?????

Wow! :eek: I knew it was bad, but not that bad. 200 million barrels is just 33% more than one north sea oil field produced in just one year in the early eighties. So, we have just over one years worth of peak production from just one field? Thats re-assuring to know - Not. Looks like there are way too many Jocks to share the remaining little bit of oil thats left with, and we should just keep the last of it going amongst the islands.

ducati
25-Feb-14, 22:25
Aye I guessed you would be but he was a bit busy I hear. He held a public meeting in and was a bit busy answering people's questions. Cameron was a bit held up with all that checking of switches I guess and probably all the others too, clegg, hammond etc... Were needed to wiggle the switches and nod at each other. Shame they never got chance to pop out for a buttery.

Blimey with all the other faults you accredit them with, they don't need furred up arteries as well.

squidge
25-Feb-14, 22:54
Wow! :eek: I knew it was bad, but not that bad. 200 million barrels is just 33% more than one north sea oil field produced in just one year in the early eighties. So, we have just over one years worth of peak production from just one field? Thats re-assuring to know - Not. Looks like there are way too many Jocks to share the remaining little bit of oil thats left with, and we should just keep the last of it going amongst the islands.

hahahah

200 Billion lol ! Sheesh This noro virus filled house has finally worn me out....... Serves me right posting whilst handing out the sick bucket and mopping fevered brows!!! I REALLY shouldnt have been first to get it.... Im shattered :(

Mrs Bradey
26-Feb-14, 09:56
hahahah200 Billion lol ! Sheesh This noro virus filled house has finally worn me out....... Serves me right posting whilst handing out the sick bucket and mopping fevered brows!!! I REALLY shouldnt have been first to get it.... Im shattered :(being first to get ill in a big family, not a good idea. Get well soon!